Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Pretippers - dimensions please???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Pretippers - dimensions please???
    Posted: March 24 2005 at 9:30am
okay make fun of dimension girl.  but you have to understand that I work with men designing weird pieces of equipment all day so we have to communicate like that.

but shoelace tip is slightly large than what I'd call a medium so we're all obviously on the same page.
Rapunzelwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rapunzelwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 8:42am
It's been my experience that nail glue alone makes the tips a little brittle, which makes them "crack" on installation, which eventually leads to shedding...
mtolady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 7:08am
i was using gorilla glue as i saw someone talk about that on here....and then i'll drop them with nail glue tonight during laundry.

i did a test tip the other day w/ heat shrink tube...but that one i just used nail glue.  Any reason why i can't do the whole thing w/ nail glue - other than i'll be whacked out from the fumes.

i think most of my tips are less than the size of a cross section of a standard wood pencil.  Although i probably could razor blade these in half if i needed to.  I figured if the shrinkie could fit over it...and my hair chunk was enough...mind you my hair is THICK...so what one thin person would take up in a centimeter's square on a head is much less than what i'll get in that square section.

Also, i'm only planning on doing from the nape of my neck up to maybe 1-2 rows above my ears.  I need to have something on the sides, but only for length. 

stuff should arrive today....so maybe i'll test some tonight if hubby isn't too tired.
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 12:39am

Just think "shoe lace tips." That's exactly what I think about when I'm making my pre-tipped pieces. Using shrink tubes you'll also have the ability to go a little thicker but remember that you'll have to attach thicker ones to a larger chunk of your own hair so it can support the larger extension piece.

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 10:55pm

LOL Mocha....Id be lost with those dimensions! (I never was good with math)

I usually make my pretips about the size of a round toothpick (easier for my brain to interpret!)

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 10:39pm
Damn, Mocha! You've got those dimensions down.

I have a feeling someone's going to quickly become the resident pretipper around here! :)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:59pm
it gets less messy with practice.  You also get more consistently sized tips with practice.  Though with wefts i would imagine thats less of an issue.

Anyhow small ones i do about 1/16" in diameter
largest ones about 3/32" in diameter.
split the difference for medium

what kind of hair and what kind of glue are you using?
mtolady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtolady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:45pm
well, i just finished pretipping from my wefts.  since i'm using shrinkies and haircandy says shrinkies have a lot of room, i should be fine....

but i'm just curious, how big in diameter do you usually make your pretips?

and is it just me being INCREDIBLY MESSY, or is pretipping a messy job?

ewwww! LOL
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic