Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beautiful hair! - What have you learnt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beautiful hair! - What have you learnt?
    Posted: September 13 2002 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

Hi Kaycee.......good post. Here is what I have learned:

1.) Learn to read ingredient lists on hair products.
2.) Only color your hair if you absolutely can't stand the existing hue--all semi-perm/perm color is damaging. If it didn't get inside the hair shaft by expanding it with an alkaline substance, it wouldn't work.
3.) Don't shampoo every day.
4.) Learn to read ingredient lists.
5.) Use heat sparingly and only when necessary.
6.) Do not use TEA-lauryl sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate or any one of a host of drying shampoo additives.
7.) Learn to read ingredient lists.
8.) Leave conditioner on as long as humanely possible.
9.) Forget what other people tell you to do with your hair and please yourself.
10.) Cut off split or frayed ends.
11.) Don't get a perm unless you are really, really sure you want it.
-and finally-
12.) Learn to read ingredient lists!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Hehe, well because of you - I do exactly the same. I read the ingredients of everything. I have to admit, I`ve found Photolgy`s range of shampoos, conditioners, masks etc to be excellent! They`ve made my hair in the most fantastic condition, ever. If that ever went out of production, I`d die!

I have my ends up, every 4-6 weeks. End of this month, it`ll be about 8 weeks (whoops). But, I`ll be getting my hair trimmed then.

I use a deep conditioning photolgy mask on my hair, once a week.

And I`ve barely used heat on my hair. As I said before, I`ve only used them at needed times and if I really have to dry my hair, I make sure it`s on cool setting on the dryer to dry my hair. More times than not, I let my hair air dry.

But, I think we`ve all learnt a lot. :)

xox
Kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2002 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by cindyp cindyp wrote:

Hey! What color is your natural hair? I've been having blonde highlights professionally done for a long time, and I'm seeking a (cheaper) alternative. How did the color look that you chose? I have medium brown hair, so lightening it without bleach wouldn't work, probably. Did you color it yourself?

Thanks!

cindy

Heya Cindy, my hair is probably the same color as yours to be honest, naturally. I found the bleaching job to be a tad expensive, time consuming etc. So, that`s why I gave it up.

I`ve chosed a dark blonde, and it`s come out gorgeously. And yeah, I had my Mom to help me, as she`s been doing her hair since she was like, 19 (she`s now 50 ;)

I just do my roots now, and that`s about it - and I`m considering to have a tint in a nice cooper color a little later, as streaks. As they`re less harming than bleach is on your hair. :)

I`m using L`oreals Open Color, it`s low Ammonia - I colored the whole of my head, and then had my hair cut. So all the dry split ends, went and now just concentrating on doing the roots and that is it. :)

Hope this helps!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 3:21pm
Hi Kaycee.......good post. Here is what I have learned:

1.) Learn to read ingredient lists on hair products.
2.) Only color your hair if you absolutely can`t stand the existing hue--all semi-perm/perm color is damaging. If it didn`t get inside the hair shaft by expanding it with an alkaline substance, it wouldn`t work.
3.) Don`t shampoo every day.
4.) Learn to read ingredient lists.
5.) Use heat sparingly and only when necessary.
6.) Do not use TEA-lauryl sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate or any one of a host of drying shampoo additives.
7.) Learn to read ingredient lists.
8.) Leave conditioner on as long as humanely possible.
9.) Forget what other people tell you to do with your hair and please yourself.
10.) Cut off split or frayed ends.
11.) Don`t get a perm unless you are really, really sure you want it.
-and finally-
12.) Learn to read ingredient lists!!!!!!!!!

:-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
cindyp View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 2:10pm
Hey! What color is your natural hair? I`ve been having blonde highlights professionally done for a long time, and I`m seeking a (cheaper) alternative. How did the color look that you chose? I have medium brown hair, so lightening it without bleach wouldn`t work, probably. Did you color it yourself?

Thanks!

cindy
Kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 1:16pm
After a month or so, my hair has finally come back into a really good condition.

I decided to give up having the blonde highlights with bleach, and used L`oreals Open Color (Harmoney) to put over my hair, to make it a dark blonde color. After I did that, I had it cut, up to my neck (eep!) took me a while to get used to it, and when I finally did - with the help of vitamins to help grow my hair.. it`s grown and looks thick, and nice.

I`ve been using Photology products, which are fantastic, my hairs naturally curly/wavy, so it`ll always be slightly frizzy after washing (bummer, I know), but their straightening balm, is fantastic! You can go out in humid climates, (like, over here in the UK after it rains it`s so ickly humid) and it doesn`t frizz at all!

I don`t use any heat products on my hair. Well, I haven`t done in months. And if I really do have to use the hairdryer, I`ll make sure it`s on cool setting. And the only other thing I use, which is really good, is ceramic hair straighteners - but I`ve used them once, when I had my hair cut (I`ll leave it, till it`s longer!)

So, what have I learnt?

1 - stick with 1 color, and just have the roots done
2 - don`t use heated products
3 - stick with products which *actually* work
4 - if decided to opt for highlights, have some light copper tints instead of bleach.

I, personally think, I`ve come a long way and learnt a lot. :) What has everyone else learnt?

P.S - I`m growing my hair now. And I still have the odd layers, but good conditioning has proved to be amazing on them. :D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic