Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yes this is my hair!!! vent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BlackBeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes this is my hair!!! vent
    Posted: January 22 2007 at 1:51pm
I also dont like when poeple ask me that quetion when i was little people always used to say is that your hair? or the worst quetion what are you mixed with?  they constantly ask as if black women cant grow their hair and anyone can.  When i was in class this new girl said that she didn't know black poeples hair can grow so long just because hers is short. I feel like she is so ignorant for saying so. As of now ive been natural for 10 months and just had the big chop about 5 inches so now i have about 5 inches of new growth so happy.

by the way i think you all have beautiful hair i cant wait until mine grows back outTongue!!!!

Edited by BlackBeauty - January 22 2007 at 1:54pm
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 12:45am
well you got a witness here about the hair showdowns. For some reason, some women can't see you looking nice, so they have to tear you down. I used to worry alot when people would ask me if my hair was a wig. i tried to hide it in ponytails and tuck it under or with hats because they would want to feel it and play with it. i hate that, especially if i don't know you.
Now i don't worry about it and when they make comments i just say, whatever! and i tell them to step off. I know it sounds a little harsh but i just laugh to ease their pain.. hee hee

By the way, i think alot of stuff about Afro hair being long and unnatural, started from our own people making fun of us. like on BET or in comedy shows or just pointing it out to others while we skurps by in out nice duds, so now people think every black head has a weave on it, especially if it is past your shoulders.

Edited by kellie7777 - January 21 2007 at 12:49am
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 10:57am
Just wanted to chime in here that it's not just y'all.  It's not uncommon for white women with very long hair to get it yanked "just to see if it's real".  I think people like that enjoy humiliating others.  Can you imagine how it would feel to get your hairpiece yanked off in public?! 

One time I had my hair up with the curly ends hanging out covering the bun.  Someone told me that I needed to get a puff that matched my hair better. (the ends of my hair are lighter)  I said "um... that is my hair!"  She stuttered something and turned and walked away.

Originally posted by Renata22 Renata22 wrote:

Sadly, in this society, women who hate what they look like is so normal that people think something's wrong with you if you don't dislike what you look like.

Yeah... I think I shock people when I tell them I love my natural curly hair.  One girl in particular looked at me like she thought I was crazy. 
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
myronnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 11:25am
well my friends tell me that I have weird hair just because it isn't short and it is normal length.
This one girl also came up to me and pulled my hair then said "at least my hair isn't a weave" and i'm like ARRGH my hair isn't a weave! It's my own!
it is kinda frustrating..but i love my hair. =)
My Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/myronnie/
mealncholymonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mealncholymonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2006 at 10:25am
I don't have seriously long hair like yall, I just have seriously thick hair. Even when I get a perm the thickness is apparent. Its about 2 inches from my bra strap now but a year and a half ago I cut it just past my ear. People litterally wouldn't talk to me because they were just sooo angry, WHAT THE HECK, how dare you refuse to talk to me becuase I cut MY hair! It was almost as if it had been their own! Not only that but my hair grows reasonably fast so EVERY DAY someone, that I could have seen every day for the past 4 years, will walk up to me and ask if its mine, pull on it a little, tell me not to cut it, and tell me how they love my thick "long" hair. I personally dont' think its that long because most of best friend truly has long hair so I know what long hair REALLY is. I can understand how yall feel, but I mean, why do people that see me EVERY DAY ask and say the SAME TIRED OLD THING every time they see me. I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not. My ultimate hair goal is waist length by my graduation in May 2007, so If i reach that goal I don't think I'll be able to handle the constant questions... lord bless these simple minded hair lovers. Lol.

Edited by mealncholymonie - May 14 2006 at 10:30am
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

I don't think I have the right length just yet to get gawked at, but I have had a fellow classmate actually come up to me and pull on one of my curls while asking how I got my hair to be curly and shiny. I didn't mind the question but the self-invitation to just pull on it was not cool. But what I do hate is if I wear my hair done and the wind is blowing I'll flip my hair out of my eyes. I've heard women say "Oh she thinks she's cute" Things like that. It's really annoying!

Dang!!! But when it's in your face, it is only natural for you to flip it in the other direction without thinking twice. (they must not know... if they do not and/or never had long hair) It just comes naturally. Confused
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 11:19am

Renata you got that right! Just a minute ago, some girl passed me saying, " U think you special with your hair up and all."  My response was, "I sure do, or no one else would."

Well for some these comments could be a mile stone. To those, I wish them luck. But when they try to yank your hair out of your head...you'll know what I'm talking about.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 10:27pm
 LOL!! Renata I couldn't have said it better myself! The whole time, I'm thinking " Well I sure don't think I'm ugly!!!" Then I would really have a problem wouldn't I???
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 9:19pm

Damn straight you think you're cute!!! I'd think less of you if you thought you weren't cute. Sadly, in this society, women who hate what they look like is so normal that people think something's wrong with you if you don't dislike what you look like.

So the next time someone says, "she thinks she's cute," just smile and say to yourself, "DUH!"

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 12:11pm
I don't think I have the right length just yet to get gawked at, but I have had a fellow classmate actually come up to me and pull on one of my curls while asking how I got my hair to be curly and shiny. I didn't mind the question but the self-invitation to just pull on it was not cool. But what I do hate is if I wear my hair done and the wind is blowing I'll flip my hair out of my eyes. I've heard women say "Oh she thinks she's cute" Things like that. It's really annoying!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Angel28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 10:04am
 Its irritating how many of us think our hair can't grow long not long ago I was one of those people, we've been told so many lies about our hair anyway my hair is just a bit off shoulder length and I hope for armpit by the end of the year and then on to bra strap, I can't wait to start having people ask me THE annoying question "Is that your real hair?"LOLhee hee, I'm gonna take it as a compliment until about I'm asked the "one millionth time" then someone's gonna get bruisedLOL
Successful haircare is a journey,not a destination
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 7:18pm

Originally posted by Phoenix1017 Phoenix1017 wrote:

It is very annoying. I'd rather people didn't ask. Better yet, I wish they didn't notice my hair at all and I could wear it anyway I liked. (that's another reason why I like wearing buns. No one notices it)

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!  Why black people walking around with long hair is a big deal is beyond me

Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 2:48pm
I am so glad that someone can feel my frustration.  Yeah people really do need to think. But thinking is too Easy, many like to learn the hard way.  Grab the wrong hair and they will find out
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Phoenix1017 Phoenix1017 wrote:

Originally posted by Pokahontas Pokahontas wrote:

I hear your frustration.  I get sick of people yanking my ponytail just to see if it comes off.  They try to pretend that they're doing it in a playful way but I know why they're doing it.

Oh, here's another one.  When I wear my hair natural I get so sick of people yelling "Oh, you cut your hair!".  Don't they realize curly hair shrinks up, duh!  It dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out....sheesh!

If they think about it for a second, they can compare hair coils, ringlets, or curls to a piece of string or some other item they can wrap around their finger. They can see that when they hold it out straight, it is long, but when they wrap it, or coil it, it looks shorter. That doesn't mean that it is truly shorter though. When hair is curly like in a roller set, it is doing the same thing. An experiment like that shouldn't even have to be acted out for them to figure out how it works.

EXACTLY!   Very well said!

Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 6:21pm

I hear your frustration.  I get sick of people yanking my ponytail just to see if it comes off.  They try to pretend that they're doing it in a playful way but I know why they're doing it.

Oh, here's another one.  When I wear my hair natural I get so sick of people yelling "Oh, you cut your hair!".  Don't they realize curly hair shrinks up, duh!  It dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out....sheesh!

That one gets me too. I always wonder how some people can be so "empty". Pardon my bluntness. (In my case, it's when I wear it curly)

If they think about it for a second, they can compare hair coils, ringlets, or curls to a piece of string or some other item they can wrap around their finger. They can see that when they hold it out straight, it is long, but when they wrap it, or coil it, it looks shorter. That doesn't mean that it is truly shorter though. When hair is curly like in a roller set, it is doing the same thing. An experiment like that shouldn't even have to be acted out for them to figure out how it works.

Edited by Phoenix1017
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 5:00pm

Poky, you will be surprised on how many people do not realize that.  It really isn't common knowledge because a large number of "us" are so used to relaxed hair or straight hair.
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:27pm
Okay should I be offended if noone asks me that question lolol but I understand that it can be annoying that ppl think Afam women can't grow their hair
Hair album
pw:Romeo
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:06am

Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 9:24pm
Oh my 
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 10:16am

Oh, hell, NO. PULLING YOUR HAIR? That's just psychotic.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic