Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stylists supportive of long hair, or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 10:11am
Dave

Is that ur photo of hair. My goodness it is gorgeous. it is really good. I have a length of around 32 inches. But still what u have is gorgeous.

I really love u

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:11pm
Yep, that's my hair.   Thank you for your compliment.
vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 12:58pm
Hai dave

Nice to interact in this forum. I would again like to complement u for your hair. Iam sure it is difficult to see a male with a long and beautiful hair. U r a great source of inspiration for men like me with long hair. I live in a country where there are little takers for long hair for men .

How do you manage the passes and comments in ? i find it difficult

Also please suggest on some plait/bun styles for me
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Yep, that's my hair.   Thank you for your compliment.

Dave if you ever decide to cut it and I'm not trying to encourage you here but......go for the World's Record MULLET
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 2:31pm
Claude - I've seen a few women who have similarly long hair but with short layers on top.  Not a look I'm particularly fond of, but to each their own.
auramae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auramae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 11:30am
I just found this forum today and have only read this topic, so forgive me if my post encompasses issues discussed elsewhere.

I am a hairdresser (of almost 20 years) and salon owner.  I have plenty of opinions about long hair.  (In fact I have so many opinions in genereal that I wrote a book!)

Here goes: 

As an artist, I want to do work that is attractive.  Some long hair is prettier than others.  I love to do formal hairdressing on pretty long hair.  But if the hair is trashed (due to outside influence or just because you weren't blessed) it is harder to make it look pretty.

I have fine, crappy hair that starts to disintegrate at about bra-strap length.   When it gets that long, it clings to my face and I look like Morticia Addams. I am a chubby girl, and most people agree that the look is unattractive.  For me, long hair is anything past my shoulders.  For my clients, it can be down to the floor for all I care, as long as it is pretty!

I have a male client with a waist-length mullet.  He comes in every 8 weeks. 

I have female clients with waist length hair and because the hair fills up the shampoo bowl, it becomes tangled, then I have to spend a long time detangling it, before I even get to it with the shears.  (To me a "cut" and  a "trim" are the same thing.  I open and close my shears: that's what I call a haircut.)

To avoid this dillema, most of my longest haired clients come in with freshly-washed, still damp hair.  I can spray more water if I need to get an even result, and they are spared the drama of the shampoo bowl.  Also, if I can spend less time on their hair, they can spend less money. (Shampoo, cut and dry: $50.  Dry cut: $25) Win-Win.

I do have the clients stand, (feet comfortably apart, hands on the back of the chair) while I cut.  Otherwise I would have to sit on the floor. (And do you have any idea how filthy that floor is?!)

I like to trim the visible split ends that pop out in the interior of the hair as well as keeping the perimeter clean and even.

I suggest that clients who want to increase the length of their hair return for to the salon 4 times a year. (Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall)  Mostly because they can remember what season it is better that how many weeks ago they visited the salon.

Also, those of you who are boycotting the salon are missing out on what we call "Hairapy".  The feeling of community and support that comes when a group of people come together to make one another feel better about how they look and about life in general.  The salon is a great place to talk out the troubles in your life.  Having a battle with your tween-aged daughter about what clothes are appropriate?  Chances are someone else in the salon (client or staff) has been through it and has some advice.

When polled, people worldwide comment that what they enjoy most about the visit to the salon has very little to do with the actual hair services they pay for. They appreciate the intangibles.  The banter, the music, the people, the experience.  If you are riddled with anxiety, you are missing out on these things!

To pick a salon that is a good match for you, go visit some.  Pop in and look at the products they sell, and scope out the people working and visiting.  Does the salon look like "your kind of place?"  Talk to the receptionist (if available) or a hairdresser and ask them if one person in the salon has more long-haired clients than the others.  Get a feel for the hairdressers as people.  If you get along with them and feel comfortable, then you should be less anxious when you go in, and more likely to develop a relationship with someone who understands your needs.

Most hairdressers with more than 10 years experience have enough clients to keep them comfortably busy.  They don't need to push you to come in more often than you need.  Their chairs are filled with high-maintenance color clients on a 3-6 week rotation.  They are the bread and butter clients.  You are the garnish!

Edited by auramae - July 12 2006 at 8:11pm
Get Some Hairapy - a hairdresser's prescription for happiness
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 5:19am
Originally posted by auramae auramae wrote:

I suggest that clients who want to increase the length of their hair return for to the salon 4 times a year. (Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall)  Mostly because they can remember what season it is better that how many weeks ago they visited the salon.

Also, those of you who are boycotting the salon are missing out on what we call "Hairapy".  The feeling of community and support that comes when a group of people come together to make one another feel better about how they look and about life in general.  The salon is a great place to talk out the troubles in your life.  Having a battle with your tween-aged daughter about what clothes are appropriate?  Chances are someone else in the salon (client or staff) has been through it and has some advice.

When polled, people worldwide comment that what they enjoy most about the visit to the salon has very little to do with the actual hair services they pay for. They appreciate the intangibles.  The banter, the music, the people, the experience.  If you are riddled with anxiety, you are missing out on these things!

Firstly, I just want to say "welcome"  and thank you for taking the time to post that response.

The reason I have put part of your post above is because I just want to comment on a couple of things. 

Firstly, can you explain why you would suggest clients come in for a trim 4 times a year if they want to increase the length of their hair?  If a client's hair is in good condition, no splits, with an even hemline (if that is the look they are going for), then surely once a year or less would suffice?  Also, if you are removing less length, then the client will see a greater gain in length for that year.

Secondly, I have never had better "hairapy" than what I get from hanging out on my favourite hair boards.  I have made some wonderful friends and we talk about all sorts of things: kids, beauty, natural health, religion, politics, alternative lifestyles....oh...and sometimes hair!   I don't feel as if I am missing out on anything.

Again, welcome and it will be great to hear your perspective as a stylist on some of our topics

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
auramae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auramae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 8:25am
missrini,

I suppose it is possible for a person to have hair in good condition, with no splits and an even hemline for more than a year, but I have not myself observed that. 

I read more of this forum yesterday after my post and I'm sure I don't  have to tell you that the average person in today's society is not following the guidelines suggested.  (Hell, I can't even convince some people that if your hair isn't dirty, it doesn't need to be routinely washed!)

Certainly if a person is not causing any thermal or physical stress to their hair, they would experience fewer split ends, etc.  (Assuming, of course that we are not talking about someone with inherently weak hair.)

Is there a place on the site that discusses the hair growth cycle of growth, rest & shed?  That can play a huge role in the possible length your hair can attain.  Some people's growth phase is considerably longer than others.  The current belief is still that average hair growth is 1/2 a month.  I am sure you all have known people well under and well over that average.  I know people that it takes 12 weeks to get a half an inch of new growth at the scalp.

Also, I assume that somewhere on the forum is a thorough discussion of "henna" with lots of info about the different ways that term is marketed and the possible downside of some "henna" products.

The biggest challenge to hair growth that I see in the real world of the 21st century is the impact stress and poor diet have on our overall health.  Any nutients ingested go first to critical functions (like heart, brain & lungs) and what ever is left can be distributed among the other body functions.  Hair, skin and nails are at the bottom of the totem pole.

I am glad that you experience a feeling of community with this forum and I hope that your physical world is also filled with loving, supportive folk. 
We are tribal by nature and everyone deserves to feel that they belong somewhere!

Have a magnificent summer!

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 2:28pm
Hello Auramae, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and your perspective as a hair stylist.

I'd like to know about the book you wrote.  If you prefer not to publicize its title, might you be willing to PM me with that info?

Regarding the concept of "hairapy" I agree that it can be received within friendly confines, be it a supportive salon and stylists, as well as within talk forums on the www.  IMO, both together can be better than either one alone.  Unfortunately, I think many people have been frightened away due to bad experiences.  For some people, it only takes one unpleasant visit, and then all salons have lost a customer for the life of the customer.

To pick a salon that is a good match for you, go visit some.  Pop in and look at the products they sell, and scope out the people working and visiting.  Does the salon look like "your kind of place?"

Meaning no disrespect, but almost every salon that I've ever seen does not look like "my" kind of place.  Oversized photos of professional models with short cuts, clippings on the floor, short hair magazines in the waiting area, and clients with only short hair, do not an inviting salon make (to me, anyway).  I have been to a few salons that specialize in long hair, and the mere existence of other long-haired clients sure makes them feel more like "my" kind of place.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
auramae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auramae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 3:19pm
As for "your type of salon", I am inclined to think that most of you would be most comfortable in a smaller, more intimate salon where people are individuals than in a large "hip" salon where everyone is sheep-like in their sameness. 

The bottom line is this: hair is a personal expression of who you are and how you want the world to perceive you.  If a client wants a hairstyle that I think would be unattractive on them, I explain why and make alternate suggestions.  If they REALLY want it and it won't cause undo damage to the hair, then I do what I am told.  (I won't do chemical work that will compromise the hair, no matter how much someone wants it.  I like to sleep nights and can't do that if I am busy praying that the client's hair stays connected to their head!)

If we all looked aike, the world would be a terribly boring (and possibly frightful) place!

Vive la differance!

Edited by Karen Shelton - July 15 2006 at 4:29pm
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Meaning no disrespect, but almost every salon that I've ever seen does not look like "my" kind of place.  Oversized photos of professional models with short cuts, clippings on the floor, short hair magazines in the waiting area, and clients with only short hair, do not an inviting salon make (to me, anyway).

All I can say is......BINGO!  I never put that thought into words, but that's exactly it for me.  Although many in the short hair forum would vehemently disagree, most salons have a "You need a short haircut" look to them.  As you said, hair on the floor, almost everyone has a short haircut, the posters of the latest short hair trend, and lots of magazines for you to choose a new short haircut.

That's great for some people, and they feel comfortable.  But as someone who doesn't want short hair, you almost feel like you're walking into a public restroom for someone of the opposite sex -- very, very uncomfortable!  (Okay, yes, I admit that I once did it by mistake and nearly died of embarrassment)

My hair length is a small fraction of Dave's.  If I'm uncomfortable there, I can't imagine what kind of feelings someone with much long hair would get.  There is one situation that happened several years ago that I'll never forget.  I was getting my hair trimmed in a salon and a woman with much longer hair walked in.  The stylists all kind of hungrily looked over and one said, "Well now, what do we have here?!"  Someone else said, "I'd really love to get my scissors on that head of hair."  My hair was medium-long, about bra length, and I just cringed and wanted to run out of the place.

I've never been to a salon that catered to people with long hair or those wanting to grow it longer, but it sounds like a complete change from the mainstream!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:36pm
Hi,

I agree with Dave and Anne.  Ironically, the safest place I have felt with my (to the very tip top of my thighs) length hair is at a recent photo shoot with my friend - celeb hairdresser Ken Paves.  There were other celeb hairdressers there but he cut them off at the pass and immediately complimented my hair to them (and he is their boss).  He said...doesn't she have gorgeous long hair?  I had been a little nervous because I knew that there would be several hairdressers at the shoot and I was worried with all the hair flying that someone might try and pressure me to check out some scissors.  In fact, the producer of the shoot had bra strap hair and they surrounded her and started sniping away.  It turned out that she had hair extensions...so no harm...no foul.

Because I am so uncomfortable in traditional salons (at the last one I went to two of the hairdressers harrassed me about my hair for a number of reasons) that I have a hairdresser come to HairBoutique.com to trim my ends.  She is long hair friendly and never hassles me.  She cuts my hair at my desk.  :-)  Yes I am spoiled but I want to protect my hair.

Edited by Karen Shelton - July 15 2006 at 4:38pm
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:25pm
Hmmmm, interesting discussion. I guess my overall experience with stylists and hairdressers has just not been what I would describe as "Hairapy." I agree with Rini, the best "hairapy" I've received is on this and other boards. But I think there are likely great stylists who are supportive of long hair (or different hair types). I've just never met one. Anyway, like Dave, I would be interested in your book, Auramae. Welcome to the board!
auramae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auramae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 7:18pm

Bummer...I thought I left this post, but I don't see it.  Forgive me if it shows up twice!

********Admin Team Note***********

If you wish to get more info on the name of the book, the website where to buy it or other details please bmail this person privately.

To post it here violates our directive against advertising of any products or services. It has been edited out due to our posting guidelines.

Thanks,
HB Admin Team

I guess the only answer I have is that some plumbers/electricians/cooks are better than others, too.  I don't believe that all of them are awful any more than I believe that all hairdressers are.  (Just foolish humans who occasionally say or do something stupid.)If a client comes in and asks for something that I think will be unattractive, I explain to them why I think that and offer some alternatives.  If they are dead set, then I do what I am told.  (This applies only to cutting. If someone wants a chemical service that I think will compromise the integrity of their hair, I say no.  I have some professional ethics that I can't be talked out of.)When a client tells me they are growing their hair longer, I make a deal with them.  The first time they come back complaining about what a PITA it is to grow out their hair and how much they hate it, I talk them out of it and we go on with the plan.  If they continue to hate it over repeated visits, then I will cut it shorter.  (It's kind of like not letting your kid quit piano lessons the first time they gripe about it!)I really don't think that hairdressers, as a whole, have a strong opinion about hair length.   Much like society as a whole, there are some jerks and some great people.   Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Edited by administrator - July 15 2006 at 11:21pm
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:46pm
Hi Auramae,

I don't think anyone here at all would agree that all hairdressers are evil!  However, I think that many of us have found that, as a general rule, stylists often aren't educated or experienced in styling long hair.  When someone has taken a lot of care in growing hair, just a snide comment or a bad experience at the salon can turn a lot of people off.

One other experience that came to mind.  One time I was just getting a trim, and for fun, the stylist was going to put my hair in some kind of an updo (I've forgotten exactly what it was).  My hair was 4 or 5 inches below my shoulders, so it wasn't terribly long at all.  The stylist was somehow wrapping my hair around but had some extra hair that for some reason didn't fit in the updo.  She said she didn't know what to do with it.  In the next chair was a woman, probably in her fifties, overweight, getting her poodle haircut, and she said, "Just cut that sucker of a tail off!!" and then she roared with laughter, as did everyone else.  I smiled meekly, extremely proud of myself that I didn't dare say what I really wanted, which was "Why is that old, ugly women seem to want to cut off the hair of young, beautiful women?  You had your chance, lady, and you obviously blew it...."

Of course, that wasn't a stylist who uttered the odd comment, but little incidents like those just kind of add to the feeling that salons are really for women with short hair or else women with long hair who want short hair.

I wish cosmetology schools had more education for dealing with (lots of....) hair!
auramae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auramae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 11:16pm
Sorry for the violation.  I was answering a request and did not mean to violate policies.  If anyone has any questions about my book or my business they can PM me.

Re: anne6000:  I would say that the average hairdresser has no less experience with long hair than they do with curly or fine or thinning hair.  Pity the poor cosmetology graduate.   The states mandate that we have a certain number of hours of instruction (usually 1500-2000) and in that time the school can barely teach us how not to maim or mutilate someone.  There is really very little time to teach artistry and nuance.  All of that has to be done in the real world and usually takes years of on the job training (and a certain amount of natural talent to match with the learned skills.)
That is why people with more years of experience usually have a larger clientelle.  They have built a business by satisfying customers more often than not.  Often people seek out a hairdresser with hair like them (curly, fine, etc.)  I think the reason there are fewer hairdressers with (let's call it extra-long) long hair is that we see so many new styles every day and we stannd in front of a mirror for 8-12 hours a day and we get bored!  There is always some cute new style or color and we can't wait to try it on ourselves!
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:26am

I think the reason there are fewer hairdressers with (let's call it extra-long) long hair is that we see so many new styles every day and we stannd in front of a mirror for 8-12 hours a day and we get bored!  There is always some cute new style or color and we can't wait to try it on ourselves!

I think most of us love to try new hairstyles!  However, it's my impression that a new style to a beautician almost always involves cutting, and to those with longer hair, it involves literally styling the hair differently without cutting -- straightening, curling, various updos, hair jewelry, changing the part of the hair, and other ideas that involve different styling without cutting.  And that may lie in part of the sometimes miscommunication between stylists and clients.  So, when a stylist hears the words "new look," or "I'd like a change" what may often be the first thing in mind is a reduction in hair length rather than just a different style.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:28am
Thank you for understanding about our policies.  If we let them slide at all - even a tiny bit - almost instantaneously - we are covered in advertising posts and things quickly get out of hand. 

We are happy for people to socialize their products and related offerings but to keep it clean...PM is always the best route.

Welcome to the boards.  I appreciate your insights from behind the chair.

Thanks again.
Karen

Edited by Karen Shelton - July 16 2006 at 12:29am
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
auramae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auramae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:01am
anne, I think you may be on to something here.  I think as hairdressers we assume that if you are asking us for a new look, you are asking for a change in cut, color or texture, not for styling ideas. 

Perhaps it could be better communicated by asking:  "I have been wearing my hair in these styles (list) and I was wondering if you had any ideas how else I could style it without changing the cut?"  There are some great booKs with long hair styles.  Martin Parsons does some great ones with good instructions.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:11am
While I agree that Martin does a great job, we used to carry his videos...like we still do Patrick Cameron's (because he was one of our very first vendors almost 10 years ago in our e-store). 

Unfortunately, we had a lot of returns on the videos because consumers consistently told us that the styles were beautiful but "too complex" for average hair consumers.  Even Patricks...which are lovely...because non-pros have a hard time duplicating the styles.

In my humble opinion I think that is one possible danger when consumer buy some of the videos that are out there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic