Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yes this is my hair!!! vent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes this is my hair!!! vent
    Posted: May 02 2006 at 12:08pm

I'm sick of people asking me if this is my hair.

Just a few days ago,after my aerobics class this lady with her hair braided into an "up do out do"  was all up in my hair.  I usually exercise near the instructor since i plan on becoming an instructor myself, so everyone in the back can see me.  All i had was a braid out, tied back. Ol'e girl comes up to me and asks how did I get my hair like that. I didn't mind telling her but dang, why did she have to look back at your friend and make a face like ===>. After that she just said oooooooo, ok, its cute! and just stood there...I saw her a few days later without her braided updo and I'm guessing she was waiting to see if I had a weave in. Don't want to assume but the reaction tells alot

Then Monday I had my mom cornrow my hair, cause I can't do it myself.  So I went to work the next day, cornrows to the back, the last loose strands wrapped into a scrunchi.  NONE of the length was showing and this 5th grader  first asked me if the cornrows was my own hair. Then she said I had long hair, just by looking at the cornrows.

I had to stop wearing my hair in a stretched low afro- puff because some 5th grader at another school felt the need to try to "rip my fake puff off"

This is crazy! I know this mind set is common but it's just  wild that so many people feel that we have to have weave.   I just want to shout out, "PEOPLE WE CAN GROW OUR OWN HAIR".

It's getting tiring just thinking about it. I have tried to offer sites but many of those people claim they either don't have the time or they don't need it. Then don't ask me for advice if you don't want it.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

tffy2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tffy2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 12:37pm

It gets old after while and you get use to it, sorry you had to go through that though. 

But, girl I feel the same way when people ask for advice then don't want to take the time to do the research, I am so tempted to make up some business cards with a list of websites and hair albums to visit and keep them in my pocket and go to the mall and just hand them out.

Goal:Waistlength Natural Hair!
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:00pm
It is very annoying. I'd rather people didn't ask. Better yet, I wish they didn't notice my hair at all and I could wear it anyway I liked. (that's another reason why I like wearing buns. No one notices it)
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
R2D2inoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R2D2inoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 6:35pm

I think its because they think it's impossible for black people to grow hair to the length you have.  Think of yourself as an ad for healthy hair!  Although I must say it must be pretty annoying attracting that sort of attention.  Some days you just want to be a normal joe just going about your business.

Natural 10 years
3b/4a armpit length hair
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 9:59pm

@ Tffy passing out cards with hair forum links sound wonderful.  Whenever they ask, I'll just flip them the card.

@Pheonix I know where you are coming from. My hair is pretty much in some type of scrunchi, bun or claw clamp ( while in twists or braids)where my length can't show.  It seems like you have to duck and dodge every few minutes when they notice your hair.

@R2D2inoz  It's good to put a positive spin on it. But I have been chased down at the grocery store over my hair once.  I guess you can say I know what it feels like to be a celebrity.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:40pm

I've gone up to 2 long haired girls before. But I didn't gawk at them. I complimented them, then I told them my goals and asked if they had any pointers. They didn't seem bothered (or at least they didn't let on to me that they were).

Of course, it may be the whole "vibe" of how it's done. I'm not in awe that they CAN grow their hair that long, so I'm not like "wow, is that yours?"

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 6:24am

Renata there is nothing wrong with someone asking. But the woman mentioned made a facial expression that I would find rude, at least to me it was)

Asking a question is also different then someone pulling your hair to try to take the "weave" out. It's painful  since it's not a weave and even if it was a weave It would still be painful; because either way it's attached to your head one way or another.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 10:16am

Oh, hell, NO. PULLING YOUR HAIR? That's just psychotic.

Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 9:24pm
Oh my 
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:06am

I hear your frustration.  I get sick of people yanking my ponytail just to see if it comes off.  They try to pretend that they're doing it in a playful way but I know why they're doing it.

Oh, here's another one.  When I wear my hair natural I get so sick of people yelling "Oh, you cut your hair!".  Don't they realize curly hair shrinks up, duh!  It dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out....sheesh!

blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:27pm
Okay should I be offended if noone asks me that question lolol but I understand that it can be annoying that ppl think Afam women can't grow their hair
Hair album
pw:Romeo
Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Pokahontas Pokahontas wrote:

I hear your frustration.  I get sick of people yanking my ponytail just to see if it comes off.  They try to pretend that they're doing it in a playful way but I know why they're doing it.

Oh, here's another one.  When I wear my hair natural I get so sick of people yelling "Oh, you cut your hair!".  Don't they realize curly hair shrinks up, duh!  It dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out....sheesh!

Poky, you will be surprised on how many people do not realize that.  It really isn't common knowledge because a large number of "us" are so used to relaxed hair or straight hair.
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 6:21pm

That one gets me too. I always wonder how some people can be so "empty". Pardon my bluntness. (In my case, it's when I wear it curly)

If they think about it for a second, they can compare hair coils, ringlets, or curls to a piece of string or some other item they can wrap around their finger. They can see that when they hold it out straight, it is long, but when they wrap it, or coil it, it looks shorter. That doesn't mean that it is truly shorter though. When hair is curly like in a roller set, it is doing the same thing. An experiment like that shouldn't even have to be acted out for them to figure out how it works.

Edited by Phoenix1017
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Phoenix1017 Phoenix1017 wrote:

If they think about it for a second, they can compare hair coils, ringlets, or curls to a piece of string or some other item they can wrap around their finger. They can see that when they hold it out straight, it is long, but when they wrap it, or coil it, it looks shorter. That doesn't mean that it is truly shorter though. When hair is curly like in a roller set, it is doing the same thing. An experiment like that shouldn't even have to be acted out for them to figure out how it works.

EXACTLY!   Very well said!

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 2:48pm
I am so glad that someone can feel my frustration.  Yeah people really do need to think. But thinking is too Easy, many like to learn the hard way.  Grab the wrong hair and they will find out
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 7:18pm

Originally posted by Phoenix1017 Phoenix1017 wrote:

It is very annoying. I'd rather people didn't ask. Better yet, I wish they didn't notice my hair at all and I could wear it anyway I liked. (that's another reason why I like wearing buns. No one notices it)

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!  Why black people walking around with long hair is a big deal is beyond me

Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
Angel28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 10:04am
 Its irritating how many of us think our hair can't grow long not long ago I was one of those people, we've been told so many lies about our hair anyway my hair is just a bit off shoulder length and I hope for armpit by the end of the year and then on to bra strap, I can't wait to start having people ask me THE annoying question "Is that your real hair?"LOLhee hee, I'm gonna take it as a compliment until about I'm asked the "one millionth time" then someone's gonna get bruisedLOL
Successful haircare is a journey,not a destination
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 12:11pm
I don't think I have the right length just yet to get gawked at, but I have had a fellow classmate actually come up to me and pull on one of my curls while asking how I got my hair to be curly and shiny. I didn't mind the question but the self-invitation to just pull on it was not cool. But what I do hate is if I wear my hair done and the wind is blowing I'll flip my hair out of my eyes. I've heard women say "Oh she thinks she's cute" Things like that. It's really annoying!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 9:19pm

Damn straight you think you're cute!!! I'd think less of you if you thought you weren't cute. Sadly, in this society, women who hate what they look like is so normal that people think something's wrong with you if you don't dislike what you look like.

So the next time someone says, "she thinks she's cute," just smile and say to yourself, "DUH!"

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 10:27pm
 LOL!! Renata I couldn't have said it better myself! The whole time, I'm thinking " Well I sure don't think I'm ugly!!!" Then I would really have a problem wouldn't I???
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic