Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions wanted on skirts for men

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
meangreen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meangreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 12:41pm
fashion bug. are you serious? really no offense, but that's unsexy to like the 10th power. maybe you cant find any shoes to go with it b/c it refuses to happen?! i'm sure you have great fashion sense, but i'm just expressing my opinion along w/ 17 other opinions. i hope this look doesnt fly, b/c it'd be soooo depressing.
Del Piero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 5:11pm
NO, NO, NO. We don't want no skirts. Sorry.
EuroDance!!!
Takin it back to the 90's.
BlondeJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2005 at 2:04pm
My wife would like it if I wore a long dress at home once in a while, but I haven't yet!

Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2005 at 6:39pm
Many of the "supporters" on this thread might think im a bit*h for saying this, but Im just trying to be real...so heres my opinion...ohhhhh hell no!Its not your idea that I say that to, I give you credit for being bold and original,Its the concept in itself--just thinking about it actually being a norm in society(something i hope it will NEVER be).you can call me shallow, but I wouldnt even be seen with a man in a skirt.I wouldnt check out a man in a skirt(he can be a supermodel..still not sexy)..I wouldnt even TALK to a man in a skirt...WHAT A TURNOFF!!UGH!!Its not sexy-its fruity... If I were walking in public and saw a man in a...say for instance,a cargo miniskirt- I would think it was a joke. I would automatically assume he lost a bet. Or that he's gay. Or Scottish. ha... Theres nothing I love more then for a MAN TO BE A MAN and he cant do that in a skirt.
Sara

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 12:09am
I know what you mean Sara, I know I am not interested in wearing a dress or skirt, but wearing a dress or skirt is only considered unmasculine in certain cultures.
In many parts of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, men, (especially men in rural areas), wear long dresses. It is a cultural norm there. These men are hetrosexual men, many of them with wives and children. Their women don't find it weird at all that their men wear dresses.
In western and European society in previous eras there were men who wore dresses too. It is only in the past couple of centuries that western men quit wearing dresses, and it became exclusively a female thing to wear.
Fashions do change. Traditionally western men wore long hair. Then for awhile they cut their hair short. Then along came the 1960s and 1970s and many men grew their hair long again. These days in the early 2000s you see men with both long and short hair and no one thinks much about it. A man can be masculine with either long or short hair.
These days a woman can wear long or short hair, a dress or slacks, and be considered feminine.
A man can wear long or short hair or even earrings and be considered masculine.
But in our society if a man wears eye makeup or wears a dress or a skirt, that is considered effeminate on a man. That is just the way it is these days.
But who knows? Twenty years from now that could change. Then again maybe not.

bronnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 9:38am
It wouldn't bother me if men if wore something more skirt/dress like but I find men in drag to often be silly or grotesque. While I don't come across them in my normal life I think men in kilts, tunics or other traditional clothes look neither silly nor grotesque - just culturally different and I think it would only take a few minutes for it to look normal if more men did it.

But then again, I don't really care what men wear.
I've only recently figured out that I'm gay so I can't say that it would particularly turn me on either.

The reason I am writing here at all is that I have recently been experimenting with gender bending fashion, trying to figure out what feels natural for me. A number of people have commented that women can wear pretty much anything and that men can't. While I believe this I don't really understand it. I'm not talking about work - where fashion may be dictated by actual rules - but just out in public where people are on their own time.

From my perspective, men just seem like a bunch of sheep, afraid to do anything different. God forbid someone doesn't like your outfit. Is that so much more more tragic to a man than a woman? I have been told that I "look like a guy" at times (mostly by my mother) and I see that as no big deal. Why is it so terrible for a guy to look a tad feminine? Whats wrong with girls/women? I don't mean to be critical. I'm just trying to understand it. I also don't understand why some of the straight (I assume) women seem so repulsed by a guy looking feminine to them. Sort of seems like a weird self loathing to me. Again, I'm not trying to critisize. I'm just trying to say I don't get it and I'm hoping someone can explain it to me

Cheers,
Bronwyn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2005 at 4:34pm
Bronnie, It's different being a man than a woman that is why.

While some people are still prejudice against lesbian or bisexual women such as yourself, there is more prejudice against gay men, that is why most hetrosexual men (even fairly "progressive" hetrosexual men like myself), don't want to be associated with the "gay" thing.
Having said that, I am confident enough in my masculinity, and look masculine enough, to wear long hair and earrings, and no one ever accuses me of looking "gay" or "effeminate".

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2005 at 3:53am
I think you understand it much more than you know. I mean, it's still considered an insult, after all, to say someone "throws like a girl". . . Even as far as we've come in today's society, women are still seen as weak and inferior in a lot of ways. That's why it's so unthinkable to so many people to see a man in a skirt, because to them, it makes him look weak.
Part of it is also the stereotype of homosexuals going against gender type. Someone sees a man in a skirt or a woman in a short, spiky haircut and thinks automatically that person must be gay, whether it's true or not. A lot of people, unfortunately, are still uncomfortable with homosexuality, so they don't like to see what they perceive as people flaunting their gayness in public.
Another part of it is how many people still cling to old-fashioned gender stereotypes. The stereotypes have already been chipped away when women started wearing pants or short hair, or when men started wearing long hair or earrings. All those changes were met with resistance at first, just like we're seeing here. But just like those other changes, if men are gonna wear skirts, they'll wear them eventually, and the more society tells them not to, the more they'll wanna do it.
Oh, and the women might also feel threatened, as if men wearing skirts will take away one of their unique traits or special privileges. A lot of women take pride in being able to wear whatever they want, when men can't.
Have I just about covered it all?

Originally posted by bronnie bronnie wrote:

It wouldn't bother me if men if wore something more skirt/dress like but I find men in drag to often be silly or grotesque. While I don't come across them in my normal life I think men in kilts, tunics or other traditional clothes look neither silly nor grotesque - just culturally different and I think it would only take a few minutes for it to look normal if more men did it.

But then again, I don't really care what men wear.
I've only recently figured out that I'm gay so I can't say that it would particularly turn me on either.

The reason I am writing here at all is that I have recently been experimenting with gender bending fashion, trying to figure out what feels natural for me. A number of people have commented that women can wear pretty much anything and that men can't. While I believe this I don't really understand it. I'm not talking about work - where fashion may be dictated by actual rules - but just out in public where people are on their own time.

From my perspective, men just seem like a bunch of sheep, afraid to do anything different. God forbid someone doesn't like your outfit. Is that so much more more tragic to a man than a woman? I have been told that I "look like a guy" at times (mostly by my mother) and I see that as no big deal. Why is it so terrible for a guy to look a tad feminine? Whats wrong with girls/women? I don't mean to be critical. I'm just trying to understand it. I also don't understand why some of the straight (I assume) women seem so repulsed by a guy looking feminine to them. Sort of seems like a weird self loathing to me. Again, I'm not trying to critisize. I'm just trying to say I don't get it and I'm hoping someone can explain it to me

Cheers,
Bronwyn
More awesome than a manatee!
BedHeadDreads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BedHeadDreads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 3:13pm

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it just so damn sexy!!!  Good Job woman, I hope to see more men wearing skirts in the future!!  It's always been my favorite!!  I love kilts, but also saw some very nice ones on gothic online store for men.  I want my man to have one!!   It' s just very nice and different!!! 

deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 12:37pm

Hi Hi:

Skirts for men. "Give me a break".  No disrespect to anyone, but there are already enough feminine men out there.  I for one would really like to meet a "Real old fashion guy". 

I want a guy that does not want to wear my skirts or dresses.  Come on, is it to much for me to want a man to be a MAN.   I am woman enough for the both of us.

I know girls, I can be a real witch somtines.  Hay, its one of the bennies to being a woman.

Botton line - NO SKIRTS FOR MEN. (Except Scotty on Star Trek).

Susan

Susan
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 2:57am

Hi Susan

Yet again I agree with you.

My bf is an outdoors kind of guy and I certainly wouldn't feel the same way about him if he started wearing skirts! Definately only room for one feminine person in this relationship.

Sarah

kaylajean444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaylajean444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 7:27pm
no offense.. but the whole idea of guys in skirts is grosser than gross... whats wrong with normal pants?
Jean Ann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean Ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 10:35am

Hello

I am a hetro crossdresser . And having had some experience in the wearing of skirts and other feminine attire ,,,I say why not ? Shirts are comfy and can be an interesting alternative to the usual drab mens styles

Jean Ann

Jean Ann
Jean Ann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean Ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 10:38am

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/Jeanann_/jeanannScott ish.jpg

OOps trying again !

This is aScottish Aboyne National Dance outfit

Jean Anm

Jean Ann
Hairprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 11:27am
SKirts are for girls, its nice to have something that guys dont have. So I would have to say 110% NO to mens skirts. If I saw my bf was wearing a skirt I think I would be worried...and would run away. Never would I be seen in public with my bf wearing a skirt......and just so you know, my bf would NEVER wear one! Hes not a fem.
Jean Ann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean Ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 7:54am
Jean Ann another skirt picture
Jean Ann
Hairprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 10:25am
I think this discussion has gone from one topic to another.
Jean Ann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean Ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 12:04pm

Sorry ,

Back to the origional question : I have worn skirts in boy mode and find them to be comfortable , cool and fun . They would be an interesting alternative to the same old pants everyday . Women have a choice why shouldn't we have a choice too

Jean Ann 

Jean Ann
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 12:23am

Now I have to feel inferior-- Jean Ann has nicer legs than I do!  *hides in the corner*

More awesome than a manatee!
Jean Ann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean Ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 10:03am

Thank you so much Kuroneko ! Your opinion and others here are important to me . 

I just try to make best use of my best features and minimize the rest . Always keeping in mind that all you genetic girls are thre real style setters and ones to learn from. I am just here to learn what ever I can . Your feed back is invaluable . 

I consider it a privledge to come here and learn from all of you

Jean Ann

Jean Ann
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic