Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWomen Suddenly Cutting their hair short

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
duke View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 8:41am

I wish they wouldn't do that! It's partly what Katherine says, though perhaps saying long hair on an older woman is "unacceptable" is a bit too strong. It's more unconventional, I think.

Part of the reason may be that women tend to (due probably at least partly to social conditioning) like change. Some of them may keep their hair long until after the marriage, because their boyfriend may like it or she thinks he might, but then decide that, having married him, she "has" him and therefore needs not do so much to "keep him", and cut it off for the sake of change, comfort of fashion.

The big question is, how can a guy send a message to a girl that he would like her to keep it long, without offending her?

eKatherine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 9:12pm
In the old days, only girls cut their hair (short was bsl back then), and women grew their hair quite long. Now it is the opposite, only young women (or young, beautiful women) are considered to be acceptable candidates for long hair, and the older they get, the shorter women are supposed to keep their hair. So for women who plan to live up to society's expectations, a haircut is a rite of passage into "maturity", and failing to cut your hair is considered immature at best, and in any case a major character flaw.

According to this schema, short hair is required for older women, regardless of the condition of the hair or the success of the styling/cut, while long hair is unacceptable, regardless of how beautiful it might be in the absolute sense.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
phil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 3:03pm

As a frequent visitor to the country I have to say that I think short hair is more prevalent in Scotland. The same applies to the North of England, particularly Yorkshire. I hate to generalise, but I have a feeling the inhabitiants more "no-nonense" approach to life may be a factor.

phil
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 10:44am

Hi,

Just wondered if any of you ladies can shead any light on this. Why do so many women get married and then suddenly decide after years to have their long hair cut short ? I know a lot of new mums do this also but I can see a practical reason for this. Any insight for me ?

Thanks.

Edited by buzzedboblover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic