Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to dress for body type

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mzfloetic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzfloetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to dress for body type
    Posted: January 17 2004 at 6:50pm
Hi I'm Kishea and I have a LOT of trouble dressing for my body type. I am 5'6 and 112 pounds. I have long, thin arms and legs, a small bust and a lil hips but no thighs. I also have small wrists and ankles so my hands stand out a lil as well as my feet because I wear and 8 1/2 to a 9. I was wondering that if anyone could help AT ALL I would appreciate it sooo much because I can't seem to find any way to dress that doesn't make me look invisible or like a walking stick. ANY advice would help!
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 7:21pm
Hi!

I don't know exactly what you look like but many women are thin, I'm pretty thin myself, maybe not quite as thin as you and I'm not as tall as you, I'm little and petite, but I am somewhat thin.

I don't see why being thin should stop you from finding attractive clothes to wear or an attractive hairstyle. After all, aren't all the fashion models thin?-(some of them are too thin to be honest)-.

I guess I just don't know what you mean, that you need help in fashion because of your body type. There must be plenty of styles that you can wear. It shouldn't be hard finding clothing for you.
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2004 at 7:25pm
Also, you could always add a little weight by eating a little more.
I'm pregnant now, so I have been eating more and getting a little heavier anyway, but there have been times in my life when I wasn't pregnant where I didn't always eat enough and got a little too skinny, and then I would eat a little more.
But you don't sound too bad. If you feel that your weight isn't quite enough for your height, then just eat a little more.
I hope that helps you a little! Good luck!
mzfloetic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzfloetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2004 at 11:42am
Hi, thanks for your help, however I am only 15 and I have a very high metabolism. I eat alot but my body burns it all off. I find it hard to find clothes that are riht for me because pants come up to high on my leg and are NEVER long enough and shirts that are elbow length can elongate my arms or I just end up looking like a bird in some of them. Often what's "in" doesn't look right on my body type, I was just wondering what would be some good suggestions for dressing (for my age and shape) In today's everyday fashion?
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2004 at 1:20pm
Don't go along with fashion trends because what is a fashion trend anyway?, there are so many different trends!
Buy clothes that you are comfortable with that you feel look good on you.

It is impossible for me to tell you what to wear, I never tell females I know anyway what to wear, but since we don't know what you look like, it is even harder for people to give you suggestions.
Just buy what looks good on you, that is good fashion.
Best of luck young lady, and let folks here know how it goes with you in your fashion decisions.
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2004 at 2:20am
When I was in highschool and had a smaller chest, I used to love push up or padded bras. I know so many people who wear them, and it's no big deal. They look natural, and your body will fill out some of the clothes that require more of a bust. I'm sure most clothes look better on you than you think, since most "trandier" clothes seem to be meant for thinner bodies.
jacquie02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacquie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 9:55am
Kishea, a close friend of mine also has dealt with being very thin and about your height. Although you could take advantage of your slimness to wear most current fashions, which really are built for people on the thinner side, you could also choose fabrics that are not too droopy so as not to accentuate being angular (if you are angular).

You could wear a cute sleeveless cotton shirt in the summer, for instance, with loose drawstring cotton or linen pants. For a bit more bulk, pull on a pair of jeans or overalls. These are just ideas. You have to take the main idea behind the suggestions and apply it to the fashions and outfits that you enjoy the most.

oh, in the winter, a sweater that is tailored (fits your figure somewhat) but has bulk (maybe a cabled sweater) would probably look good on you; that way, you won't look swamped, but you won't look like a rail, either. :)

Lots of people have sie 8-9 feet, so just remember that they probably look longer to you (mine always did) than they do to other people. You could drop by a shoe store and experiment with different shapes of shoes to see if any make a difference to you.

Also, about pant length -- try ordering your pants from a company that will adjust the length for you. LL Bean or Lands End come to my mind, but I''m sure there are plenty of other companies that do this. Just measure your inseam and request the length that will work for you. :)

If you really don''t want to look invisible, try putting on a splash of bright color -- whether it is a bright shirt or jacket, or a bright scarf, that might do the trick.

Above all, put on a warm smile and others will think you are stunning (b/c you will feel stunning). :)

Good luck,
Julie
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2004 at 10:01am
I am pretty tall, and although no longer slim, I used to be. Try ordering pants and jeans from longelegantlegs.com. They have junior sizes from very small to very large and their pants are all longer lengths. I still get a lot of my jeans from them. Also, try Victoria's Secret catalog. They also have great jeans in long lengths.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2004 at 10:19pm
What about women with the opposite problem? I'm 5'3" 130 lbs. and I have no torso, but I'm curvy, so low rise jeans look bad on me. They just don't fit right. I'm also very busty, which means I can't find shirts that fit both my waist and my bust. Any suggestions?
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 8:31pm
Well, I would say that overall curvy is good but I guess you have to be careful where the fabric in your clothes hugs your curves. I read that Jessica Simpson has to make sure that her shirts and dresses fit her waist (rather than just hanging off her ample chest) so she doesn't look chubby. I think wearing higher heels with your jeans would give you a longer looking leg which is very slimming (I do this even though I am 5'9" flat footed). Then maybe shirts that fit through the chest but also hug your waist. I imagine you would probably be traffic stopping gorgeous!

You probably also look good in short skirts. Try them with platform flip flops to elongate the leg again. And shirts that fit your entire torso and aren't hanging loosely anywhere. Try knit shirts with some spandex in them.

Show off those curves! Those of us who are tall and angular are very envious of you, believe me! Finding your style is a matter of trial and error. Try everything on and when you find a brand that seems to fit pretty consistently stick with it.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 7:18am
You can wear the styles that the rest of us are too fat to wear! The style that I would never wear is a dropped waist dress. It adds MEGA pounds. Try it! Although it's spring, in the winter, you can add bulky sweaters, and you won't look thin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic