Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help with Plastikhaar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 4:17pm
This is just a shot in the dark, but did you razor the ends? I feel like that helps a lot with the overall manageability. :)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 4:43pm
I have to second everything Rae and Jenny have said.  I also think that if part of the problem is tangling before it actually makes it to your(clients) head that you  need to remember that a little braid spray or dome spray or flasher goes a long way with keeping it manageable in bulk.  never never never pull very hard to break a piece off.  You end up stretching the haar and then forget it it's gonna frizz and tangle and Blech!

And I really really agree about having to razor the ends. 

I detangle when I get up.  once or twice during the day and when I head off to bed before I boink.  But I always start easy like with my fingers before I move on to the comb cause like I said you pull to hard and then the haar stretches and then run run for your life!!!!

:)al
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 4:53pm

Even though plastik haar may have the same manufacturer as prohair, I think the prohair is much softer.  In the Prohair class, the instructors where talking about how their hair is manufactured with a 'special  finish' to make it feel more like human hair.  Perhaps this 'special finish'  only applies to the prohair and not the plastik haar?  I thought that the instructors were just saying that to 'talk up' their product, but after working with both brands of hair, there definitely is a difference.

The prohair natural body texture is beautiful and soft, but it only comes in a 30" length, so when it's doubled, it's not usually long enough for most extension wearers.

I also like the Flasher spray a lot too.

In any case, if I'm installing synth on a client, I will only order prohair, but for myself, plastik haar will do fine because I don't mind  a little more extra work on it.

The Prohair is a little more expensive, ranging from $25.99-$28.99 per 3.5 ounces, but at least I can order it and receive it in a day or two if need be.

Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 5:12pm

Thanks a lot guys that's made things a lot clearer especially thanks to Rae with the comment about not using products on the PH is like not using conditioner on the hair.  I'm panicking now because when I was tipping the 28inch hair I did get some tangly bits and I pulled a lot to detangle so does that mean that the hair I've put in her head is that why its tangling so much OH NO.  I didn't know.  I thought it was ok to pull because it would go back to its original condition when I blew it out xx

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 7:49pm
Well, I think you're OK. The haar is more resilient than you might think. As long as you don't burn/singe it, it should basically be fine.

If you have messed up the ends from pulling too hard, you'll notice that a few ends are spindly and you can just trim those off. Again, I think the razoring (and even some subtle layering) makes the hair a lot easier to manage on the ends. Otherwise, it can be too thick, and if it's too thick, you may have a hard time getting a brush through it, so you might pull it, etc., etc.

:)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 8:50pm
nono sorry amanda

You can see it without looking hard if you have pulled too hard.

you get kinda straight bits followed by spiraly bits.

and that is on individual strads so they stick up is funny directions.

I've had the problem of having to snip individual strands from pretips that I don't want to have to remake altogether after handleing the hair roughly.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 9:05pm
I think Sara said she has the same supplier as DOME, not Prohair, which would explain why Jenny has found little to no difference between the two when she's worn them side by side. Prohair may be an entirely different bird. I would like to try it myself but you have to be officially licensed .
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Syren123 Syren123 wrote:

Prohair may be an entirely different bird. I would like to try it myself but you have to be officially licensed .

Nuh uh.

Natural

http://afrocare.com/cgi-local/afro/getsynhair.cgi?id=156&T=S

Straight

http://afrocare.com/cgi-local/afro/getsynhair.cgi?id=154&T=S

Wavy

http://afrocare.com/cgi-local/afro/getsynhair.cgi?id=155&T=S

Enjoy!

re: Plastikhaar

I'm also experiencing the same ease as Jenny with the long length. The "bunching" I can relate to but never any tangles.

My first post about PH, I bemoaned that it felt like the "mother of all tangles" was close at hand. It's never happened. I don't even use anything on it but regular shampoo and conditioner. It's wonderful. I have really grown to love it. What I did not like, however, was dealing with it in bulk while I was pretipping. I would get the ends over the top of each other and inevitably get a lot of waste.    

Edited by amm
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 10:16pm
I believe Sara said she had the same supplier as ProHair, not Dome, but she's also implied that it's basically all the same thing. The only quality difference I know of is that the Chinese fibers aren't supposed to be as good as the Japanese ones, but I think Sara's pretty much phased al the Chinese ones out now.

I could be wrong, but my theory is that the amount of tangling has more to do with the wave pattern than with the brand. I'm thinking that straighter the hair, the easier it is to manage, even though it's all essentially the same fiber. So the straights should all perform about the same. The ProHair natural looks a bit looser than the PH 50mm, which is in turn looser than the Dome Classic, which is looser than the PH 28mm and the Dome Wavy, and so forth, and that would dictate tangling, to some extent.

Fina may also have an opinion on this; I believe she's worn PH and ProHair in various patterns. And Boogiemama is using both now.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

I bemoaned that it felt like the "mother of all tangles" was close at hand. It's never happened. 

Yup--it feels that way when it's first installed, but the hair never actually tangles; it just sticks together a bit, if that makes any sense. And unlike with HH, it becomes less tangly after washing.

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 10:40pm
Jenny, I just installed the straight PH on my daughter and I found it the same in terms of handling it during tipping. It tangled  just as easily as the 50 mm. Its not really that the tangling is bad. It just seems that you have to use your fingers and work the ends apart. If you pull then you get tangles. But if you just seperate the ends with your fingers it works. Maybe thats what you refer to as bunching? And yes, once I razored the ends of her hair the problems seemed to be less of an issue.
plastikhaar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plastikhaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 3:52am

hi girls

well synthetic hair has two more negative habits compared to human hair:
- its much heavier
- its not as elastic as human hair.
wich meens the fibre tends to overstretch quite easy!

i found cumbing your hair by hands much more easy then brushing it
5times
a day. the fibre is more tangle free the longer you wear it, imo

as for kanekalon suppliers....

well you have the fibre manufacturars in japan!
they only produce the fibre. trust me there arent that many in japan.
most traders are getting the raw kanekalon from the same companies.
ok then there are companies in china or korea who manage the hair
they weave it, cut it, curl it, etc...
i know dome does that in china, i do it in korea.

as i said, you have to compare the exact same colours with prohair
and you will see it is the same. believe me i was there myself and learned
alot about the whole hairindustry. traders dont do anything to the fibre
itself,
no special cover or smth. that does the manufacturar.
so if you have for ex. my magenta: pro hair has the same colour
compare it! its exactly the same.
BUT! you have to note that my hair is longer then the prohair wich also
is a reason why it might tangle more easy.
so for comparing: same colours and cut it to same length..

i think its very importand to handle the hair very careful before and while
installing it to a costumers head. i always brush it very long with a lot
or dark and lovely shine spray till its absolutely tangle free but not
damaged at all. dont pull at all, its really the worst thing ever!
never pull it, even not if its on your head.
if your beeing patient with your synth it stays nice forever.
im wearing synth hair for more then 5 years now (with almost no break)
: )

hope thats any help.

ahh and regarding the 28mm
if you dont want the hair too long, cut it before installing, its much more
easy to handle.

sara
need some great hair?
plastikhaar hair.supply

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 3:53am
Well I boinked my hair last night when I went to bed after installing three rows and this morning it looked like I'd had a perm.  i didn't like it at all so I washed it.  I couldn't even get the comb through it when I had washed it so I cut it all off as I was getting my hair off with it and was gonna be late for work.  I had a proper strop in the bedroom you should have seen me, what a drama queen LOL.  I don't think this PH stuff is for me at all and I really thought it was going to be so if anybody wants my left over ph and my natural colour ring then they are welcome xxx
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 4:50am
If it makes you feel any better, it took me a while--like 2 1/2 to 3 weeks--to learn how to "manage" synth, but now that I have worn it for awhile, it's *so* nice and easy to deal with.

I think the problem is, you're doing too much to it. I would really recommend not washing it for as long as possible after the initial install. I would also recommend not trying to comb it much while wet. I like to wash it about once a week, and only when I have enough time to let it air-dry. If boinks are giving you any weird kinks, it may be that you've wrapped the ends too tight. Try one loose boink, and leave the last 2 inches or so loose (not wrapped).

Wash-and-blowdry works for HH obviously, but synth really does require a different approach.

jodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 5:04am
Amanda' i wouldn't mind a look at that left over ph and colour ring if its not 2 much bother. let me know and i'll send you my info.
*jodie*
   X

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 6:17am
Hi there Jodie.  You can have the hair and the colour ring for £30.00 including some hair that I've pre-tipped for my install that I haven't bothered with x
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 7:55am
Sorry to hear you gave up on the PH Amanda.  This is exactly the opposite of my paranoia of trying out HH.  I need to go bump that thread in a second.  BUt anyhow, PH is so easy for me.  I mean I nit pic about, what kind of brush to use, and widetooth combs vs paddle brushes and what not, but in general I have no trouble with it.

Which is why I'm terrified to try HH.  I've bought some now, and I'm so worried I'll end up tossing it in the trash after a week cause I won't know what to do...

Which is why it's going to live on my wall for a good long while.

:)al
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 8:24am
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

Originally posted by Syren123 Syren123 wrote:

Prohair may be an entirely different bird. I would like to try it myself but you have to be officially licensed .

Nuh uh.

Natural

http://afrocare.com/cgi-local/afro/getsynhair.cgi?id=156&T=S

Straight

http://afrocare.com/cgi-local/afro/getsynhair.cgi?id=154&T=S

Wavy

http://afrocare.com/cgi-local/afro/getsynhair.cgi?id=155&T=S

This is in England. Add the exorbitant shipping to the $30/bag and...forget it. I meant you can't buy it here. That's a bummer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 8:27am
Mocha - I'm sad that I haven't got on with PH as well I was looking forward to all those funky colours as well.  I had so much luck with the bohyme I'm going to go with that again.  Can send you some samples if you want to try that xx
jodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 1:58pm
Thanks Amanda, i've just been on the PH site & there's so much to choose from i'm gonna order from them and have a go, if i like it then i'll see what the thought is from my clients. The colours are wilde!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic