Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Pix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Pix
    Posted: July 15 2009 at 6:45pm
Hi all! I've been lurking here for years posting occasionally. We finally got a digital camera. We've always been slow keeping up with technology but eventually we get there! I wanted to post a picture of my hair. The color looks a little funky due to the lighting. (Okay, we GOT the camera. We're still learning how to use it!) But you get the idea. I'm 47 and whenever I got that feeling that I was too old to have long hair, I'd get on this forum. I don't plan on growing it much longer, maybe just a few inches. I hope this comes out okay. I'll practice and do better next time!
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 8:06pm

Awwwww im sooo glad u posted pictures. Your hair is amazing :) I cant wait to see it much longer. U should post new pics with styles too.

Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 5:54pm
Thanks Pburgh56! You need to get some pictures on here too. They will be nice for you to have as a reference as your hair gets longer. This forum seemed much more active when I started getting on here a few years ago. Kinda bummed about that. Where did everyone go? Unhappy
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 7:38pm
I dont know but Im happy with the advice i have gotten so far. I will def try to post more pictures. Do u have any more pics?
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2009 at 7:47pm
Hi Kitty Kat! Wow you have great hair, so thick and wavy! It's nice to see other women my age letting their hair grow. Did you always have long hair?
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 10:22am
Thanks Paper! I had short hair when I was little and again in my early twenties. After too many bad haircuts I said the heck with this and just let it grow out. I still occasionally feel funny having long hair at my age. But all these fashion and hair "rules" are really just someone's opinion. What makes us feel compelled to follow them? And, when watching makeovers, I almost always think they looked better before. Yeah, they might look nice with the makeover but they look ordinary. They don't stand out in a crowd. How long is your hair Paper?

Pburgh56 - Do you have pictures posted already?
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 11:45am
I agree, I hate those makeover shows. Sure they look ok, but how are they going to keep it up. Especially with color. They always chop it off and color it!

I had long hair most of my life and cut if off when I turned 40. It never felt right, I always missed my long hair. I've been growing my hair for almost 2 years now. It's great to meet people like you on these forums that have long hair after 40, it's very inspiring! My hair is APL, my goal is BSL. I should be there this time next year. Then I'll maintain there while trimming off dye.

Here's my latest length shot....

Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 12:31pm

Very pretty Paper. Your hair is so shiny, silky and healthy looking! My goal is also BSL. Any longer than that, for me, gets a little hard to handle and too heavy when I put it up.

I think the same thing about the makeovers. Looks nice today, what's it going to look like next week? I know when mine was short it required a lot of styling, drying, curling iron, etc. I don't have to do any of that with it long. I just grew out my bangs five years ago (still getting used to it). I always used a curling iron on them to give them a little body. Now I don't even have to do that.

Just curious, when you did get it cut, did you get any comments about how pretty your hair was when it was long? I know that happened to me when I got it cut short in my 20's. I don't know how many people told me how pretty my hair WAS...it's like, why didn't you tell me that then????

Nice to know we have support here.
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 3:29pm
Awwwww i always try to comment girls on their long hair especially if its really nice that way they can try to keep it long. Kitty Kat i may have some pictures up look for my post under hair journals and there may be a beginning pic. Let me know?
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 5:31pm
Pburgh56 - I didn't see any pics. Just the one that you want your hair to look like.

Paper - I was reading your hair journal too. Just wondering how you like those Flexi 8's?? I've never been able to find anything to hold a french twist. It looks like a large one of those might work.
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 6:20pm
Thanks Kitty Kat! Thats cool we have the same goal. I agree long hair is easier to take care of. When it's short you have to style it, and keep it trimmed every 6 weeks.  I still have my bangs and blow dry those. If I wear my hair down I usually wear a headband. When my hair was long, everyone told me to cut it! When I cut it, everyone says, what did you do that for? Now, I'm growing it for me, and I don't care what anyone thinks. I tell them I'm going to have long white hair to my butt LOL. They tell me it will be cool and I should go for it!

Oh, I love my flexis! There so easy to use and pretty. It can be tricky to find the right size. You do have alot of hair so you will probably need a Med or Large. There customer service is awesome, you can always exchange them if they aren't the right size. I sold all my forks (except my charcoal) and sticks, I never quite got the hang of them. I love flexis and ficcares! What are you favorite styles and hair toys?

Pburgh, Thats great you tell women their long hair is pretty. Keep it up!
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 7:18pm
Hey Paper! When I wear my hair down, I usually wear a headband too. I had a stylist tell me once that my hair grows forward. So I have to either stick it behind my ears or wear a headband. Otherwise, it falls in my face.

That doesn't surprise me at all that people wanted you to cut your hair when it was long and then asked why when you finally did. I'm glad you're doing what makes you happy. That's one thing I like about getting older. You don't care so much what people think anymore.

I usually wear my hair different every day. My favorites are half up, french braids, and I put it up in a jaw clip and let it hang down over the clip. I'm so excited because I JUST learned how to do a ponytail that doesn't hurt. I put half up in a small scrunchy then gather the rest and put a scrunchy over everything. It doesn't pull when I do it that way. I tend to get headaches when it's pulling.

I have so many hair toys and I don't use most of them. Clips, sticks, jaw clips, elastics. I also have a horn comb (the same kind you have) and a few seamless combs. I'm a bit obssessive!! Not that I need more toys but I think I might at least try one of those Flexis. They really do look like they would work well.

I usually put jojoba oil on it when I wear it up. I see you use coconut oil too. I'd like to try that. How do you apply it? Does it work well for you? And where do you think I might be able to find some? I get the jojoba oil at GNC.

By the way, I love your color. It looks kind of similar to mine only shinier. Mine isn't really light on top and dark on the bottom like the picture! It's just the lighting.
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2009 at 10:30pm
Thanks paper :) I def will keep complimenting women on their gorgeous locks. Some smile and love it, but others dont :( They look like im weird but its okay the majority like it.
Kitty Kat i love hearing about ur hair, I will def try pics soon. Any advice on how i should style it for work?
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 9:33am
Pburgh, some people are uncomfortable with compliments. Don't know why. Maybe it makes them embarrassed? I'll take as many as people want to give me!!

Do you have any limitations or restrictions for work? Can you do a simple pony yet? Or half up? Maybe try those for now. I really like the Flexis that Paper mentioned. They're pretty "girlie" BUT they have some great videos on different hairstyles. Check it out. Just Google Flexi 8. Last night I did the one where you make a bun and pull it down. Worked like a charm.

I love the summertime when I can wear sundresses or tank tops and feel the my hair on my back. Thumbs%20Up
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 12:19pm
Hey Kitty Kat! I love half ups too. I've been practicing french braiding (almost there). Most days, I wear my hair in peacook twist with plastic claw, flexi or ficcare. I don't like buns much, I like to have a some hair hanging down. Now that my hair is down my back, I love that feeling too!

I stopped using Coconut Oil. It was making my hair limp and greasy. I bought it at Walmart. Now, I use Jojoba Oil, rarely to smooth down frizzys.

Thats cool you have the same comb that I do. I never would of thought a comb would make so much difference! I love my horn comb. You will have to show me your flexi when you get it. They are addicting!

Thanks for the compliment on my hair color! I was wondering about your 2 tone. I was going to ask you if you were growing out color like me. LOL

Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 2:14pm

Hey there Kitty Kat, I def cant wait till I can feel my hair on my back like u can and even tho they are girly i really do want to try the flexis and everything :) I will def keep mkaing thecompliments as well. FOr my work the hair is not supposed to be past collar length but I am growing it anyhow I feel if i keep it tied back it should be good :) RIght now it is like collar length so i cant do even a half tail with it yet :( I honestly cannon wait for a ponytail tho :) I am sooo anxious to have one. I really was thinking of doing the slicked back ponytail or messy or tight bun for work? What do u think or any other ideas? Thanks

Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 5:50pm

Paper - Yeah, my hair is pretty dark like the bottom of the picture. We need to go outside and get a better one.

I've never heard the term "peacook twist" but I know what you mean and that's a favorite of mine too. I usually use a plastic claw for that. I told Pburgh years ago (before computers!) I went to the library and got a book on hairstyles, came home, sat cross legged on the couch and just started doing them. I've done french braids for years. I used to be able to do an inverted french braid (is that what it's called?) where the braid stands out. Pretty cool. I haven't done it in a long time though and never got as comfortable with that as a french braid.

Sounds like I'll stick with the jojoba oil! LOL! I really like it but I have to use it sparingly.

We were at a family party all day. I haven't had a chance to look at the Flexis again but I'm going to order them sometime this week.

So, what is your hair routine? What kind of products are your favorite?
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 5:53pm
Pburgh - Those styles sound great. If they give you any problems at work maybe you can do a ponytail stuck into your shirt once it gets longer? How do you wear your hair now? What does it look like, color, texture, etc.?
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 6:38pm
oops, I spelled peacook twist wrong. I love braids and would love to learn them. A rope braid is so pretty. I would love to see some pictures of your hair taken outside and maybe a picture of an inverted french braid, that sounds cool.

My rountine is very simple. I wash my hair with Conditioner only twice a week. I love the Suave coconut one. I like to try different Suave or V05 conditioners, there so cheap. I blow dry my bangs and let the rest air dry. What about you? Your hair looks pretty curly, how do you care for it?

Oh, another thing, I use my Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer. I put it on my face at night and very little in the morning, if needed, under make-up.

ETA: lol, I thought I spelled peac-o-c-k twist wrong, but the site keeps "correcting" it for me, or something.

Edited by paper - July 19 2009 at 6:42pm
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2009 at 8:13pm
Thanks for all the input :) I didnt ever think of the long ponytail stuck into my shirt. I think that would work. Right now being that my hair is shaggy i usually just make sure it is cleaned and brushed and wear it down. SOmetimes ill sport a thin headband to push backmy bangs some. I have very pretty hair for a guy almost like girls hair. Its very thick, soft and shinny and its straight but can have a little bit of wave to it :) Its black as well :) what do u think?
Do u know any professionals like doctors or anything to have long hair?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic