Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shrinkies with bohyme hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 4:08pm

Michelle, your hair is beautiful. Welcome to the boards! :)

michelitapolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelitapolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 6:23pm
Hello every one, thanks for the welcome!! I've been watching this site with interest ever since I first came into contact with Amanda via ebay, and way before I had my extensions. Reading what was posted here helped me make up my mind about shrinkies and because Amanda knew which way was up I did an 8 hour round trip to see her instead of bite the bullet and have some crap done in London, thank God!! To be honest I feel slightly star struck talking to you guys!!
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:39pm
Right now this is doing my fricking head in.  I've just had a client e-mail me and she's had her hair in 1 1/2 weeks.  She says she's had 20 come out.  She said that she had washed her hair with fairy liquid before she came to me.  She had really bad bleached hair.  I'm feeling incompetent again.  I'm thinking that shrinkies don't suit everybody.  She said that she had the glued in extensions and none came out!!! Help, is it me or what ?
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:53pm
Amanda, calm down, chick! It is not you. You are not incompetent. Remember: you are a hair ARTISTE!!
You are right: shrinkies don't suit everybody. They just don't. They are a great method for lots of people, but not all people - and I'm one of them. And I WANTED to love them, but for some reason they just don't work well for me either. So the client with the overprocessed bleached hair needs to chill. There's a more appropriate method for her, and maybe with the weak hair, she should do clips for a while and stay off the bleach.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:57pm
Oh, Amanda--it's not you at all. You've had great success with this method several times, and your installations are beautiful. But it's true: No one method is for everyone. I have extremely overprocessed hair, and for me, braiding works best, and glues are a nightmare; for others, braids don't work, and they're better off with glues. Weaves, tubes, and shrinks stay in some hair, and not in others. My boyfriend's shrinkies didn't stay in long, but he uses a lot of pomades and gunk.

I'm sure if the client has an oily scalp, it affects things, as well as their daily styling regimen and the porosity and "smoothness" of their hair. Hell, it could have to do with the PH level of the water where they live. And sometimes, it's not anything a client is doing or your application; it's just a mystery--it works for some and not for others. As far as incompetance, that's ridiculous--you and AMM have had more success with this system than anyone, so obviously you're doing something right.

I think that as a stylist, all you can really do is try to offer more methods. If I understand it, you're already offering extendtubes too, correct? So you may want to add a braiding method to that. I'm not a fan of glues, but maybe you could add that to the mix as well. At that point--if you're offering several methods, and nothing works for someone--well, what can anyone do really?

Please don't get discouraged or beat yourself up about this. You've done so much good work, and your clients have been raving about you. It's only natural that it's not going to work for someone eventually, and that's nobody's fault: It's just the reality of the product combined with that client's specific hair.

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:14pm
Thanks guys, I e-mailed her and asked her if they came out when she was washing them, thinking that could be it, her reply was "I've had them before, I know how to treat them, they just seem to be slipping out".  I can't understand how they can just slip out, they were rock hard when they went in.  When I get back from my wedding I think I'm going to start practising the pinch braiding as well as the shrinkies and extentubes and I'm also going to buy a gun from Kristen and offer the glue method as a last resort.  The only thing is people where I live don't like you to know they are wearing extensions so with the pinch braiding, can you cover up the braids if you don't work high up the head and can you see them when you pull your hair up in a pony x Do you think I should offer the glue in wefts as well.  I've also started offering the micro ring wefts as well but people are concerned with putting their hair up.  Again thanks guys, I'm so glad I've got this board, nobody else seems to understand.  We strive for the perfect extension method.  I think I'm more upset for her than she is LOL xx
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:52pm
Amanda, maybe she's getting her conditioner, and or smoothing sprays too close to the shrinkie bonds? Just a thought.  Or maybe her natural hair and scalp is just too oily for this method.  Don't get down on yourself though... You know you do a good job!!  
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:14pm
It's totally mystifying. But when you think about it, there are lots of us here, and between us, we have every different preferred method imaginable.

As far as pinchbraids, they're somewhat more visible than the shrinks and tubes, but they have the advantage of supereasy removal, no fancy equipment or supplies, no pretipping, and minimal to no damage. They've certainly been the easiest method on the hair that I've tried, and that includes shrinkies and extendtubes. But it's a trade-off, which is why it wouldn't be best for everyone either. Mine never slip at all, but that's just my experience wtih my stylist: Everyone's is different. I remember Rose saying that hers slipped right out. Mine aren't undetectable when I put my hair up, but no method has  been for me--I think that's just a reality of having very thin, very blonde hair and adding a lot of hair to that. I have seen pinchbraid jobs that look very undetectable, though.

Cheer up, Amanda--and remember, this isn't your fault. We all know that you try incredibly hard to make your clients happy.

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:28pm

Thanks a lot chicks, I've changed my advert to basically say all what you guys have said, I've said that not every method is suitable to every person but that hair extensions isn't just about making money to me its about happy clients and that if they save their hair and find that the method I've installed isn't suitable to them that I will refit them with a different method free of charge until we find the method that they are suitable to.

Then I'm covered aren't I and people will feel that they can come back to me if things aren't working out, well hopefully anyway. 

Just one question about the pinch braids.  Can you use human hair with them xxxx

"

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:38pm
human hair plus pinch braids = yup

you need it to be a little longer ~2"  than you want the final result because of the folding over...

or so I hear
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:38pm
Oh, yeah--you can use either. I've had pinchbraided Bohyme (which is what you usually use, right?), and it worked fine. :)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:39pm
Yup--that's a good point, Mocha--the overlap will eat up about 1 1/2 inches of the length. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:42pm

Is Kristen's pinch braid the one I should follow if I'm using bohyme xxx Thanks a lot guys, I can see I've got lots of practising to do.  Are the pinch braids less detectable if I do lots of small ones or is it better if I do 100 bigger ones like Kristen says xx

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 3:15pm
I didn't think Kristin did pinchbraiding, actually, but let me check her site.....checking....oh, that's Rae's tutorial from Hairalchemy. Yeah, the technique is the same no matter what hair you use. And I think what Rae was saying is that you'd want to do at least 100 pinchbraids for a head and probably more. That said, they're not extendtubes or shrinkies, so I think it'd be hard to do more than 150 or 175 on a head. How thick or thin you make em would really depend on the look you want. I think the visibility will be more determined by how far they are from the part and hairlines. Most of the reason they're more visible than shrinks or links, imo, is because they're longer, not thicker, than those methods. But yeah, basically the pattern you use for an install would be the same as it would for other methods. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:49pm
Mmm I'm intrigued.  I've just been practising on my manniquin with a strand of pre-tipped hair.  I'm thinking that if the hair wasn't pre-tipped and it was bulk that I would have got it everywhere, is there a nack to this or is it just practice xxx
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:57pm
Amanda, I just want to add one thing about your advert. You don't have to promise to retrofit a client's head until you find the right system for them...that seems extremely generous and I'm just afraid someone, or someones, will take advantage of that to get their hair done free. In fact, I'll bet money that eventually you'll get someone like that. Just offer to help the client find the right system, and when you meet with the client, you can sort of go over the various methods, etc and get a feel if the person is a possible rip-off artist or not, know what i mean?
You do great work, have plenty of great pictures to show, happy clients to refer to - that's all you need.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 6:02pm
Well that crossed my mind but obviously there will be a time limit on it, I'm not going to do a full head extensions of some other method if they've had their hair in over 3 weeks or something and not told me if any have fallen out or anything and then just ring me up one day and expect me to change their method, I suppose I'm going to have to be careful but I really don't know what else to do.  I feel like giving it up as a bad job every time somebody's hair doesn't go right.  I suppose that's me all over though, I'm a bit soft in the head LOL xx
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 6:02pm
It's just patience; learning how to work with bulk hair is IMO very useful for a stylist, as you can't always get the hair you need in weft/pre-tip. It's not so hard, it's just about going slowly, pinching off how much hair you need with one hand and separating it out with the other hand, and always keeping the loop (for doubled-over hair, like synth) or tips of the hair (for most human) aligned and in the same place.

And yeah, about 100 pinchbraids. The smaller and more plentiful they are, the less noticeable. You can do them really any size- the smallest I've seen were some done by Boogiemama on my friend Carmen. They were itty bitty streaks of synth, and the braid was no more than an eighth of an inch wide. If you had the patience to do a whole head of those, ain't nobody could see them. :)

The 100 number is just an estimate, btw- I've never actually remembered to count how many braids I've done. It's about 100, I think, but I'll try to get a more accurate number next time.

-Rae
purrmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 6:14pm

Pinchbraids can be any size- the less hair you put into each braid, the smaller the braid.  Lots of small braids are a lot less noticeable than a smaller number of big ones.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 3:24am

Thanks a lot zap.  Do you do your sectioning exactly the same as with the other methods x

Jenny, Amm, shrinkie gals, help again!  I did my friend's hair with shrinkies on Saturday and she's had 7 come out already, she text me this morning.  She says that the shrinkies are still in her hair but the tip has come out.  I'm thinking that the shrinkie isn't sticking/adhering to the tip.  My friend has oily hair but she washed 3 times in dish soap.  Its obviously not the fact that her hair is oily otherwise surely the shrinkie wouldn't still be in her hair, I'm baffled now.  I thought maybe its cos I've changed nail glue recently but I've just phoned up my supplier and checked the ingredients of my previous nail glue and its the exact same as the present one I'm using .  I so want to perfect this but things seem to be getting worse.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic