Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hey guys, what is this?...shrinkies?...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hey guys, what is this?...shrinkies?...
    Posted: June 14 2005 at 5:31pm

I know the ones everyone all uses has a keratin coating inside but is this what shrinkies are linke before cut down to size?  Sorry for the questions but im new to shrinkies.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category =20594&item=5970971427

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 5:34pm
It's certainly quite similar.

There isn't too much info on there.  Like what milspec they are...

The ones that everyone likes so much are 3:1 polyolefin dual wall (the second wall is the glue).  At least I'm pretty sure.
 1/8 inch ID pre shrink...

I think Docs and Kristins are 2:1

But yeah you can get it in all kinds of colors...
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 5:38pm

I always wondered how they came.  Thanks mochachip! 

I wonder how they get the keratin inside a tiny tube as small as that. 

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 5:41pm
I'm sure the plastic is extruded so they probably have a feed for the glue at the end of the pulling piece.  If that makes any sense.

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:01pm

amazing.  I remember hearing somewhere that shrinkies dont work without the adhesive lining.  Do you konw if that's true mochachip as im sure there are a few people on ebay selling shrinkies without the adhesive?

When / if i do decide to try shrinkies, i'd only buy mine from amm, that way you can be sure your getting the real thing.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:08pm
Yeah I've tried the no adhesive approach.  I think it would be a great idea for someone who wants weekend streaks that are more secure than clip on streaks and less time consuming than PB's

other than that the adhesive free ones are sorely lacking in staying power
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:12pm
It really doesn't make sense if shrinkies have keratin inside, and I really don't think they do.  Here's why:  keratin is removed with acetone.  It doesn't come out with oil like shrinkie residue does.  I know that heat shrink tubing comes in "dual walled", and the inside wall is actually what you're talking about when you are referring to the "adhesive lining".   Basically, when you heat the tubing, the inside wall melts.  That's the residue left over when you remove the shrinkie.  And you use an oil based remover to remove shrinkie reside, but that won't work on keratin.  I know that "shrinkies" are a thinner more flexible piece of heat shrink tubing, but I'd really like to know what kind of heat shrink tubing.  Is it dual walled?  In which case the residue is the melted inner wall.  Or is it single walled with some sort of adhesive added?  And if so, what is the adhesive?  Because it sure can't be keratin. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:17pm
Further, it would make no sense to use a thin coating of keratin on the inside of heat shrink tubing.   There wouldn't be enough keratin to make a difference.  For keratin to actually work and have staying power, the strands must be saturated with it.  And there just wouldn't be enough keratin in some thin coating inside a shrinkie.   It would flake off within a few washes.  So yeah, I'm really curious about exactly what kind of shrinkies everyone is talking about.
smcs-uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smcs-uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:24pm

Hi, firstly I know very little about hair extensions, but a sudden rush of referrals from here made me curious.

I have several people who as far as I am aware buy the smaller sizes for use as shrinkies.

The MIL specs are AMS-DTL-23053/5, DEF STAN 59-97 and VG 95343 Pt5

It is polyolefin, single wall, no adhesive, 2:1 shrink at 100 degrees C.

One buyer did mention using a heat wand, maybe you could tell me what sort of temperature they reach? The dual walled adhesive lined 3:1 and 4:1 shrink at 110 degrees C.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:30pm
Bird I totally agree its not actually keratin on the inside.

however at some point I bothered to look up what the glue was for the MIL specs on the dual wall stuff.

and Its really not tooo far off.

I mean there are only so many basic types of glue.  milllions of variants in each category, but only so many basics.  Anyhow, whats really frustrating is that you can't find any good info on what the heck *keratin* glue actually is.

However assuming its not just a name keratin = protein
and so did the glue for the heat shrink tubing.  well in the most basic way.  clearly there was some finagling going on.

also there are tons of types of heat shrink tubing.  PVC, polyolefin, blah blah blah.  different ones have different properties before and after shrinking

I'll go dig up that MIL spec info if you want.

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:44pm

No the adhesive inside the shrinkie is not keratin.The dual walled tubing was around long before anyone got the idea of using them for hair extensions. Yes the shrinkies are a dual walled shrink tube, the inner 'wall' is the adhesive (thats my understanding too) The single walled just DONT work.

And I will say that the citrus remover from shrinkies.net also worked on my keratin fusion bonds.

Edited by sherrie215
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:54pm
Yup--no way it's keratin, imo either. :)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 6:56pm
Hey I didn't say it was keratin
just same family

like not the same family as nail glue which is a cyanoacrylate just like super glue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 7:06pm

Sherrie,

How exactly did you remove the keratin with the citrus remover?  I've tried many extension removers and different oils to remove keratin, but it didn't work.  Maybe I didn't give it long enough or work the removers in well enough.   When I remove my keratin bonds, I place a drop of acetone on the bond and squeeze with pliers.  That crumbles it and turns it into a powder that I brush out.  I haven't found anything else that does the same thing.  That's the main reason I don't use anything that requires an oil based remover.  It seems like you have to work the remover in to get the glue out and I'm not that patient.  What does that citrus remover have in it?  And did it work like acetone (one drop, one squeeze of the pliers, and brush out)?

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 7:55pm

glue.... keratin...

Mocha my reply was to Shel in the original first post.( Sorry if it sounded like I was questioning you) I think sometimes it all just gets so confusing, what is keratin what is glue.... I know some shrinkies 'claim' that their adhesive inside is keratin, (of course not to be confused as glue!  LOL)

Bird, yes I have used Amms citrus remover on my last removal of fusion bonds, just wanted to see if it worked and it did. No not like acetone. I left it sit on the bonds and soak in awhile. Then crunched & removed. It works, takes longer...but Im sure its healthier than acetone!

Edited by sherrie215

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 10:12pm

I have never experienced any problems with acetone.  It dries your hair out a bit, but that's easily fixed with a shampoo and conditioner.  It's not permanant.  It never damages my fingernails either. 

That's interesting about the citrus remover removing keratin too.  I'm going to stick with acetone because I don't want to have to wait for it to soak in if I don't have to.  Acetone is quick and easy.   I'd still be interested in knowing what's in the citrus remover though.

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 10:32pm

Ive never experienced anything that I can see from acetone, but for me, my fine, thin, color and bleach damaged brittle, dry hair....I cant see acetone being good. When I put the acetone on, my hair completely soaks it up. I think my fingernails are a bit stronger than my hair! I like the ease of removal with acetone, but I know its not a good thing for my hair.

If you ask Amm she may be able to tell you more about the citrus remover.

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 2:42am

Thanks Sherrie.  I heard it had a keratin coating from someone selling them on ebay who was obviously not correct9N.B. not the seller that i posted the link of, it was someone else).  That was nice of the seller from the link to come on here and clarify.

Bird - i use an oil also to remove fusion extensions sometimes instead of acetone.  I leave it to sit on the bonds for a bit before i begin to remove.

xx 

Edited by shel221
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 4:12am

I think most of these companies just advertise the inner lining of the shrinkies as keratin because that what the Doc originally started advertising it as.  I've been told that it is polyamide which rings true.  I tipped the hair for one client with hot melt clear craft glue sticks that are polyamide to apply it with shrinkies.  Before I did this I tested it on my manniquin head.  The craft glue tip seemed to remelt slightly when in the shrinkie and seemed to melt slightly into the hair and the finished shrinkie was absolutely rock hard like I've never felt before which made me very happy but also concerned what would happen when I took it out.  Before I did the client install I removed the shrinkie and used Amm's remover and all products came out really easy even though the craft glue tip had quite obviously remelted onto the hair providing a really tight hold.  I then installed my client and also put another one in my manniquin head.  Its now been two weeks and the client hasn't had one shrinkie come out which is such a massive boost for me.  I have been washing my manniquin head with the shrinkie/craft glue stick tip in three times a week for two weeks also to mirror the client's hair wash.  The shrinkie is still rock hard.  Last night I removed it and the residue came straight out again with Amm's remover.  I think tipping with clear hot melt craft glue sticks is the way to go guys! xxx Test it for yourself.  The shrinkie goes rock hard like you've never experienced before and it holds and then it comes straight out with Amm's remover.  The only drawback I can find is that perhaps someone with a sensitive head wouldn't like the fact that the shrinkie went so hard but my client says they are really comfortable. xx I am keep a vigil with her and will report back every week with shrinkie fall out progress xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 1:52pm

Hmmmm, so you are saying that cheap craft glue sticks are safe to use on our hair?  If that's true, we wouldn't have to order the more expensive keratin sticks online.   We could just save our money and go to the craft store.   

I wouldn't personally use it because I don't want to have to work the oil remover into the bond and wait......I just like to place a drop of acetone and remove easily and instantly.  But I guess it might be an alternative to keratin for anyone who doesn't mind doing more work to remove them.  

Though if it's easily removed with oil, then why can't you remove the same glue with oil when you're using it for things that it's meant to be used for?  Like, well, crafts?

Edited by BirdOfEden
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic