Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 6:54pm
Good evening ladies,

The new high quality products do not use silicones in them anymore because the different types of (cones) determine if they build up or not. There is a clinical study done by Medifarms that clearly gives detail information in the cosmetic industry on how Broccoli Seed is just as if not better than silicone if not better. Silicone does lay on the hair this is a fact but which would one prefer to use on there hair the silicone which is not natural or the Broccoli extract which is natural and from nature not a man made product.
wood
asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 11:45am
Broccoli does not stop frizz. Silicone only builds up if you use too much or a cheap silicone that has additives. High grade cosmetic silicones do not build up on the hair. Trust me I have been using a waterproof silicone for 6 years, no build up. Silicone does not prevent breakage. Until you have used the type of silicone that I am mentioning, you have nothing to compare. So many of you have little experience other than what you personally experience. I have used these products on hundreds if not thousands of women with the exact opposite affect as you state. http://www.sabinohair.com
asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 11:39am
Ya right
wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 6:26pm
Silicone does stop breakage but it leaves a very heavy build up on ones hair Broccoli extract works better it stops breakage and does not weigh hair down like silicone products.
wood
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 1:25pm
then stop replying it it will not be so childish.  Just telling it like it is if you cant stand the heat get out the fire.  People hate to be questioned about whatever it is they do..especially when they think what they say is WORD..Hmmmm!. Im a happy person, who loves to see people like you get all worked up over comments... Tongue 

Nothing Beats a Failure but a Try!     Sondra
asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 9:01am
I never said I was the only one that has all of the answers. Either your ego is hurt or you are a very angry person. We have gotten way off course here. This whole thing has gotten to be very childish. So please, send your comments to someone else. I chose not to respond anymore. It's not a matter of winning here. You could have simply read my answer and let it go. If you see it as opinion, that is your prerogative. 
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 7:07pm
Actually, I work closely with organic nutrinionlist / herbalist.  So I d'ont think, you are the only person who has the answers.

The true facts are the end result of a process or technique- which all leads back to what one decides to use.
asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 3:28pm
Mine is not opinion but fact. I don't take it personally, the way you wrote it sounds like you are angry. Opinion leads to misinformation to people that truly need help.
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 12:21pm
You take things to personal,, just voicing my opinion as you are...this site is for everyone to express what they know.

You are not a target here, so dont take it that way.

By the way! so far from a box, you would not believe.

Peace out.!
asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 9:14pm
Sorry your so angry. Silicones are not plastics. Look it up. It's made from silica sand. Everything comes from the earth and we transform it into product. Silicones work, try it and step out of your box. Detox to your hearts content but bottom line what you eat goes into your hair 12 hours later no matter how many times you detox. Hair is a waste are just like your skin and bowels.

Please, take a pill and relax!
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 11:33am
Even though you have been in the industry for how ever long...dosent mean you are right... I totally disagree with you about the hair being healthy

Even during the varied climate changes.....It is all about what to use and not to use.   I too! don't believe in the eggs, mayo, ect.

Show me a natural organic silicon for the hair... dose not exist.  Just plastic coatings for the hair I' say.  hmmm, not good...Healthy hair dosent have plastics coatingCry

Until you try detoxing hairTongue and scalp you really will not have a clear understanding  and experience of what healthy is like....I

asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 5:53pm

I have been in the salon industry for 33 years. I've had two huge salons in CA for 20 years, helped Lanza design their first product line, had my own product company named Oggi International of Beverly Hills, the first to develop volumizers and spray leave-in conditioners and traveled all over the U.S. doing platform work. I now live in Scottsdale, AZ and developed the first waterproof products for hair. I go on various websites answering questions for people concerning color, cuts, product, you name it, and I’ve done it.

I am not blowing my own horn but I wanted to establish my credentials prior to explaining some very important issues regarding hair. I have worked with some pretty heavy duty chemists over the years and have asked just about every question for hair. All are of the same knowledge and mindset that 1. Hair cannot be repaired and 2. You can not control what climates do to hair with water soluble products.

I read about all of these issues of how each one of you go through so many steps and regimens to try to make your healthy. While many of you are correct about healthy living and what you eat, what you do on the scalp and what you put in the hair is almost all useless when it comes to protecting the challenges that you face with climate changes and how it affects you hair.

Oils, veggies, packs, heat treatments, home remedies ... all of them make the hair "feel good" but none of them repair hair nor do they hold up from moderate to intense climates like dry weather, humidity, swimming, snowy weather, rain or winds. Because ALL hair products are water soluble, they all fail to completely CONTROL what climate does to hair. They ALL either dissipate in dry climates or eventually rinse out of the hair in humid climates starting the moment that you step outside of your door.

Conditioners, moisturizers, avocado, broccoli, mayonnaise, oils, you name it ... all fail!

Silicones have gotten a bad rap with people stating that they dry out hair or leave a build up. Not true! All silicone products contain oils, additives, fillers, alcohol, what ever except for one. These are the carriers that dry out your hair. There is only one product designed to control hair in any climate and as long as you continue to use it, your hair will always be in your complete control.

Here is how it works! Moisture is the best moisturizer that you can use on your hair. When hair is wet it is 300% stronger. Picture washing a pair of jeans. When you take them out wet they have flexibility and strength but once you dry them, they shrink up and the fiber is less pliable just like your hair. When conditioners are put into the hair they add proteins but the proteins cannot link for any length of time due to climate changes. This is the reality for hair whether the product is natural or unnatural.

It has been scientifically proven through moisture tests that the only product that can lock in conditioners, moisturizers, water or what ever you chose to lock in ... are silicones. The silicones must be of the highest cosmetic grade possible and the proper balance between the two silicones., this is where the waterproofing comes in. Not only do the silicones block out excess moisture but they also lock in the perfect essential moisture range, which is 10 to 11%. Without this perfect balance hair will eventually dry out and all of the work put into making a salad out of your hair fails. It's about locking and blocking not just laying it on to  watch it fall out and having to repeat the process over and over again.

The beautiful part of using these waterproof silicones is to protect the hair from high heat with flat irons and dryers and not allow frizz to start again nor having to walk around with an oily, wet look. In fact when using a flat iron, the waterproof product goes deeper into the hair shaft more intensive protection. Go to this link to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3iptUnSLWI

jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 5:48pm
condition and moisturize 
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 3:43pm
I wanted to tell you one more thing

my mom went to the Dr. for her visit.....she is 74. she asked him if she could colon cleanse and start taking her b  vitamins and multi vitamins.

He told her to wait.Cry a while until she has another dr. visit.

Well guess what...The B'2 are important for a patient that has had heart surgery, since they can not produce  b's in the body anymore....he should have had her on a suppliment yrs ago.  because now her joints are a problem.  And I just learned this myself.  Lack of knoweldge can be detrimental to us.Angry

My God! I have no faith in Dr's.

SO my point with this story, is, we can not depend on a Dr. to keep us well.

And this goes for what we put on our hair and skin, eat, ect.
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 3:36pm
You're quite welcome!

Do you work in the cosmetic Industry?

I dont, but I wnt to much to shre wht I hve lerned thru  book.....So I wnt to write  smll pperbck book in hopes to get it published.

I too, have found out how much knowledge is lacking amongst our own friends and family.  So with just my little community of people, I think I can have a popular book. 

I am a baby boomer, so a lot of people I know are up in age.

But these younger people really need to get a clue..Don't you think.

I met a lady yesterday, who was talking about how she survived a heart attack and how close she was to maybe seeking retiring into a senori citizen home....due to her health....WOW!  if maybe she changed a lot of things she was using and eating.  Perhaps there could be a change.

asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:06pm
Wow, thanks. It's so difficult trying to offer sensible alternatives when so many do not realize what is out there.
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:27pm
Hi there, you hit it right on the mark. I will add this to your comment:

In order for the hair to be able to hold moisture, there is only one thing that can be done...you have to detox the hair and get away from all the hash shampoos and conditioners and styling products (which simply coat the hair with plastics).  And that my friends is a job for you.  Because you need to understand what is not good in these comm'l products and how they effect your hair.
After 30 yrs, I just found the secret on how to have a healthy head of hair.  My hair does not dry out..Took me about 4 months to detox and actually I still may going thru the process.. African american women have dry hair anyway, so these harsh products, simply make it worse....and many of us think that we can still use the same brands....But honey I can tell you....No you can't.  You have to make a total change and trust me it takes effort, becuase of styling our hair.  Choices is what it is all about

I have spent months reading and researching numerous products that we as AAW use. and I aint seen a good one yet.  Yes! they proclaim natural...NOT!gotta read between the lines and know what those ingredients are.
asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:13pm
I hope that both of you are using these products internally because the root could care less. Hair is fed from your food intake and the types of food that you eat.
asksabino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asksabino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:09pm
It seems that all of you are in agreement as to what to do with your hair as far as maintianing its health. While much of it is true some of it is unesseary extra work and time.

Moisture content is only helpful at the perfect moisture content for hair which is 10 to 11%. Your hair can not absorb anymore moisture than the essential. Moisturizers either dry out of the hair in dry or cold climates or rinse out in humid climates. Adding more conditioners, even deep heat conditioners only hold for 2 to 3 hours. The only way to retain moisture is to use a waterproof hair product.

The reason that some of your hair has been destroyed from heat irons is due to their being metal. Ceramic irons are safer for the hair but regardless, heat can damage hair over time. The only way to avoid that damage is to use a product that prevents heat dmamge and the only one that I know that does that is a waterproof product.

All products are water based and start leaving the hair the moment that you step outside. Your hair may "feel good" but eventually all products leave the hair. Hair is dead and can not be repaired, fixed or rejuvenated.
That's why when color is put into hair it usually fades out over a short period of time except color penetrates deeper due to the developers used to penetrate the cuticle and cortex layer.

The longer hair is on the head the more it eventually breaks down. using traditional products, even "natural" products, will not solve the problem of potential damage. In fact what damages hair the most is hair rubbing against one another with no barrier to allow hair to smoothly slide against each other. Again, the only products that can accomplish this are not water soluble but instead shampoo soluble.

Hope this helps everyone.
opzay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opzay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 5:50am
thanks guys for these great info.i'm really glad i found this forum.i'm new here .and my hair  is just about neck length.i've always thot thati could never grow my hair long until i started to see pictures of long haired black women.even my mom thinks they have to had mixed blood somewhere in their lineage.thanks any ways for these tips.its a good place to start.
i make my own hair leavein/moisturisers. cos the ones we have here are too heavy so they weigh the hair down.its just basically a mix of water,a bit of glycerin,honey,olive oil sesame oil,coconut oil.when i wat to use this i just shake it and spritz thru my hair.it has worked for me so far.it does not wigh my hair it even makes it combableTongue.
opzaycentric
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic