Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cutting hair for a million dollars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cutting hair for a million dollars?
    Posted: June 05 2003 at 7:32am
Jennifer, you sound like a skating fan! Do you skate as well? I'm madly in love with the sport. When you mentioned long hair on ice, I immediately thought of Maria Annissina, part of the French ice dancing pair that won Olympic gold in SLC. She has bright red hair halfway down her back and almost always wears it down. Of course you'll never see that in singles/pairs because they're doing lifts, spins and jumps, unlike dancers, so she can get away with it. However her hair always looks curiously pinned to the sides of her head--I think she has some mega-hold product in it to keep the length tucked behind the ears. I actually prefer skating with long hair because short tends to flop in the face--annoying when you're on a public rink and you run the risk of obliterating small children while skating backwards.

My point to all this being....if you really want long hair (like Annissina) there are ways to work around it to fit your profession.

Originally posted by Jennifer Jennifer wrote:

Dave, with Celine's bank account, you'd think she might be able to afford a few hair accessories!

There are figure ice skaters who have long hair, and absolutely it can be a health hazard! The solution is simply securing it back; it isn't that difficult...

It sounds like she just wanted short hair. And there's nothing wrong with that!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 7:59pm
I agree with you Jennifer. It sounds like she just wanted short hair now, and that the reasons offered were simply to appease the public's interest in her haircut.

What struck me as odd was a seeming indifference to giving her fans what they might want. Perhaps the contract was written such that she was going to make a ton of money no matter what. The Dateline NBC report did say that the show was booked solid for several months. She must have a lot of die-hard fans.

Well, IMO it's a terribly unflattering look but it is her prerogative how she wears her own hair, after all... why should she care what I think?
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 1:57pm
Dave, with Celine's bank account, you'd think she might be able to afford a few hair accessories!

There are figure ice skaters who have long hair, and absolutely it can be a health hazard! The solution is simply securing it back; it isn't that difficult...

It sounds like she just wanted short hair. And there's nothing wrong with that!
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 1:30pm
Yes, I hate reading things about Babys and work and stuff. It's your hair! You will regret it if you cut it against your will.

I hate it when people ask "would you shave your head for charity?" And they act like oh you don't care about the children or whatever. Well, I think that's its them who don't they just want to see somone loosing an important part of themselves and becoming another drone.
If everyone cut their hair for charity there'd be no long hair! There is a million other better things you can do for charity than shave your head.

Messy as it is, I'm never having my hair any short that it is now. I wouldn't mind if I could enjoy it below chin length, but it's too damn messy and it needs to grow to be weighed down.

I think that it is silly cutting your hair for a baby, I mean do you think the baby cares if you spent a few extra minutes doing something you enjoy your own way? You're not going to be tending to the child every single minute of the day, and I expect she'll always get the same time getting "styled up" before her concerts anyway.
Hair should be considered just a past time in many ways. You shouldn't let babies, and ESPECIALLY not work get in the way. Why do people spend so long tending to babies when they're really going to need it when they're teenagers, which is when they get ignored? I'm not saying you should be cruel to a child, but nonetheless having long hair isn't going to get in it's way, and having even just a quarter of an hour to quickly fix up hair isn't going to bother the child, especially if there's another parent to take care of it.

It sounds like a petty excuse, she probably was offered $1million, she just wanted the money.

I never thought about the hair extensions thing! Short hair on a guy is way too short to put extensions on though.
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 1:14pm
I don't think I'd cut my hair for anything... it's not even that long but I want it to be as long as possible as soon as possible.

Ask them this: You you give up an eye for a million dollars?
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Another reason she gave was that she has a baby and wanted to focus as much attention as possible on her baby, and didn't want to have stylists fuss over her hair for hours before shows.

i'm getting tired of that excuse with babies. depending on what type of hair you have short hair can be just as time comsuming. also when women complain they cut their hair because the baby pulls their hair. a baby is going to pull short or long hair. if your hair is long hanging down it's easier for the baby to pull. if you are playing and handling a baby, the baby pulls on top long or short.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 8:01pm
Hi Jennifer,

I recently posted about Celine:

"Celine Dion was interviewed on "Dateline NBC" by Maria Shriver. She asked, "so, what about the haircut?" Celine's answer was (paraphrased, from memory): "During part of the show I am flying, and the hair would get caught up in the wires. Also, the stage leans forward, and it would force my
head forward, and my hair would fall into my face."

Another reason she gave was that she has a baby and wanted to focus as much attention as possible on her baby, and didn't want to have stylists fuss over her hair for hours before shows.

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 7:19pm
A pixie? Isn't she real thin? I haven't seen her, but I have a feeling that she looks a lot older than she really is. I wonder why she cut her hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 6:06pm
it's in a short pixie style i guess is what you call it.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 4:27pm
I'm only vaguely familiar with Celion Dion. How much hair did she cut? The great news about long hair is that we have more to sacrifice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Jennifer Jennifer wrote:

Would I cut off five inches for a million dollars? Yes!

You didn't specify how much.....

how much hair? if so like celion dion did
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 12:24am
Would I cut off five inches for a million dollars? Yes!

You didn't specify how much.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 4:48pm
hold on brent that comment is not fair and rude. i started this thread as i said before is to have fun. not if you cut your hair for a million dollars to help people. that's a whole different story and i'm sure everyone would agree. we doing find until you started in. if you think the long hair support board is silly or has silly topics then don't post here starting a debate.
is that a fair thing to say dave since you are the moderater?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 1:32pm
Oops, that got posted twice. Sorry!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 1:32pm
Hi Karen--thanks for looking for the pretty bun accessory. Don't feel like you have to knock yourself out though--Lord knows I have plenty of hair toys already! I appreciate your help, as always! :-)
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 10:37am
Hi Lyris, Isla, Uzma et al,

You are all soooooooo right about this topic. Ack. I have so many problems with email & messageboards on a number of fronts. On one side I have to be careful not to take emails I receive or posts to me the wrong way (and I get hundreds of emails every day for every reason from soliciting money to hair advice to business stuff) and then I have to be careful what I write in my emails back.

You guys should just see some of the Customer Service emails we get and some of the private emails I get. I think it is because people lose sight of the fact that other people can be hurt by flippant words in email that would never be said over the phone or in person. I wish I could publish an anonymous book of the emails. Geez. I am always totally amazed.

I am especially careful about what I post on any messageboards anywhere because Lyris you are 1000% correct that sometimes people are just posting tongue-in-cheek (and we don't have a symbol for that one) or they are just enjoying the potential for discussion and not really serious. Or intending any harm or meanness.

As Dave Decker, Jen Bahney, Jeff and many who know me personally will tell you, in person or on the phone I am humorously sarcastic. However, that is hard to translate sometimes into words. So I try to be careful about that in my emails and posts.

So yes, it is important for everyone to remember that unless you can hear a person on the phone or see their face, it is wise to not overreact.

Anyway...a long winded reply to a basic statement that I agree. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen

PS. Lyris I have not forgotten about you and am still trying to pin down that stylist about the bun accessory. I have left her 2 voice and 2 emails and she has not gotten back to me. But I will preserve until I get an answer. ;-)

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 7:16am
Isla and Uzma, you're right and that's exactly the reason I don't get into political/philosophical/moral discussion on this site. Without the nuance of facial expression, vocal intonation and body language meaning can become obscured to the point of vast misunderstanding. I limit myself to hair talk--not because I haven't opinions on society, who doesn't?--but because the written word alone on an anonymous board can fuel misconceptions.

That said, I don't at all discourage those of you who do venture into that realm--it is entertaining (in a good way) to read your frank thoughts and especially to see opinions from those of all colors, nationalities and backgrounds. Thanks for sharing.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 4:20am
You're right Isla.
What we also need is a "I'm being deadly serious" icon, if such a thing exists.

Apologies if I have offended anyone.

Uzma
Uzi

Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 3:41am
Originally posted by Brent Brent wrote:

PLEASE!!!
What I'm writing is a little tongue in cheek, can't you tell???

No! That's the problem with words on paper (or on a screen), there's no intonation, and therefore often misinterpreted.

I have seen this happen before on this board with other people. Someone makes a rather strong statement, someone else replies, disagreeing, and the statement person replies it's just a little tongue in cheek, and tells the replyer to lighten up.

Just be clear in what you're trying to say! And if needed, use one of those smiley thingies.
minnieme View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnieme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 3:04am
sure.. for a half a million i would cut it to my shoulders.. for a million i would go for a buzz cut and just buy a wig and viviscal and hair vitamins to make it grow back faster and healthier. it would be doing me a favour, my hair is so trashed, damaged, and knotted up all the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic