Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Katie Couric and Ann Curry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 7:22pm
      Hmmm...ssjockey! I don't know if there are many men *now* who watch Today, but I know there will soon be one less occasional viewer. (lol)
     This idea that women look more "serious" with  short hair is, pardon me, silly. I have ultimate respect for women who enjoy looking feminine, no matter their position. The majority of women, IMO, look *boring* with chronically short locks.
     The bottom line is if I respect someone, growing extra inches (or feet!) of hair will only enhance my admiration. (Esp. knowing there are people out there (mostly other women, of course) who insist that "professional" hair equals "shortish" hair.)  God bless those women who have the courage to reject the norm. Yes, that means you, Lara Logan, chief foreign correspondent of CBS!  Best, Bob

Edited by Bob S
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 9:36pm
Hmmm, I respect more those women who fight the false conception that you must have long hair to be feminine.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 6:35am
LOL it's not going to change that is good. Long lovers and short lovers. Good to see.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 12:52pm

This IS 2006, not 1906, and I'm always reading that women need only a few "playful wisps" or "volume" in their dreadfully short haircuts to look feminine. If today's women thought they needed length to retain femininty, 90% of those past 40 would eschew the short coifs they wear. What a lovelier world this would be if more women believed this "false conception", IMO. (LOL) Bob 

P.S. There's a bit of tongue in cheek in my response. I actually think *most* of today's short hairstyles look decent to pretty good on women. I DO think that, if anything, the majority of women have been sold the idea that they look *more* attractive and feminine with shorter locks, esp. after age 30. I don't believe that most guys agree. Bob 

Edited by Bob S
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 4:17pm
Bob I'm one that thinks 30 or over still look great with longer hair. Then short. Gee look at the topic we are talking about Ann is over 30 and looks good with long hair. She don't like it but she is sure nice to look at on TV.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:14am

Er, well, thus far I have refrained from contacting any celeb suggesting or insisting she do anything in particular with her hair, because I know that would be creepy.  I may openly show dislike for a celeb's hair choice on the boards, or talking to friends IRL, but contacting the celeb about it just seems to be crossing a line, to me.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable going there, and I'm surprised so many of the males on this board seem to think it's all right.

Originally posted by lhairfan31 lhairfan31 wrote:

Kuroneko,  just as you show your support for short hair on everyone, we show our support for long hair.  Writing Ann e-mails and letting her know we would wish she would keep her hair long doesn't make us stalkers. 

More awesome than a manatee!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:16am

Glad to know I displease you so, Bob!  Wouldn't wanna think I might arouse you in any way, shape, or form!

Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

The majority of women, IMO, look *boring* with chronically short locks. 

More awesome than a manatee!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:48pm
Wow, this seems to be a topic of some amount of interest... 

Where to start?

This is the overriding reason for the stunt:
Originally posted by Kramer Kramer wrote:

Ann and her network are conspiring to turn her haircut into a ratings bonanza. They're soliciting others to join in -- all for ratings.

A haircut done without the glare of the camera would suffice for purposes of the donation.  To create an event out of it, and even lasso others into the same action, is creating a circus environment.

To me, this is final proof that NBC News has lost it.  They are no longer a news organization.  Sure, they can cheaply collect information gathered by others and report it on air, and occasionally send token correspondants overseas for on-site reporting, but similar to CBS, ABC and Fox, they have dumped their investigation directive and now depend on stunts (such as this "event") purely in a drive for higher ratings (to enable payment of the bloated salaries of their anchors).

Over the course of the past decade, I've noticed a decline in the quality and depth of news reporting from NBC.  The other aforementioned "big media" outlets suffer the same condition, but not nearly to the extent of NBC's decline.  I have reduced the attention paid to NBC over the course of these years - to the point where I no longer watch (morning or evening, despite Ann's lovely long hair).

I think that a flood of emails (from any one person) directed to Ann pleading for her hair's preservation would probably be counterproductive.  In all likelihood, it would probably be seen as creepy.  One email per person politely stating that they like it as is probably would not be seen as creepy, but as someone (Rod?) has stated, Ann has already committed to doing it, and at this point I am certain that even if (hypothetically speaking) she had a change of heart, she will still go through with it.

Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

Did you know
that a charity only has to give out 5% of what they take in each year to be within Federal charitible guidelines?

If this is true, then they are clearly in violation of those guidelines, by their own admission.  They collect 3000 donations of hair per week, but less than 2% of it ends up in recipient hairpieces.

There have been formal complaints lodged against LoL, but none have been acted upon.  Also, their financial filings have been insufficient.  I know.  I have 4 years worth of them, and have studied them.  I'm trying to get more information, but I think my request for this info has been stalled (I'm guessing the group that handles this stuff is overwhelmed with work).

While they're at it, they should do something, anything, to either Campbell Brown or Natalie Morales. Not only have both had pretty much the same shoulder length brown hair forever, but they have almost the same cut. They are on the same show and I can't tell them apart! Even a small color change would be welcome.

Fair criticism was aimed at several folks here for being emotionally attached to Ann's long hair.  This comment about Campbell Brown and Natalie Morales seems about on par with their statements about Ann Curry.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Originally posted by loveshort&blonde loveshort&blonde wrote:

Hmmm, I respect more those women who fight the false conception that you must have long hair to be feminine.

I respect more those women who fight the false impression that you must have short hair to be taken seriously.

Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

Glad to know I displease you so, Bob!  Wouldn't wanna think I might arouse you in any way, shape, or form!

Bob S wrote:
       The majority of women, IMO, look *boring* with chronically short locks. 

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 12:20am
Dave, don't confuse "The Today Show" with NBC News. "Today" isn't news.
It's entertainment with some news. Makeovers and stunt events are
certainly nothing new on morning shows.

I doubt Ann wants people to watch based on her hairstyle. Repeated E-
mails aren't going to convince her not to cut it. As Dave says, it is creepy.

Dave, if LoL was "clearly" in violation of Federal charity regulations I'm
sure we would have read about it. What are the "formal" complaints about
LoL? Who have they been made to? Why hasn't the Federal government
acted upon them? Where did you get LoL's financials and what have you
discovered by studying them?

My comment about Campbell Brown and Natalie Morales isn't on par with
their statements about Ann Curry. My comment is that they look a lot
alike and I wish one would make a change. That isn't criticizing women
who cut their hair and sending E-mails. Nothing wrong with saying you
like Ann's hair longer. When you start believing your wishes should
supercede hers you've crossed the line.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 5:31am

You really think Campbell and Natalie look a lot alike? I don't think they even look like they could be related. Campbell always goes with the famous double ear tuck. Her bangs often look like they're too short or too long or too unkempt. She seems to cut her hair and then never keeps it up. Natalie usually looks like she has it together. Her hair is usually sleek and brushed looking.

"Typical" Campbell:

"Typical" Natalie:

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:51am

Personally, I feel that news anchors are a category of celebrities all to themselves. Perhaps, a sub-category?

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 12:14pm

Dave, don't confuse "The Today Show" with NBC News. "Today" isn't news. It's entertainment with some news. Makeovers and stunt events are certainly nothing new on morning shows.

Fair enough, although their "Dateline" show seems to devote 1 to 2 hours to the minutae of a singular story (with overemphasis on the emotional).

I doubt Ann wants people to watch based on her hairstyle. Repeated E-mails aren't going to convince her not to cut it. As Dave says, it is creepy.

uh huh.

Dave, if LoL was "clearly" in violation of Federal charity regulations I'm
sure we would have read about it. What are the "formal" complaints about LoL? Who have they been made to? Why hasn't the Federal government acted upon them? Where did you get LoL's financials and what have you discovered by studying them?

Being based in Florida, LoL is accountable to a Florida governmental agency, not to the Federal government.  This is the agency from which I received their financials several years ago.  I could guess that the agency is overwhelmed with more pressing matters (dealing with an enormous amount of 2004 & 2005 hurricane  damage issues), so complaints about LoL (and requests for recent information) would take a back seat.  I know that they have received formal complaints because I was told so by a representative of that agency.

My comment about Campbell Brown and Natalie Morales isn't on par with their statements about Ann Curry. My comment is that they look a lot alike and I wish one would make a change. That isn't criticizing women who cut their hair and sending E-mails. Nothing wrong with saying you like Ann's hair longer. When you start believing your wishes should supercede hers you've crossed the line.

It's kinda hard to figure out here where to delineate the generic you from the specific you (directed to me).  I will assume that you meant to imply the generic you throughout the excerpt.

I'm with Kramer on this point: I have absolutely no trouble differentiating between and identifying Campbell Brown and Natalie Morales.  Do some people (not "accusing" you, Rod) have difficulty differentiating between people who have similar hairstyles?  And I am also left to wonder: why must every single person in the world have a different, uniquely-identifying hairstyle?  To me, that mindset places an unreasonable demand upon others.

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:41pm
I meant the generic you. Natalie and Campbell look a little bit alike. I don't
watch "Today" enough to see them regularly, and they aren't always on it.
When one is on the show I'm not sure who it is until they say. I don't think I
implied everyone in the world needed to have a unique hairstyle. When two
people have the same job (fill-in host) on the same show, it would be easier
to tell who's who if they look different. I don't think either should change
(cut/grow/color) their hair for me personally, but it would make it easier to
tell them apart.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 5:00pm
Okay, I understand what you're saying Rod.

Do they look similar?  Perhaps.  Can I tell them apart?  Easily.  Even if their hair was even more alike ("identical" even).  I'm certainly not meaning to boast or make you feel badly (definitely not!).  I once read a message on a different board from a person who said that the are basically face-blind and use hair to differentiate between people they know.  I had never even considered the existence of such an affliction.
lhairfan31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhairfan31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 8:22am
    Ann back to wearing her hair down this morning.  Geez, time is running out and they won't give Ann any segments until looks like next week.  You would think their would be some interview they could throw in between all the hours of Olympic coverage.    My prediction,  Ann backs out and doesn't go through with it.    lol   My wish anyways. 
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 8:57am

Cherish days like this. Ann looked spectacular. You're dreaming, lhairfan31, if you think she's going to back out. Alas, Ann made a commitment to this moons ago and the promotion by NBC makes it impossible, even if she did like her hair long. Not that I'm looking forward to it...

Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 8:59am
Hey you are not the only one.
94harley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94harley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 12:23pm
A lot of fans will miss those long locks. Hopefully she'll give up just the 10 inches she has too.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 6:55am
Why do I have a feeling we might see more going. ALso I hope they show off her bangs I would like to know if they are one lenght or not.
lhairfan31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhairfan31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:35am
       I have a bad feeling also that she will probably go back to ultra short.   If she would keep it at shoulder-length, then that wouldn't be too bad.    One thing though,  If Ann goes back to really short hair, Katie then might grow hers back out some again like she did before.  I would doubt if the producers would want them both back to short hair.  Boooring     Lets hope not.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic