Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my parents hate my long hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 2:50pm
Vineman

I, for one, would love to live in a society where people are not judged by their appearance.

Observing the natural world, animals within a sub-species look mostly the same.
Although we are also animals (mammalians) we are more. Our brains are blessed with the gift of intellect and creativity.
These things differentiate humans from animals, and I can add sense of humour and compassion to that list.

Personally, I love the cycles of nature. I value the transitions each human goes through in terms of growing up - puberty, menopause, ageing - all the various stages of life are transformative. We are all work-in-progress.

I also feel that the creative energy of humans, when applied to external "art" and to themselves in their experimentation and choice of dress/self-modification/etc. is a magnification of that special gift of creativity.
It is a natural and healthy thing.
I do not and will not draw any stock conculsions as to what the individual behind the persona is like/what they think, etc.
I know many people who look like a stereotypical whatever and are actually wonderful, talented, respectful, deep-thinking and caring.
The un-thinking elements in society may judge these very same people - by their appearance - as deviant, violent, dependent on hand-outs, drugged, lazy and useless.

Society is complex because it is made up of individuals and groups with differing, sometimes conflicting ideas and beliefs. Society is also simple (simplistic?) in it's near zero tolerance of difference. It is insensitive to anything or one that doesn't idolize and comply with the mass hallucination that it is the only "reality" possible to us, and that it provides the only model for human progress.

My concluding advice to you is this: Be yourself without compromise. Your appearance is yours and not the property of others unless you so choose.

For if you join the brigade that serves conformity, you may pay a high price that no one tells you about. Eventually, you reach mid-life (or later) realizing that the sacrifice you made in order to earn the good opinions of others, has cost you your creative soul, your self-esteem and your inner integrity.

Just my humble subjective opinion based on my limited life experience.

Take care.

Uzma
Uzi

wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 3:35pm
Parents have the responsibility to provide for the child they chose to give life to, but not the right to take that child's expression away.

Alot of love and support goes a long way.

Uzma, what you said touched me to the core... about the sacrifice made in order to please others having a price. I lived that price, and perhaps this is why in my 25 years of being a parent I worked hard at being understanding, fair, and not dictative. Supportive, corrective, and offering guidance... always.

My kids learned from me and their own choices. Sometimes the life lessons do hurt. Yet we are all very close. We don't agree on all things. That's okay. I love each one, and each son is so different from the next. They all grew to who they are today, and hopefully are continuing to grow.

My second oldest son dressed in a way sometimes that could have brought embarrassment to me... but I valued him as a person more than the stranger's glances or look of disapproval. He "found" himself in time, and it wasn't for me to dictate how he was to find himself. That would have only brought interference and distraction to him and perhaps delayed his personal growth.

Today he is a starving musician. Very talented. Sense this is a hair board I will mention that he has the most wonderful long curly hair. He has beautifully done tatoos. (I dislike tattos, but some are truly works of art). He is a gentle soul that would give you his coat and shirt even if it were his last.

I try not to judge, but I do. Because sometimes when I see a super clean cut kid (like one of my son's) who is simulating their parents ways, I think there are deeper issues involved and that there is really a passive rebellion going on. Still waters run deep, very deep sometimes.

Just my thoughts,
wittils

Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 5:01pm
I don't think anyone is telling Vineman he can't do what he wants. And of course there is a huge amount of variety and individuality in western society, including in hair and fashion.

What I, and others like Jacqui and Brent are pointing out, is that if you go too much to an extreme there are consequences you have to deal with, that is obvious. That is all we are basically saying.

But the kid will find out for himself how far he can take things.

Also one of the most common forms of conformity there is, is the conformity of "non-conformity", or being contrary to the "straight, adult" world. You know, like when you are a kid, if they tell you that you can't do something, then you will do it just to prove to them that you can do it. The "contrary thing". The conformity of "non-conformity".

The idea of; "Well if my parents or my boss tell me I can't look outrageous, then I will try to look as outrageous and bizarre as I can look". There is a desire of many young people( and some older people), to be contrary to authority or the "straight, adult" people of society, the so-called "conformists". There is this idea that the grownup world "forces" us to conform and won't let us look any way we want to look, no matter what.

Most people outgrow that phase and realize that the "Straight, adult" world isn't denying you your individuality, you can wear many different fashions or hairstyles, but some styles and fashions are too over the top for many people to accept.

The same is true with behavior. If you have a glass of wine with dinner it is socially acceptable in most countries. If you drive drunk or shoot Heroin and become an addict, it is not accepted.

In how we look and behave there are limits. Only a fool would think there are no limits.

But the kid will find out for himself what he can and can't get away with, and when you have to pay the bills,( especially if you have kids who are depending on you), it changes everything. And being a "non-conformist" (who in their own way are conformists), becomes less important and you find ways to express your individuality without going too much to an extreme, an extreme that in fact might not be accepted where you work or in your relationships.
Lady Maria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 5:29pm
Uzma,

Modern western societies accept almost any kind of behavior and fashion style, from every kind of sexuality to any kind of fashion, to almost any kind of behavior. There are even groups trying to legalize not only gay and lesbian marriages but much more extreme things like pedophlia! There has never been, and I'm sure you know this if you know history, a society so extremely individualistic as modern western societies. We are liberal and individualistic to the extreme compared to most countries on earth,(including Muslim societies) and more liberal than most societies throughout history! Just about any kind of lifestyle has advocacy groups these days. It just about is "anything goes".

Individualism to the extreme and everyone trying to be "contrary" isn't any more healthy than the opposite; like a strict religious state like the clerics in Iran impose on people, an ideology that rules by strict religious rules and that makes all women clothe themselves in a long black dress and headscarf, and many other rules everyone is expected to obey.

Like I believe Brent said at one point on this website, the problem with western countries isn't the lack of individuality or "liberals", we have that everywhere. With us it is more the opposite. Everyone, not only in fashion, but in many ways, is individualistic often to an extreme.

I believe there has to be a balance between individual liberty and the common good. In regards to fashion you just have to use your common sense in any given situation and use your human brain to be able to discriminate and make distictions of what is acceptable and what isn't in any given situation.

THAT is what seperates humans from the other animals; our ability to judge, analysize, and at times use our discretion and to discriminate according to the circumstance.

Animals don't judge people by their fashion , humans do! That is one of our traits, along with compassion and many other traits of humans.
If someone smells bad or looks outrageous or is talking extremely loud and obnoxious, or whatever, we judge them and we discriminate. That is something humans have allways done and probably will allways do. It is part of our intelligence as humans.

You have to know that there are limits and you use your human intelligence in any given situation to try to figure it out. We do this in many ways, every day. It is parrt of our intelligence and the human condition.
Lady Maria
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 5:50pm
I think the conformity of non-conformity is undoubtedly true of certain groups. Group identification offers a safe identity. Herd instinct again. Necessary for survival some would say.

However, there is also the process of self-actualization which by it's intensely personal nature and by it's very definition is non-conformist.
This is the individual expressing their true, unique nature from the inside out.

As children and teenagers we embrace this expansive growth in fits and starts and stumble through it with periods of rebellion, despair, breakthroughs of understanding and the development of identity. We develop our ideal(ized) vision of the self and sometimes it is like a need to truly breathe and desperately so.

As we approach adulthood, we are systematically taught that we must see ourselves through the eyes of others and their sense-based and appearance-biased judgements.
Survival in society (we are told) is based on the acceptance of others and they will not accept us unless we adjust our outerselves to their vision of
respectability and acceptability.

BANG goes the inner vision of ourself.
Something is stunted, harmed, distorted, hidden away and in some cases, permanantly lost.

Society does not even acknowledge it's existence in the first place - it doesn't give it a name - so eliminating it from the conscious thought of the individuals that make up the masses.

It is the individuals relationship with themselves that society hijacks.
That clear true voice of the evolving human is overshadowed and overcome by the needs of society that requires numbed, fearful, trivial pawns to play it's game and fuel it's machine.

The machine (they say) provides our food, occupation...all our needs....and it's the only way. It is honourable and respectable to function as part of this system that has deprived you of your evolving, actualizing spirit.

Is it? Really?
Uzi

Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 6:41pm
Uzma, my dear Uzma:

Please!!!

I know I am not inwardly deprived or distorted because I sometimes have conformed to the greater society,.... including , I might add......., in the way I look. I would assume Maria hasn't lost much of her inner self either considering how opinionated and feisty she seems to be.......(Does that remind you of someone Uzma???)
Actually Uzma I can see your point of view it is not good to judge people by how they look too much. But I have to be honest with you Uzma, I judge people every day. The San Fransisco Bay area has many qualities that I truly love but there are many high crime areas here and I judge people who look like young punks or criminals. California is saturated with such characters and each year many, many, very many, people get their cars stolen , get robbed, sometimes much worse than that. We have got plenty of crime.
Very rarely is a middle aged "normal" looking guy like me the perpetrator of the crime. It is usually the ill-mannered, weird-looking or gangster looking punks in the 14 to 30 year old age group that are into crime........Am I generalizing?, of course, my life could depend on it! .... Could I be killed by a clean cut looking 40 year old, or even an old long-haired hippie dude??,..... Perhaps, but the odds are against it.

Not to mention the fact that I can't stand rap music and some of the other teenage racket. I don't stop my kids from listening to it, but they don't listen to it when I'm around, (and the good thing is they are not all that much into rap anyway, thank the Lord! )...they can listen to rubbish on their own time. .......They can also dress or wear their hair however they like when they grow up, move out and pay their own way. Until then:... their mother, myself, and their step-mom lay down the law.

You are quite the lady Uzma, in many, many ways I respect you and get a kick out of you, but I am just not as nice a person or as liberal as you are. I judge people every day.
The way I figure it, there are 6 billion people on earth, 7 million in the San Francisco Bay area. Most of them I will never know and never care to know or have time to know. Yeah I judge people.... I have time for some people, even intelligent people who disagree with me like you Uzma!,... but others I just don't have time for, and I don't feel the least bit inwardly or outwardly deprived!!! Not in the least!!!

Oh yeah, as far as reality being a mass hallucination, it often seems like it, doesn't it,..... until this reality hits you upside the head with a two by four!!!..... Like when you are victimized by a crime ...or have to listen to racket coming from your neighbor's stereo at 4 a.m......, or even when you lose a job or can't get a job because you won't conform to this terrible godawful system we have created! !!
Reality to me isn't a mass hallucination, it is simply everyone judging everyone else, taking stuff they know from their experience and their instincts into account. .......It really is nasty sometimes isn't it, kinda mean too. ....Ouch!!
Still I usually like most humans, even the conforming squares.....Am I a conforming square?? Good question.

Have a very good evening .
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 7:15pm
Brent

I would like to think I know where you are coming from.
We have gang-related crime in London and it's on the increase. And gang members have a uniform that makes them identifiable to each other and society at large.
I find the whole gang scene infantile and barbaric. I do not think these are individuals in a state of personal evolution (I'm being deliberately judgemental and generalising now), rather they are an example of extreme conformists.
They have sold-out on that intellectual discrimination Maria spoke of for a collective identity that provides them with pseudo-pride and pseudo-achievement.
It is false because it is destructive, parasitic and harmful to others.
Yes, there are limits - to behaviours - not appearances.

London appears to be a fairly tolerant place in terms of individual expression. But those with even marginally different views are pretty thoroughly sifted out of the mainstream.

On a recent thread on this board, (posted by Kir), a young aspiring lawyer in the UK cut her long hair, against her own wishes, because she perceived a clear message that it wasn't professionally acceptable.
This is an indication of the social attitudes that I am taking a stance against.
I would question how much this society is free and liberal and indulgent of expressions of individuality. In my experience, people are brought into "line" subtly at first and then through manipulation and finally through punishment.

Admittedly, there are a greater number of tribal, class, etc. groups in the West than in the culture-bound traditionalist societies of the East (another gross generalisation on my part).
This is due to political and social causes (immigration, larger population, nuclear units and the promotion of "lifestyles" to accompany certain viewpoints and make money out of them).
Looking at this one could easily mistake this diversity of groups as the rise of individualism.
Scratch beneath the surface and the facade shatters.

Good evening to you too, Brent.

Take care

Uzma
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 8:56pm
I'm amazed Uzma that a woman can't wear her hair long and be a professional, like a lawyer in Britian!

In America, at least every place I have been here, you see women professionals all of the time in business, science, law,etc. who have long hair, some of them with very long hair, and you see many women with short hair too, some like me, with quite short hair. Hair length on women doesn't seem to matter at all in the U.S., assuming the woman has clean hair.

I'm amazed that a woman can't wear long hair in the U.K., I never knew that. Are you sure that is true everywhere in Britian?

In America in fact many places of employment like long hair on women, there are many traditional people here that like it better than short hair on women, although short hair on women is pretty well accepted too.
With men it is a bit different. You do see long haired guys working in business, they usually tie their hair back in a ponytail, but most men in business wear their hair medium or short in length.
With blue collar guys, or guys who run their own business like the guy I'm with, they can wear their hair however they want pretty much.

What I think I was refering to was more of the "teenage punk" look or the "criminal" look.

America is pretty free however, regarding hair length.

In the professions women are expected to wear a dress or a nice pants suit, but that doesn't bother most professional women, they like to dress classy like that anyway it makes them feel sharp and professional. Guys usually wear a suit or a sports coat, some jobs require ties too but many don't nowadays. There are some rules about it, but it isn't bad, really there is quite a bit of flexibility and variety allowed.

As far as us not being free to be individuals, I can't speak for you but I do pretty much what I like in life. I watch the movies and T.V. shows I like, I listen to the music I like, I am marrying the guy I want to, even though he is a different ethnic group than me(he is of Northern European heritage, and you know I am of Mexican heritage), I wear my hair quite short ,(true I don't have green hair or shave my head but I have no desire to do that). I do pretty much what I want. I don't feel at all like society forces me to do anything unless I was to really get outrageous in my look or behaviour, which I don't feel like doing anyway.

And I believe Americans do have the lifestyles they want. Look at the gay/lesbian thing. Most people are hetrosexual in America and being a religious society most people aren't thrilled about homosexuality, but homosexuals work and pretty much live their lifestyle the way they want to, at least in the major cities. They even have political groups in both major political parties and have their own nightclubs, pubs, coffeeshops where mostly, but not exclusively, gays and lesbians go, and they are mostly employed and many of them are rich! Would that be possible in most non-western societies?
I'm not thrilled about the gay/lesbian thing, especially their political influence, but I accept it, I accept their right to do what they like. It is true they haven't been granted formal marriages but they do have " domestic partnership" rights in many states which is legally like a marriage, they can inherit wealth, share benefits,etc.. That is extremelly liberal! How many non-western countries would accept that? In most countries they still believe gays and lesbians should be boiled in oil or something.

That is just one example, there are many other examples of how America, Britian and the West are far more tolerant of individuality and different lifestyles and fashions than most countries.

Compare us in North America or Western Europe to East Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, Africa, many parts of Asia, we ARE MORE LIBERAL, obviously.

And it isn't just because of ethnic diversity and immigration either. A huge percentage of Latin Americans come from immigration. They have alot of ethnic diversity. They have Spanish, Portugese, Germans, Italians, Black Africans, various types of Native Indians, many mixed race people. They even have recent immigrants from East Europe and Japan and Korea. They are very diverse. But their culture is quite traditional, more than the U.S.. I have been to Mexico it is like the more conservative parts of the rural American Midwest or South in most parts of Latin America. Oh sure Mexico City and a few other big cities there have liberal neighborhoods, but generally Latin America is very conservative.

And as I understand it by talking with Arab and Asian immigrants, the Middle East and Asia are even more conservative than Latin America. The U.S. and West Europe is very liberal by comparison, even if there is some limits imposed on us.

I don't know about you Uzma but I pretty much do what I feel like doing, I feel very much like an individual and I think you can tell by my writings that I express how I feel on various subjects. I'm sorry you feel restricted in the U.K. but are you sure some of these restrictions you aren't putting on yourself? I have been told by people from the U.K. or Americans who have visited there, that they felt quite free there, that in many respects it was like being in the U.S..

I didn't realize you feel so restricted! No wonder you are fighting myself and Brent so hard on this board! I suppose you think we are somehow trying to restrict you too, in some way!

Well I assure you Uzma I DO NOT want to restrict you and I for sure won't tell you to cut your hair if you don't want to!

I am sorry if you feel like I am trying to restrict you, I am not!

God bless Uzma!
Lady Maria
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 5:45am
Oh Maria

You are soooo sweet.
I don't feel restricted by having open discussions with people who have a different viewpoint - yourself and Brent. On the contrary, I find it a good exercise in developing and refining new and old ideas. It's great tonic for the mind!!!

Britain is a much smaller place than the US - and not just in terms of land mass.
The national temperament is different and, until recently, immigration was either from the Indian sub-continent or from the Carribean. These groups came to form the under-class.
Much time has passed and there has been a certain degree of integration between the immigrant and host communities.........OK. I'm not going there...that's a whole new can of worms and will take us way off the primary subject of this thread.

Society/the media/the government (generalist terms) tries to control the masses.
Where crime is concerned, this is right.
Where the indivdual's identity, self-development and appearance is concerned, this is wrong.

When parents fear the opinions of society at large, they naturally try to protect their kids from the prejudice they may face by teachers, employers, their peers, etc.
Unwittingly, perhaps, the parents become "social police" and the children become subject to restrictions of various sorts.

I will reiterate that disciple is very important.
A child must be shown the fruits of discipline and how/why it can/should become self-disciplined as part of it's growth into adulthood.
However, lets not confuse rational discipline with irrational control.

I have both witnessed and experienced parental/partner control as an extension of social control.
Parenting is itself a growth experience and pretty exahusting.
Both parents and kids should be able to get though their respective growing pains and emerge stronger and wiser.
I hope this is generally the case. Sometimes the opposite is true.

Sometimes those that are severely controlled become abusers and end up victimizing others. That is the language they have learned at their parent's feet. They have learned that brutal control of another human being is the only way love is expressed. I am now talking about the extremes (which are becoming more common in my environment) of warped behaviours. A spirit is not permitted to blossom and bear fruit - so there is no way it will allow another to grow and express itself. It is too painful to behold. A reminder.

I'm just trying to support those with whom I empathize. Those that have been subject to the indignity of control as children, teenagers and adults. I sincerely hope that I am empathizing with a minority of humanity. However, we all need voices to speak up for us.

Take care

Uzma
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 6:36pm
Uzma,

I understand what you are saying.

God bless Uzma!
Lady Maria
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 11:29am
Here,Here! Uzma! I could not agree with you more. Although I do agree that out of mutual respect, a parent has earned the right to have a say in their child's appearance, and the child has a responsability to his/her parents to show respect for this. I do not believe in using control as a means to entrap someone into loving you. I am a direct recipient of this type of treatment and know how it can suck the life out of you. I no longer allow myself to be taken there and as a result, have been able to change my relationships with those who did this. But it was a hard road and the years leading up to it were black. I exaggerate - grey.
Anyway - What you're saying is true - parenting is a long, hard road. I think it is best to lead with the laws of nature and God, Allah, Buddha. I don't believe appearance is anywhere in there - only good acts. I don't think that looks will hold you back if you are intrinsically good and a doer of great things. It will only close doors in places where narrow minds live. Maybe you don't want to be there anyway. Like I mentioned before. It is the ATTITUDE behind the huge changes in appearance that I am afraid of. I hope to guide my kids away from that.
I don't feel that changing the way you look in order to get a place in the world is a sellout. Most extremely different people are beyond that anyway. Do you think Van Gogh looked any different than the average Joe? He was brilliant and different inside (insane I might add! that is neither here nor there). OK - maybe the ear was a bit different - bad example.
What about Steven king? A more insanely different ******* could not exist! He doesn't need physical expression to show this.
I myself am extremely different - inside(in my personality) I have wild hair and tattoos...but I am also practical enough to know that no matter how many different colors of hair I have or tattoes I put on, I could never be as different as I already am.
I think our kids will eventually learn this too. If given the chance.

jacqui

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 6:38pm
Interesting points you make Jacqui!
Lady Maria
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic