Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 4:50pm
never saw this thread b4 2 day, good info, BTW good hair is clean and neat.
sashi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 10:42pm
hi,

I would like to share a recipe which is very good to control hair fall.

Coconut milk is another magic potion for your hair. Take a dry coconut and grate it. Grind to a fine paste and then sieve through a soft fine cloth to collect the milk of the coconut. Make around 1-2 cups of milk depending on the length of your hair. Apply the milk on the scalp and hair and leave to dry. Keep it for about 2 hrs and then rinse your hair with normal water (do not apply shampoo). This will leave the pure coconut oil in your hair. Keep the oil for 24 hours and shampoo the following day. This process will make your hair softer and smoother to touch and you will see an almost immediate drastic reduction in your rate of hair fall.  For chronic cases of hair loss, do this once a week. Eventually once the problem is resolved completely, you can do this once in 2 or 3 weeks. It helps not only in reducing hair fall but also improves the overall health and texture of hair.
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 9:37pm

There isnan advantage to using pure coconut milk, as opposed to the canned u can buy in the store also coconut oil can be bought in the beauty supply.

Let me know, sounds good.
sashi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 10:46pm
This recipe has worked very good with me. My hair fall has reduced after using coconut milk.  I used it for around 2 months and my hair fall stopped completely.
Samanthajones67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samanthajones67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 11:20am
I must say that diluting my shampoo into a tint bottle has procuced great results for me..... I am cleansing my scalp, and the shampoowater will do the rest for my hair.
Mrs. Jones
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 2:34pm
intresting ....what results are u seeing
Samanthajones67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samanthajones67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 11:15am
The results I see are these:

A cleaner scalp
use of much less shampoo

Mrs. Jones
sashi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 12:38am
I guess instead of diluting the shampoo and using a better option would be to either use a milder shampoo or use certain shampoos which are made of natural products and extracts that do not harm the hair. Such shampoos do not have side-effects also.
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 6:50pm
o ok b/c I know that my hair gets squeaky clean but then dries out so much faster I have natural kinky AA hair
kathyblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 5:47pm
Thanks for your tips. I cut my hair to 2 inches all around and from then I've been taking care of my hair. That was an year ago and know my hair is agout 7 inches in the back. I dont measure my hair the customary way I measure three parts: Crown of my head 9 inches, Sides of my head 8-9 inches and the back of my hair the length 7-8 inches. I'm joining this site for style tips, interesting stories of other people journey, to explain my journey and to keep my hair growing on my head.

MY mother bids me bind my hair
With bands of rosy hue,
Tie up my sleeves with ribbons rare,
And lace my bodice blue.

http://public.fotki.com/kathyblack/
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 6:41pm
I want that coconut oil recipe, and I am going to get crackin ASAP-
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 4:28pm
 I'm also interested in using coconut milk in my routine.  It would probably be great if put in conditioner.  I already use the oil and I love it.  I wonder if I could use the milk from the coconuts that grow in my yard?  That would save me money. 

Anyway, I'm a newbie myself, but the best advice I could have learned from my hair is not to overdry it.  I stopped shampooing my hair altogether because it's sulfates were so drying.  Instead I cleanse my hair and scalp with conditioner.  It's done wonders for the condition of my hair.  It's no longer dry and brittle feeling.  Also I've learned to handle it with care and detangle it with a wide-toothed comb instead of a fine toothed comb and/or brush. 
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 6:44pm
OMG that is so awesome that you have some dang coconuts growing in your backyard.barmy

The trick I learned about haircare, that save me atleast 4 inches of growth is to lightly pick my naps  while they are moist, or with a good detangler. and pick the ends first instead of yanking the pick or comb through from the roots.

I am going back out today to buy coconut oil for my hair.
I wrap my hair a lot. Underneath the wrap, I use leave in conditioners or olive oil with a plastic cap. Otherwise the cloth would dry out my hair and break it off. When it is not wraped it's in an Afro, or about 5 or 7 thick plats.
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 1:00am
Yeah, I guess that's one of the advantages of living in Florida Tongue.  I definitely think I'll hit up the coconut milk.  I'll probably drink the milk, too.  I don't know why I never thought of using the coconuts in my yard before.  It's just that in Florida you see palm trees all of the time and you never really give them a second thought.  If it hadn't been for this forum I probably would never have thought to use them.   
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 2:25am
You lucky duck....I bet fresh coconut milk from your own backyardtaste great! Believe it or not I still have not made it to the store for the coconut oil. I made a mixture of tea tree conditioner, and extra virgin olive oil and after then I put my hair in 6 plats.
I love how the tea tree conditioner smells, and it makes my scalp really tingle.

SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 2:13pm
I have mixed various oils with my shampoo.  Olive Oil, Avocado oil, whatever oil I have lying around.  It really does moisturize your hair. I also mix either oil with my conditioners.

Just remember to shake well before applying to hair (lol)
Annabellefire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annabellefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

10. Comb from the ends to the roots for less breakage.

These are a few tips that were passed on to me when I first started getting my hair together. I hope it helps all of you the way it has helped me. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to share all of this with everyone. Happy Hair!!!

I'm not sure that I understand how this works.  Do you hold the ends while you run the comb through?  I seems like a good way to knot up your whole head.  I like the rest of the tips, but this last one either is just confusing to me and I don't know how to do that, or it shouldn't be apart of this good list of tips. 

Annabelle
GHD Hair Straightener

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 9:09am
Annebellefire, hi there....
This is really an excellent tip for me, especially sinse I have natually nappy African American hair....combing from the roots to the ends causes so much damage u would not believe...
AND IT HURTS LIKE HELLLL.
So when my hair is moist, I lightly pick the ends...pick pick pick ensureing that I am free of matts moving closer and closer to the sclp...is that a little bit more clear?

If not I will try to explain it another way  especially for yourose
welcome to HB if I have not already said that...
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 12:53pm
This tip fits perfectly with managing your hair. If one was to start combing at the roots, the tangles that are within that section of hair will be moved to the end, causeing alot of breakage, more and bigger tangles.  It would seriously be a pain trying to remove them.

You always want to work from the ends and gradually head to the roots. That way, you remove major tangles and can glide better throughout the hair. It may not remove all of the tangles, but it will remove the majority of them.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 1:13pm
in a way...
I guess that is true...coz u are essentially bringing matte towards  the ends and I can see how they could get caught and pull at the ends of the hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic