Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Malaysian Method

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malaysian Method
    Posted: February 10 2005 at 5:40am
hi metalgirl,

I'm not a stylist and only do my own hair. I've never done this technique on myself because I failed miserably each time I tried but my stylist hated glue and she used this technique on me.

I can't remember how long it used to stay. I don't get it done anymore because she moved to California.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 11:53pm
Afro Puffs:

Have you tried the Hair Factory pinch weave on anyone. How does it hold up?

I have tried the Secure Locking method on a hispanic client with fine hair (which seems like it is the same as the Malaysian method) and it was ok. It did not come out, but it was very loose after about 5 weeks.

I love the idea of weaving, because I think it can be more gentle on the hair, but it does take a lot of practice.

After I ordered the tape, I called Lisha for a few pointers, and she said watch your thread tension and hand angles, and practice alot. I may give this method another try.
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 7:06am
This Malaysian method sounds just like a method my stylist used to use called "Pinch Weaving" It was just a bunch of knots as a base and then the weft was sewn on top of the base.

Here's a description from hair factory

http://www.hairfactory.com/Videos.htm

Pinch Weaving Video is 54 minutes. #VI-8 . . . $29.99
Learn The Pinch Weave Base. Quick & Easy.

A special technique of weaving with needle & thread. No braiding or bulkiness. Form a secure base & attach any length of weaving hair. If it can be pinched it can be weaved. Two weave styles are demonstrated; silky fine Caucasian hair to add volume & a short relaxed Afro American hair.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 5:28am
Thanks, Save~A~Stray. That'll be a great addition to the boards! I appreciate it. :)
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 5:08am
Jenny~ you may just want to call it...Flat Weave Techniques
due to the fact that there are so many names out there that are basically the same method. Just a thought......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 5:01am
MALAYSIAN & FRENCH LACING METHODS

These two weaves are for achieving the flatest weaves without
any bulk, like you tend to get with a braided track.

The Malaysian Method is suitable for most hair types and can
last up to last 3-4 months.

The French Lacing Method is suitable for fine, caucasian hair
but can be used on all hair types. Lasts 6-8 weeks.

The big advantage to these methods is the super flat feel you
get, which is hard to achieve with a braided track.

The disadvantages I could see are these methods may need
maintanence sooner than a braided track would. There also
may be some slipage with these methods. Another is the cost
factor. Salons can charge a much higher price than a weave
with a regular braided track. if you can learn this with a friend, it
will save you $$$$.

Edited by Save~A~Stray
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 12:49am
Excellent. I will add this to the links whenever I can get into the thread. Can you girls just tell me which names this would go under (Malaysian, Pole, or anything else) and what you would suggest it for (the advantages and disadvantages of using it), what kind of hair it's best suited for, how it differs from traditional weaving, etc.).

Thanks a lot! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 11:22pm
1/2- 3/4" between tracks is what I like. I prefer more of the
natural hair out than the tracks being too close together. I like
the horseshoe tracks following the natural shape of the head.
Let me know how your friends hair turns out.....

Edited by Save~A~Stray
Skyeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 10:49pm
no actually the sections that you part. I've been doing them pretty thin.
skyeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 10:20pm
I think you are talking about the spacing's right? If so, it
depends on the clients hair. Fine hair I would do closer
spacings like say anywhere from 1/2" - 1" apart . It's really up to
you how you want to place the spacings. Each person is
different.

Edited by Save~A~Stray
Skyeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 10:02pm
Ha! Ha! I guess this is sort of like an online tutorial! I luv this forum! Weave sistahs unite!

Ingenious! Spraying down fine hair for flyaways. Every little thing makes such a difference. My mannequin has the tight weave! I'm ready to do this on a friend now. I just love learning new techniques! Oh! I know what I wanted to as you Save A Stray- how small are the horizontal sections? I assume they shouldn't be too wide.

This method is easier than the pole and it has the same effect. The pole gets on my nerves sometimes. Always having to mess with spoools, tension and adjusting the machine is a hassle.
skyeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 9:50pm
OOPS!! SORRY DOUBLE POST.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 9:48pm

Edited by Save~A~Stray

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 9:47pm
HaHa..... Jenny, It's really quite simple. I just hate the fact that
there are so many different names thrown out there and it ends
up being the same method.These are two very flat methods of
weaving. I would be thrilled if DIY'ers can pick it up.

Edited by Save~A~Stray
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 9:44pm
HAHAHA I was thinking the same thing Jenn....this one is way over my head. Its like a whole different world! But its interesting to read about a whole different method than most of us know anything about! Weaving sounds like a very complex technique. And it sounds like it takes alot of skill and practice.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 9:32pm
This may be the most complex thread I've ever read on this board. You girls are in an advanced-weaving universe of your own. Perhaps we can turn this into a tutorial afterward? :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 9:29pm
Skyeam~ you can go up through the end anchors a third time if you feel you need it.
Try a combination~ you can use the Malaysian knot on the ends and the rest the other way.
Fine hair you would space closer together.
You can spray down the hair lightly if you want to make it easier with fly away's.
She does say this has been called the pole method......!!Missed that last time.

So is your Mannequin all hooked up?!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 6:25pm
Look at my first post on this page .....Follow the first 2 lines
only.....that is the swedish ponytail. Then you lace on to the next
pony.

I don't know how else to explain to you. I'll try again if you still
haven't got it. >^..^<

Edited by Save~A~Stray
Skyeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 1:39pm
But on the Swedish you still definitely have to knot the end anchors, right?
skyeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 12:46pm
You do go up through the split ponytail with the Malaysian
Method but not on the Swedish. That's what I was saying the
difference was between the two.Okay you got it?!!

Edited by Save~A~Stray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic