Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe Crisis of the Black Man

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Crisis of the Black Man
    Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:41am

Barack Obama wowed them with his speech during the Democratic National Convention. Not only is he likely to make history as only the third black U.S. senator elected since Reconstruction; pundits already are touting his presidential possibilities. With his probable electoral victory this November, Sen. Obama will join a number of African-American men who are making a real mark on American culture.

Obama's stage is politics. Black men are exerting their influence in every other nook and cranny of American life – cinema, athletics, media, medicine, theater. These are important milestones, but we can't let them obscure a more troubling assessment of black men's status.

It's an "emerging catastrophe," New York Times' columnist Bob Herbert wrote on July 19. And he's not alone in invoking such urgent language. Many experts are warning that black men are in the midst of a social crisis that Americans seem eager to ignore.

"Ignore" may be the wrong word. The media focus relentlessly on one aspect of this crisis: crime. But that focus is from the "if it bleeds, it leads," angle. The street crime that captures so much media attention is just the effect of a long list of causes. This crisis has many components – high unemployment, under education, poor healthcare, inadequate housing – that are not quite as media friendly.

Herbert's Times column highlighted a study by Andrew Sum, of Boston's Northeastern University, that found "by 2002, one of every four black men in the U.S. was idle all year long." And this unemployment rate of at least 25 percent did not include homeless men or those in jail or prison. "It is believed that up to 10 percent of the black male population under age 40 is incarcerated," Herbert writes. (I was unemployed for almost 2 years because no one wanted to hire me but they hired my less educated, less experience female counter part because she is a double minority)

That study had a national focus, but things are even worse in some urban centers. In Chicago, for example, the urgency of the situation prompted three Illinois Democrats – Reps. Danny K. Davis, Jesse L. Jackson Jr. and Bobby Rush – to convene a State of the African American Males Conference in June. In the press release announcing the success of the conference, organizers asked a number of questions:

Why are more than 50 percent of African-American males between the ages of 16 and 22 out of work and not in school single independent mothers if you are doing such a good job at being a father and mother?

Why are 87 percent of juvenile parolees African-American males if you are doing such a good job at being a father and mother?

Why are 60 percent of adult parolees African-American males if you are doing such a good job at being a father and mother?

Why have only 38 percent of black males graduated from Chicago high schools since 1995, while 62 percent have dropped out?"

Most of those numbers pertain to Illinois and Chicago, but also echo the statistics of other urban centers.

Earlier this year, the Community Service Society of New York released a report, "A Crisis in Black Male Employment," that found only 51.8 percent of black men between the ages of 16 through 64 were employed from 2000 to 2003.

But issues of criminal justice are perhaps the most troublesome aspects of this crisis. According to Justice Department figures, 12.9 percent of black males ages 25-29 were in prison or jail; for white men in the same age group the number is 1.6 percent. These racially disparate incarceration rates influence public perception of black men and debilitate other aspects of black community life.

The corrections complex occupies too much space in African-American culture and long has exerted disproportionate influence on the lives of young black people. Long lists of statistics detail the depths of this crisis, but just one – the U.S. Justice Department projects that 32 percent of African-American men born in 2001 will spend time in prison – is enough to reveal its debilitating effects. (Where are our so called single independent mother's who THINK they are our leaders?)

A flurry of research is unearthing the interlocking dimensions of this crisis. A study by Becky Pettit of the University of Washington and Bruce Western of Princeton University found that "fully 60 percent of African-American male high-school dropouts born between 1965 and 1969 had been incarcerated by the time they reached their early 30s." (See, "Prison in the Cards," Page 8)

Despite Obama's promise, conditions are worsening for far too many black men. Rep. Davis wrote President George W. Bush a letter urging him to establish a federal commission to analyze the dire plight of African-American males. "I urge you to take this step to bring national attention to a very serious problem and a great need," he wrote.

Davis supports Democrat John Kerry, who now has the national spotlight. Perhaps he should write Kerry a similar letter.

Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:02am
Again, why are Black MEN going to jail? Why are they being ignored while siblings in the same family advance and have more employment oppurtunities. Why?
Look to the skies and keep your eyes on the prize! I been through Hell but, STILL I RISE!
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:04am

And why do those who have advanced, ignore issues that affect their own brother, father, and even their own SON?????????

THECHOSEN1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:22am
i dont know why
waveing is mental a barrier u must over come

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 1:40pm
Can you say Willie Lynch!
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 1:55pm

This is what is stated in the dictionary>>>>>>>>

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.  2000.

lynch law

NOUN: The punishment of persons suspected of crime without due process of law.
ETYMOLOGY: After William Lynch (1742–1820).
WORD HISTORY: In the late 18th century, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, was troubled by criminals who could not be dealt with by the courts, which were too distant. This led to an agreement to punish such criminals without due process of law. Both the practice and the punishment came to be called lynch law after Captain William Lynch, who drew up a compact on September 22, 1780, with a group of his neighbors. Arguing that Pittsylvania had “sustained great and intolerable losses by a set of lawless men … that … have hitherto escaped the civil power with impunity,” they agreed to respond to reports of criminality in their neighborhood by “repair[ing] immediately to the person or persons suspected … and if they will not desist from their evil practices, we will inflict such corporeal punishment on him or them, as to us shall seem adequate to the crime committed or the damage sustained.” Although lynch law and lynching are mainly associated with hanging, other, less severe punishments were used. William Lynch died in 1820, and the inscription on his grave notes that “he followed virtue as his truest guide.” But the good captain, who had tried to justify vigilante justice, was sentenced to the disgrace of having given his name to the terrible practice of lynching.

Edited by BIGGMike
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 1:58pm

Don't forget you must pitch the old black VS. the young black males, and the young black male against the old black male. You must use the dark skinned slaves VS. the light skin slaves. You must use the female VS the male, and the male VS, the female. You must always have your servants and OVERSEERS (House Niggas) distrust all blacks, but it is necessary that your slaves trust and depend on us.

Sistaslick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 8:34pm

Why are more than 50 percent of African-American males between the ages of 16 and 22 out of work and not in school single independent mothers if you are doing such a good job at being a father and mother?

Why are 87 percent of juvenile parolees African-American males if you are doing such a good job at being a father and mother?

Why are 60 percent of adult parolees African-American males if you are doing such a good job at being a father and mother?

------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Why?  Because nothing can replace the fathers that walked away from the situation.  All a woman can do in that situation is the best she can.  If that is not enough  then those statistics are the price we all have to pay for a man walking away from his responsibility.  Raising a child takes two.  No matter how independent a woman is, nothing can fill the gap of the missing dad.  Nothing.  BiggMike I really don't think a woman can be blamed for those statistics.  I don't think it was her raising in and of itself that resulted in this, but rather the absence of the male.  That absence says alot more to a child than what the mother tried to do in spite of it.  Even in homes broken by divorce, it is a known fact that the absence of one parent has a profound effect of on the children.  Just my humble 2 and a half cents

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 5:16am

I agree with Sistaslick...women are getting all the blame. There are single fathers as well and what are the statistics on those. I'm guessing since they are saying sarcasticaly that the mother is such a great "father or mother" that the father is a great mother and father.  Whatever.

I don't know why some siblings have more success than others...did you ask them. Who is to say that they did not care or was not concerned with why? I don't think it has to do with the parents, I think it has to do with freedom of choice and individuality, you can't make someone do what they dont want to do.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 2:57pm

Why?????? Women are the nutures of life.

THE BREAKING PROCESS OF THE AFRICAN WOMAN Take the female and run a series of tests on her to see if she will submit to you desires willingly. Test her in every way, because she is the most important factor for good economic. If she shows any signs of resistance in submitting completely to your will, do not hesitate to use the bull whip on her to extract that last bit of bitch out of her. Take care not to kill her, for in doing so, you spoil good economics. When in complete submission, she will train her offsprings in the early years to submit to labor when they become of age. Understanding is the best thing. (she will teach her female offsprings to hate the male and she will not submit to him as she should BY NATURE)

Therefore, we shall go deeper into this area of the subject matter concerning what we have produced here in this breaking of the female nigger. We have reversed the relationship. In her natural uncivilized state she would have a strong dependency on the uncivilized nigger male, and she would have a limited protective dependency toward her independent male offspring and would raise female offspring to be dependent like her. Nature had provided for this type of balance. We reversed nature by burning and dependent like her. Nature had provided for this type of balance. We reversed nature by burning and pulling one civilized nigger apart and bull whipping the other to the point of death--all in her presence. By her being left alone, unprotected, with male image destroyed, the ordeal cased her to move from her psychological dependent state to a frozen independent state. In this frozen psychological state of independence she will raise her male and female offspring in reversed roles. For fear of the YOUNG MALE'S life she will psychologically train him to be mentally weak and dependent but physically strong. Because she has become psychologically independent, she will train her female offspring to be psychological independent as well. What have you got? You've got the nigger woman out front and the nigger man behind and scared. This is perfect situation for sound sleep and economics. Before the breaking process, we had to be alert and on guard at all times. Now we can sleep soundly, for out of frozen fear, his woman stand guard for us. He cannot get past her early infant slave molding process. He is good tool, now ready to be tied to the horse at a tender age. By the time a nigger boy reaches the age of sixteen, he is soundly broken in and ready for a long life of sound and efficient work and the reproduction of a unit of good labor force.

Continually, through the breaking of uncivilized savage niggers, by throwing the nigger female savage into a frozen psychological state of independency, by killing the protective male image, and by creating a submissive dependent mind of the nigger male slave, we have created an orbiting cycle that turns on its own axis forever, unless a phenomenon occurs and re shifts the positions of the male and female savages. We show what we mean by example. We breed two nigger males with two nigger females. Then we take the nigger males away from them and keep them moving and working. Say the nigger female bear a nigger female and the other bears a nigger male. both nigger females, being without influence of the nigger male image, frozen with an independent psychology, will raise him to be mentally dependent and weak, but physically strong...in other words, body over mind. We will mate and breed them and continue the cycle. That is good, sound, and long range comprehensive planning.

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 2:59pm

And also because Black women follow white women like house niggas, not like Black men who tell White Men and White women to go to hell with all that Eurocentric foolishness.

So who really follows and who really leads?

If our so called Independent women where so independent, they would not follow White women like a flock of birds. It's true!

Who bleaches their skin to look like white women?

Who Straightens their hair to look white?

Who hates their own African Culture more than a Black woman?

Who raises African American own boys to be weak minded men and teach their daughter to hate males?

Who continue to cry about childsupport when they know Black men are at a greater disadvantage than them?

Who has more freedom than Black Men but does nothing but go shopping for fake hair to look more like white women?

Who files for divorce and deny the fathers access to their children more than any other woman in the world?

Who raise homos and lesbians in their home let them dress and act like fatherless bastards in school and in public but claim to be doing a good job?

Who refuses to accept that there are more women than men and that there is more competion for men than there is for women?

Who refuses to see that the same people they follow is destroying their MEN with discrimination and gender bias?

Who FIGHTS TO KEEP OUR AFRICAN CULTURE ALIVE WHILE THE OTHER SELLS IT OUT BY REFUSING TO SUBMIT AND FOLLOW THE REAL LEADERS?

COULD IT BE THE FEMALE HOUSE NIGGA WHO THEY HAVE BROKEN LIKE A SLAVE.  DEGREE OR NO DEGREE, JOB OR NO JOB, WEAVE OR NO WEAVE, BLEACHED OUT SKIN OR JET BLACK SKIN. UNTIL OUR BLACK WOMEN LEARN TO STOP FOLLOWING WHITE PEOPLE AND LEARN TO BE TRUE AND LOYAL TO THEIR OWN MEN AND OWN CULTURE......................... CAUSE REAL MEN DON'T FOLLOW THEY LEAD. GET YOU A REAL MAN.

Edited by BIGGMike
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 3:11pm

Originally posted by BIGGMike BIGGMike wrote:

And also becasue Black women follow white women like house niggas, not like Black men who tell White Men and White women to go to hell with all that Eurocentric foolishness.

Exscuse me!  Black Mean fall into Eurocentric standards jsut as much as anyone else in the world.

I'm not even going to continue.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Debbie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 4:03pm

I donot see anyone following anyone!  And I for one resent the comments that are made on here!  What does this have to do with hair?  Just wondering! Debbie

There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 4:25pm

Not me. or any sista in my vicinity

Not me.  I love the way I look.  And since when did straight hair become for whites only?   Man you give them waaaaay too much credit.  So its wrong to change up your look?  What about y'all and those waves... I've enver seen Africans roaming around with waves flat on their head.  are y'all trying to be Samoan or some other race with waves that lay down?  If you really want to be "as black as black can be" just let it grow up and out like nature intended.! Come on now Bigg Mike are you fa real? I guess growing out your hair long is considered "being white" too b/c we are supposed to be stuck with short, broken off hair riiiiight?

Who hates their own African Culture more than a Black woman?

???? what ????  generalizations like these don't help the discussion along

Who raises African American own boys to be weak minded men and teach their daughter to hate males?

Not me.  I'm not man hating.  My mother didn't teach me to be man hating.  If I did become a man hater it would probably be because of the father who walked out on us when I was 11.  But I don't hate him or any other black man.  I have a son and his father and I are teaching him to be strong.  We are teaching our daughter to have the same strength.  Teaching weakness and submission to either gender is just plain wrong in my opinion.  The US consititution doesn't say All men are created equal except women who should be dependent and lag somewhere behind.  I am alll for the strong black man, but having a strong black man does not nessecitate having a weak black woman.  Are you saying he can only be strong in our weakness and that our strength somehow diminishes him?

Who continue to cry about childsupport when they know Black men are at a greater disadvantage than them?

There would be no need for childsupport if families would stay together.  And since it is 9 times out of 10 the man walking away from the family unit what do you want her to do?  You want a woman to be dependent, but dependent on what- the men who ran away? 

Who has more freedom than Black Men but does nothing but go shopping for fake hair to look more like white women?

Ummm... I'm not a weave wearer so we'll leave that one alone.

Who files for divorce and deny the fathers access to their children more than any other woman in the world?

Where are you getting these facts from?  Are they facts?  I would never deny my husband (well ex if we were divorced) to right to see his children. 

Who raise homos and lesbians in their home let them dress and act like fatherless bastards in school and in public but claim to be doing a good job?

Boy, you have it out for us don't ya? Where did you see this becoming an epidemic. 

Who refuses to accept that there are more women than men and that there is more competion for men than there is for women?

I can accept that.  I'm married so its of no consequence to me now.

Who refuses to see that the same people they follow is destroying their MEN with discrimination and gender bias?

I don't follow anyone.  I do what I want to do when I want to do it.  thats why I dont' understand what the big issue is here.  Why can't men and women stop pointing fingers and singing woe is me and stand up and DO SOMETHING.  Stop saying-- he's keeping us down...they are discriminating... its not right...its not fair... STAND UP and take responsibility for you and your family.  Do right by you and your family and no one- regardless of their race or the power you give them in your mind can stop you.  You are empowering them by sitting around trying to figure out who to blame next.  If things aren't going right in my life, I place the blame on ME.  I don't say... well I was born black, my dad walked out on me, my mom didn't know how to raise me... stop being the victim.  That is what I look for in a man-- is he strong?  It is easy to play victim.  we all can play victim.  Its time to stand up and move on. 

CAUSE REAL MEN DON'T FOLLOW THEY LEAD. GET YOU A REAL MAN.

I agree.  and I do have a man.  A good man.  A rare man.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 4:26pm
dang that was a long post
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 4:32pm

I don't know about that.

Who's feared more, Black MEN or Black women?

White people accept Black women more because Black women accept Eurocentric Ideology more.

I think Black MEN are feared more because we are reject it the most. That's why we also reject Eurocentric ideology more too. Maybe if we were respected and our own culture accepted more, we MIGHT be more willing to accept Eurocentric culture more.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 4:40pm
you really have some pretty interesting views BiggMike though I am having a hard time with some of them-- but I guess its nice hearing from a man with convictions. You are really concerned and that is refreshing to see.
BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 8:16pm

Thank you, I care about Young Black men more than their own mothers do!

Sister you have to understand, Black women have more power and more freedom than Black Men. They have this freedom because white people know they will not do anything about racism like Black MEN will. They know Black women will only look out for themselves and not Black MEN. They give them freedom and Black women go shopping or attacking Black men for not having the same freedom. This does not help our race and culture, it destroys it.  This is a Fact. 

So before Black women go for my throat, they need to ask themselves........

Do I do everything in MY POWER with the Freedom that white people give me, to make sure my fatherless children know their own African Culture?

Do I teach my daughters to be so independent that she does NOT have the qualities of a good mother and a good wife?

Do I teach my fatherless sons anything other than self hatred and homosexual bahaviors by showing them that my female independence is more important than submitting my self to a man and learning how to follow them LIKE THE HOLY BIBLE, ISLAM, and PRETTY MUCH THE LARGE MAJORITY OF RELIGIONS SAY FOR ME TO DO?

Do I compete with my childrens father and everybody elses father for EMPLOYMENT that they can have but don't because my independence is more important than keeping families together?

Do I have any African pride or do I just say that I do so I can appear to be a Real African Queen in front of other Black people, but behind close doors I sell out every chance I get?

Above all, am I really marriage material or is my career and degrees more important? I think the degrees and careers are more important.

Why Biggmike?

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Sistaslick Sistaslick wrote:

Not me. or any sista in my vicinity

Wrong, America is full of Black Women with Bleached out skin. Turn on a TV or just go to White Corporate America, they are there and getting paid for their willingness to sell out and follow.

BIGGMike View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Sistaslick Sistaslick wrote:

Not me.  I love the way I look.  And since when did straight hair become for whites only?   Man you give them waaaaay too much credit.  So its wrong to change up your look?  What about y'all and those waves... I've enver seen Africans roaming around with waves flat on their head.  are y'all trying to be Samoan or some other race with waves that lay down?  If you really want to be "as black as black can be" just let it grow up and out like nature intended.! Come on now Bigg Mike are you fa real? I guess growing out your hair long is considered "being white" too b/c we are supposed to be stuck with short, broken off hair riiiiight?

I never said you had those qualities, you assumed I was talking about you. I'm talking about Black women who have no African Pride. If the shoe fits........

There is nothing wrong with letting your hair grow out are having waves. Black men do not have to Perm, Iron, or put any chemicals in their hair to have waves. Waves come natural for many Black men like my self. All I have to do is brush. Black women put conks (perms) in their hair to give it that white look. This is why so many of the sisters are bald-headed under those horse tail weaves. They try waaaaay to hard to cross over and Black men do not like this. Some Black women do have naturally straight hair, but most do not. Asians make millions of dollars each year from sister want to cross over. Slave mentality. That's a Fact!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic