Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Musings on Talking Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Musings on Talking Heads
    Posted: April 30 2010 at 10:25am
So, figured I'd brain dump some random thoughts on the most easily accessible of "celebrities" on a daily basis, the network and cable news women.  What was the impetus of me emerging from the Flea Cave under stately Jerky Manor?  Well, curiosity based on the first item below...

1) Ann Curry has been wearing her hair up, which isn't unusual for her.  But she's done it everyday.  For the past 10 days.  To quote myself, "Say, that's odd."  Bad haircut?  Awkward grow-out phase?  A heretofore uknown deep affinity for the mess bun?  Inquiring - and semi-bored - minds want to know

2) For several months now, Robin Meade has looked as though she can't quite get her style to work.  Just seems to be too long, too short, too bangy, not bangy enough, and/or too layered to do what she's trying to do.  Seemed to happen right after a haircut a few months ago.  My completely unsubstantiated theory is that she went to a new stylist who tried to duplicate - and slightly tweak (as all new stylists do) - her existing cut...and missed.  Not so far off the mark that it looks bad, but enough that trying to style it the same way as she had in the past just...doesn't...quite...work. 

3) Katie Couric seems to have finally found a mirror, realized her version of the disatrous Kate Gosslin 'do just wasn't working, and started growing the short cut out a bit.  Just the bit of additional length she has now looks A LOT better.  Will be interesting to see if she's found a comfort zone or will keep growing.

4) Odd phenomenon:  The majority of FOXNews on-air females are blonde, while the majority of those at CNN are brunette.  Coincidence?  Who knows, though it give FOXNews an oddly Stepford Wifey feel.  Additionally, the trend at both seems to be counter to the longstanding "newscaster" conservative 'do with the typical length being below or well below the shoulders.  Also, no idea what that means, though it's a welcome change.  Oh, and in case you think I forgot, I've determined that the majority of on-air females at MSNBC are women.

OK, brain dumped.  Though there may end up being some additional flotsam and jetsam that got stuck in the drain, so I reserve the right reply to myself somewhere else in this thread.

As usual,
JF

Edited by JerkyFlea - April 30 2010 at 10:29am
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 11:06am
FLEA!!!!  Nice to see that not only did you come out of the basement to post a comment, but you started a thread!!! Astute comments, as usual.  Would love to hear your thoughts on Celebs...
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 4:14pm

I too have been noticing the "strange" hair happenings with Robin.  I haven't been able to figure it out either, but it just doesn't look right.  Wonder how long it will take her to "fix" the problem.

ace1308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace1308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 6:41pm
Glad to see comments from the "one" who kinda started this thing.
I stumbled across your musings quite sometime ago and yes they are right on as usual.

Not sure what to heck Ms couric is doing. She had just found her length and color and the next thing you know shes trying imitate K Gosslin.

anyway glad to see your post.

ACE
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 7:02pm
Betty Nguyen at CBS has dumped the long feathery look that Robin still sometimes wears.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 11:16pm

Hi Flea. Great to see you again. A few comments:

Did you see Ann Curry's report on the submarine? She had it down for most of that report and it was a bit longer than it was a month ago. Otherwise, it's been bun after bun after bun.

Since I firmly believe that Robin Meade's hair is filled with extensions, I think the solution is to get better ones.

Betty Nguyen's hair still looks feathered to me, but it's longer. Her hair on CBS is similar to her look on CNN, except she now wears it in front on both sides of her head instead of one side in front, the other side behind. She's the main reason I watch CBS.

Here's how Betty looked in her last weeks on CNN:

%5bimage%5d%20

And here's how Betty used to wear her hair when it was straighter:

%5bimage%5d%20
Who has more fun than people?
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 3:35am
Thank you Flea. Also thanks for the pics Kramer.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 9:48am

As JF mentioned, Ann Curry has her hair like this pretty much every morning:

ts01
Who has more fun than people?
les237 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote les237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 1:47pm
Does anyone think that Ann Curry may be getting ready to cut her hair short, and these buns are her "try outs"?
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 2:33pm
Since I am not a fan of buns...I hope a haircut is coming soon
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 3:10pm
She's often had short hair--why the need to "try it out"?
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 3:47pm
    Megyn Kelly has grown her hair out noticeably of late, and I'm impressed. Obviously I prefer long hair on Ann Curry, but I'll never forget the big event in which she roped in 100+ others to chop their hair, and the network gave them short shrift. Also, she never responded to a mountain of e-mails concerning the ethics of the hair charity. Ouch Bob
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 5:52pm
It looks like Betty Nguyen's hair is a bit longer.

Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 3:36am
Maybe she is growing it out again. Ann that is when it dose come down we will all be shocked.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 5:18am
Looks like Robin got her hair tweaked.  Looks better.  Has more of a bang/fringe to it.  I think she would look great with a full fringe.
I also noticed her arms (I think it is the first time ever that I looked at her arms) she actually has some muscle there - toned and voluptuous!
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 8:56am

Does this look as if AC is hiding a lot of hair? Quite frankly, I'm not sure.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by JerkyFlea JerkyFlea wrote:

So, figured I'd brain dump some random thoughts on the most easily accessible of "celebrities" on a daily basis, the network and cable news women.  What was the impetus of me emerging from the Flea Cave under stately Jerky Manor?  Well, curiosity based on the first item below...

4) Odd phenomenon:  The majority of FOXNews on-air females are blonde, while the majority of those at CNN are brunette.  Coincidence?  Who knows, though it give FOXNews an oddly Stepford Wifey feel. 

OK, brain dumped.  Though there may end up being some additional flotsam and jetsam that got stuck in the drain, so I reserve the right reply to myself somewhere else in this thread.

As usual,
JF

Hey JF,

Good to see you.  Thanks for your astute hair thoughts...as always.  Thanks also to all for posting images.

#4 really resonated for me.  Just last week I was noticing that on The Insider (which I catch randomly) all the talking heads were blonde.  I was having a hard time figuring out who was who.

Even Ellen has gone blonder and blonder as the years have moved on and of course her wife is blonde. 

Is there something about how blonde shows up on camera?

Anyway, thanks JF and thanks for the new thread.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 7:26pm
So Ann wore her hair down on Monday and it did appear to the same style (i.e., a lightly layered bob) just a bit below her shoulders.  Nothing different, nothing bad, nothing...well...just nothing significant at all.

And then it was back up on Tuesday and today. 

Which, discounting Monday as an aberration, now makes it over 4 weeks of the messy bun. 

Seriously, what gives?

JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 6:17pm
Hi Karen,

After your comment on the blondes on The Insider I made a point of watching.  You're right.  They do all look similar.

Thanks to JF for a great thread.  Really enjoy seeing his hair wisdom.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 3:27pm
Ann Curry's hair does look a bit longer--but nothing at all significant.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic