Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

improving damaged hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 4:51pm
Oh, I couldn't agree with Lea (crap I can't remember how she spelled it now!!) enough. A good diet will help so much. I have a friend who's a doctor who says that fat girls always have the best hair and skin, because you almost have to eat too much to get everything your body needs. Think Omega 3 fatty acids.
Please try MSM. It's a harmless mineral supplement, extremely cheap, that works with the calcium in your diet to improve your eyes, hair, skin, nails and joint function. Seriously, this is like a $7 investment.
On another note, everybody here has good intentions, and if there have to be misunderstandings occasionally, I for one think it's worth it to have everyone telling it like it really is for their own head of hair.
So, you know,, don't go changin.....to try and please the hair extensions message board....we like you just the way you are.
lisalisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisalisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 4:51pm
I just want to reiterate the fact that I'm not mad at anybody, and in no way was I saying that Sherry or Jenn RR said something wrong. I was simply stating that it seemed to me that people thought I was exaggerating the damage done to my hair by the extensions. And to longerthanlong, as far as taking up the issue with my salon!!!!! I have been to 5 different salons and there comes a time when you just have to say "enough is enough", and these extensions aren't for me. Please don't put words in my mouth by saying things like " I'm mad at the girls on this site" or that Jenn and Sherry said anything wrong, because I NEVER said anything to that affect. In fact, if anything, Jenn has helped me out with alot of information and has been nothing but nice to me.
lisa lisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 4:29pm
SEE! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!! I'm not mad at anybody! And as far as being warned about Great Length's and Hairloc's, I had both of them in my hair long before every coming onto this site, and therefore "had not been warned " as you put it". I posted the pictures that I had. I'm sorry that they weren't more explicit, but like I said "those were the only pictures I had. I guess I thought they really showed a difference of how my hair looked after removal of the extensions, but apparently not. I'm certainly not here to make anybody mad or start anything. There have been several times when I have posted threads on this site and it seems like some people have been kind of insensitive. I'm sure that I haven't had as extensive damage as some people and I don't feel that I'm comparing myself to anybody. Just stating the facts about a bad experience, and nothing more! Actually, I thought I was possibly helping somebody.
longerthanlong View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longerthanlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 3:56pm
lisa nobody questioned ur integrity. u need to post better pictures if u want peopole to know what the probkem is.it seems like ur mad at these women here but you should be mad at ur salon. i dont think sherry and jenn, said anything wrong. theyve talked about how bad fusion and hairlocs is forever. they warned u & u didnt listen.
Lisa Lisa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 2:41pm
Wow! I seem to have really offended people concerning hair extensions. I can't believe how defensive some people have gotten towards the thread I posted. I guess I should clarify what I was trying to explain.
First of all, I simply wanted to answer a question from somebody who had gone through similar problems with hair extensions and tell them about my experience. She specifically said that the hair extensions ruined her hair,and that is why I told her that she shouldn't keep them in, and that she should just get a cute hair cut and try to get her hair healthy again. I don't remember stating anywhere in that thread that extensions are horrible and NOBODY should put them in their hair, but in this case she is flat out stating they ruined her hair, and unless she is going to wear them for the rest of her life, the problem is not going to go away and her hair is gonna get worse. Obviously her hair can't handle the weight of the extensions, for whatever reason, and they don't work for her. I too have my hair highlighted with bleach (and have had for 20 years), however, I don't feel that had anything to do with the damage.
I know alot of it has to do with the stylist who puts them in, and with that in mind, I have tried 5 different stylists and had the same results each time. I have spent probably over $6000.00 since I started this venture, and have come to the conclusion that they just don't work FOR ME. I went as far as to purchase a starter kit from hairpiece.com so I could save $ and put the bonds back in myself when they came out, well those microlinks were slipping out just as fast as the Hairloc's.
I will be the first to say that I felt prettier than ever when I had the extensions in my hair, however, it just wasn't worth the hassel, time,money, or damage being done to my hair. Sherry made a comment about the fact that she doesn't like her hair and never has, so having the extensions really hasn't been an issue as far as doing damage to her hair. If you think about it, the fact that I had nice hair before, made this even more devastating for me. And although the medication did some thinning to my hair, the extensions did most of the damage. I have been soooooo tempted to have the extensions put back in, because I CAN'T STAND how my hair looks now, but there is gonna come a day when I have to deal with my hair and try to get it healthy again. Jenny RR also made a comment about how my hair didn't look that damaged after the extensions were taken out, and that it just looked a little thinner on the ends. Ok! I didn't take close up pictures, but I had quarter size bald spots all over my scalp, and the texture of my hair is horrible. I have no shine, no bounce, no body. My hair is just like straw, and no matter what hair products I use or how I try to style it, well........ it's useless. I feel as though people on here are questioning my integrity, and I'm having to justify everything I say by detailing everything. I mean really, if I say extensions thrashed my hair, then they thrashed my hair. Whether it shows up in pictures or not, they thrashed my hair. If extensions work for other people "THAT'S FANTASTIC"! but for those of us who have had bad experiences, we should be able to let others know about it and give suggestions without feeling like we need to defend ourselves, as in this case.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 12:04pm
Maybe I'm a party pooper, but the best thing I can tell you is to have a well-balanced diet (a good multi-vitamin can't hurt) because if you're healthy, your hair should grow in healthy. The truth is that you've fried your hair. All you can really do is be nice to it as it grows out to keep from frying it again. There is no miracle hair-repair--though a good conditioner or leave-in can help make it feel better--and I personally don't believe there's anything out there that will give you significantly faster growth. Hair growth is not consistant, so it's hard to measure that scientifically.
ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 11:23am
so sorry - got thrown off by lisa lisa's comments/confused myself....

i think the comments about rogaine and supplements are really really sound... kind of expensive, but it's all relative, yes?...but there (in my opinion from a scientific background) is not any other proven over the counter medication or treatment that will reverse the thinning or do anything other than camouflage and prevent more damage...there are thickening and smoothing serums like frizz ease like you mentioned, etc that really helped my hair look more smooth and shiney when i have overbleached in the past...
i know it isn't what you want to hear (at least i'm guessing), but when i kinda fried my hair what really helped was a new shaggy-type haircut...i told my stylist what i wanted, she cleaned up the kinda ratty ends...and the cut really helped restore lots of volume, my shorter thicker hair looked much more aestetically pleasing than my longer kinda ratty and tatty hair...and the way my ends were, it wasn't a good start for regrowth..pantene has a new leave in treatment that the claim repairs up to 80% of damage..i haven't tried it myself though...
Joginny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joginny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:49am
You may have confused me with another poster. I am not on any medication. My only problem is that my hair is bleached and fragile and with the weight of extensions not to mention the fusion glue pulling my hair out at the roots my hair has broken off and I have bald spots everywhere. I think I am going to color my hair back to a light brown so I can stay away from the bleach for now until I repair what hair I have left.
ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 9:28am
hi there -

sorry to hear your situation; it may be helpful to know what medication you were/are on? sorry if i missed this, and are you still on it? if you aren't comfortable posting that BM me....i'm a vet pathologist and we do lots of derm stuff (for animals :) ), but sometimes the principles are the same....knowing why you hair began to thin may be critical for understanding how it will return and how to help that....
cheryl
Joginny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joginny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 9:20am
Scotchyroo thank you for your suggestions. I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown over this. I think the thread took a turn and I am desperate for suggestions on how I can improve the condition of my hair. I will need to continue to wear extensions for now, so please keep this in mind when suggesting products. I started a multi vitamin, extra biotin 5 mg, I am willing to try anything. Please help......
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 7:40am
DITTO
It is what it is...
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 10:20pm
Well said, delin. Couldn't agree more.
delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 8:46pm
Hair is our "crowning glory". I can't think of anything that impacts a person's appearance as greatly and thusly their self-esteem...that's not to say we are all so narcissistic we have to look good to feel good, but there's a reason people use the term "I'm havin' a bad hair day."
I've only worn extensions for about a year and I'm still experimenting with what works best for me. (I accredit this board for a lot of what I've learned) I've had some bad experiences (all attributed to my technique & the quality of hair) but the more I learn, the better it gets.
I, personally, would sacrafice some hair damage for a "flowing mane"...because there's no way I could produce one on my own. Not only do I enjoy the end product, but I love fiddling with applying...some people knit, some sew, and I stick in hair.
I agree with Sherrie, you weren't a candidate for extensions initially. Best of luck growing your hair back...everybody deserves "good hair days"...regardless how they choose to achieve them.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 7:06pm
LISALISA, I just want to clarify that I am in no way trying to make your bad experience seem unimportant, because I believe that it has to be a devasting experience to loose your beautiful hair.

And after I re-read your post you state that you got extensions after you started experiencing hair loss, and not knowing it was the medication causing it. Is this correct? I would think if you were experiencing hair loss, a stylist should have told you that extensions were not an option for you.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 6:48pm
LISA LISA...I personally for one will never be sorry that I got extensions! I had crappy hair before extensions and Im sure Ill have crappy hair after extensions. I dont intend to take them out anytime soon. Some of us were not blessed with great or even good hair, some of us were cursed with awful hair and for people like me, extensions are a great way to have beautiful hair. I have worn extensions for 5 years or more and my hair is no worse, no better than before.

Youve said yourself that you were on medication that caused hair loss, so extensions was not entirely to blame for your hairloss, and also the fact that you used two methods that are quite well known for being damaging surely contributed to your hairloss as well.

I am very sorry for your bad experiences and am sorry what you must be going through with the hairloss issues, but hair extensions are not all bad experiences for all of us. I believe that with proper care and proper application and removal that extensions will cause little to no damage. ANd for myself, the little damage that Ive had is no worse than the other harsh things that Ive done, such as color and bleach. I am no worse off than before extensions after 5 years.

One question that I have for you is why did you get extensions in the first place? Your hair looked beautiful in the picture that you said was before extensions.
LISA LISA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LISA LISA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 6:16pm
Hi Joginny, Your hair is only gonna get worse by having extensions in. I just took mine out and like I've already mentioned,"I WANT TO WEAR A BAG ON MY HEAD" I have asked for suggestions and some people told me to put in clip in extenstions, however, I don't want to put anything in my hair that's going to put tension on it. I originally had beautiful hair, and then a dermatologist put me on a medication last year for a skin problem and hair loss was the #1 side effect. So I had GL's put in (not knowing the medicine was causing my hair loss), and just made a bad situation worse. After losing about 40 to 50 bonds, (all of which pulled every piece of hair out that it was attached to) I had them taken out after having them only 1 1/2 months ($2,000.00 later). After the removal process I felt pratically bald. After finding out the medicine was the culprit, I stopped taking it and got on hair vitamins. After 2 months I decided to try another method of extensions and went to Hairlocs, thinking they wouldn't damaged my hair like the GL's. Well........ they just kept slipping out of my hair and I got fed up so I took them out. Now my hair isn't as bad as it was when the GL's were taken out, but it isn't much better. Anyway, I would suggest getting a really cute cut and staying the heck away from the extensions, oh and get some hair vitamins and deep condition the crud out it. Please look at the difference of my hair on the thread that has subject:IM GONNA TRY TO POST MY PICTURES: You will have to click on the hyperlink because I couldn't figure out how to post the pics. Anyway, look at the 3rd picture down (the one with me and a girlfriend of mine) that's after the GL's were taken out. Now look at the last picture of me with my back turned to the camera, that's my hair before medication and extensions, and I hope to God to get it back to that again. Everybody I know personally is sorry they got extensions, whether it be weft, or Hairlocs, or GL's, etc................. Give your hair a break (in a good way) :-)
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 5:28pm
Okay friend, here's what i know. If your doctor says it's ok, rogain for women works really well. My mom uses it and it's made a world of difference to her. You need to buy special products to care for the hair.. I think Nioxin is formulated for rogaine use, because the rogaine makes it really ****y, and be sure to not color or do so only with a pro.

If that's not for you, the mineral supplement msm is really really good for growing stronger hair. A good diet is immeasurable in it's value. With MSM, you won't notice a difference for three monthes but then you'll really be happy. In fact I recommend this harmless supplement in conjuntion with whatever you try.

I have a client who swears by the laser brush from Bliss catalog. But... She paid like $600 for it. It supposedly stimulates the follicle. She has had regrowth, so who knows.
That said, how are the shrinkies working for you? Best Wishes
Joginny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joginny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 4:20pm
Hi again,

I took out my fusion hair extensions this past weekend, my shoulder length hair is now 2 inches long if that. I had no choice but to put in shrinkies to hide the bald thin spots.

My question, does anyone know what I can use to improve my real hair while wearing extensions to hide the mess I've made. Will hair growth serums help? One I found at Sephora FNS sounds interesting, but I would welcome any help or suggestions. I am so distraught.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic