Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help/Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 12:15pm
Precious Girl, I'm sorry to tell you that it will be near impossible to have long healthy beautiful hair unless you give up your daily heat styling.  As a curly-girl who wanted to grow longer hair, I had to give up the idea of ever having sleek straight hair.  (It's a good thing I gave up before flat irons became the rage!)  There's nothing you can do to repair the damage.  Once it's done, there's no fixing it.  It's like a broken fingernail - you can glue it back together for a temporary solution, but it won't heal over.

The first thing you must understand is that the look of your curls will improve as the health of your hair improves.  You say that you don't like the kind of curl/wave that your hair has.  That's possibly because you're not styling it properly to get "maximum performance".  Curly hair is so different than straight hair and must be treated very differently!  Most people don't realize that, even stylists.  It took me several years of gathering info and experimenting to figure out how to really treat my hair to make it look its best.

Here is what I advise you to do:

1. Stop thinking you have to have straight hair or big loose curls to look hot.  Curly/wavy hair can be very sexy-looking.  And the longer your hair gets, the hotter you'll look. 
2. Stop thinking you have to look like a celebrity.  Life is so much less stressful when you accept yourself the way you are!  Accept your hair the same way you must accept your body, your talents (or lack thereof), etc.  A woman looks most beautiful when she is comfortable with who she is.
3. Stop using Head & Shoulders every time you wash your hair, it's a very harsh shampoo.  Since you said you use a flat iron every day, I assume you wash your hair every day.  Try using a regular shampoo for normal hair most of the time, and use the dandruff shampoo once a week or once every 2 weeks.  When you use the dandruff shampoo, only use it on your scalp. (never pile all your hair up on your head when washing) 
4. Stop washing your hair every day.  I know it's very hard for some people to get used to this, but it does make a big difference because you're not daily stripping the natural oils from your hair.  Go ahead and take your shower every day, and rinse your hair in the shower, just don't add shampoo.  Curly hair needs that moisture, so you don't have to skip getting it wet, just skip the shampoo.  (I wash my hair only twice a week.)
5. Stop using a brush.  A brush will cause more fluff and frizz than any person should ever have to deal with.  Try using a wide tooth comb instead.  Better yet, try combing your hair thoroughly before washing it, then don't touch it aftwards.  Scrunch it with a towel to get out excess water, then let it air dry.  No combing, brushing, or running your fingers through it.

I know this was really long.  I hope it helps!  You can check out my hair space to see my hair, exactly how I do it, the products I use, and more.  If you have any questions, do ask! 

p.s. i found satin pillowcases at wal-mart, though i'm not sure if they still carry them.  if you can't find one, buy a piece of soft satin at a fabric store and make one.  it doesn't take much time or skill to make a pillowcase.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 6:59am
You'd want a satin pillowcase, not a silk one.  Silk is nice but hair tends to sort of stick to it, where it just slides right over satin.  You'd have to check your local stores and see if you can find one...I got mine online.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 8:56pm
HI, precious girl,

I have to agree with the other gals. Any time you put any heat on your hair, you are damaging it. Your hair is very pretty natural. And it looks like it is still in pretty good condition.But, If you keep on using the flat iron, when your hair is long, what will the ends look like?

I also have really thick hair, that is really wavy, almost curly. I have problems with frizz, so I use jojba oil as a mild styling aid, and an over-night leave in. Also, doing co only washes will help with the damage control.Mayonaise is a really good treatment for damage, also

While your hair is damp try taking a big, really big, flat brush and brush through your hair with the brush on the underside. It won't take all the wave out, but it might help. I know that the more I brush my hair, the straighter it gets.

But, I really, honestly think you have very pretty hair, just the way it is. I hope I could help.
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 8:08pm
See, that's what I would like. Tips on getting my hair the way I want it but still keep it healthy. Any other tips? What about things like Brilliant Brunet Simply Sleek Straightening Balm and then doing the scrunchie thing (which I am trying right now since my hair is damp) would that give me straight hair without the heat?

Any other tips for styleing without heat? I would like to have big loose waves but the sock thing won't work. I have really thick hair and none of my socks are big enough to do it. Besides wouldn't it be uncomfotable to sleep on.

Silk pillow cases. How do they protect your hair and can you buy them at any store? I cannot buy things online (we don't have credit cards)
March 2007:

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 7:16pm
You have beautiful hair. It is totally beautiful without the straightening. As for celebrities, they have the money to get extensions, and many of them do. It is definitely difficult to want hair that is celebrity hair, as in most cases this is an unachievable thing - their hair is "done" by a team of professionals for special events, and many have extensions making it look like they have "dream hair."

There are many things you can do to get the "straight" look without using heat - I've found aloe gel to really help tame frizzies and make my hair look straighter. You can use scrunchies down the length when it's damp to straighten it as it dries.

Oh, you might send a pm to letmecount123, she has similar hair to yours, and I know she straightens every now and then for special occasions.

Edited by SpecialKitty - December 05 2006 at 7:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:54pm
According to Redken my hair is really really healthy at the moment. Is there any way at all to continue using a straightener and preserve my hair the way it is now. Will the Redken line help? What about vitamins. I know some people on here still use straighteners so how do they do it?
March 2007:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:49pm
Okay I have a question. Celebrities hair is always straightedened and blow dried and curled. How do they keep their hair healthy and shiny. I know they have tons of money and go to stylists but od nothing can help damage how do they do it? I want hair like this:

Is it attainable for me? How does she do it (or how do he stylists do it?)

March 2007:

Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:03pm
I think your natural hair is fine.Your waves are very pretty.Your hair could look awesome natural.It actually looks pretty healthy considering how often you straighten it.I know the grass is greener on the other side,but I would embrace your natural texture.

I'm with specialkitty.That flatiron is only going to make your hair look worse overtime.And if it gets too damaged not even the flatiron will make it look good.

Edited by Longhairdreams - December 05 2006 at 6:10pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 5:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 4:39pm
Your hair will not look pretty and long and shiny if you keep flat ironing it. Sorry to say this, but it is the hard truth. You may need to change the way you look at your natural hair if you want pretty, long, shiny hair. I know this sounds very harsh. If you decide you want to take better care of your hair, this is a great board for learning how to do so. Good luck in your quest.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 6:59pm
I know but I don't want frizzy, foldy hair like I see some people with. I want it to be pretty and long and shiny. My natural hair is not something people would call hot. You will see later tonight when I post pics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 4:25pm
Precious Girl, you have breakage because of the damage you are doing to your hair from using a flat iron. No products will help to make your hair stronger in the face of this damage. Additionaly, no product will "repair the damage."  Using a heat protector may help for a short while, but the damage will still continue, especially if you keep flat ironing regularly. If you want to make your hair stronger, you will need to baby it and take better care of it. This forum is a great place to learn tips for how to take better care of your hair.

Edited by SpecialKitty - December 04 2006 at 4:26pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 10:37pm
I know heat is bad for my hair, but my natural look is way worse. It is sort of wavy but not the pretty kind and it gets super poofy and is just not attractive. I will get pictures up later.

As to the sock rollers/bun for rollers it doesn't work. I haven't tried them specifially but I have tried hot rollers, curl spray, Rolling my hair up and bobby pinning it so it will dry in curls, a round brushs, everything.   
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 8:47pm
I'm sure you know how horrible flat irons are for your hair.And this is the cause of weak and brittle hair.They scorch your hair(yes scorch).I know sounds harsh but its really aswful for your hair especially every day.If you must flat iron I would try to spread out the length of time between doing it.And find a good heat protector.Any one will do.I dont think the more expensive ones are really any better.Nothing can protect your hair from what the iron does.

You could try a sock bun for curls.Most people have good results with that.
anaissatin.freespaces.com/   Heres a link to a site with a detailed how to and pics. Why not embrace your natural texture.I'm not trying to go all hippy on you,lol.But your hair would thank you for it.My hair is all natural right now after years of torment,lolEvil%20Smile.And it was the best thing I ever did.My hair is so shiny and silky.I forgot how great my hair was.And I kept making the mistake of trying to mask the damage with more heat,or another chemical process.You've definitely came to the right place,although the boards a little slow right now.

And as far as hairstyles go I myself think a high messy bun always looks good.Good luck.Thumbs%20Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 7:21pm

My hair is about half an inch past the bottom of my bra. I use head and shoulders and a suave conditioner which I try to laeve on for awhile a couple times a week. I don't really know a whole lot about shampoos/ conditioners. I cannot buy products off the internet but can from salons and stores.

I have a problem with breakage. Any little thing causes my hair to break. What vitaimns or shampoos, anyhting, will make my hair stronger?

I use a flat iron almost every day so anything to help protect and repair that is reccomened would be good.

Lastly can you reccomend any good hairstyles? My hair will not take curls, to my dismay becuase I LOVE the big loose waves look, and I have side swept bangs so updos don't look good.

Anything you can give me that will work is GREAT.

TIA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic