Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Skin Brothers Hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 12:09pm

Farrakahn is a prime example of a Black man who made his path and did not let his path make him. Although I don't agree with all of his beliefs, I do support African American nationalism (Pro Black). We need to help ourselves. But I do not support blaming white people for all of our problems, neither does Farrakahn.

We create some of our own problems being ignorant. Ignorance is bliss but it hurts us. We have to respect each other and learn to give each other a chance to make it. Crabs in barrel pull each other down, can we help each other without the slave mentality. MTV and BET is not the way that we should pattern our lives.

I wish I could hear comments and thoughts from the MEN on this site. I've heard from a WOMAN and she had more to say than any MAN on this site. She's very strong and aware of what we face. As usual a strong sista steps up while the men sit back and say nothing. Can I hear from the MEN in more than one sentence. How about a few sentences? Four words don't qualify as a sentence, not here, not about this subject, and not with me.

Edited by BIGGMike
Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
The Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 9:05am
THECHOSEN1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 11:27pm

good info i fell yall on dat info i like farakan to lol

waveing is mental a barrier u must over come

fullxdiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 11:09pm

Originally posted by BIGGMike BIGGMike wrote:

I know what I've done today 07/27/05, planted seeds.

Someone else will come along and water those seeds, and God will give the increase.

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 4:36pm
God is with me so who's against me? Black men we have to wake up and stand up. Be strong, and have faith in your beliefs. You know right from wrong, so speak the true and you will be blessed. Our hair is only one issue of concern. There are many more concerns that have not been addressed. Think about it brothers. What have you done today to help yourself and to help your people? I know what I've done today on 07/27/05, planted seeds.

Edited by BIGGMike
Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 4:29pm

Originally posted by fullxdiva fullxdiva wrote:

somebody failed him, we are the ones failing our own people, "US" we are failing each other, if you ever see me slide by the way side, don't pass me by, reach out and give this sistah a helping hand and pull me up, or a slap up side the head and bring me back to my right mind, please!

This sister knows her culture and is not afraid to say something about it. I see why she's in the military, she's brave and smart too. Thanks Sister!

We are failing each other. Do you know what the hardest job in the world is? Trying to talk to black people about the misconceptions and bias attitudes in our own race. It's like pulling teeth in the dark with a tweezers. Everybody has an opinion but they're on the defence if it envolves actively doing something about it.  MLK was attacked constantly by his own people, Malcom X was attacked constantly by his own people, Sista Soldier (formally of PE) is attacked for standing up against the degredation of black women, and I am/will be attacked for speaking out by my own people.  I know this will happen and I expect it just as Malcom and Martin expected it.  

Some people have never been taught about African American pride. Oh it's one thing to talk about the civil rights struggle in the 60's, it's another thing to talk about the year 2005 and beyond. People don't want to hear it. It's like salt on a snail. They think you're a trouble maker. No the person that's in denial is a trouble maker for the entire race. They are the ones creating problems and denying their envolvement.

Edited by BIGGMike
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 12:11pm

On that light vs dark, see Spike Lee's movie School Daze, he addresses the same issues. plus it's a good movie.

BIGMike you couldn't have said it any better that you already said it, those that benefit from it refuse to talk about it, EVEN if they see the discrimination and know that it exists. But to confront the issue would be like taking money out of their own pockets, or food off their tables, or giving their promotion away to someone that might have actually worked hard and deserved to get it. 

That's where ignorance comes in b/c white people being oblivious to qualifications and seeing only the color of a persons skin would rather give a job to a light skin person rather than a dark skin person, being aware but not totally to the concept that regardless of how you see them they are still Black, African Americans, you can't make them white no matter how light they are. And this is where we SEE the discrimination and yet refuse to put an end to it, instead we embrace it b/c it pays the bills.

I see it every single day in the military, you know why? Before joining the military some of these people have never left their home towns and NEVER EVER seen a black person or a white person in real life, up close, or touched one, let alone God forbid talked to one. I cannot tell you how many times people asked me "they have black people in Missouri?" - well yeah!  so this whole "race thing" is all new to them and some of them have to deprogram what they have been taught all their lives, and try to co-habitat with other races. And we are the hardest on our own kind, it's so so sad, but so so true. We are like crabs in a barrel.

But you know how we handle it BIGMike? we do just what you said we shouldn't do, we brush it under the rug, oh we have mandatory classes on this stuff, but who wants to hear that we have racism and prejudice and sexism in the military? no one, but it's there so imagine when you have to not only deal with Black vs White vs Hispanics vs Asians vs Islanders vs Native American vs male vs female vs light vs dark vs junior rank vs senior rank and the list just keeps going.....but tolerate it to a certain level b/c there is a blanket of denial that states we will provide equal opportunity and fair treatment to EVERYONE without regard to race, gender, color,religion, or national origin. And even if you know different you better keep in house cus that's family business.

Even culture can be a concern, we have a lot of people that come from one race but was brought up in a another type of culture. for example: we have this one guy, he looks black, got that "black hair", but he tells people he is white, you know when you have to mark your race on an application form - he marks white. is he white? does he even look close to it? resemble it even? NO!!! but he say his mama white- you can't tell that either and his daddy is black, so he considers himself white, is he crazy? no, he is highly ignorant, confused and uneducated. did he get that way on his own, probably not, I'm sure someone in his family had to tell him that.

somebody failed him, we are the ones failing our own people, "US" we are failing each other, if you ever see me slide by the way side, don't pass me by, reach out and give this sistah a helping hand and pull me up, or a slap up side the head and bring me back to my right mind, please!

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 10:52am

Thanks fellows, I knew I could depend on your support.

Not all light skin people avoid this subject. But I find that many do.

Louis Farrakahn is a light skin African American and he digs right in when it comes to discussing sensitive subjects like discrimination and skin color, of course he's a leader. There are more leaders out there too.

Blazer15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:56pm
lol .
Holla at ya boy BK/QN finest. My waves is so lethal makes you sick to death.
The Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:48pm
me too not 2 light
Blazer15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:06pm
Im light skin too but not too light.
The Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 4:00pm
Im light skin but I like to talk about this issue
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 2:08pm
What you think pmp4lfmike? Did I hit the nail on the head, or did it hit me?
pmp4lfjmike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 1:07pm

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 10:56am

You are right Blazer, but the only problem is that it is embedded in our "American" culture. It was bread into our families. Why do you think most dark skin people are poor in this country. Why do you think the lighter skin people in the same race make more money and have more oppotunities? Because society decide who gets what regardless of education. It's still being used to divide our entire race. We not only have to deal light skin vs dark skin, but now it's male vs female. It's really sad.

The only way to deal with this is to talk about it and bring it to the light. It does not help to sweep it under a rug, because the minute you apply for a J.O.B. or find youself being excluded from employment and the right own a home, it will come up.  

It's not everybodies favorite subject to talk about because it's painful and we would rather pretend it does not happen so we don't have to confront it. The issue does not get solve thinking like that.

White people who don't want to confront racism also don't want to talk about it because they benifit from racism.  I wonder is that why light skin people, who benifit from their lighter skin tone, would rather not talk about it because they benifit too? Just wonder?

Edited by BIGGMike
Blazer15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 4:38pm
I was thinking da same thing.
The Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 6:41am
true we do need to stop light skin vs dark skin nappy vs good that so stupid
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 12:02am

Originally posted by BIGGMike BIGGMike wrote:

They think it's a game. Well, if it's a game somebody had better explain the RULES to them before death, prison, or drug addiction happens. And it need to be a MAN not a woman. A MAN is subject to a different set of rules than a woman, so he is better suited to explain these rules than the mother. I know some women may get upset with this but who cares, I don't. They think they know but don't......  Find out the truth and have some pride. Real MEN stand up and be counted!

DITTO!! You know I feel you on this, this just re-emphasizes the importance of a man's role as the head in our homes and in our young peoples lives, a Black King raising young queens and especially young kings teaching them to grow up and rule our society with a better standard of morals and respect. But we have to stop the hatred toward one another and educate ourselves before we can expect people of other races or cultures to understand our struggles. B/C in their eyes it doesn't matter if you are light skin or dark skin, to them you are black... period. We create division ourselves by deciding whats excepted, dark vs light, good hair vs bad hair.

People with so called "good hair" wish they had kinky hair so they can do more with it. My daughter is ten and has even went through this, at one time she was the only black girl in her class so she would ask me why her hair was not straight like the other lil girls and why was she more "tanner" than the other girls. She might have been six or seven at the time, imagine explaining that to a six year old. Even now, she wants a relaxer,  I refuse to relax her hair, not saying that i won't when she's a lil older, but I tell her that she has "good strong hair" now, and a relaxer will destroy all that.

When we can accept ourselves the way we are, it's easier to accept others, when they can't accept us it's their demon to deal with.

Can't stand fa people to call me "redbone", I'm not that lite- I call myself "Papersack Brown ".  For me it's about preference, so imma take ya back to what we use to say when I was younger, the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice, and ooooh how sweet it is!!!

One thing that surprised me when I deployed to Somalia, some of them were some of the darkest people I had I ever seen, black as tar, but they were BEAUTIFUL!!!, and if you just happen to see a woman with her hair out, it was long and pretty and what we call "good hair", nothing like what they show on those commercials (they have those too but that's not the whole Africa).

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
Blazer15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 3:46pm
Thats right you got it.
The Man View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 3:43pm
You right about everything they treat us so bad but we have to overcome all of that hate and stand

Edited by The Man
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic