Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A brunette wanting to go to a blond (washout)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NOYB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOYB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A brunette wanting to go to a blond (washout)
    Posted: January 21 2001 at 9:22pm
I want to dye my hair blond but I want it to be a wash out, what type of BLOND should I go, when I have medum to dark drown hair
fortytwo03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortytwo03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2001 at 4:57pm
Reply to message: 21.1142.1
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but everything I have seen states that it is impossible to go lighter with washout hair dye - you can only go darker. In your case, if you wanted to go blonde, you would probably have to bleach your hair first, which would be very hard on it(as well as permanent). Sorry I didn`t have an answer more to your liking.
meg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2001 at 5:13pm
I`m not so up on the hair terms, but when you say washout, I presume that you`re talking about a permenant or semi-permenant hair color. If I`m wrong here, look over me. I know that I`ve made that mistake before. I had nice blonde hair in the past, but over the years I have faded to light brown to dark brown underneath. I have bought the haircolor and it be the most beautiful blonde on the box. No way it will do that to your brown hair, never. You will have to bleach, then add the color you like. The only thing the other will do is to turn your hair ugly orange. I`ve been there too many times. Sorry if I`m misunderstanding you when you say "whashout"......Good luck.....Oh, I usually frost mine and mine is very hard to lift. If you want an all over blonde color, try L`Oreal Frost and Design. It is the best over the counter, in my opinion. You just pull alot of hair through the cap for all over lighting, or if you just want to try highlights, then just pull a little through. I have to leave mine on for a full hour, and it is damaging, but all in all, if you want blonde, it`s a good product.....Meg
Princess Daisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Daisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2001 at 10:02pm
Will not dying it blond and than dying it blond again not help???
Inches don`t matter
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2001 at 9:52pm
Reply to message: 21.1167.1
If you want the temporary hair color, which does wash out over time, you can NOT go lighter. Only deepen your current color or go darker.

If you want to go lighter you will need to do streaks or some other method.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Nadia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2001 at 12:55am
If you`re brunette, why dye your hair blond?? I promise you, your own colour is probably much nicer than cheap dyes you can buy from a drustore. And you don`t get regrowth. Natural and healthy is much sexier than dull bleached hair. I know lots of people who have made this mistake. Sorry to sound like a grandmother or something. But I know how you feel cos I am half Italian, and have tan skin and long dark hair and have always wanted to be a pale, blond kind. I guess thats life! But still, its your choice.
Good luck,
Nadia
AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2001 at 8:34pm
Reply to message: 21.1207.1
I agree with Nadia. But I also understand the desire to see what you look like as a blonde. I have been there and done the blonde thing many times with a variety of combinations of streaks, etc. Let me stress, its difficult to get just the right shade of blonde for your unique skin tone. It takes trial and error doing it on your own. So, what I`ve learned is ...next time I`m finding the best colorist in my city and going to her (or him) before I do blonde again.
But, I still look better brunette.

Happyblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happyblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2001 at 4:21am
Reply to message: 21.1209.1
Ok, I guess my name gives it away, however I have to disagree with the assumption that bleaching your hair or any kind of color process automatically makes your hair dull.

You have to keep it very conditioned, and extra time is involved. My hair, although already a light color to begin with and therfor not in need of too much bleaching, is in good condition and I grew my hair long using "Born Blonde" by Clairol. I think a lot of women color their entire hair every time they need a touch up and dry out the hair in the process. I only color my roots. I think going blonder is fun. You can always color it back to your original shade (best done at a salon) or try differnt colors. Maybe if your hair is brunette you should have it colored at a salon, but lots of brunettes color their hair at home. I recommend "Born Blonde" but that might not be strong enough bleach. Just thought I would give another opinion.

Happyblonde
Happyblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happyblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2001 at 4:21am
Reply to message: 21.1209.1
Ok, I guess my name gives it away, however I have to disagree with the assumption that bleaching your hair or any kind of color process automatically makes your hair dull.

You have to keep it very conditioned, and extra time is involved. My hair, although already a light color to begin with and therfor not in need of too much bleaching, is in good condition and I grew my hair long using "Born Blonde" by Clairol. I think a lot of women color their entire hair every time they need a touch up and dry out the hair in the process. I only color my roots. I think going blonder is fun. You can always color it back to your original shade (best done at a salon) or try differnt colors. Maybe if your hair is brunette you should have it colored at a salon, but lots of brunettes color their hair at home. I recommend "Born Blonde" but that might not be strong enough bleach. Just thought I would give another opinion.

Happyblonde
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2001 at 8:43pm
I use a washout: Clairol Sahara
adds gold to my hair and keeps my highlights bright. Carries me through until my next highlight session. Also curbs that "i am bored and want to do something different with my hair"

I would like to try somethign darker but I am afraid it would leave a residue and not come out completely - in turn ruining my hair.
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic