Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Extensions for thick wavy hair, least damage? Pics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extensions for thick wavy hair, least damage? Pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aechain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aechain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extensions for thick wavy hair, least damage? Pics
    Posted: May 24 2007 at 5:55pm
I have thick, naturally wavy hair. I tend to dye it alot. Here it isss

Sorry for the high contrast, they're pictures little sisters have photoshopped to death but you can still see the hair.

I want to get extensions this summer, waist length maybe? Something like this.

haha. But I don't want my hair to be damaged when I take them out, I want this to be a temporary thing. I don't want to go from pretty and big and thick to thin and damaged, you know? It makes me nervous.

What "method" should I use to get the look I want, that won't hurt my hair, and that I can take out and go right back to au natural?

Thanks much in advance. I guess let me know if you need more info?

malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 6:43pm
You have gorgeous hair! Get clip ins if you want to change it up.

BunnyWabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnyWabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 6:45pm
I agree your hair is BEAUTIFUL! I'd go for clip-ins as well. If you wanted something a little longer lasting, maybe tapes or liquid gold, but if you want to play with colors or anything I'd fo with clip-ins. Also hair that long, coupled with your own thick hair, will probably be a pain to deal wth in the summer heat and summer time activites. 
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 6:49pm
wow your hair now looks great on you, very pretty
but sure waist length is GLAM!Smile
for kinda-sorta temporary ,yet securely attached, and non damaging i'd say to look into protac-installing wefts with tapes
here's a tutorial:

http://shrinkies.net/protacdemo.html

i dont know what your hair-buying budget is, i've had good results with body wave and french refined (my last french refined hair was a bit too curly though)...for decently priced hair that has a good reputation for not turning to crap right away, the best prices i know of out there right now are:

www.jetsetextensions.com

and for Bohyme hair, good prices/best color choices:
www.superhairfactory.com
www.hairsisters.com
www.ebonyline.com

good luck to you and your hair!
lotta talkin 'bout hair n other stuff: http://www.diyextensions.net/
aechain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aechain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 11:43pm
Thanks for the replies. :)

To me it seems that clip ins would be very noticable and unnatural looking, just because there's a bulky metal clip? Is the clip noticable? Do they actually stay in until you take them out? I was thinking of something a little more permanent I guess, but if clips are the only thing I can wear without damaging my hair I sposee that will have to do. Are braid or sew in extensions an incredibly bad idea, or very expensive?

I guess I'm just at a loss. There's so much information here, I just don't know how to find what I need. ha. thanks much, again.
cat_goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat_goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 1:40pm
Hi aechain!
Welcome to our obsession!

Your hair is gorgeous, so you definitely don't want to ruin it. I have hair about your length, but it's fine (lots of of it though) and wavy. A lot like yours actually. I have had wonderful success with the protac method with a bit of liquid gold for reinforcement. Except now I use supertape, which holds for 4 weeks or longer. I found protac breaking down and getting gooey after only a couple of weeks.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE supertape. I can wash and condition alllllll my hair - even the bonds and they don't fall out! I'm a complete convert altough its a bit annoying to work with. Totally worth the extra patience though. I wouldn't use the clip ins. I tried them and I found the clips pulled my hair out and hurt - and they looked a bit fake. I haven't tried the shrinkies or any of the other methods, I'm happy with the tape.

Anyway, definitely follow nursies advice and use the protac demo link. That is how I learned to do my own extensions and it really is sooooo easy, especially once you get the hang of it. The tape (even the supertape) (which you can purchase from www.truetape.com) comes out super easily with an oil based remover. I don't have any issue with the citrus remover at all, although some users find it a bit harsh. I have sensitive skin and I thought for sure I would react to it, but I don't. You can also use olive oil, although I personally find it takes them longer to come out using olive oil. It's a nice conditioning treatment for your hair though! I have found the protac to be very non-damaging and my hair has bounced back beautifully when I take out my bonds.  As a note of warning - you will experience some hair loss but DON'T PANIC. I had a major panic one night after taking out my bonds - I thought I had lost a lot of hair (I saw it going down the drain in the shower) and ended up in silent tears. However, once my hair was dry, I realized it was just the natural hair loss from 2 weeks of wearing my extensions. I also have learned to be very patient and never ever tug on my hair when I'm taking them out.

It really is a matter of taking all the advice on the forum and trying out methods that work best for you. I, like you, felt like I was overwhelmed with information when I first started. I just tried the tape and different kinds of hair until I found something that worked for me. I'm now addicted (my husband accuses me of having a love affair with my extensions) but I've got it down 30 - 45 mins to get the tracks done and 40 mins to install.

Finally, as nursie suggested, I would also suggest you buy good quality hair. I've tried everthing from wawa & elite thermo to indian remi, and I'm sticking with the indian remi. I found a great supplier on ebay. Actually, I owe everyone here an update on my latest install with pics!

Good luck!!! Everyone here on the forum is wonderful and I'm sure you'll find you'll be a pro in no time!

stargazer026 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stargazer026 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 1:06am

Id go with weaving this site shows you how its done http://www.hairextensions.com.au/html/howitsdone.html,

or with clip ons hair extentions.....

Edited by stargazer026 - May 27 2007 at 1:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic