Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair stereotypes - input wanted!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bess32 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bess32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair stereotypes - input wanted!
    Posted: September 24 2001 at 5:05pm
Hi all,

I`m in the prep stages of writing a novel, and am trying to characterise my characters with distinct hairstyles. My question is, what are the stereotypes associated with different hairstyles? Particularly curly/straight? All I can think of is that perhaps curly-haired types are perceived of as troublemakers or clowns, or perhaps more individualists. Short, well groomed hair could indicate a straight-laced person, and red hair might be associated, again, with many of the curly haired stereotypes. And fair hair might be seen as innocent or angelic. Can anyone else think of other stereotypes? What would be the stereotypical style of an innocent person? An evil character? A temptress?

Also, while I`m playing twenty questions.. I`m thinking of incorporating a haircut-as-sensuality scene in the story, but I know that the standard population doesn`t have the tolerance for that like we hair enthusiasts. Any suggestions on level of depth or technique in a haircut scene?

Thanks for any input!
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2001 at 4:06pm
Reply to message: 21.2694.1
I believe the temptress should be the long, curly red haired women.
The innocent should be the blonde with a chin length bob with short bangs (women) or a blonde curly hair top with close shaved sides (guy)
The evil character should have dark (jet black) hair - long and straight for a women and longish, messy with a beard for a guy.

I think there are more than you think that would be turned on by a haircut - sensuality scene. Just incorporate the cut into the sex part. You know... the blonde tresses fell gently on her naked breasts.....oh well, you are the writer....
Shery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2001 at 5:19pm
The innocent woman character should have long blond hair like Alice in Wonderland. The evil woman should have a short severe cut.
Once i know who I`m not then I`ll know who i am. ~alanis morissette~
bess32 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bess32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2001 at 12:22am
short severe, huh?

See.. this is where I`m going with this.. I`m trying to use stereotypes to get the reader forming opinions about the characters, and then completely trashing those opinions climactically (ie, the sweet girl is really the devil, etc etc).

Let me know if you disagree with any of these characterizations I`ve made, or if you have better suggestions:

The Angel Woman: youthful, blonde, curly hair (actually permed, dyed) blue eyes, petite, you get the picture.

The Devil Woman: Definitely dark hair and eyes, but I`m torn between a severe short cut and long, ratty hair. Again, either unhealthily thin and angular, or slightly rounder and more of a temptress.

The Innocent Protagonist (male): was leaning toward brown curls here, as a youthful thing, but for some reason, straight blonde hair seems more virtuous. Any ideas?

The Devil`s Jester: Again, not sure about this one. Curls show playfulness, but not if the protagonist has them too.

As for haircuts, what I`m thinking of is a male (sorry, for those of you lustful of female cuts) forced head & body shave as an indication of loss of identity/power (by a domineering woman, for those who care). Here`s your chance to propagate haircut stories.. any suggestions for other cuts?
drolma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drolma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2001 at 8:08pm
Highly amusing responses!
Well, my question is, why do you want to use stereotypical haircuts? yes, the angel would have blond, curly hair... but do you want to just give it away like that? How about a swarthy angel with arrow-straight black hair? A trickster/devil with the neatly tressed blond bob? The temptress could go just about any way, given that there`s a fetish about every haircut in the world! As for the haircut scene, how about a shampoo with whipped cream and strawberry sauce?
bess32 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bess32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2001 at 1:32pm
Reply to message: 21.2721.1
The revelation is IN the stereotype.

The angel IS the devil.

It`s the reader who is associating her goldenness with goodness, perhaps with a little help from a confused narrator. Hence, the need for a stereotype to propagate this.

I`m still a bit confused about what physical features would make an "innocent" male. Any ideas?
bess32 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bess32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2001 at 1:36pm
Reply to message: 21.2721.1
Oh, and, by the way, drolma, you are completely correct.

The angel, in the end, turns out to be the dark, antisocial one. The prophet is the man with the goatee and devilishly slanted unibrow. And the curlyhaired blonde is none other than the devil herself.

After all.. if the devil is such a deceptive character, why would he go around dressing all ugly anyway?
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2001 at 2:53pm
If you have a teacher in your book and she is mean than she is wearing a tight bun.

dianefromcanada
StarRaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StarRaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2001 at 5:49pm
Why use stereotypes? As one writer to another, stereotypes of ANY kind are to be avoided. Why focus on hair any way? Hair is the last thing readers really think about unless you are planning on making an issue of it...

"I`m sorry, Alicia, but with short straight blonde hair, cut in a chin length bob, I cannot love you."
"Oh, Robert, if only I had bright red hair cut into a pixie style then I would have your heart!"
"No, Alicia, my heart belongs to Sally who has long wavy black hair with no bangs held in a tight bun."
"Oh, Robert, if only I didn`t have bangs!"

You see? It doesn`t really matter. If anything, red headed women WILL stand out and will be expected to be saucy or otherwise strong willed but that is art imitating life (*knows many red heads*)

Love luck and jelly fish!
Love, luck and jelly fish!
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2001 at 7:16pm
Stereotypes? Let me see...
Blondes, stupid; Redheads, fiery tempered; Raven-haired,evil; White, geriatric; Purple, 1970s punk rockers; Yellow, their livers need looking at; Green, they`re a Zillog from the Planet Tharg; Rainbow colored, you have taken too much LSD. Any more silly questions?
phil
bess32 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bess32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2001 at 4:15pm
Reply to message: 21.2756.1
StarRaven,

Depending on the story or writer, I could agree or disagree with you.

It`s true, if someone is writing on a pop fiction level, your example of hair discussion would be positively silly. And it`s true, I don`t really care if Mrs. X has a blonde pageboy or a long red braid, although something like a mohawk would certainly add something to the character.

However, a story isn`t entirely about the dialogue. A story is just as much about the "halo of blonde curls" and "ratty black locks like Medusa`s snakes", to use a few stereotypes, to perpetuate an perception of a character. As a writer, you must be aware of the "show, don`t tell" manner of writing. Hair, body types and body language, mannerisms, and the like, are the sort of descriptive components of the character that can be manipulated to allow the reader to form an opinion about a character, in addition to his or her actions and dialogue.

As I explained previously, the reason I`m trying to survey universal hair stereotypes is to build an apparent image of my characters which is later shattered in the novel. So, in that case, I think you might agree that stereotypes are beneficial, and even necessary. How can you mislead your reader to believe that a character is evil without building on stereotypes? Obviously, though, there is certainly a difference between writing "Evilline had black hair and wore all black and was always frowning and lived in a haunted house" and "Suzy glanced over at me in that loathsome way of hers, her eyes nearly buried behind a black veil of hair".

Also, the reason why I`ve focused on hair in particular (aside from this being a hair discussion forum) is because I have a scene in which a character gets his head shaved. Not as homage to all the hair enthusiasts out there, but because hair plays a role in identity, warmth etc etc, and all the metaphors involved. Thus, because the shaved character is portrayed as pure and innocent (again, not such a true description by the time the ending rolls around) I`m trying to get a census of what might be most broadly perceived as an "innocent" hairstyle. Shaving the head of an innocent is, in some way, stripping away of the innocence. And finally, because I am a strong supporter of unity in writing, I need to ground this scene to the rest of the story with continual reference to hair and its roles, including some subtle foreshadowing.

So I hope that helps you understand why I have a need to understand hair stereotypes. You are absolutely right about stereotypes being tacky and useless in general, and I will certainly remind myself to use stereotype only as much as possible, but in the certain case of this particular novel, where misleading & confusing the reader is integral to the plot, it is also a necessity.
bess32 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bess32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2001 at 4:20pm
Sorry.. to clarify that last posting.

I`m actually trying to mislead the reader into forming the opinion of the character which I am trying to perpetuate.

This cannot be achieved through the character`s actions because these are actually the aspects of the characters that support their "true" identities.

eg, the witchy woman with the black hair who lives in the dilapidated shack and physically abuses her friends is actually an angel offering physical and spiritual enlightenment. Without using a few stereotypes, I cannot reasonably have the reader initially believe she is evil and then coerce him/her into believe that she is truly good, because they will have based their opinion on her actions.
StarRaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StarRaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2001 at 9:55pm
BEWARE STOCK CHARACTERS DWELL HERE!!!!

What kind of story are you writing? If it is a dimestore romance, then such a use of stock characters is not only acceptable, it is almost a requirement.

Don`t mind me; this is where I am going to rant and lecture for a moment. Take the following with a grain of salt (or perhaps a tablespoon).

Even if you use hair to make readers see characters as something that they are not... the dark haired temptress is really a prude, the blonde headed bob-cut innocent is really the evil one, It`s been done to death!

As for the head shaving thing: Cutting of hair when it is mentioned at length in a story is very important, very cathartic and almost religious, depending on the characters and the setting. For instance, let us say we have a novel in which the female protagonist is captured by the antagonist. now our hero has long black hair which we mention during the course of the novel is fixed very beautifully on several occasions by a certain assistant who is a slave to the antagonist, but who is set free later by the protagonist. This is important, because when the hero and the servant are captured again, the servant is forced to cut the protagonist`s mid-back length hair into a "pixie."

The antagonist tells our hero that he can do what ever he wants and that her hair was a source of vanity on the part of the hero. The hero replies "Hair is transient, it is always changing. Other things are more solid... yadda yadda yadda!"

The servant, meanwhile is so distressed over having cut her mistresses hair, she kills herself by leaping off of a castle turret.

In such a case as seen here, the hair is an accesory to one of the sub-plots, not central to forming the character, nor to forming an image of the character. The job of the writer is to create dynamic characters without resorting to the use of stock traits (one of my characters in my novel has blue and green wavy or curly hair, this only serves to identify her in one small section of the novel and is not really neccesary to her character other than completing the picture of her in the readers mind. She is not a wild person, on the contrary she is a high level priestess &c.)

Stock traits are about as bad as stock characters. The avrage reader will not form his/her opinion based on the description (good descriptions are too spread out--not just shoved into a little slot just as the character steps into the story). I myself watch how the character acts. This in itself lays down the groundwork for the "rules" of writing. (If you do not understand the "rules" see Scream I, II, or III, where they explain the rules of horror films.) A good student of television can usually tell 15 min or so into a program who lives, who dies and the basic plot structure including the resolution.

The point (lost somewhere in my rant) is this: Stop taking characters, character traits, and plots out of the stock pile.

***End teacher lecture here, forgive me if I have offended anyone, it was meant to better the world of writing in general***
bess32 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bess32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2001 at 7:19pm
Reply to message: 21.2772.1
As I stated above, the hairstyle is only one in a multitude of characteristics to mislead the reader. There are a million other facets to each character, but seeing as how this is a Hair forum, I`m restricting my discussion to that. The entire point is that nothing is as blunt as it appears in summary. My apparent villain is not simply described as "a black-haired temptress" who, by her actions, is anything but. However, she is consistently referred to in a dark manner, with respect not only to her hair, but also to her cleanliness, her pets, her apparent motivation, etc etc. This is, of course, not to say that she is a mortician with a black cat, but that she is a grating character in her own respect. Yes, the wolf in sheep`s clothing idea is redundant and overdone, but what I`m going for is a more subtle rendition of the tale. The idea of subjectivism and the role of culture seriously come into play here.

Besides which, you have to agree that there is a fine line between stereotype and symbolism. How can a deeper meaning be expressed without describing things which play symbolic roles in the reader`s assumed culture? For instance, the hardness of the iron gate in The Scarlet Letter; the weak spectacled character in Lord of the Flies; the moloko(milk) in A Clockwork Orange.

Because my story is fundamentally about identity, all aspects of the character are important, hair being only the shallowest level. What is most important in misleading the reader is not the way the character is, or the way the character looks, but the way he or she is described by my narrator. I`m not saying that I am necessarily going to use all stereotypes generated, and more likely than not, only one character will truly embrace the stereotype, but I`d still like to get an idea of what a variety of people respond to. Indeed, action is crucial to forming opinions, but just as important is the narrator`s biased description of this action, which is ultimately where the manipulation in my story lies.

I certainly understand your attempt to rid the world of crappy writing, but I suggest you try to avoid making such a distinction until you have actually heard a story`s plot, rather than its theme. If you told me that you`re writing a "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl" story, I`d bark at you, too; however, so many writers have executed this form well by varying the actual plots involved in such a tale (movies, for instance, off the top of my head: Fight Club, Meet The Parents, Cinderella, Bridget Jones` Diary, etc etc). Trust me, I`m writing more of a Fight Club here than a Cinderella. The point is, the idea of identity, of reader manipulation, and all that I have discussed in this forum, forms only the story`s skeleton. Please don`t accuse me of building another Marilyn Monroe before you`ve seen more than bones.
StarRaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StarRaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2001 at 8:47am
Forgive me if I sounded rude in my last post, I did not mean to offend.

I understand that "the good stories are timeless" and "all the good ideas and writing cliches have already been done," but my point was that most readers will not focus on hair stereotypes, such as colour, ect, more than they will focus on actions and manner.

I am sorry if I am restating something that you see as obvious, I fear that some people do not see it so. I am not only a writer, but I am also a college level writing tutor, and stock traits and characters are one of my pet peeves. The loyal butler, the maid/mistress, ect... I suppose I am used to lectuing students about it.

"If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you were but sleeping here, while these visons did appear, else the Puck a liar call, and so goodnight unto you all. Give me your hands if we be friends, and Robing shall restor amends."
--Midsummer Night`s Dream, William Shakespeare
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2002 at 9:50pm
Hi Bess,

If you`re sincere, my best advice is......use your imagination! You`re the creator of the story. If you rely too much on the opinon of others, then you`re not really the author. You`re merely a journalist clinging onto what you hope is the accepted truth.

No great writer worries about what others think.

Jennifer
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2002 at 4:42am
Hi Jennifer,

Amen. I could not agree with you more.

In the early 1980s I was paid to write a monthly column for a Teen Magazine called EQ (they went out of biz eventually) and during the time I wrote the column I worried incessantly about the thoughts of others and their opinions of my column. It really cramped my style and looking back at those columns my writing was stiff and my normal humor was nowhere to be seen.

Now that I am older (and hopefully a little wiser) I write totally from my heart and it flows so much better. :-) I also let my humor out.

Ironically I rarely received feedback on my EQ columns but I get so much email and response from the writings I do now for various publications that it is confirmation that writing from the heart is the only way to go.

You are a very insightful lady. Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2002 at 10:35am
Don`t forget most of the worlds hair feaks, and yes I include myself in that group, can be found on this site. Though there are hundreds of us, most normal (lol) people, IMO, would find characters difined by hair quite silly.
Olivia Chillia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olivia Chillia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2002 at 10:37am
Bess,

I think you have a great idea. It is classic deconstruction. (Sorry. I am starting to spill over into lit theory...) For those still wondering: Deconstruction is where a text sets up binary oppositions or stereotypes (light and dark, black and white, good and evil, etc.) and collapses the oppositions. In Woody Allen`s "The Purple Rose of Cairo" the world of the movie the heroine watches and the real world bleed into one another, with characters crossing over to participate in one another`s worlds.

Here are the hair/color stereotypes I can think of off the bat:

Red hair: passion, fire, short temper, temptress

Blonde hair: shallow personality OR extreme innocence and purity

Brown hair: plain, stable, ordinary

Black hair: evil, temptress

Blue eyes: innocence

Of course, judging a character by his or her hair (as you are planning to point out) is as silly as always casting a soprano in the heroine`s role in an opera. Silly, but it is done out of convention.

One avenue of pursuit that may help in your hair stereotypes quest would be old movies. Some quite clearly violate stereotypes, but many play happily along with them. Also, if you`re up to the heavy reading, Shakespeare`s dark sonnets and more traditional examples of the Petrarchan sonnet will help set up some traditional stereotypes. (Try Sonnets 127 and 130 for starters.)

Have you seen Bedazzled? It could also be quite eye-opening about appearance stereotypes, both perpetuating and deconstructing them.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2002 at 2:04pm
Truth is... none of that really is the truth at all lol.

But I guess if we`re sterotyping:

Long Blonde: angelic

Long brown: innocent

Long black: witchy

short blonde: child-like

red heads: I think there sorta of mysterious... spontaneous kind of people.

lol I guess we all have different opinions. No one is exactly right.
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic