Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Olga (headshaves)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olga (headshaves)
    Posted: October 20 2003 at 5:30pm
"Olga" is a new brazilian movie about the revolutionary Olga Benário Prestes.

Some scenes take place at a concentration camp where all women had their hair shaved off.

So it's what the actresses really did, including the protagonists Camila Morgado...

... and Milena Toscano (also a top model)

Here are they (Milena on center and Camila on right):

Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2003 at 7:02pm
Some women look good with shaved heads.
These ones don't. Especially without proper make up and jewelry and wearing those dreadful uniforms.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2003 at 8:15pm
Exactly Brent.
Having worn the bald look myself in the past, these young ladies need some makeup and long earrings something fierce!
Wear a dress too and shave the stubble off of their heads! It defeats the purpose of the bald look to have that little stubble.

Of course they were making a movie and apparently wanted to look as nasty as can be.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 4:06am
*laughs* Yeah, it wouldn't be a very accurate concentration camp movie if everyone were dressed up, made up, and looking glam :-P .
More awesome than a manatee!
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 11:14am
All of you are right. I'm not exactly a fan of the bald look myself, but I love when long haired girls shave it. Why? Because I can see them with short hair after. I'm anxious to see Milena with a beautiful short hairstyle.
themakeupgallery View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themakeupgallery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 5:10pm
Interesting there are very few images published on the web about this although there was some publicity (in Portugese). If anyone has seen any larger images please post.

Coming Soon type news of the movie at:
http://www.cinema.art.br/not_cinenews_filme.asp?cod=2591

Jeff
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themakeupgallery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2003 at 1:49pm
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themakeupgallery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2003 at 1:51pm
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2003 at 9:40am
Dear Themakeupgallery, you posted the wrong link inside the IMG code, that's why the picture wasn't shown.

Here it is:

Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2003 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Brent E. Brent E. wrote:

Some women look good with shaved heads.
These ones don't. Especially without proper make up and jewelry and wearing those dreadful uniforms.

Bald needs no adornments. Even not supposed to look good in the context of the movie these women do.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 3:36am
Aiiiee! Don't they have latex bald wigs? It's what long-haired David Carradine (Kwai Chang Kaine) in "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues" used in flashbacks to his days in a shaolin temple (I should know. I was an extra in an episode, filmed Dec. 92 and he had the bald wig. Why didn't they do the same for these (btw attractive) ladies?
luv m short View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv m short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 7:24am
A bald cap? You have got to be kidding! Those things look so fake!This movie deals with some very sad events,where a girl getting her head shaved was far from the worst thing that was being done to them. I applaud both girls for getting shaved bald!The last set of posted pictures shows a much more gorgeous,sexy,and happy girl AFTER those clippers peeled off her boring hair!!Look at the smile on her face,she LOVES her new look!I hope after the movie is over she NEVER grows out her hair and keeps it supershort forever!!She is ADDORABLE BALD!!
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 9:44am
[QUOTE=luv m short] Look at the smile on her face,she LOVES her new look!

You're right. That's what she said to the press imediatly after shave her head:

“Gostaram? Esse visual me afetou sim, mas num sentido positivo. Eu fiquei muito feliz com o resultado não só no profissional, mas também no pessoal. Achei lindo! Iluminou o meu rosto e está incrível! Nunca tive cabelo curto e não imaginava que ia ficar tão bonito. Estou adorando esse visual!”

In a free tradution (with my poor english):

"Do you like it? This look indeed has affect me, but in a positive way. I'm very happy with the result, not only in the professional side but in the personal side too. I think it's beautiful! It has brightened my face and it's amazing!I never had short hair before and I couldn't imagine it would be so beautiful this way. I'm loving this look!"

Unfortunately, the director decided to not include the headshaving scene in the movie.
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 9:49am

This is the photographer Jaq Jonner. She will be the next woman to shave her head to participating in the filmings of "Olga".
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 10:44am
Jaq is a beautiful lady. She looks wonderful in her short hairdo.
I bet she could make a shaved bald head work for her too if she makes herself up nice.
ipcress5 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipcress5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by BaldJasmine BaldJasmine wrote:

Exactly Brent.
Having worn the bald look myself in the past, these young ladies need some makeup and long earrings something fierce!
Wear a dress too and shave the stubble off of their heads! It defeats the purpose of the bald look to have that little stubble.

Of course they were making a movie and apparently wanted to look as nasty as can be.

This is one of the most ridiculous, shallow and insensitive comments I have ever read. These actresses play characters who had their heads forceably shaved in German concentration camps during the Second World War - they did not shave their heads as a fashion statement. Concentration camps were not holiday camps nor were they fashion shows. Prisoners were lucky to receive food and I don't think that make-up, jewellery and nice clothes were generally available nor wanted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 7:05pm
Of course we know how terrible those concentration camps were. I understand that. I have taken history courses and I have a college degree.
Of course we know that concentration camps were terrible places. Anyone who has been to school knows that.

But this is a fashion and hair website so I was commenting on that, on their style, we critique hairstyles here. That's what all of us do on this board. This is not a history class or a political science class.
I was not commenting on the movie or on the awful conditions of concentration camps.
So please don't jump to any conclusions about our sensitivity to human suffering.

As an educated person, an African-American, and I hope a decent civilized person, I am of course offended by injustice and brutality toward others. So don't assume I am either insensitive or shallow. I am neither .
I'm sure the others who made comments on these women are not insensitive or shallow either.
This is a hair and fashion website not a political or history website as such.
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 8:06pm
Ipcress:
(Ipcress??? What kind of name is that? Is that a male or female name???):

Please. Take it easy. We are not idiots. We know the camps were evil.
I have chatted with Jasmine on several occasions. She is a bright, sensitive, lovely lady. I don't believe either her or I condone what happened in those camps.
Jasmine got it right when she said we discuss hairdos and style on these boards. Don't read any more than that into it.
Surreal_Killa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surreal_Killa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2003 at 9:35pm
My two cents:

Jasmine & Brent seem pretty much on target. As far as the on-set pictures go, Camila & the other actresses do not look "good." Nor are they supposed to if the film has an hope at being realistic. I'm sure that when the actresses involved are off the set, they wear flattering clothes, make-up and so forth and look considerably better. That they look as good as they do in unflattering clothes and make-up is cool. Hopefully some better and more flattering photose of these actresses will be made available. :-)

peace

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2003 at 8:31pm
Thanks Brent and Surreal Killa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic