Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ally<3's Hair Journal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ally<3's Hair Journal
    Posted: August 23 2009 at 4:32am
Hi everyone,

I'm starting this hair journal to track my progress and the record measurements. This is purely for my benefit to ramble and share my thoughts, but posts are very welcome.

I am a natural red head. Two years ago I was dying my hair a very dark brown with a box colour. When explaining that I wanted to go a bit lighter to my hairdresser, she told me the only option was bleach (not true, but anyways). At this point my hair was almost to my belly button, but not in good condition due to the box dye and almost daily flat ironing. The more bleach that was applied to my hair, the more needed cutting off. Sick of the hairdressers not doing what I wanted, I learned how to do my hair at home from an accomplished Vidal Sasson trained professional. Doing this finally brought my hair to platinum. All the box dye had been cut off and my hair was at my sholders. Constantly trying to grow my hair out, I had tried a lot of products, some of them worked, but I was having major breakage. Just when I felt purhaps my hair was getting back in shape I went for a haircut at a new salon that was recommended to me. The women cut layers only a few inches long and, wait for it.... flat ironed my hair while it was still damp, causing it to singe. This one lady ruined all my efforts in 5 minutes. If only she had taken the time to give me a proper blowdry. First and only time to that hairdressers, that sort of thing is just unacceptable. What ever happened to putting the intergity of the hair first?

So, still trying to grow it longer at this stage. I would touch up my roots every 4-6 weeks. Having to bleach them twice and then tone (using the very best professional products available -Redken's Levitation Oil Bleach and Wella's Demi perm line Color Touch) this really took it's toll on my hair. The reason being, I think, is that doing it all on my own with 2 mirrors and a brush, is extraordinaryly difficult and over lap of bleach would have occured dispite my very best efforts.

This brings my up to only a few weeks ago, having a chemical haircut and hair that doesn't look or move like it should, and despite loving (and constantly getting compliments on) the color, the condition was terrible. And what good is hair if it isn't healthy? I doesn't look good and it doesn't feel good, and it doesn't grow either! So I made the fantastic decision to go back to my natural color. I can't wait for all this mess to grow out to I can just have my natural dark auburn hair with nothing done to it. So it's dyed to pretty much my natural color but the condition is still very bad. I can feel how silky and smooth my new growth is and it makes me so excited! I got a lot cut off, but a lot more is going to have to come off too. Best thing is no regrowth!

So what I'm doing to help my hair grow and florish:
- Eat approx 50 grams on protein everyday
- Take a suppliment and has all essential vitiams and minerals
- Deep condition at least 2 times a week with lipid rich conditioner and use non-sls shampoo
- Protein treatment once a month
- Use a dry oil ans shea butter
- I use a shower filter
- Try to drink 6 or more glasses of water a day
- TRY to not stress
- Try to get enough sleep
- No heat
- No dye, no chemicals
- No products containing alcohol, includes hairspray
- Scalp massages
- No elastic bands

I only wish I had started this regime earlier. I know in a few years my hair will be beautiful. My hair sits at about my collar bone at the moment with layers. I will post measurements in the next post as my hair is wet at the moment (takes forever to dry as it is porous).

My hair is very very thick naturally. It is still fairly thick now after all the breakage from the bleach and losing about half of it (I mean literally half of it!)  after getting out glue in extentions, which didn't bother me at the time, because I thought my hair was a lost cause. I still have a lot of breakage at the nape of my neck. I basically have done all the wrong things, but now I'm doing all the right things and i hope my hair rewards me for it.

Keep checking back if you want to see how I go!

Ally
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 5:57am
Hair Inspiration (everyone trying to grow their hair should have one!)

Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 5:28am
Okay, doing the best job I could I measured my hair at 32cm. Taking into account I had to use a handyman's tape measure as it was all I could find. I'm guessing people usually use like a sewing tape measure. I'll have to pick one up. Also how many different spots do you measure? I was going to do length (like just at the side of my head) and maybe width of my ponytail.

*Googles how to measure hair...
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 5:31am
Interesting
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081102061625AASraWD
http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A674357A1D0F3116!337.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=316772247
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 5:33am
Hair Pic of the day

Why on earth did she go blonde?
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 5:57am
Goals

First Goal:
Armpit length my March 2010. This is a growth of 7cm from today. This is around 1 cm per month. But I am going to take into account around 2 cm off for a trim. So really 9cms by March.

Second Goal: Bra Strap length. This is about 17cms growth from what I have now, and about 10cms from the first goal. That's by Christmas time, so 9 months.

Final Goal:
Mid-back length. This will probably take around another 6 months. After I reach my second goal I will be getting trims as it grows. So everytime it grows an inch, I will take off half an inch, 3/4 of an inch or the full inch. This is to get my hair to all un-chemically treated hair.

Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 6:00am
Hair Growth Stages

natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 12:03pm
what is your current length and color?
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 2:05am
Measured 32cms the other day, hits just past my collar bone. It is a level 6 auburn brown.
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 2:43am
How often do you guys measure your hair? I'm inclined to measure it every week, but I think the sensible thing would be every month?
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 4:18am
Measured a little bit more accurately, it's 38.5cm from center part to longest tip, and from the centre of my hairline, down my part to the tip at the end, it is 48cms.
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 4:19am
Hair Pic of the day

Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 7:41am
Ally you asked about measurement I would go with once a month. Most sites of women growing it and men go once a month.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 4:55am
Mike, yeah I thought that might be the way to go. C'mon progress!
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 1:20pm
Wow I just looked at ur journal and u have great ideaas and great hair goals. Did u ever think of going further than mid back? My goal is mid to lowr back right now. what do u think for a guy?
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 3:14am
Hey Pburgh, the longest I would go it to my waist. I'm fairly tall 5'8 so that makes a big difference to how much hair that is.

Wow that's a big goal but definitely achievable. How long is it now?.

Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 3:16am
Hair Pic of the Day

Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 3:24am
Just a thought, I know we need to add certain things to our diet to help our hair grow, but do we need to cut anything out? Does any foods prohibit hair growth?
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 6:31am
What does everyone do after washing their hair? I don't blow dry, but if I go to bed with it wet it can get pretty fluffy. Last night I tried putting it in a soft scrunchie while damp and loosely plating the ends. Did not work out too well!
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 4:49pm
i think waist would be awesome for u esp with ur height and everything. whats the longest u ever had ur hair?
thanks for the advice too i know i have a big goal but i really hope i can go for it and achieve it. Mine is currently collar length which i think is good growth after starting at a buzz in january. what do u think?
to answer ur questionj when i go to bed i let my hair damp and just wake up and have a shaggy look. I know its not as long as urs tho.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic