Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Age limit for long hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Age limit for long hair?
    Posted: August 25 2003 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by hairalways hairalways wrote:

Dave - I agree with everything you said and am respectful of the fact that we all have our different opinions - I never in any of my posts asked anyone to stop being themselves or to stop saying what they wanted - au contraire, I would rather leave the board than ask anyone to change.

But I guess i can hang out.

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui,

I'm glad you decided to continue to "hang out" here. I would rather nobody feel compelled to change or to leave.

Thank you for telling us how you derived your avatar. I like it. Creative. Much more so than my "borrowed" avatar. hmm.. I was thinking of replacing it with another "borrowed" image... maybe someday I'll put in something a bit more unique and creative.

Kateyez37, I like that you also have an illustration for your avatar. I wish you well on your goals! (I'm sure you'll make it!)

Lady Godiva, that is a great story! Not only was your minister's story perfectly told, I'm convinced he's a long hair fan.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2003 at 6:39pm
Lady Godiva - I enjoyed your story. Your ministers reflection was kind and insightful. Some people only look at others for faults.

Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2003 at 11:51am
Jacqui,
Im glad youve not gone away =) And thanks for the explaination of your drawing =) My hair is about .75 inches longer than when i first measured it...so .75 inches per month??? It will be longer soon enough I think...but yesterday i met a girl with hair just a bit shorter than mine was...but her hair was sooo thick and sooo dark...made me miss my long long hair =(

--Erin
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2003 at 1:12pm
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kateyez37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateyez37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2003 at 2:47pm
I'm 37, and am just now starting to grow my hair out. I plan on having waist-long hair when I'm 40+. :)
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2003 at 4:26am
Oh yeah, and the lady in my avatar comes from a pre-raphaelyte painting. I sketched during a little art class I was giving my sons and nephew this summer. After we learn about a particular style or movement in art, we get to try and draw, paint or mold anexample, either by original design or copy. She was a 5 minute sketch, but I loved her flowing hair with the flowers woven into it like lace.
Thanks.
jacqui
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 5:24am
Erinlynn and Laine,

I am so touched by both of your posts! I didn't know anyone cared really as I am not a consistent poster, only when I can gat on here. You are both the sweetest and I do enjoy reading your posts. Laine, I hope you are able to achieve the look of professionalism you want for your new career. Congrats on almost being complete!
Erinlynn - I am guessing your hair has probably grown an inch or two already huh? I saw a beautiful belly dancer when i was on vacation last week in Savannah, Georgia and thought of you. it really is a wonderful art form.

Thanks to you both for you comments.

Dave - I agree with everything you said and am respectful of the fact that we all have our different opinions - I never in any of my posts asked anyone to stop being themselves or to stop saying what they wanted - au contraire, I would rather leave the board than ask anyone to change.

But I guess i can hang out.

Jacqui
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2003 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Viktoria Viktoria wrote:

I am following this discussion with interest. It is obviously creating a lot of emotion. Of course, non of us, regardless of how we like to look, want to be judged by our appearances. But the outside does say something, and what people "hear" when they see us isn´t necessarily the same thing.

I've been enjoying this discussion, too. Regarding the snipped quote, sometimes it's nice when your appearance says "good" things about you. I'll never forget one time several years ago, I was participating in a series of theology classes at my church. Out of the blue in one class, the senior minister, who ran the series, gestured to me to make a point. He had been discussing patience and endurance as positive character qualities, and he noted aloud to the large gathering in the room that with my long hair, I surely must fully understand what both words mean, as hair such as I had (have) is evidence of long-term dedication and the ability to persevere. I was so touched, as I'd never reflected upon my hair as such, and his recognition of my long hair as a marker of patience and endurance was remarkable to me, because he is nearly bald. I loved the delightful irony, not that bald individuals can't comprehend those virtues, but just the hair angle, as I don't believe he ever had long hair. So often in life, people who have never had long hair have no clue how much effort it requires, and this goes even more for super long hair.

Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2003 at 10:05am
[QUOTE=DaveDecker] "We never want to be judged negatively. I would imagine that individually we wouldn't mind preferable prejudice, though."

Hi Dave! I´m not sure I follow you here. Do you mean that you want people to think "Oh, he has long hair, he must be interesting/have integrity/be entertaining"? I would imagine you do get that, a lot.
[QUOTE] "There are aspects of our appearance which are "discretionary," and those which are a given. People make false assumptions about both, perhaps less so to "discretionary" appearance factors. Although people do still sometimes ask me if I am in a rock band. (rolls eyes)"

Do you mean that there isn´t really that much I can do about the way people will judge me, according to their respecive predjudices? Like, to antisemites, my jewish-looking nose will always get in the way of long hair or a business suit?
[QUOTE] "I agree with you that maturity is critical. However, I do not think less of myself if/when others tell me that they dislike my hair. (Ironically, put-downs may actually build me -- not that I need it)."

Right, and that is because I presume you are a mature, healthily self-confident person. I don´t know if I can say that put-downs build me, or a lot of people I know. It´ll take me a bit more to get there, I think
[QUOTE] "Hmm... yes, it is acknowledgement of the beauty of her long hair. I find it sad that your friend reacted that way. Was she physically incapable of growing her own hair long?"

As a matter of fact, yes. I would imagine she thought "if I only had long hair, I would be beautiful too".
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Beatnik Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatnik Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Although people do still sometimes ask me if I am in a rock band. (rolls eyes)

Fear not, Dave....you're not the only one who gets that. In Tangier a couple of years ago I would have said yes, if I knew it would not have led to much more conversation (and an attempt to sell me assorted items). LOL.

Chris
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 4:00pm
Hair always,

I have to somewhat agree with you on "shedding your skin." There are many jobs out there that are on the conservative side, and it just makes things easier to fit into the "mold" persay, when trying to get a job. Once the job is landed and everythign is good, than slowly subtle changes can be made to break away from the "mold!"
I myself am an Accounting Major, I'm only 14 classes away from my bachelors (YEA!!!.) Well accountants are very conservative. Many didn't want to even switch to computer based software, much less anything else!!! I personally am not into the dress clothes or anything else, so I will be in for some changes when it comes time for me to get an accounting job. I doubt I will cut my hair, but major changes to my appearance will have to happen.
I do hope that you decide to stick around on the board, I always enjoy your posts.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 12:01pm
Maybe because we are so much a multi cultural society here we seem to pay more attention to the clothes we wear at work and not if someone has long hair or not. I do find that people who do have long hair at work tend to pull it back in buns etc which comes across as very classy looking. Personally I have had many diffirent careers in life and never once been told to cut my hair and in fact been invited a few times to model because I have long hair.
The other day my sister bought this very nice rose ponytail holder which is from New York and the stylist that sold the item said that people are growing their hair.
Yesterday I was at another boutique and been told the same that people are asking for large and small barrettes.
Two my stylist in life have very long hair. ONe is in another province and her hair reaches her ankles and the other one is here and she grows and cuts her hair once in a while.
Being professional has nothing to do with the lenght of hair, it has everything to do with conduct.
dianefromcanada
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2003 at 6:40am
Dave,

Yes the majority of long haired little girls dont seem to care...but that was part of my point. If I were a mother I would become frustrated about keeping thier hair tidy because they dont care as much. Now if a kid does want long hair and takes reasonable care of it (for a kid). Its a different story. Also, remeber that long to me mean waist lenght or longer so Im not talking about kids how have even lower back lenght hair...just the longer than that hair. Maybe I just saw my cousin and friends kids with really long hair and how they didnt particulary care that it was long (moms choice) and didnt take care of it. Mom was always trying to get them to come over so she could tie it back or brush it and they simply wanted nothing to do with that!

My parents friends male childeren had long hair untill they were in late highschool...Ive nothing against guys with long hair. Like I said before I prefer it. But these boys were mistaken for girls all the time. Ones name was even Casey which could be a girls name. I guess its true that when your very young you dont have a "gender" look yet. Which doesnt mean you have to dress like your gender, but a boy with long hair will be teased, as will a girl with very short hair at this age. For I while I was that very short haired girl.

However, these boys took good care hair of their hair and always looked nice. LOL! Even if the style itself was soooo outdated (think that 70s show)! They were very cute really, but everyone made fun of them for looking like girls. My cousins were particularly mean. My cousins were mean about everyone. My sister was teased about being a bit chubby (not een that much). Random people they saw on the street wer critisized. Maybe it comes from livieng in a family of 6 girls

Anyways as for the tow boys family. Dad has long hair and it suits him well. Mom has long hair (ive always admired her locks and her look...very earthy). But the parents are kindof still in the 70's...and a bit of the 60's. They are really the nicest people though.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 9:15pm
Hi Viktoria, welcome!

Of course, non of us, regardless of how we like to look, want to be judged by our appearances.

We never want to be judged negatively. I would imagine that individually we wouldn't mind preferable prejudice, though.

But the outside does say something, and what people "hear" when they see us isn´t necessarily the same thing.

There are aspects of our appearance which are "discretionary," and those which are a given. People make false assumptions about both, perhaps less so to "discretionary" appearance factors. Although people do still sometimes ask me if I am in a rock band. (rolls eyes)

I think it is much a question of maturity. To be secure enough to trust that people´s opinion of me will be favorable (since I am such a nice person), and if not (because I break some kind of dresscode, or they are jealous), then my opinion of *me* will not be affected by that. I would never, five years ago, have been able to quit my frequent hairdressingappointments and still feel good about myself.

Glad to hear you broke the cycle and feel good about that.

I agree with you that maturity is critical. However, I do not think less of myself if/when others tell me that they dislike my hair. (Ironically, put-downs may actually build me -- not that I need it).

PS When I was in high school, I had a friend who, when she saw a long haired girl, would grab me by the arm and whisper "Look at her! Let´s hate her!" That was a compliment from the heart, although the expression perhaps rude...

Hmm... yes, it is acknowledgement of the beauty of her long hair. I find it sad that your friend reacted that way. Was she physically incapable of growing her own hair long?
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Erinlynn Erinlynn wrote:

Ironicaly though I dont like long hair on kids younger than 12. For some reason I think just past the shoulders is as long as they should keep it....but thats just my view.

Maybe its becasue they play so rough...maybe becasue most look dirty (not all)...maybe its because when they get older and cut it they say "when i was 7 I had hair as long as yours" Um...I doubt that. I dont think they appreciate lenght like that as much.

Hi Erinlynn,

I've seen plenty of young girls with long and very long hair and I never ever saw one who seemed to dislike having it that way. On the contrary, they either seemed to enjoy it being long, or they seemed mostly unaware of it being long. I've seen long-haired little girls who were "tomboys" who just didn't seem to notice or care that their hair got mussed by their activities. And I think that is a healthy attitude. It seems to me that quite a few adult women are overly concerned about upsetting others by having "outlandish" long hair (as if pleasing everybody were possible) and choose a "neutral"-looking (i.e. short) hairstyle. Some things learned in adolescence do not help people grow to become empowered.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 8:45pm
Hi Jacqui,

Vineman is entitled to his opinion of what you tell us that you do. You are more than welcome to disagree, and to tell him so. No matter what he thinks, you do not have to change your mind.

Although his assessment may have been a bit harsh, I don't see what he wrote as constituting a "personal attack." Therefore, I did not see the need to drag out my 'moderator's stick' and rap any knuckles.

As for those other posts in which the writer states their opinion that those in the workplace who wear short hair are "drones" or "robots," again, the writer is entitled to his/her opinion. It doesn't mean that it is correct. Silence from anybody else does not imply agreement. My opinion on the matter is that people should wear their hair the way they want it to be. If someone likes their hair, short, then they should feel free to wear their hair short. Likewise, if a person prefers their hair to be long, they should feel free to wear their hair long. Pressures (implied or stated) in workplace environments to cut long hair short are, IMO, inappropriate. Those who prefer long hair but cut their hair short for what they feel are the expectations of the workplace have made a choice. One they are not altogether happy about, but presumably it is one in which they feel they have chosen "the lesser of two evils." It may be easy for some to describe those who make that choice as a sell-out, but it isn't terribly accurate to make a blanket statement. For one thing, there is the degree of importance individuals place on having the hair length they prefer, and as with many things, the degree of preference for long hair may well span the spectrum from "love it and gotta have it" to "hate it and can't stand it." With a variety of "shades" inbetween.

So a long-haired person who has but a slight preference for long hair and perceives that a job that is very badly wanted and (perceived as being) easier to land with short hair will probably cut their hair short. Could this person be fairly described as a "sell-out?" I don't think so.

The question of whether or not someone is a "sell-out" (in this regard) may also be affected by the degree to which the perceived "need" for short hair is real. Into the "equation" goes assessments of this "need" for short hair. This assessment may be accurate, or it may be flawed. Some people might think that a man who has a job (like the one I have) with a high-profile company (like the one for which I work) would absolutely have to have (!) short hair. But my existence there is indisputable proof that such a belief is false.

I would guess that those who describe long-haired people who cut their hair short for the workplace as "sell-outs" are actually expressing their lament that people feel pressured to cut their long hair short for the workplace, especially given that it may in truth not actually help advance their career prospects. I guess, as with all things, expressing one's opinion with tact makes a world of difference in how it is taken.

That said, I hope you stick around, Jacqui.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 6:18pm

I think it is much a question of maturity. To be secure enough to trust that people´s opinion of me will be favorable (since I am such a nice person), and if not (because I break some kind of dresscode, or they are jealous), then my opinion of *me* will not be affected by that. I would never, five years ago, have been able to quit my frequent hairdressingappointments and still feel good about myself.

That is so true, Viktoria. I don't think that your age or any other factor should have to determine how long your hair can be, as long as you feel happy with yourself. If that means that by cutting your hair for a job interview or when you reach a certain age then so be it. People must choose for themselves.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 6:01pm
I am following this discussion with interest. It is obviously creating a lot of emotion. Of course, non of us, regardless of how we like to look, want to be judged by our appearances. But the outside does say something, and what people "hear" when they see us isn´t necessarily the same thing.

Viktoria

PS When I was in high school, I had a friend who, when she saw a long haired girl, would grab me by the arm and whisper "Look at her! Let´s hate her!" That was a compliment from the heart, although the expression perhaps rude...

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 12:18pm
jacqui,

i loved your christmas gift story...absolutely loved it. I want to be a longed haired grandma like her...no short frizzes for me =)

Not that its bad but i always loved long hair on older women.

Ironicaly though I dont like long hair on kids younger than 12. For some reason I think just past the shoulders is as long as they should keep it....but thats just my view.

Maybe its becasue they play so rough...maybe becasue most look dirty (not all)...maybe its because when they get older and cut it they say "when i was 7 I had hair as long as yours" Um...I doubt that. I dont think they appreciate lenght like that as much.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 12:12pm
jacqui

Please stay. Not everyone here feels the shorties are drones etc...it their personal taste. I may complain when other critisized my long hair but Im not saying they are wrong to have short hair or to have an opinion about it.

Anyways, not all of us are militant longies...

Please stay...and again, i love your picture/drawing...did you do it? do you have a larger version online anywhere? Or any other artwork?

--Erinlynn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic