Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Age limit for long hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2003 at 5:16am
Dave - I have to keep it short as I need to get going this morning. But don't think I am being "short" by doing so.
i agree with all of the points that you made. And yes, various opinions are what make any conversation stimulating.
However, I think that Vineman judging me without ever having met me or spoken to me is as bad as me, or anyone else judging him because of the length of his hair.

In other posts, I have also seen short hair persons in the work place referred to as robots or drones...well it seems that some here are judging people by their hair and the fact that it is not long.
Is that not as wrong as being persecuted because you have long hair?

I am here for support, and I would never try to make someone feel bad because they have short hair or because they wanted short hair, for whatever reason.

if that is permitted on this board, then cool.... I just thought I would let you know that i don't agree with it.

jacqui
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2003 at 7:26pm
Hi Jacqui,

The people who post here are welcome to share their opinions. There are no requirements that a consensus opinion be formed, or that all opinions must align to be able to participate here.

What I'm suggesting is that if you disagree with the opinions of others here, feel free to voice your own opinion, so that everybody who reads this board can compare and contrast the viewpoints expressed.

Of course, you are welcome to stay if you wish (I hope you do), and you are also welcome to wander elsewhere. Whatever you wish.

I'd like to otherwise comment on your post. In my opinion, I don't believe that maintaining "a very strong commitment to focus on my profession" is necessarily incompatible with pursuing your own "vanity," or preferred hair length and style. As I've said before, I believe professionalism is encapsulated within the things that you think, do (actions) and say.

Similarly (but not identically) to you, "I am a big believer in first impressions in the professional world." What do I see or "look" for when I meet people for the first time? Their professionalism, as I define it. Not necessarily the slickest suit, which (depending on how they act) might lead me to feel that they depend on the clothes purely to impress me since otherwise they haven't. No, I am more concerned with their attitude and behavior, what they say and do... the quality of our interaction. Has it been mutually satisfactory and productive? The clothes -- and hair -- have nothing to do with the quality of the exchange, or the degree of respect I accord the other person.

However, I do wholeheartedly agree with you, saying "In my profession (architecture) to design something that does not meet my level of integrity and beauty...that IS a sellout." Based on my previous paragraph, I am sure you can see why I agree with you.

I don't wear my hair to suit the tastes and whims of others in the professional world. Obviously. And if anybody in the professional world dared to treat me with professional disrespect because of my hair, I would view them as an idiot who doesn't have their priorities straight. It's okay for a person to dislike the way another looks, but it is an entirely different matter to express it. THAT would be unprofessional.

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 4:19pm
*shyly posts first reply*

I don't know if it's because I'm so into art, and prefer to be with arty people than non-arty people, but I noticed that in work many customers have long hair, some with very long hair, regardless of age. I have a Saturday job in an art & craft shop. None of the staff have short hair, regardless of gender, except for the owner (who is eighty and nearly bald). His wife has grey hair that is amost waist length which I think is great.
I still have the longest hair in work (32") but have only recieved positive comments and curiosity. If one more person asks me if I'm ever going to cut it....
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 5:41am
You can call it selling out....or you can call it a very strong commitment to focus on my profession and not on my own vanity. I will say something that may offend some here(if so I am sincere in my apologies). IT is just hair!! It is only selling out (imo) if I actually CARED about having long hair.....I did not care at the time about having long hair....on the contrary - as I stated before, I was looking forward to "shedding my skin" of college identity. I am a big believer in first impressions in the professional world. I don't consider myself to be a sellout...Now, In my profession (architecture) to design something that does not meet my level of integrity and beauty...that IS a sellout. I guess we all have our limits.

I think I have decided that the long hair board may not be for me....I am finding a lot of criticism and some are becoming a bit too militant for my taste.
Take care to those who give a lot of love and support.
jacqui
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 1:55pm
Andf remember, if you do get to use a "new professional style" (i.e. mega-crop , either sex) , the chances that you even have a job for a year now are not even that high. I wouldn't scrifice 3 years of my life for a job that isn't going to last even one.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 11:12am
Sorry hairalways but that's called "selling out", I remember one girl came on this board before freaking out ecause of what she did to her hair, you're lucky that you liked it. Ultimately business means nothing and money means nothing unless you're happy enough to use it.

Most the guys I know with long hair have cut it short - mainly because places won't hire them. This is discrimination almost on a par with racism, and it disgusts me.
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 11:06am
My hair is getting easier to manage as it grows out, as it's all curly and wavy. Straight hairi s much easier to manage shorter, but obviously when you get near waist length it's going to be hard no matter what.

Since I am young people do tell me it's just a "phase" and a lot of people have long hair, but I've had it for longer! It just grows very slow and my Dad made me cut it once, he did it himself and he promised he wouldn't take much length off and he did.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2003 at 10:02pm
Hello Anna Jean Lee,

So you are a collegian, huh? A business student, no less? That's great! I fondly remember my days as a student in college, studying engineering and business. Those were the days, however, when young women interested in pursuing careers in business were counseled by the authors of some wretched book (dress for success, or some such title) promoted the notion that in order to be taken seriously in the then-male-dominated workplace, women must adapt and make like chameleons, shedding vestiges of their womanly appearance. This advice manifested itself prescriptively as "cut the hair short, wear business suits with shoulder-pads to lend a look of authority, etc." blah blah blah.

I have been working in the world of professional office environments for nearly 20 years now (has it really been that long already?!) and from all of the knowledge, experience and wisdom I've gained and gleaned through those 2 decades, have come to a resolutely firm conclusion regarding those previously-described prescriptive notions for women in business.

It's all a bunch of baloney.

I will tell you what I believe are the secrets to success in the business world. (1) endeavor to do your job to the best of your abilities. (2) work hard, smart, diligently, and relentlessly. (3) never be afraid to say "I don't know." Follow-up with "I'd love to learn." And then learn. (4) Focus on why you are in the employ of another. Do not become distracted with an excessive amount of personal (real life) issues while at work. (5) Be honest and fair in your interactions with others, and treat others with respect (this can be difficult at times -- fight the temptation). (6) Learn to accept fair criticism of your work efforts from your superiors. (7) Learn how to determine priorities, and address the most important priorities first. (8) When things go wrong -- and they will -- don't give up; just keep trying.

Well, I'm sure I could add many more "secrets of success" to the list; the point is that none of it has to do with the length of one's hair! I have had and had (what I consider to be, anyway) a good career and a good job (respectively), and I am a man whose hair is to his knees. If I can simultaneously have these things and long hair, then anybody can do it. And I believe that the people I work for and with perceive me not as "Dave that guy who looks inappropriate for the workplace" but rather as "Dave that guy who may look a bit unusual but is a 'good' guy." Some of you might say I am fooling myself, but I know how others interact with me now and I know how they interacted with me when I had very short hair, and do you know what? It wasn't any different (and certainly no better) with short hair. Because the bottom line is that professionalism has everything to do with what one says and what one does and has absolutely nothing to do with what one looks like, and all those who would have you believe that professionalism is defined by your appearance not only do not speak the truth, but they do not have your best interests in mind.

So, I can say with complete certainty that your classmates who are convinced that long hair is unprofessional have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. It is sad and unfortunate that the dogma they espouse is still in wide circulation; nevertheless, the fact that it is widely believed does not prove it as an infallible truth. Remember, at one time, people believed the world was flat. And they were wrong. So too are those, such as your classmates, who think that professionalism is gained when hair is lost.

In fact, in my estimation, the contrary is true. When young women approaching college graduation cut their hair short in an attempt to appear to be more "professional," it tells me that they are so lacking in confidence with their honest sense of self that they have, unwittingly and ironically, actually displayed their lack of self-confidence. They perceive the need for a haircut as a crutch for a measure of credibility. A flimsy crutch, at that. On the other hand, those who are more self-confident believe in themselves and their abilities to impress those with whom they interview, and don't feel obliged to sell themselves short.

So the next time your classmates try to make you feel badly about wearing your hair long, just smile with pity on them because, in their weakness, they felt compelled to succumb to a misguided fallacy, while you remained strong and true to yourself.

AnnaJeanLee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnaJeanLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2003 at 6:09pm
I to think that an age limit on long hair is silly. I've got to tell you guys a story about me. First I am 19, I'll be 20 in Sept. Second I'm a business adminstration student. There are fourteen other women in my class every one of them has short hair except me and two other women. I usually wear my hair up in a claw clip but one day I decided to let it down and let it breath. Okay I know hair doesn't breath but you all know what I mean. Anyway I was going to the break room and just I was about to enter one of the ladies from my class said to another of my classmates. "Anna will never make it in the business world. She's unprofessional and her hair needs to be cut." Well I walked in the break room. I held my head high and started swinging my hair gently. Just enough to give it some movement. Then I said "I didn't know you felt that way ... about my hair but if I had hair like yours I would be talking about SOMEONE ELSE'S hair too." Name withheld to protect the stupid. Her hair is very dry and extremely frazzled. It looks like it has been dyed one time too many. People need to get off the cut your hair kick.
Anna :P
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 9:31pm
Hi Duke,

Nice to see you posting here.

Thank you for sharing your insights on the subject. I generally agree with you.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 9:33am
A lot of interesting comments here! I too
think that the idea of having to cut your
hair at a certain age is dumb. Your hair
grows on your head and you shouldn't
have to cut it if you don't want. And tastes
differ - some people like how they or
others look with long hair, others don't.
One cannot make a hard and fast rule
about what looks good. I see nothing
unsightly about an older person having
long hair - and it can be put into a bun
anyway.

But as some of you (like Uzma and Lyris)
pointed out, there are many of those who
think that way. I think this attitude is due
to several things:

1) stylists dispensing advice: "at your age
you should wear your hair short". Down
with that! They can unfortuately be expected
to say this (and apparently often do), as
doing a major makeover can be more fun
for the stylist, and cost more/require more
often maintenance than a simple trim of long
hair.

2) male-female customs: some women may
keep their hair long, knowing that many men
love long hair. But once they secure a man
and get married, they may make practicality
or indulging in change a priority, rather than
being as attractive to him.

3) history: in the Victorian era, society became
very conservative and while virtually all women
wore long hair, they started wearing it up in
almost all situations, so as not to show it off to
men. Hair worn down became a symbol of either
being an innocent little girl or of "letting your
hair down" - we still use the cliche - "lightening
up". In the 1920s, women started cutting their
hair and bobs were far more common than long
hair. The fashionable styles of the 1930s were
longer but typically styled in complex curls. The
idea of little girls' hair being simpler and different
from older womens' seems to have developed
at about this time.

Anyway, let us throw off the shackles of
conformity
Benji the Sausage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benji the Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 5:26pm
well ive never been 30 before. or 16 for that matter, but I thought it was intersting how all of the petite women with long hair werent taken seriously and thought of as young and girlie.

I'm 15 and 5'9. When I was 13 I was 5'7 or 5'8 with short hair that went from red to highlighted, and people often asked me where I went to college. People still assume i'm older. I've been asked to clubs before when I walk around the beach and when I tell guys my age they're all "OH MY GOD I'm sorry I thought you were at LEAST 18." And walk away.

I guess I might look older, but I dont think I do. I think i look 15, just bigger. so does my family.

its weird how people judge others maturity when they KNOW a persons age (like at work) by their hair and their size.

as for hair... I look ridiculous with short hair. And I looklike my mother, who has short hair at 43 because she lost it to chemo and is growing it long again, and she looks MUCH better with long hair. so I dont plan to cut it short... ever. again. but I honestly cant say if I'll still even LIKE long hair when im 30.
BSL/Blonde/Chemically Treated (abused)
1b/cMii
I swear by Redken Extreme and Shea Butter.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 12:09pm
Hi TKDKix!

I hear you... I sympathize with you... you are old enough to decide to ignore the opinions of your naysayers, and young enough to wear long hair. Young enough? How young is that? Still alive!

Possible responses to your nasty detractors:

Nasty1: "you looked so cute with your hair short...why grow it out?"

(1) You: "you'd look so cute with long hair... why keep it short?"

(2) You: "you seemed so nice with your mouth closed... why open it up?"

Nasty2: "she has no business having hair that long at her age!"

(1) You: "you have no business telling other people how to wear their hair!"

(2) You: "you have no business having hair that short at your age!" Of course that'll flabbergast her because she just take for granted the self-righteousness of her position, I doubt she'll know how to respond.

We all support your long hair endeavor. Hang in there and don't let anybody deter you!
TKDKix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKDKix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 11:40am
I have been a short-haired girl all my life, and I am facing a LOT of resistance from my mom and others about the fact that I am growing my hair out. (it is only at shoulder-length right now) They keep saying, "you looked so cute with your hair short...why grow it out?" My answer-"because I want to dang it, so shut up!" BTW, I am 33 yrs old, which I think, means that I am supposedly "too old" for long hair...hogwash!

There is a woman at work who comments about women she sees with long hair- "she has no business having hair that long at her age!" This just irritates me...what business does she or anyone else have in determining to what length another woman should grow her hair? I don't understand this long=girlish philosophy.

I come to this board to mainly "lurk" and get some support from others who are invested in their tresses. Whenever I am tempted to cut my hair because it won't behave or because it's got funky layers, I visit these boards and my resolve is renewed!

Today not possible, tomorrow possible!
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 12:01am
Julie, you said, "They say housewives aren't liberated"

Isn't liberation about doing what YOU want to do? I'm afraid feminism has gotten real negative lately. It's more about what "feminists" think you should do instead of what you think you should do.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:57pm
Jacqui, I agree completely with you! Can you imagine the absolutely gorgeous Katherine Hepburn with one of those horrid little buzzcuts that I've seen on elderly women?!

What I do think is unattractive is when long hair is not properly styled or kept healthy. Scraggly ends are unattractive on any length of hair.

But, an elderly lady with an elegant little bun with gentle, wisps of hair kissing her cheeks is the epitome of graceful aging to me. Also, on the rare times I've seen long, almost completely white hair on elderly women, I have been pleasantly surprised at how feminine they looked. Of course, femininity is not just reserved for younger women! But I think it can be a bit harder to achieve as one ages. Having beautiful long hair only adds to the beauty of a woman, in my opinion (keeping in mind that it is healthy and styled well -- pigtails high on the head for an 80-year-old is not quite going to do it for me....!)
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 2:59pm
i know this has nothing to do with hair but i'm also petite too. i'm only 4'11. the women in my family all are short. we are italian. tomorrow i'll be 29 and i still get ''what high school do you go to?'' i politely say i'm not in school i'm a housewife.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 1:58pm
The trick Julie is to not care what others think. What do they know anyway?!!!!

If you know you are a grown up woman and good at your job, what does it matter what others think?

As far as being called a "girl" when you are over 18 and a woman, I wouldn't tolerate that, I would say something like, "Excuse me, I'm a woman not a girl". -(unless it is said in the spirit of fun)-. No woman should be refered to as a "girl", regardless if she has long hair or not. You have a right in ANY workplace to get at least some of respect.

You mentioned that you are petite and Asian, ... well I'm small and petite too and a natural blonde, and yes..., unfortunately small women are sometimes looked at as "girls" too -(don't you hate that!!!!!)-...
When I wore my hair long I often got the "Hey there Blondie" routine from guys , even walking down the street. I didn't much care for it and I always carried a can of MACE just in case ..... Also some people think blondes are dumb. -(Who was the jerk who invented the idea that blondes are dumb? No basis in fact at all !)- All of the stereotypes about women and their hair!.. jeez !

I don't worry too much about what others think, like I said before I will compromise but only to a degree. I may be petite that doesn't mean you can push me around. No sireeee!

tina
Julie in San Fran View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie in San Fran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 12:18pm
This is the problem I had when I had long hair.

When I had waist-length hair no one in the workplace took me seriously. They looked at me as immature. Some even refered to me as a "girl".
It didn't help that I am Chinese-American and short and petite. So I guess I was like a stereotype, the "oriental doll".
Long haired women are seen as being "girly and immature". Long haired men have it even worse, they are considered "airheads" or "grunge guys" or "hippies". Nobody takes long haired people seriously, they are considered flakes. VERY UNFAIR!!!

That isn't why I got my haircut, I just wanted a short style. I was tired of long hair and my husband prefers short hair on women and I also wanted to please him so I did cut my hair short for those reasons, but I must admit people with very long hair (or for that matter any unusual hairstyle of any length) just aren't taken seriously. UNFAIR!!!

I am a housewife now. I don't have to put up much with the public or the workplace. They say housewives aren't liberated but it has it's advantages ; you don't have to put up with the daily workplace pressures!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 6:52am
Jacqui wrote:
Quote think that long hair does signify youth....just as yellow and fluffy down defines a baby chick.

Long hair signifies different things in different cultures at different times.

Baby chicks have yellow fluffy down which turns into feathers when they are fully grown adult ducks. This is nature.
There is no such correlation between long hair and youth in human physiology.
In fact, to grow hair to the floor means that you have lived a significant number of years.
Therefore, if anything, really long hair is an outcome of age not youth.

On the work front, there are a lot of illogical rules about appearance and presentability.

I manage £120m worth of budgets.
If I went to work tomorrow with an eyebrow piercing and my ripped jeans it would be laughed at and frowned on.
In the longer run, I may lose my job, not because of any incompetence in performing my role, but because I have disassociated myself from the corporate tribe and their tribal markers.

We play a role at work.
We play "lets pretend" and "dress up" and adhere to a false hierarchy, moronic values and political gaming.
I save my Real Self for the 16 hours of the day that I am not in the zoo.
Having said that, I do show my teeth, claws and true colours on occasion...............

My corporate-friendly appearance, including hair tied back, "signifies" my compromise to earn a good living.
My long hair - when it gets truly long - will "define" my status as a physically mature adult with full-grown hair.

Nature's definition will triumph!!

(Drat: can't spell today)
Uzi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic