Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How Can Highlights "Fade"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Can Highlights "Fade"?
    Posted: May 29 2000 at 10:55am

I just read the latest "Ask Karen" column about the possibility of olive oil causing highlights to fade. My hairdresser also sells me a special color-protecting shampoo to prevent fading.

My question is, since highlights are /already/ lighter than the rest of your hair, how can they fade? Basically they're just pieces of hair that have been stripped of some pigment, right? Could someone explain this to me?

I have light ash brown hair with ash blonde highlights.

Thanks,
Ally
forest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2000 at 9:13pm
Hi Ally:

Good question. Whenever you strip or bleach out color from your hair you damage the outside layer of hair called the cuticle. If you don't use professional shampoos and an acid type conditoner, which helps the cuticle layer of the hair to lay flat down again, the hair will fade out. Also if when you have highlights placed in the hair if a hairdresser uses a toner over the highlighted hair it will fade out with repeated shampooings. It is a good idea to use the color shampoo your stylist recommends. It should keep your highlighted hair looking fresh. Forest
forest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2000 at 9:15pm
Hi Ally:

Good question. Whenever you strip or bleach out color from your hair you damage the outside layer of hair called the cuticle. If you don't use professional shampoos and an acid type conditoner, which helps the cuticle layer of the hair to lay flat down again, the hair will fade out. Also if when you have highlights placed in the hair if a hairdresser uses a toner over the highlighted hair it will fade out with repeated shampooings. It is a good idea to use the color shampoo your stylist recommends. It should keep your highlighted hair looking fresh. Forest
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2000 at 9:09am
Forest~

What is a good shampoo for ash-blonde highlights?

Ally
RockinLocks4u View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockinLocks4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2000 at 1:52pm

Hi Ally,  I know I'm not Forest, but in answer to your question about shampoo, I have a couple of suggestions.  Some really good companies out there have started making Pure Blonde shampoos and conditioners.  They are violet based and have additives in them to chelate(or remove) deposits on your hair that will make your color dull such as hard water mineral deposits.  I have personally used (I'm a high-lifted blonde) the Graham Webb and the

Biosilk lines and I really like them.  Carrie

forest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2000 at 6:43pm
Hi Ally:

One nice shampoo for highlighted hair that will keep it looking ash is Artec Shampoo in White Lilac (I think that is the color name, anyway the name of the color reminds me of White Flowers so the second name after white might be another flower name). It is a nice color shampoo that is professional. You might also consider Shimmer Lights for white or grey hair. It will also keep highlights looking more ash than yellow or gold. Forest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic