Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie needs your opinion + help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by frenchie1 frenchie1 wrote:

Nice picture of Gwen Stefani! I made a quick search on this board to see pictures of Lacewig glued behind hairline and can't find any. Do you think BHM would have some?

I did a search myself on BHM on behind the hairline installs. I'm going to go and see if I can find it for you again. I know one of the more recent ones was by Phenomenal Joy...be right back
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:31pm
I did a quick search too. The website is kind slow though
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:43pm
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:55pm
I read these two already, it's funny! Thanks for looking for this though!Embarrassed
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 6:58pm
well i doing it behind the hairline takes another level of technique altho some have done it beautifully its a challenge.. so have you made any decisions yet?
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:03pm
I think I'll go with Rex, and I will use some Bohyme 16 and 14B and maybe 24, but I want to tone the hair and get rid of some red tones first.
I am tempted to go with a swiss lace, or swiss lace at the front and french everywhere else, with free parting.
I know I will want some highlights/lowlights, so I'll need a mix of at least 3 colors I am thinking. 

Edited by frenchie1 - April 08 2008 at 7:06pm
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:12pm

I think I'll go with Rex, and I will use some Bohyme 16 and 14B and maybe 24, but I want to tone the hair and get rid of some red tones first.
I am tempted to go with a swiss lace, or swiss lace at the front and french everywhere else, with free parting.
I know I will want some highlights/lowlights, so I'll need a mix of at least 3 colors I am thinking. 

sounds great i would start emailing him about this now, and asking him about a price for making it with you providing your own hair.. be sure to take your measurements 3 times or more to be exact..
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:22pm
Sure!
I want to do it this week end, when I have plenty of time!
I am curious to know how expensive a unit would be if I provide the hair!
If I want to wear my lacewig behind the hairline, I need different measurements though, right?

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 7:38pm
well i don't wear mine's behind the hairline so i don't know if you need to measure differently.. for me it defeats the purpose i want to nourish my natural hair and that would required glues or sewing in my hairline and that won't do for me.. but honestly there's always surprises with that first unit whether or not you get them correct and depending on the vendor as well.. i would not want to tell you or anyone else to shorten your measurements and then your unit be too small..nothing like that disappointment to get it and it doesn't fit, b/c after all they are custom made for you.. i've had the pleasure of that happening to me on my first order and it came up short, and i was soooooooooooo upset.. and actually i love the challenge of making mine's look perfect and very realistic all with the lacefront alone.. my pic is in the page 2  of the newbie thread.. in the natural part tip using the steri strips for my part..

edt: that's a virgin chinese remy that's over 2 years old, and its never had heat on it ever! its pasted the test of time..

Edited by sexibeach - April 08 2008 at 7:52pm
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 8:58pm
Yeah, I like the post you made about the steri strips, very creative! Did you do it because you had a problem with the unit or do you do this for most of your lacewigs?
zoom on this picture:
what scares me is how shiny the lace looks, it looks plasticky and doesn't have much hair to cover it at the hairline, that's kind of what want to avoid at any price...
I like to play around with hair too, and make my extensions as seamless as possible
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 9:06pm
actually when you part the hair it makes the grids of the lace appear more, especially if your knots are not bleached very well, and that's the problem more than the hairline, b/c the hairline can be dealt with with the baby hairs and cutting the lace back.. so that's why i had to find something to resolve that problem with parting the hair, and the steri strips did that b/c it make the grid of the lace disappear and it actually give an appearance of a real scalp..
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:02pm

I like your idea of placing the lacewig behind the hairline, but I haven't seen any video tutorial on yourtube about this, nor any pictures from HB members. If someone has a link for me about placing a lacewig behind the hairline, I'd love to you.
One concern with this method though: I would be afraid to damage my front hairline by gluing a wig on top of my front hair. It must be a lot of weight to have it glued to your own hair, not like a weave, so I wonder if it would be safe.
I know it would look super natural if I could do this though, we'll see!...Embarrassed

Hey Frenchie: Here's a link to the CLW website: http://californialacewigs.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index

Look at the pictures of the white female in the customer photo gallery that is displayed on the home page. That is JazzyGeri and she has her natural bangs out in the front of her unit. She goes by JazzyGeri on this board but her name is "Geri" on BHM. You can pm her to get info on how to apply your unit behind the hairline. She also has a link with more pictures of the same unit installed behind the hairline. She explained it to me once before but I honestly don't remember all the details of how she did it. HTH
fugee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:08pm
^ Amen, Geri gets an unbelievably realistic app behind the hairline, sometimes just using clips (I think).
fugee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by fakeizme fakeizme wrote:

Too cute. Love the waves and care-free feeling about it. Suits your personality.Smile

Thank you very much! There's something to be said for "human" hair that can be sealed with a lighter.  Sometimes I wonder if girls who do their micros with Remy hair walk around leaving a trail of individual braids behind them on the floor.  
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:27pm
Curly, thanks for posting that --- I know it's not even my thread, but that's a great link!
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:31pm
Oh Frenchie: I also wanted to make a note to tell you to watch the density when you order your unit. Unless you want big hair, I don't think you'll want to get like 100 % density, especially at the front! By the looks of how you wear your hair, I think you would want light to extra light density at the hairline, especially if you do wear it behind the hairline. Could be bulky otherwise. I'd love to know what the great ladies here have to say!Smile
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 1:19pm
Sexibeach, I understand. The part is trickier than the hairline, gotcha.
Do caucasian girls have a harder time hiding the grid of the lace? I have never been able to see it on 99% of the pics I have seen to far. The only times were.... well, Mister Travolta and the blonde lady from this link:

Another thing, the way I wear my hair naturally, since I was 14 years old is a little like this girl here:
I have a little sort of 'wave' in the front, so if the lace shows it's gonna be real ugly!
Makeup and little tricks like the steri strips can help I guess!

Curly, thanks for posting this. The only white girl I see from the customer pics gallery is a brunette but no bangs, so I don't know if she's the one you mentioned.

Fakeizme, thanks. I know I would want a light density in the front, then medium in the back. With tons of baby hair!Approve

fugee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 2:24pm

Do caucasian girls have a harder time hiding the grid of the lace?  

Not necessarily!  No matter what color your lace is, the lace is more visible on a surface that is darker than the lace than on a lighter surface.  You'll notice this the first time you go to work with a little scrap of lace clinging to your sexy black sweater.  

Another but much less hot way to notice this is to have 1b knots showing up the grid on your new unit.   

But this is a relative question since lace comes in so many different colors.  You definitely want the color of the lace to be lighter than the skin on your hand -- but not lighter than the skin on your scalp (or steri strip simulation) or your darker scalp will show up the lighter grid. 

HTH!

Edited by fugee - April 09 2008 at 2:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic