Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice needed! On dying my hair black! :D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Timothy miles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed! On dying my hair black! :D
    Posted: June 25 2005 at 9:36am

Heya Everyone,

My name is Tim Miles, I'm from South Wales in the UK and i have a few questions maybe some could help me with :)

Ever since i started liking Rock Music i have wanted my hair black,

I recently decided to dye it Black (Semi perminent) and it turned out black but not the black i was after. My problem is it is dark but you can still see my natural darkish brown colour when the light is on it. When light isn't on it, it looks black.

I want to dye my hair perminent black because i then no it will look proper black....i have been told that it looks very un natural....this isn't what i'm worrying about, i'm worrying about the consequences of dying it a perminent colour......My skin is pale and i have blue eyes and my hair at the moment with the black colour suits me fine so a permanent would suit me....it's just if i ever wanted to change my color from black to my natural colour would it be very difficult?

my hair is also long like the typical rock music loving person and i wouldn't want to risk it falling out. Can anybody giv me some advice on what to do and give me some help in allowing me to imagine what permanent would look like.

NEED HELP urgently

Thanks very much all:D:D

Tim.

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:09am

You did the right thing by going with a semi-black.  Since you are pale, you would look even whiter by going with a harsh black in permanent.  And, if you dye with a permanent over the semi-black, you will do more damage to your long hair.  Don't forget to condition!!

That's cool you love rock (me too) and want to portray a great rock image.  Go ahead and look for a soft black permanent if you really want to go blacker, oh, or you could try some black permanent lowlights through your hair, instead of all over.  To do the lowlights,  you could buy a cheap mascara, and rinse off the wand, then dip the wand in the black hair dye, and comb it in random places on your head.  Since you have dark brown hair anyway, true black may not look sooo harsh, compared to if you had lighter hair.

Goodluck rocker!

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:30am

Yes but don't use Feria black cuz then if u wanted to use a color remover like colorfix it will be difficult to take it out, try nice and easy by clairol or something since u really wanna go permanent.

No offense, but don't you think the whole dying lighter hair black thingy is a little cliched? Oh well, whatever work for u!

If ur worried abt the brown showing through then u should probably use blue-black...hope this helps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 11:35am

Thanks guys great advice!

I was told that if you dyed your hair semi perminent black and brown still shows slightly then about 1 week later when your hair has had a rest you can dye it again semi perminent and then it will be a deeper black and wud still wash out.....

I am willing to give this ago because i'm quite unsure whether perminent would be too good!

Thanks for all the advice!:D:D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:08pm

Oh yeah that's a better way to go deep black! Yes u should def. give it a go and if ur still not satisfied then u can resort to permanent..good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 3:43pm

Yeah deep black would be exactly how iw ant it but am unsure whether semi on semi would work...i'mpretty sure it would:D

Thanks For All The Help:D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 5:31pm
To answer ur question, yes it would becuz it will help deepen the color even more thus making it come out the shade shown on the swatch. Also, u'll want to keep the color fresh so try to get a good color depositing shampoo/conditioner for black hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 7:24am

Heya Veronica F.......

Thanks for all the advice!:D

Your a ledgend....you have really helped me out:)

Thanks again

Tim...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 8:49am

Awww thanx ...I'm glad it worked out for u!

Edited by Veronica F
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 9:21am

Heya TM,

I just recently came out of that faze of rinsing my hair black. I was using a semi-perm hair color also, and was having the same problems, my natural brown was starting to show through after about a week or two. But I do PT(physical training) four days out the week and use wrap lotion in my hair often, which helped the fading process. I was reading your responses and was going to suggest using a shampoo and conditioner designed for color treated hair but Veronica has already squared you away on that issue. I re-colored my hair every four weeks and as long as I kept it conditioned, I had no problems with it drying out.

If your having doubts about going permanent then it's probably better to just stick it out with the semi, especially if there is a chance you may want to revert back to your natural color.

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 9:50am

thanks very much :D

for the advice

will take it in and keep it in mind:D

thanks for your time:D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 1:49pm

Heya Guys!

I just wanna ask a few more questions.........

I have just washed my hair for the first time since i dyed it and the difference in colour is very noticeable, ealier today it was black it is now dark brown.....

I used head and shoulders

Pantenne Conditioner

my hair is now dark brown and i don't like it this color i like it black....

If i were to dye it semi on top of semi would it look black still after the firs few washes.....or should i just go straight to perminent as i do like this color and want it as my color for some time....however not for long long periods and one time i would like it removed but then i know the damages of this.

Could you guys give me some major help and advice on like the pros and cons of using each and what you would recomend.

Thanks so much!:D:D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 5:08pm

Ah now i see good reason as to why ur hair faded already...its the head & shoulders which is responsible. Please if u want to keep the color fresh do NOT use dandruff shampoos (like h&s) it works at stripping and fading a lot of the color! I hope this makes sense ..If i were u i would go ahead and re apply the semi again and gives it 48 hrs for the color to set in and meanwhile u should look for a color depositing shampoo atleast (lol). I recall that in Europe they have tony and guy's color depositing shampoo in all the colors, different reds blondes browns and for black as well!!

However, if u feel it still fades too much for ur liking then go ahead and use the permanent, but i can't guarantee that the fadage factor will be any less!! It's true, lol.

Well that's all i got for now!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 4:02am

Once again Veronica You have helped me greatly!!

Miricle! lol

umm before i go can i ask you what is color depositing shampoo....i have pantenne pro v for coloured hair but by the name of the shampoo you have said it deposits more color on your hair...where could i buy some of this....

bearing in mind i live in the United Kingdom and you in the US.

Any sites on the net?

Where in the US do you live?.....I love the US me and my family have been there all of 14 times lol 9 times to florida and the remaining times to California travelling from san fran to las vegas to LA to Arizona desert and all the rest lol Great times!

Thanks!!

Tim:D

Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 4:03am
Hi there! Im abit late here but I have to say, don't get a permanent color. I colored my hair black with permanent color and it will not fade away (at all). What you will end up with instead is a very visible outgrowth. Then if you decide that you want it removed you will have a long way to go. Trust me, i wish i would have used simi or demi permanent.. Even if the simi or demi isn't deepo black it will look more natural for you considering you have brown hair.. I have pale skin aswell and having deep black hair was fun for a while but not all the time...
Good luck, hope it turns out well what ever you decide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 5:00am

thanks For the Advice! Vicky:D

Your would'nt happen too know what what color depositing shampoo is?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 7:18am

Hey again Timothy...hehe u've been to CA, i live here in Orange County more specifically, lol! Ur so lucky to be in the UK i looove the weather there, no joke!

Anyway i color depositing shampoo is supposed to help preserve the color while depositing subtle tones into the hair, which is why its usually the same color as what would be on ur head. Anyway they sell them in conditioners too which is supposed to keep the color molecules from sliding of the hair i guess. Unfortunately I can't think of any particular one that would be availalbe in the UK tho i know there are so my suggestion is to search for one through froogle.co.uk and type in color depositing shampoo, which show some online stores that have them. Having been to Europe before i know of Boots, maybe u should check there. All in all if u can't find any u should get shampoo for color-treated hair and that should adequate.

Edited by Veronica F

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 8:22am

Thanks :D great advice again......you really know your stuff...

Yeah ill check at boots tomorrow. I'll ask them about some colour depositing shampoo and ill also buy some shampoo and conditioner for colour treated hair.

YOU LOVE THE WEATHER IN UK?

woahh lol your a first i can't wait to ge tout of the country the weather is depressing and miserable lol! how ever it has been pretty hot here lately highs of about 32 degrees C.

lol

Thanks again!

Tim :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 1:52pm

Heya guys.....Only one more question on  my black hair....

When i have redyed my hair now on top of the dye thats already left on my hair.....how much darker will it look....my hair currently has only had one wash since i dyed it and that was last night...i used the head and shoulders so some dye came out as that strips it....but if i use shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair how long will my hair take to fade for me to be able to notice it....this is when im using the special for coloured hair shampoos and condioners and also reyded over my hair.......

Also will my hair look less shiny when dyed over again?

If anybody wishes to post anymore info on here that could hellp me out please feel free to do so....it would be msot appreciated.....

Next time i'll post a reply is to keep you updated on whats happening. not that you really want to know:D lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 3:00pm

Hi its me (AGAIN!) lol...

I'll answer ur q's as best as i can in reverse order:

Will ur hair be less shiny? Well there shouldn't be any reason for it not to if ur just using semi a second time, therefore i don't believe that'll have an effect.

As far as fading, w/ the color treated shampoos and wht not, it shouldn't be too much esp. where u are (lucky enough to not have the sun shining in ur face lol, which greatly fades color!) Reds are usually the ones that fade the fastest...)

And the color will be a little darker than what it already is, but i can't how much more since i can't see ur hair lol...i'm guessing black black?

Lol well thats it i think. Oh and i have another tip: I suggest getting the blue black shade in Manic Panic or any of those "outrageous" temp. dyes and each time u shampoo add maybe a teaspoon or so of the dye w/ it then shampoo. Good luck!

Of course we are interested in knowing wht happened!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic