Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shrinkies...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 11:08pm
yes there is different grades of Kanekalon just as there are different grades of human. Most all beauty supply stores carry Yaki because its the cheapest, and I do mean cheapest. Ive found a few websites that carry the different grades of Kanekalon. My wigs are made of Kanekalon on a weft and I even have some websites for wig making supplies where you can buy the hair.

If I do decide to go with Kanekalon I might get it from here:

http://www.texasbeautysupply.com/kknewbodywave.html

You can click on the picture for a nice close up and you can see the silky look of it and it comes with a slight curl.

Best of all IMO, they take PayPal...lol

Em
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
commonpleasure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commonpleasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:42pm
hahahaah look at that. ask and ye shall...as you post!

thanks so much!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commonpleasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:41pm
should. i'm not exactly an amateur with the message board thing and i simply cannot find the thread.

link? please? i swear i'm not lazy, i just can't find it. and i'm really worried that i made a huge mistake here. of course, maybe when i look at the directions amm posted i'll feel stupid for even worrying about it.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:38pm
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:31pm
Aeone: Thanks for the info. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm anxious to see what happens when I wash and blow-dry the synth.

commonpleasure: AMM posted extensive directions for pretipping a few weeks ago, so it should come up if you search. Good luck!
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:21pm
commonpleasure, you will need to pre-tip the hair first. It would be difficult to thread loose hair through and then it would all slip out becauce human hair shrinks/swells when wet/dry. I usually buy pre-tipped hair but have also pre-tipped some myself. Lots of the ladies here pre-tip theirs using liquid gold & various other types of glue.
Aeone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 10:20pm
Nope, as for me - I saw the silky straight kanekalon,
it was in alot of different colours ..it wasnt the yaki.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 9:54pm
I think there probably are different grades. Plastikhaar's Kanekalon is the only one I've seen specifically recommended for loose.

That said, most of the beauty-supply-store Kanekalon I've seen is Yaki Kanekalon (meaning it's textured for "ethnic" hair). It can blend wonderfully with Black hair, but would look real odd with Caucasian hair. Was that maybe what you saw? Yaki textures are more widely available because black girls have been doing there own weaves for ages, and it's a relatively new phenomenon among white girls.

The only other thing I've noticed about beauty-supply-store Kanekalon is that it looks a bit shiny, but I guess we'll have a better idea of that when we see the Dome, Plastikhaar, and (hopefully) ProStyles stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commonpleasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 9:48pm
ok...shrinkies purchased, checked out bohyme silky straight at a local shop today (ahhhh, that's how hair should feel lol)

here's where i'm getting nervous (other than the real vs synth debate). making my own stands? do you mean cutting them off the track and threading them thru? what's the best way to gage how much hair to thread thru the shrinkie?

eeep. i'm so excited about trying this, but so nervous that we're going to screw it up....and frankly, i can't afford to screw it up. if i could i'd have a professional do it .

again, thanks
Aeone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 7:59pm
Yea, that's what I've been thinking :\
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 7:49pm
Now, I've seen Kanekalon in the beauty store and it is scary looking stuff. I would never even consider buying it. Before I got the funky colors from Kristin, I went and looked at the Kanekalon and I ran out the door. There must be different versions and grades of it?
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 7:06pm
Here is a picture of the wig that I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60188&item=3474018874#ebayphotohosting

It looks exactly like the picture. Its my third Kanekalon wig, Ive been wearing wigs for about 2 years trying to grow my hair out.

I love kanekalon, the colors are beautiful, it holds its style very well and the color dosnt fade.

As for styling, when I got it I took it out of the box, shook it out and put it on. I only have to comb it once a day, right before I put it on, otherwise its good to go.

I would love to use Kanekalon with shrinkies if its possible. Guess Ill just have to try it. Besides, Kanekalon is waaaaaaaaay cheaper than human hair.

Em

PS: thats the color and style Im trying to find in human or kanekalon.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 5:51pm
A few people have said you can use Shrinkies with synth, so I don't think it would be a problem.

That's great news about the Kanekalon wig; I wouldn't have thought it was that durable. Have yo had any difficulties with the Kanekalon? Was it tricky figuring out how to style it properly, or was it pretty simple? What kind of texture do you have?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am (obviously) obsessed....
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 4:55pm
Could you use Kanekalon with shrinkies or would it melt with the temp you need to shrink the shrinky?

I have a wig made of Kanekalon that Ive been wearing for 3 months. I wash it 3 times a week, blow dry it and even use a low temp curling iron on it and the hair is still silky soft and wonderful.

Im wanting to go back to extensions because my hair has grown out to the point that wearing a wig is getting uncomfortable.

Em
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 1:23pm
Depends on where your at. Im in Colorado and I got my supplies within 3 days.

Em

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commonpleasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 1:21pm
does anyone know how long shipping time is from dr locks? i'm trying to get a day put away for my friend to do this. maybe i'm dumb, but i couldn't find it on the site

oh shoot and one more thing...jeez, i feel like such a tool asking all this lol....machine weft vs hand tied????
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 7:43am
I agree: Several people have said they've used the corner of a flatiron. It's probably a bit more cumbersome, but as long as you're careful, it should work.

Any opinions on temperature? How high does the heat clamp go?
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 5:31am
Just for home use you could use that straightener xx
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 4:45am
Just found this community, what a wonderful gathering of useful information.

If this question has been answered, I appoligize...In regards to the heat clamp for putting in shrinkies? Do you have to spend $100 on one or can you get buy with a hair straightener? The discount stores have a small hair straightener, its about an inch wide and has multiple heat settings for $15.00.

Thanks

Em
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2004 at 3:59am
Thanks for the info on Shrinks, MetalGirl.

Perhaps Doc's version is made from a slightly different material, and that's how they get around the patent issue (this would also explain why they feel different). I know there was a lawsuit, or a pending one, between Eurolocs and Hairlocs awhile back. But my guess is that there's some materials difference there, too, even though those methods, as well as rings and extendtubes, are all very similar. My guess is that that lawsit didn't go too far, since Hairlocs is still in business.

I guess we all think certification is overrated, although I think stylists are in a difficult position with this. If anything ever were to go wrong with a client, the first thing people (and hair companies) seem to say is, "Well, were they certified?"

That's interesting about pretipping and re-use. I imagine with the DIY stuff, you can just rebond it after removal. ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic