Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why using Aubrey Organics natural products is so important to me :)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy using Aubrey Organics natural products is so important to me :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why using Aubrey Organics natural products is so important to me :)
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:51am
Hello :)I thought it might be a good idea to share with you why natural hair products such as Aubrey Organics are so important to me.Yes, I was blessed with enough hair for three people (I've heard this all my life), but all my life I've also had very sensitive skin and been in and out of dermatologist's offices since I was eight and a half years old (I joke to people that I'm a dermatologist's dream with my sensitive former acne skin, sebborheic dermatitis on my scalp, excema on my elbows. LOL!). When I was eight and a half until I was sixteen and then again from age twenty two until twenty nine, the problem was acne (Lucky for me there was Accutane which I was prescribed twice and now my complexion is still sensitive, still somewhat oily, but basically clear. YAY!! Unless you have suffered from acne, you have no idea what it's like to look in the mirror and see a clear face looking back at you. It's amazing!) However inbetween the bouts of acne, my scalp started acting up, and it was back to the dermatologist's office when I was about twenty two. She told me I had sebborhea and just to use a dandruff shampoo (Insert rolling of the eyes here), but when I asked her specific questions like which one to use, how to treat this, ect. she never answered me (She didn't have much of a bed side manner and when I tried to tell her my concerns, she wouldn't listen.) She just said to "use dandruff shampoo" and gave me a whole bag of Neutragena T-gel samples before I left. Lovely! NOT!So what did I do? I decided to experiment, did some reasearch, and read a lot during that period. I learned a lot about different ingrediants, their effects on the body, and then one day I stumbled across Aubrey Hampton's book "Natural Skin and Hair Care". That's where I learned about natural ingrediants, how herbs could be used to treat different skin and scalp conditions, ect. One of the first natural hair care products I used for many years ago was Tom's of Maine's Aloe and Almond shampoo.It was very important for me to use natural skin and hair products because of the problems I had with my sensitive skin and hair. I wanted to use products that would treat my skin gently, have a positive effect on them, and feel good about using. I found out by trial and error that when I used drugstore and even some salon products, that they irritated my skin, broke them out, and then it was back again to the doctor's office where I always heard the same thing again and again which was "Don't use Suave. Try Pantene. Oh, and don't use conditioner either." (Actually my regular doctor was a lot more helpful than the dermatologist) When I used natural skin and hair products, I found out that I didn't have those problems anymore.The best natural hair care and skin products I've ever used are Aubrey Organics. I LOVE Aubrey Organics not only because they are natural, but because of the wonderful things they are doing for my skin and hair.Maria :)Related Link:Maria In Mass
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:51am
Hi Maria,I really, really am glad that you found products that work for you! But I do hope you understand that there are many "natural" products that can also cause damage! As I mentioned in another post, cyanide is a "natural" product, yet I don't think any of us want to use it on our hair!!Conversely, there is a very gentle cleanser called Cetaphil. I'm honestly not sure if the ingredients are natural or man-made, but as a person with very sensitive skin myself, I've found out that it is one of the few cleansers that I can use that is gentle and effective.Many "natural" products contain oils that have potential for irritation. Peppermint oil smells wonderful! But if it's used closed to the scalp, it's going to irritate some scalps.Please understand I'm not trying to critize you at all. But I think we need to make a very clear distinction between what is natural and what is gentle. "Natural" is a buzzword. It's also technically more "natural" to wear mink fur than acrylic.We all want to use products that will be gentle to our hair. Many natural products are gentle to the hair! And many are not. And by the same token, many "man-made" products are gentle (and some are not gentle) to the hair.Saying that "natural" is automatically gentler is simply not true. The generalizations are what get us into trouble. Some hair companies make products that are very gentle and some that are actually harmful. That's why it's much more helpful to name specific products rather than saying "Company XYZ" is a good company.Regards,Jena
Sherry LaBree View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry LaBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:51am
Hi Jenna and Maria,Jenna, i think you stated your 'natural vs gentle' concern very well... I couldn't have said it better myself. I personally have tried out Aubrey (specifically the Honeysuckle Rose line, the J.A.Y and the Jojoba and Aloe) and really found them to be QUITE drying to my hair. I have also recently read that the Coconut based soap that Aubrey uses as the cleansing detergent is very drying to the hair-- this is probably why I my hair felt like straw after I washed it-- I literaly could NOT get a comb or my fingers through it and ended up using some ARTec Moisture Pac to detangle. I have tried the so-called Organic lines out there and haven't really been satisfied by any of them... I just lost a great deal of money in trying them out. Thanks for bringing up this topic... I am glad that Aubrey works for some people and that they are happy, it just definitely didn't work for me :(Sherry> Hi Maria,> I really, really am glad that you found products that> work for you! But I do hope you understand that there> are many "natural" products that can also> cause damage! As I mentioned in another post, cyanide> is a "natural" product, yet I don't think> any of us want to use it on our hair!!> Conversely, there is a very gentle cleanser called> Cetaphil. I'm honestly not sure if the ingredients are> natural or man-made, but as a person with very> sensitive skin myself, I've found out that it is one> of the few cleansers that I can use that is gentle and> effective.> Many "natural" products contain oils that> have potential for irritation. Peppermint oil smells> wonderful! But if it's used closed to the scalp, it's> going to irritate some scalps.> Please understand I'm not trying to critize you at> all. But I think we need to make a very clear> distinction between what is natural and what is> gentle. "Natural" is a buzzword. It's also> technically more "natural" to wear mink fur> than acrylic.> We all want to use products that will be gentle to our> hair. Many natural products are gentle to the hair!> And many are not. And by the same token, many> "man-made" products are gentle (and some are> not gentle) to the hair.> Saying that "natural" is automatically> gentler is simply not true. The generalizations are> what get us into trouble. Some hair companies make> products that are very gentle and some that are> actually harmful. That's why it's much more helpful to> name specific products rather than saying> "Company XYZ" is a good company.> Regards,> Jena
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:51am
I could kick myself now for not saving it, but some women's mag just did a story on "herbal" and "all-natural" products. One of the myths they debunked is that these products are gentler or better for you. People can have an allergic reaction to an herb as readily as to a chemical. (And no, the article did not /attack/ herbal products. It weighed the pros and cons. It even pointed out that natural products tend to be more aesthetically pleasant.)Now, I swear, I am not bashing Aubrey O. I've never tried the line. But I love Aveda, and I am a regular at GNC. I take all kinds of health shakes made with blueberry extract, St. John's Wort, Gingko Biloba, etc. I too like the idea of "all natural" (Isn't that part of why some of us dig long hair so much?)But my friend Rick, who is a total granola boy and works on an organic farm in the summer, can't use Aubrey soap, because it's too harsh for his skin.I think a lot of people buy organic or natural to soothe their conscience, believing they are doing something to help the environment, when really such a gesture is insignificant. Usually, these same people will throw the bottle away without thinking.As for the Aubrey employee's assertion that Begoun is not an herbalist, well....that's not really making a point. How many professional colorists are chemists? Does that mean they don't know a good product from a bad one? Should we ask chemists what to put in our hair?It's times like this I REALLY wish the Hair Politics Board was back in business, because this thread now belongs there. :)Ally
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:52am
> I could kick myself now for not saving it,I've experienced that with way too many articles and know just how you feel!>One of the myths> they debunked is that these products are gentler or> better for you. People can have an allergic reaction> to an herb as readily as to a chemical.A*b*s*o*l*u*t*e*l*yWe're only kidding ourselves if we believe that anything with the word "natural" on it is good for us. I think you and I are very similar on this viewpoint. We want as natural as possible as long as it's as gentle as possible and is good for us! I do not want harmful chemicals used on my body or in my body. During the summer, we use natural methods in gardening instead of herbicides or pesticides.One area upon which I think companies can greatly improve is in the use of dyes. Do we really need "pretty" colors in our laundry detergent and shampoos? What's worse yet is in our food.True story. In the bakery of one of my local grocery stores, I was looking at a label of their 100% whole wheat homemade bread. I saw that some blue and yellow and I think red dyes were used. I asked the baker why they were used. He replied so that the bread would look more like whole wheat. Then I said, "But isn't it whole wheat?" He replied yes. Then I asked, "Then why do you use dyes to make it look more like what it already is?!" He gave me a blank look like he had no idea what I was saying!!>>As for the Aubrey employee's assertion that Begoun is not an herbalist, well....that's not really making a point. How many professional colorists are chemists? Does that mean they don't know a good product from a bad one? Should we ask chemists what to put in our hair?Excellent point, Ally!!
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:52am
> I could kick myself now for not saving it, but some> women's mag just did a story on "herbal" and> "all-natural" products. One of the myths> they debunked is that these products are gentler or> better for you. People can have an allergic reaction> to an herb as readily as to a chemical. (And no, the> article did not /attack/ herbal products. It weighed> the pros and cons. It even pointed out that natural> products tend to be more aesthetically pleasant.)> Now, I swear, I am not bashing Aubrey O. I've never> tried the line. But I love Aveda, and I am a regular> at GNC. I take all kinds of health shakes made with> blueberry extract, St. John's Wort, Gingko Biloba,> etc. I too like the idea of "all natural"> (Isn't that part of why some of us dig long hair so> much?)> But my friend Rick, who is a total granola boy and> works on an organic farm in the summer, can't use> Aubrey soap, because it's too harsh for his skin.> I think a lot of people buy organic or natural to> soothe their conscience, believing they are doing> something to help the environment, when really such a> gesture is insignificant. Usually, these same people> will throw the bottle away without thinking.> As for the Aubrey employee's assertion that Begoun is> not an herbalist, well....that's not really making a> point. How many professional colorists are chemists?> Does that mean they don't know a good product from a> bad one? Should we ask chemists what to put in our> hair?> It's times like this I REALLY wish the Hair Politics> Board was back in business, because this thread now> belongs there. :)> AllyI totally agree with you as far as the allergic reactions goes. I am allergic to ragweed which gives me very bad asthma attacks. Chamomille is supposed to be very soothing and healing and is showing up in a lot of products from hair to skin, and while it may work great for some, this herb is a weed so if you're allergic to ragweed you cannot use products that contain this. Same goes for that great cold remedy Echineacia (sp?). That is also a weed and gave me severe ashthma when I took it to prevent a cold.
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:52am
Dear Roberta,Ack!! Is it really true that if we have asmtha (Yes, I have asmtha), we shouldn't use anything containing chamomile, ragweed, or echinea? Chamomile and echinea are ragweeds? And products (even skin and hair products?)containing these ingrediants, can really make our asmtha worse? Will make us wheeze?? Is this really true?? Oh no!! I just looked on the ingrediant list of all my favorite Aubrey Organics skin and hair products and guess what?! Most of them contain the chamomile? I'm devasted!!Please say this isn't so!! You have no idea how long and hard I've looked for skin and hair products that worked well for my skin and hair. I had no idea that chamomille was bad for the asmtha though. I'm so sad now!! :(PS. Are you sure this is true??? Anybody else hear this?? I'm calling my doctor today and asking!Maria Related Link:Maria In Mass
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:52am
Hi, Maria,Echinacea is not a ragweed. I would have to do some research on chamomile, but I have grown both of these plants, so I do have experience with both. Echinacea is the "purple coneflower" you may have seen growing in people's gardens. Also, the term "weed" is quite relative, referring to a plant that is not planted in a garden or farm, and therefore considered undesirable in that context. But the correlation of "weed" equals something bad for you, is inaccurate. If that were true, then all plants growing naturally in the wild, and not cultivated by people, would be "weeds". I cannot really comment on whether or not they would have a negative effect on asthma, but I would tend to think that each person would probably respond to them differently.I will try to find out more info on chamomile, but I hope this helps for now.Regards,Clare> Dear Roberta,> Ack!! Is it really true that if we have asmtha (Yes, I> have asmtha), we shouldn't use anything containing> chamomile, ragweed, or echinea? Chamomile and echinea> are ragweeds? And products (even skin and hair> products?)containing these ingrediants, can really> make our asmtha worse? Will make us wheeze?? Is this> really true?? Oh no!! I just looked on the ingrediant> list of all my favorite Aubrey Organics skin and hair> products and guess what?! Most of them contain the> chamomile? I'm devasted!!> Please say this isn't so!! You have no idea how long> and hard I've looked for skin and hair products that> worked well for my skin and hair. I had no idea that> chamomille was bad for the asmtha though. I'm so sad> now!! :(> PS. Are you sure this is true??? Anybody else hear> this?? I'm calling my doctor today and asking!> Maria > but did not think it had anything to do with my skin> and hair products. Oh well, back to square one now I> guess. Ack!!
Clare
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:52am
> Hi, Maria,> Echinacea is not a ragweed. I would have to do some> research on chamomile, but I have grown both of these> plants, so I do have experience with both. Echinacea> is the "purple coneflower" you may have seen> growing in people's gardens. Also, the term> "weed" is quite relative, referring to a> plant that is not planted in a garden or farm, and> therefore considered undesirable in that context. But> the correlation of "weed" equals something> bad for you, is inaccurate. If that were true, then> all plants growing naturally in the wild, and not> cultivated by people, would be "weeds". I> cannot really comment on whether or not they would> have a negative effect on asthma, but I would tend to> think that each person would probably respond to them> differently.> I will try to find out more info on chamomile, but I> hope this helps for now.> Regards,> ClareMy asthma is a result of an allergic reaction to ragweed, and it only occurs during ragweed season. I did not say Echinacea is a ragweed, but it IS in the weed family and from my own experience when I took it I had more trouble breathing. As for Chamomille, I HAVE read in several magazines that say if you are allergic to ragweed you should stay away from Chamomille because it IS in the weed family of some kind. I do use products that contain Chamomille like hair products and my foundation but they seem to be in such small amounts that they don't affect me. However, if I drink Chamomille tea I have trouble breathing. This is not to say that if your asthma is caused by something else you shouldn't use products with Chamomille but if you are allergic to ragweed and if it makes your symptoms worse you shouldn't use them. The best thing I would suggest is to ask your doctor since I am not a doctor and can only go by what I have read and my own experiences.
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> My asthma is a result of an allergic reaction to> ragweed, and it only occurs during ragweed season. I> did not say Echinacea is a ragweed, but it IS in the> weed family and from my own experience when I took it> I had more trouble breathing. As for Chamomille, I> HAVE read in several magazines that say if you are> allergic to ragweed you should stay away from> Chamomille because it IS in the weed family of some> kind. I do use products that contain Chamomille like> hair products and my foundation but they seem to be in> such small amounts that they don't affect me. However,> if I drink Chamomille tea I have trouble breathing.> This is not to say that if your asthma is caused by> something else you shouldn't use products with> Chamomille but if you are allergic to ragweed and if> it makes your symptoms worse you shouldn't use them.> The best thing I would suggest is to ask your doctor> since I am not a doctor and can only go by what I have> read and my own experiences.I just found this website that gives info on Chamomille, including the fact that if you're allergic to ragweed pollen you should stay away from it if it causes problems for you. I think when people think of weeds they only think of the kind that grow in their garden but when doctors talk about it as far as allergies it covers a whole catagory of flowered plants that produce pollen which aggravates allergies. Echinacea is a flowered plant. I will research that one when I have more time. The chamomille website is below.
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> I just found this website that gives info on> Chamomille, including the fact that if you're allergic> to ragweed pollen you should stay away from it if it> causes problems for you. I think when people think of> weeds they only think of the kind that grow in their> garden but when doctors talk about it as far as> allergies it covers a whole catagory of flowered> plants that produce pollen which aggravates allergies.> Echinacea is a flowered plant. I will research that> one when I have more time. The chamomille website is> below.Sorry, the url didn't post. It's http://www.go-symmetry.com/chamomile.htm
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:52am
Maria,It's possible your wheeziness is due to something else. Why not do a test run of something else and see if it goes away? I could be wrong, but it seems to me if the chamomille has to be /inhaled/ to aggravate asthma, it wouldn't be a big problem in a shampoo...Ally
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:53am
Hi, Everyone :)Thanks everyone for your posts! Just wanted to let you know I called my doctor today and asked her. She told me I can continue to use my all natural products without effecting the asmtha. YAY!!Thanks again!!*Big hugs to all for your help*MariaRelated Link:Maria In Mass
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:53am
> Hi, Everyone :)> Thanks everyone for your posts! Just wanted to let you> know I called my doctor today and asked her. She told> me I can continue to use my all natural products> without effecting the asmtha. YAY!!> Thanks again!!> *Big hugs to all for your help*> MariaI'm glad you called your doctor and he told you it was okay to use the products you have. I'm sure the small amount that they use in hair and skin products aren't enough to affect asthma and it was probably during ragweed season that I was using them so that may be why I thought they were adding to it when they may not have been. I think it's a good idea for everyone to call their doctor instead of guessing about advice.... I surely never claimed to be an expert.
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:53am
> I'm glad you called your doctor and he told you it was> okay to use the products you have. I'm sure the small> amount that they use in hair and skin products aren't> enough to affect asthma and it was probably during> ragweed season that I was using them so that may be> why I thought they were adding to it when they may not> have been. I think it's a good idea for everyone to> call their doctor instead of guessing about advice....> I surely never claimed to be an expert.I was just wondering what actually causes your asthma because if it's not caused by ragweed or pollen that's why those products also would not affect you. Mine is from an allergic reaction to them.
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:53am
Hi Roberta :)That's a good question. The thing is, I am not sure. I have no family history of asmtha, but my doctor tells me that the gene for asmtha, excema, and allergies are related. When I was a child (and as an adult too) it seemed in the spring and fall my nose would always run, but never saw a doctor for it. I just thought it was a cold and used to joke I just had a sensitive nose. Then about three years ago, I noticed in cold weather or if I ran for a bit, I would make this strange whistling noise. I had no idea what it was. When this first happened three or four years ago, whistling away I came into the house and asked my Mother and sister who were in the kitchen "Do you hear this noise? What is it?" When it happened another time, I made an appointment with my doctor and that's when she hooked me up to that little machine and measured my peak flow rate. She told me it was mild asmtha and prescribed me inhalers. She also thinks I have allergies because last summmer I noticed every time I went outside and mowed the lawn, I'd come into the house wheezing. I have no idea though except for pollen, exactly what I'm allergic too though. Last time I came in complaining about the dang wheezing after mowing the lawn LOL, she told me that if I kept coming in she was going to send me for allergy tests. I'm convinced that yes, I do have allergies both the pollen and dust kind as well as skin allergies. I sure would like to know though exactly what I'm allergic too!!Same thing for the scalp disorder. Now the dermatologist told me years ago, it was sebborhea but I'm convinced it's sebborheic dermatitis. However when I asked to see a dermatologist, my doctor told me "I'm not going to tell you anything that a dermatologist wouldn't tell you". I talked with this today with my family dentist who knows my old childhood dermatologist and he told me "That's the standard thing they say to you when the HMO wants to save money from sending you to a specialist". HA!Guess what? Come Monday I'm getting on the phone, making the appointment with the dermatologist and insisting on a referal from my primary physcian. I'm also going to tell them I really want some allergy tests done. Yes, we're going to have a nice little chat session. LOL!LOL you go Maria, you go...onward sister soljer as one of my friends likes to say!! LOL!!PS. My Father is also a heavy smoker and I feel that second hand smoke has something to do with my developing the Asmtha also.*Hugs*Maria :)MariaRelated Link:Maria In Mass
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic