Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 4:49pm

Sometimes seperating tangles with your fingers is easier then running a comb through it. 

This works for me when i have sewn in weave and it starts to get tangled when wash.  Seperate as much as possible with fingers then try with a paddle brush. if the brush stops, just go to the other side until it slides through and then finally use a wide teeth comb.

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 6:38pm
isn't it intresting how 1 thing works so very well for some and not for others, but there is always something that will work for us all.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 11:51pm
I agree, finger combing don't do nothing for me. Except get my fingers caught in my hair.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 12:37am
Sexysyn i am so happy u found what works for you......barmy
jamaicakid85 View Drop Down
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Anomis Anomis wrote:

Sexysyn i am so happy u found what works for you......barmy

Lol nice smiley!!!

Waves(2001-Present)
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 6:40pm
he is so cute
primNproper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote primNproper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 11:09am
Hey Ladies,

Thanx for all the good tips. This is all helpful advice that I will def be using. i am curious if you all have any specific brands of hair care products that you use. Right now I am devoted to Pantene for African American hair, and while it makes my hair feel like silk, I've heard not so good things from others, like it reeks havoc on your hair. I take decent care of my hair but could stand to do a better job. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 11:23am
I deep condition, with olive oil, after I saturate with olive oil
I use a hot very damp wash cloth that I wrap around my entire head, put a nice sized platic cap over and some times a terri head band around the full hairline to catch leakage and sit under a dryer for 30 minutes,
I love doing this with the Tea Trea conditioners as well, b/c they make my scalp feel tingley and smells soooooo goodrose
Annabellefire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annabellefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Anomis Anomis wrote:

Annebellefire, hi there....
This is really an excellent tip for me, especially sinse I have natually nappy African American hair....combing from the roots to the ends causes so much damage u would not believe...
AND IT HURTS LIKE HELLLL.
So when my hair is moist, I lightly pick the ends...pick pick pick ensureing that I am free of matts moving closer and closer to the sclp...is that a little bit more clear?

If not I will try to explain it another way  especially for yourose
welcome to HB if I have not already said that...

Thank you, for your warm welcomeWink

~AnnaBelleFire~
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 11:02am
no problem
Dancing Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dancing Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 4:51pm
so far I have read a lot of great advice and am truly greatful for this site.

background
I used to have hair down to my bra strap, but in the "wisdom" of youth I went against my mother's advice and cut it. Learned real fast that I don't look good with short hair. My hair grew fast so with some work and time I could get back to where I was. When I was almost there a stylist accidently cut it when removing extensions (she couldnt tell the difference between my hair and the weaveAngry) I was back to square one.  The problem is I had a stroke shortly after and the meds have caused a lot of damage to my hair.

Question
No matter what I do my hair is always brittle, split, and breaks off. I have been reduced to two medications so I have seen some improvment in the new growth.  What I would like to know is if there is anyone who has had a similar problem and what worked for you. I would also like advice on how to combat the brittle breakage and get my hair growing  again.  

thanks and sorry for the long post.
SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 6:27pm
Medication does a real number on hair.  My mom has diabetes and I have seen a transformation in her hair.  I mostly do her hair and work on keeping it conditioned.

I think you may need to start taking some type of vitamin to feed your hair with the needed nutriments from within and also drink lots of water.  Eat alot of fruits and vegetables, especially deep green vegetables. 

Right now I am taking Nouritress hair vitamins and I like them because they are not huge and they don't leave that nasty aftertaste that other vitamins do.  But I make sure to always take it with food.

I order my hair products from www.nourish-hair-care.com.  There products have alot of natural ingredients and I suffered from really dry brittle hair and these products helped me.

I hope this helps.  I am not a stylist, but these products worked for me.  I always had dry brittle chemically treated hair.  Always kept it short because I never knew how to take care of it.  After researching what ingredients are good and what's actually good for your hair and after finally understanding my hair, I now have hair touching my shoulder.  It still breaks from time to time, but it's alot healthier.
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 10:57am
Hi Dancing girl

For brittle and dry of your hair: get the virgin coconut oil ( all natual- may find it at a health food store, about $8-$10.  rub it thruout hair, not on scalp, do it every day and night, pay close attention to ends.

also gett the jojoba oil, gold or clear.   keep on your scalp for a while.  Why because it is the only oil on the planet that actually lets your scalp breath and keep it free from being clogged.. The sebaceous hair glands need to breath in order for our hair to grow

All the products we put on our help clogg our /scalp

If you are hot curling or? everyday....STOP.  try to get thru with once a week.

stay away from extensions unless you can afford to keep your own hair in shap unders the weave.

If you dont get your hair to dry out, you will mildew.

So All I can say is look at what you are doing outside of the medication and make a change from that.
Nothing Beats a Failure but a Try!     Sondra
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 2:10pm
I agree with the two that have posted.  Medication can do a number on the hair, so the only thing you can do is work with what you are doing to your hair.    Less heat and manipulation.  

If you can not purchase anything as of yet, try to use a conditioner mixed with water as a spritz. Suave and V05 conditioners are pretty cheap.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 2:28pm
deep condition , and see if that's effective for you.............
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 12:16am
A deep conditioning treatment that has worked very well for me is called The Caramel Treatment.  I apply it to freshly washed hair, leave it on for an hour or so, and then wash it out with a natural soap and follow up with my regular conditioner. It has made my  hair much softer and shinier.  Here's a link to the recipe:

P.S.

I substituted Vegetable Shortening for the Shea Butter because they have the same effects. Also I found this treatmet to be more moisturizing with Avocado than banana (I usually use both in my mixture). Instead of water, I add organic heavy cream for even more moisturizing benefits. I LOVE it.

Edited by ccmuffingirl - October 27 2007 at 12:16am
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
sashi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 5:54am
I will try this recipe too.
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 6:43am

looks great let us know  if it worrked for you or not

Dancing Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dancing Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 3:20pm
Thanks everyone for the great advice! Please keep the suggestions comming. I have marked my start date for hair repair mission possible and will be sure to keep you all posted.  Medicine be darned!

Thanks!
Karla
Twinklesxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 9:43am
Hey all Tongue

I've never quite known what to do with my hair, I had it permed (wet curls) when I was 13, then I wanted it relaxed so I grew it out...

I only wanted it relaxed becuase the perm was too greasy - and it wasn't until after the relaxer was being washed out my hair that the stylist told me I should've had a wave noveau - as it's dryer curls!!! Cry

So that leads me to why I'm here...

I'm attempting to grow my hair out of relaxer.. I only have about 2-3 centimeters of new growth right now, and I'm aiming to grow it out so it's long enough to have a wave nouveau in time for my 18th birthday in May 2008 (so that's just over 6 months) as I don't think I'd enjoy it as much, not looking how I want to....think it's possible?

I hope so LOL

Any help or tips you can give me, would be the perfect early birthday present!! Big%20smile

S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic