Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stylists supportive of long hair, or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by summer*22* summer*22* wrote:

I think they just have a business to run and do what is necessary to keep customers coming back.

true.. i don't want to be harsh on them, i do understand that it's probably their source of income... some of them, though, are dishonest and will say anything just for the money... that i do not like at all
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 1:53am

My usual hairdresser has waist length hair and is always drawing attention to it by throwing it over her shoulder, wrapping it around her neck etc.  She was the one who encouraged me to grow out a short layered style and I'm really pleased about that. 

BUT  I never see anyone in her salon with hair much longer than shoulder length.  When mine reached that length she started to make comments about it needing more shape.  I'm still trying to grow out disgusting hair dye, so am carrying on with trims.  But when the dye has all gone, I'm going to grow it a few more inches. 

Another girl did my hair recently because my usual hairdresser was away.  She was excellent and put a lot of effort into it.  However, her own hair was short.  When I mentioned long hair, she was VERY forthright about how she doesn't think it looks good on people.

I think there is a lot of truth in what people say about hairdressers protecting their income.  Mine wasn't happy when I stopped having it dyed and made lots of comments that would have swayed a lot of women into using dye again.  She's given up now though!

Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 6:38am
I'm hoping to be done with a stylist. I know if I need something my
sister-in-law (who does hair) can take care of me

I'm working on growing out bangs and getting rid of years and years of
color. I'm starting with Tea Tree shampoo. I asked my sister-in-law
about stripping the color. She went to Mally's and asked the pros and
cons for doing that to my hair. The cons out weighed the pros. So for
now I have to be really patient
Impaler Vlad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Sugarloaf Sugarloaf wrote:

Another girl did my hair recently.  However, her own hair was short.  When I mentioned long hair, she was VERY forthright about how she doesn't think it looks good on people.

BOOO! She's wrong! Pls Tell her short hair is the ultimate proof of bad taste. Not only for women, but for men, too!

Blessed be and keep your hair long,
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:04pm

My usual hairdresser has waist length hair and is always drawing attention to it by throwing it over her shoulder, wrapping it around her neck etc.  She was the one who encouraged me to grow out a short layered style and I'm really pleased about that. 

BUT  I never see anyone in her salon with hair much longer than shoulder length.  When mine reached that length she started to make comments about it needing more shape.

Well, doesn't that say a lot?  If she really believed what she said, why would she have waist-length hair?

Another girl did my hair recently because my usual hairdresser was away.  She was excellent and put a lot of effort into it.  However, her own hair was short.  When I mentioned long hair, she was VERY forthright about how she doesn't think it looks good on people.

Well, doesn't that say a lot, too?  Seems she believes her customers ought to bend their will to hers.  Whose wishes are being served here?

Originally posted by Impaler Vlad Impaler Vlad wrote:

BOOO! She's wrong! Pls Tell her short hair is the ultimate proof of bad taste. Not only for women, but for men, too!

So you dislike short hair intensely, fine, but your "ultimate proof of bad taste?" comment is over the top.  I don't think that'll win you many fans, even here.

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 10:05pm
Agree with Dave....just because we all love long hair here, it doesn't mean that others who choose to have short hair have bad taste. I appreciate and admire some short hair styles, it's just not something I want for myself.  Everyone has the freedom to choose

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 6:45am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

So you dislike short hair intensely, fine, but your "ultimate proof of
bad taste?" comment is over the top.  I don't think that'll win
you many fans, even here.

What about the freedom of speech? Have U forgot the First Amendment? If a short hair lover is entitled to be forthright, so is a short hair hater! I am sure a lot of people will hate me for my beliefs, but I'm allready used to it - I stoped caring about it decades ago... I also strongly belive long haired persons are entitled to resist BY ALL MEANS to ANY form of 'cut-your-hair' social pressures. BTW, 'Short hair is the ultimate proof of bad taste' is one of my favorite answers to 'U'd look so much better with short hair'. The other one is: 'Definetly wrong - U are the one who should grow Ur hair long'. I know it doesn't make me very popular, but I also know I AM RIGHT.
This kind of pressures are threats against my personal freedom. Not only mine, actually. ALL long-haired persons, male and female, are subjected to pressures of this kind. (Check Melantha's post on the 'Hair Politics' board.) Why should we be tolerant with long hair haters, when they are not tolerant to us? And correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS the Long Hair Support board, not the Short Hair Support one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 8:50am
Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

Everyone has the freedom to choose

PLS tell that to the hairdresser who said long hair doesn't look good on anyone... I was just striking back.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 10:34pm
OK OK...don't get excited IV, we're just trying to keep some negativity out of this forum.  We all come here to share information and experiences and to have fun and make friends. Once it becomes "not fun", then it's not worth doing anymore.

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 1:20am

Impaler Vlad - maybe you're having a bad day? You've seemed so positive in the past. I agree with Rini and Dave, this forum is a long hair board, but we try to be supportive and positive of everyone's choices and encourage folks in a friendly way. When you say you're right, you're kind of closing the door to people who may have different opionions and hair choices. Judging people for having short hair is the same as judging people for other reasons like their education level, the color of their skin, or their taste in music. We are all different, and as you like to say "blessed be" our differences.

lhairfan31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhairfan31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 7:21am
      I have to say it seems alot of stylists do get scissor happy, like they get paid by the hair they cut or something.  lol    Also these makeover shows that are on tv, it definitely shows stylists are told to cut as much hair as possible for ratings and exposure to their salons.   I do feel stylists are not very supportive of long hair at all.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 10:40am
Well ladies, it seems some expaining is necessary...

Your ladyships probably remember I admitted when I introduced myself that 'I-Hate-Short-Hair' could be my middle name (my hatred for short hair emerged when I was 3 years old, and I only gainned the control over the way I look when I turned 16). When I red about a hairdresser who asserted long hair doesn't look good on people, I felt outraged. BTW, THANK YOU lhairfan31 for backing me up! Scissor happy hairdressers allways give me bad days & bad moods (that's why I never went to a hairdresser or barber in almost two decades!)... To be entirely honest, I also must admit my boss had a bad hair day - actually, a 'bad-my-hair-day' and, some hours before reading that post, he lectured me about the 'company dress code'(something that, IMO, worth less than a farthing!). When I replied he should try to grow his hair long, he remained speechless... I also reminded him about this barrister friend o'mine (a metalhead barrister IS a must-see!!!!!), so he eventually got to the conclusion it would be much better for'im to drop it dead... (Guess the raise I need turned SF, but wadda heck!)
And when it comes to choices, I simply hate when someone wants to change mine. Especially when it's about hair choices. Besides, my very first post on this forum was on the 'Hair Politics' board (I replied at the 'Long Hair Slows the Brain' thread - something about forced haicuts, now legally imposed in North Korea), and I made it (after 4 or 5 years of browsing this website!) when I was in great anger
- just like I was on Thursday the 13th, after reading that post...

I am really sorry if I gave you a bad day, but there are some some attitudes (still refering to that hairdresser) I simply cannort accept...
------------------------

'I am what I am and I belong to nobody but myself' (Omar Khayyam)
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 3:14pm

I love my stylist! She does only what I ask her to do to my hair, and usually cuts LESS than I expect to have cut (She truly TRIMS hair, not CUT it). She even GIVES ME some of her products to use if she thinks it will benefit my hair. For instance, I was clueless about "heat protectants" for blow-drying my hair. She said that I really needed it, and gave me enough for 3-4 blow dries to last until I bought my own heat protectant. And her brand cost 13.00 a bottle. I don't blow dry often, so I still have some.

She will also tell me what NOT to get if I want something that won't agree with my end goals. For instance, I was thinking about having my hair dyed light/ash brown. My hair is jet black. She told me that to have my hair lightened at all will require a booster that's usually some kind of bleach, and it will be very dry and brittle when it's longer. I thought about having my hair cut blunt: she showed me where my shortest layer was and said that I would have to cut off everything below it, and asked me if I was sure I wanted that much cut (I didn't). She then told me that layers were best for my hair because it's very thick and heavy, and the layers lightened it enough to not be overwhelming... she knows that I'm not crazy about having heavy hair on my neck much in the summertime.

Of course, I live in Atlanta, and there are 2 salons in nearly every mall, and maybe 4 or 5 salons in my neighborhood alone. She knows that if she screws my hair up, it would be way too easy to find another one soon. I found her by walking into her salon, and could just as easily walk into someone else's salon.

She's so good that I've decided to get a wash/deep-condition/trim every other month or so for a couple of months to see if it will help my hair growth. I know she uses quality products, because the products I see her use are ones I've researched myself (and didn't get because of the cost).

She does multi-ethnic hair: trims, conditions, perms, relaxers, texturizers, color, cuts. So if anyone wants to know how to get in touch with her, let me know.

My only complaint is that she's 30 minutes away. But she's good enough that I would rather go to her than to the salon just across the street.

Edited by Renata22
Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Impaler Vlad Impaler Vlad wrote:

What about the freedom of speech? Have U forgot the First Amendment? If a short hair lover is entitled to be forthright, so is a short hair hater! I am sure a lot of people will hate me for my beliefs, but I'm allready used to it - I stoped caring about it decades ago... I also strongly belive long haired persons are entitled to resist BY ALL MEANS to ANY form of 'cut-your-hair' social pressures. BTW, 'Short hair is the ultimate proof of bad taste' is one of my favorite answers to 'U'd look so much better with short hair'. The other one is: 'Definetly wrong - U are the one who should grow Ur hair long'. I know it doesn't make me very popular, but I also know I AM RIGHT.
This kind of pressures are threats against my personal freedom. Not only mine, actually. ALL long-haired persons, male and female, are subjected to pressures of this kind. (Check Melantha's post on the 'Hair Politics' board.) Why should we be tolerant with long hair haters, when they are not tolerant to us? And correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS the Long Hair Support board, not the Short Hair Support one.

You've completely missed the point.  Nobody has outlawed your freedom of speech.

If you are confronted by people who challenge you on your long hair, you are certainly welcome to reply to them in whatever manner you see fit.  As they will have expressed an irrational criticism of your hair, equal turnabout is only fair, I guess.

You also mistakenly believe that lhairfan31 was supporting you.  lhairfan31 was commenting directly on the topic, expressing their feeling that stylists are not supportive of long hair.

I might humbly suggest that you learn to channel your frustration in a more effective manner.  Don't you think there's something wrong when people who could/should be your LH supporters are questioning your tactics?  Think about it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 9:04am
Is lecturing people    the only way U can feel a better person, Dave?

FAREWELL
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 11:52am
As a moderator on the board, Dave has a duty to try and keep things peaceful and not let people get away with unfair or offensive comments. I'm sorry that this has flared up so much as I thought that you were a  nice (such an insipid word but the best I can think of this time) guy. You can hate short hair but most people on here hate it when people criticise their descision to have long hair. You certainly hate it so what gives you the right to decide that you are right and criticise all people who choose to keep their hair short?

To retutrn to the original topic, I believe it depends on the stylist but economically, short hair is much better for them.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 9:11pm

Insulting Dave reveals what type of person you truly are IV....I won't be sorry to see you go.

And Dave....

lhairfan31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhairfan31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 8:37am
 Absolutely, no room on here for criticism.    Dave is a tremendous guy and Missrini is awesome!!    
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 11:29am
We love you Dave  
3a C/M ii 35"(21/03/06)dark red

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 6:12pm
Rini, lhairfan, PG -- Aww, thanks for the compliment and support, guys!  

Good luck and good fortune to you, ImpalerVlad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic