Forum Name: Celebrity Hair Talk
Forum Description: The hair trials and tribulations of Celebrities
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=66172
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 8:44am

Topic: Musings on Talking Heads
Posted By: JerkyFlea
Subject: Musings on Talking Heads
Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 10:25am
So, figured I'd brain dump some random thoughts on the most easily accessible of "celebrities" on a daily basis, the network and cable news women.  What was the impetus of me emerging from the Flea Cave under stately Jerky Manor?  Well, curiosity based on the first item below...

1) Ann Curry has been wearing her hair up, which isn't unusual for her.  But she's done it everyday.  For the past 10 days.  To quote myself, "Say, that's odd."  Bad haircut?  Awkward grow-out phase?  A heretofore uknown deep affinity for the mess bun?  Inquiring - and semi-bored - minds want to know

2) For several months now, Robin Meade has looked as though she can't quite get her style to work.  Just seems to be too long, too short, too bangy, not bangy enough, and/or too layered to do what she's trying to do.  Seemed to happen right after a haircut a few months ago.  My completely unsubstantiated theory is that she went to a new stylist who tried to duplicate - and slightly tweak (as all new stylists do) - her existing cut...and missed.  Not so far off the mark that it looks bad, but enough that trying to style it the same way as she had in the past just...doesn't...quite...work. 

3) Katie Couric seems to have finally found a mirror, realized her version of the disatrous Kate Gosslin 'do just wasn't working, and started growing the short cut out a bit.  Just the bit of additional length she has now looks A LOT better.  Will be interesting to see if she's found a comfort zone or will keep growing.

4) Odd phenomenon:  The majority of FOXNews on-air females are blonde, while the majority of those at CNN are brunette.  Coincidence?  Who knows, though it give FOXNews an oddly Stepford Wifey feel.  Additionally, the trend at both seems to be counter to the longstanding "newscaster" conservative 'do with the typical length being below or well below the shoulders.  Also, no idea what that means, though it's a welcome change.  Oh, and in case you think I forgot, I've determined that the majority of on-air females at MSNBC are women.

OK, brain dumped.  Though there may end up being some additional flotsam and jetsam that got stuck in the drain, so I reserve the right reply to myself somewhere else in this thread.

As usual,
JF

-------------
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.

Replies:
Posted By: ssjockey
Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 11:06am
FLEA!!!!  Nice to see that not only did you come out of the basement to post a comment, but you started a thread!!! Astute comments, as usual.  Would love to hear your thoughts on Celebs...

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 4:14pm

I too have been noticing the "strange" hair happenings with Robin.  I haven't been able to figure it out either, but it just doesn't look right.  Wonder how long it will take her to "fix" the problem.

Posted By: ace1308
Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 6:41pm
Glad to see comments from the "one" who kinda started this thing.
I stumbled across your musings quite sometime ago and yes they are right on as usual.

Not sure what to heck Ms couric is doing. She had just found her length and color and the next thing you know shes trying imitate K Gosslin.

anyway glad to see your post.

-------------
ACE

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: April 30 2010 at 7:02pm
Betty Nguyen at CBS has dumped the long feathery look that Robin still sometimes wears.

Posted By: Kramer
Date Posted: May 01 2010 at 11:16pm

Hi Flea. Great to see you again. A few comments:

Did you see Ann Curry's report on the submarine? She had it down for most of that report and it was a bit longer than it was a month ago. Otherwise, it's been bun after bun after bun.

Since I firmly believe that Robin Meade's hair is filled with extensions, I think the solution is to get better ones.

Betty Nguyen's hair still looks feathered to me, but it's longer. Her hair on CBS is similar to her look on CNN, except she now wears it in front on both sides of her head instead of one side in front, the other side behind. She's the main reason I watch CBS.

Here's how Betty looked in her last weeks on CNN:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/dd1ed471559827/">%5bimage%5d%20

And here's how Betty used to wear her hair when it was straighter:

http://img259.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=31388_betty_4_122_573lo.jpg">%5bimage%5d%20

-------------
Who has more fun than people?

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: May 02 2010 at 3:35am
Thank you Flea. Also thanks for the pics Kramer.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: May 02 2010 at 9:48am

As JF mentioned, Ann Curry has her hair like this pretty much every morning:

ts01

-------------

Posted By: les237
Date Posted: May 04 2010 at 1:47pm
Does anyone think that Ann Curry may be getting ready to cut her hair short, and these buns are her "try outs"?

Date Posted: May 04 2010 at 2:33pm
Since I am not a fan of buns...I hope a haircut is coming soon

Date Posted: May 04 2010 at 3:10pm
She's often had short hair--why the need to "try it out"?

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: May 07 2010 at 3:47pm
    Megyn Kelly has grown her hair out noticeably of late, and I'm impressed. Obviously I prefer long hair on Ann Curry, but I'll never forget the big event in which she roped in 100+ others to chop their hair, and the network gave them short shrift. Also, she never responded to a mountain of e-mails concerning the ethics of the hair charity. Ouch Bob

Date Posted: May 07 2010 at 5:52pm
It looks like Betty Nguyen's hair is a bit longer.

Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 3:36am
Maybe she is growing it out again. Ann that is when it dose come down we will all be shocked.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: May 10 2010 at 5:18am
Looks like Robin got her hair tweaked.  Looks better.  Has more of a bang/fringe to it.  I think she would look great with a full fringe.
I also noticed her arms (I think it is the first time ever that I looked at her arms) she actually has some muscle there - toned and voluptuous!

Date Posted: May 19 2010 at 8:56am

Does this look as if AC is hiding a lot of hair? Quite frankly, I'm not sure.

Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: May 19 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by JerkyFlea JerkyFlea wrote:

So, figured I'd brain dump some random thoughts on the most easily accessible of "celebrities" on a daily basis, the network and cable news women.  What was the impetus of me emerging from the Flea Cave under stately Jerky Manor?  Well, curiosity based on the first item below...

4) Odd phenomenon:  The majority of FOXNews on-air females are blonde, while the majority of those at CNN are brunette.  Coincidence?  Who knows, though it give FOXNews an oddly Stepford Wifey feel. 

OK, brain dumped.  Though there may end up being some additional flotsam and jetsam that got stuck in the drain, so I reserve the right reply to myself somewhere else in this thread.

As usual,
JF

Hey JF,

Good to see you.  Thanks for your astute hair thoughts...as always.  Thanks also to all for posting images.

#4 really resonated for me.  Just last week I was noticing that on The Insider (which I catch randomly) all the talking heads were blonde.  I was having a hard time figuring out who was who.

Even Ellen has gone blonder and blonder as the years have moved on and of course her wife is blonde. 

Is there something about how blonde shows up on camera?

Anyway, thanks JF and thanks for the new thread.

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Date Posted: May 19 2010 at 7:26pm
So Ann wore her hair down on Monday and it did appear to the same style (i.e., a lightly layered bob) just a bit below her shoulders.  Nothing different, nothing bad, nothing...well...just nothing significant at all.

And then it was back up on Tuesday and today. 

Which, discounting Monday as an aberration, now makes it over 4 weeks of the messy bun. 

Seriously, what gives?

JF

-------------

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: May 23 2010 at 6:17pm
Hi Karen,

After your comment on the blondes on The Insider I made a point of watching.  You're right.  They do all look similar.

Thanks to JF for a great thread.  Really enjoy seeing his hair wisdom.

Date Posted: May 24 2010 at 3:27pm
Ann Curry's hair does look a bit longer--but nothing at all significant.

Posted By: Durango
Date Posted: May 25 2010 at 2:08pm
Great to see you come out of your coccoon, Flea! 

Ann's hair was down again today (Tuesday, 5/25).  It looked to me as though it might be an inch or two shorter.

-------------
Durango

Date Posted: July 02 2010 at 3:53am
Seemingly less bobbed and under control than usual.

Date Posted: July 03 2010 at 1:49am
Mind you, here's a back shot which shows how carefully controlled she keeps it.

Date Posted: July 06 2010 at 11:09am
I hope she will go long one more time.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 3:57pm
So consider this a continuation of the orginal musings...

- Ann Curry, as noted above has been wearing her hair down lately and it's longer.  It's in that no-woman's land length of just above top of the shoulders to just below them.  You know that length where it can essentially grow for 6-8 months and pretty much look exactly the same until one day - "Poof!" - it suddenly looks long. 

But given how much Ann claimed she didn't like her hair really long when she grew it out to donate, I'm not sure of what her plan is here.  Or why she wore it up for two months before wearing it down again.  Or why Ashton Kutcher has a movie career.  But I digress.

- Erin Burnett of CNBC seems to attempting to encroach on on Robin Meade's territory as the "Most Professional Looking Stripper in TV News".  And I really do mean that in the best possible way.  Erin's voluminous flips and waves rival any of Robin's curls of late. 

-  Continuing on the theme above, oddly, Robin seems to have gone flatter while everyone else seems to be rediscovering big hair.  The flat-ironed hair helmet of whatever length seems to be becoming more the exception than the rule of late.  Check out the aforementioned Erin Burnett, Alex Witt and Chris Jansing of MSNBC (Chris having gone the full blown wavy/curly route this summer), Kimberly Guilfoyle on Fox News, or any other of a number of talking heads that have pumped up the volume. 

I'll wait while you go look.  Try http://www.tvheads.com - www.tvheads.com .

See what I mean?

And, as a child of the '80s with an affinity for big hair, I can't say as I'm complaining. Smile

JF

-------------

Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: July 07 2010 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by JerkyFlea JerkyFlea wrote:

So consider this a continuation of the orginal musings...

Or why Ashton Kutcher has a movie career.  But I digress.

Smile

JF

LOL.  Finally, someone with wisdom speaks the truth about the King Of Twitter and a generally annoying person who just happens to be in films, on TV and married to Mrs. Robinson Part II.  Not to mention raking in large sums of cash in the process.

Thank you for calling a spade a spade Mr. Flea.

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Date Posted: July 20 2010 at 12:49am
Does seem a bit longer.

Posted By: Curlyfan
Date Posted: July 20 2010 at 12:20pm
I wish I liked this, as she's had it quite a while, but it just looks really blah all around. Nothing interesting to me about the length, color, cut or style. Here's hoping she's still on the air when she changes it again.

-------------
Your hair is your best accessory; wear it with STYLE!

Date Posted: July 20 2010 at 4:00pm
Great photo. Oddly, I saw a photo of her from behind on today's "Today" and I thought her hair looked really even, like she had a trim. This photo must have been taken early in the show. As I've said in the past here, by the time the show ends, Ann's hair is often a mess.

-------------

Date Posted: December 14 2010 at 2:17pm
Some serious greying?

Date Posted: December 15 2010 at 1:10pm
actually looks great on her.
I've noticed a lot of "grey ladies" looking great, Jill Doughty come to mind.

-------------
ACE

Date Posted: December 18 2010 at 4:08pm
This is one of my favorite subjects,still think it could support a forum of its own.
But in any case I have a couple thoughts.

Alex Witt looks great but she has recently found the "Tonette" bottle again and is fairly curly. Does not look bad but I think she looks better mor straight.

Maria Bartiromo  really looks great about 30% of the time. Just seems to have to much hair at times. She could be thinking of going a lot shorter. But her hair seems to be very hard to style.

Mary Thompson has a great head of hair. Not truly a stlye other than long and curled at the ends, but certainly is very healthy and a great length.

Jill Doughty has grey hair and it looks great on her. Perhaps more will go Au Natural.

Robin Meade what can I say that has not already been said. She is truly stunning.

Carol Costello only gets better as time goes.

Kiren Chetry Not sure about her hair always looks very tight, would like to see her with it straight or maybe at least in a pony tail.

Natasha Curry for those very curly fans, looks great on her. Not evryone can pull that style off.

Callie Northhagen (HSN) One of the greatest looking very short cuts. She is another absolute stunner. If you are a short hair lover you need to catch her on air.

Just a few of my rambling thoughts.

-------------
ACE

Posted By: DMB61
Date Posted: December 19 2010 at 11:01am

I agree with Ace 1308 on Alex Witt;

- Alex Witt does look better with a straighter look, here's to her going back to a straighter look and letting the layers grow out to one length again.

- Mary Thompson - Does look better with her hair longer, I didn't like her bob that she had a couple years ago.

- Patti Ann Browne - Looks great with long hair, but has been getting shorter lately. Hope she turns that around and letting it grow out a couple inches.

- Alisyn Camerota - Looks great with her hair longer like it is now. Hope she or the scissor happy stylist don't go chopping her.

- Robin Meade - On the other hand could stand to cut her hair back to about shoulder length without layers.

Hope others will post as well.

Date Posted: December 19 2010 at 5:31pm
Agree with the others about Alex Witt...straigher and my opinion needs to be a little shorter.
Patti...want to like it but don't...think she needs some sort of style...maybe layer, bangs...
Robin - please go with shoulder length cut and get rid of the wispy layers...I also liked her bangs more on the forehead.
As ace1308 said...Callie Northagen's (HSN) short cut is awesome!

Date Posted: December 21 2010 at 6:16pm
A few more thoughts

Jessica Yellen great hair, length and color

Kyra Phillips Hair is to dark for her.

Richele Cary Great hair.

Susan Hendricks Great hair, great length and color, just should change her style once in awhile.

Alyson Comerota agree with DMB its the best she has had for quite awhile.

Christie Paul great look on her, but her hair looks kinda overprocessed.

Mary Snow She has been "growing out" for about 5 years. Color seems very harsh on her.

Elisibeth Cohen Had very short hair for years. Hard to get use to her with longer hair.

Chris Jansing Has been getting longer, looks great on her.

I have to say that Robin Meade is one of the few who constantly varies her look. Hair up, down, pony, curly, straight, girl next door, Happy Hooker (meant in only the nicest way ala Julia Roberts).

GRH

-------------
ACE

Date Posted: December 22 2010 at 9:00am

Just 'cause I have the time, I'll jump in and brain dump a big more.  And if you don't know some of these folks, jump over to tvheads.com or the actual news site and look'em up...

- Melissa Francis (CNBC): Melissa has a great cut and a great blonde color.  Only problem is she should be a brunette.  Nothing to do with my affinity for that shade, but that the blonde is completely wrong for her skin tone and totally washes her out.  This is my premier example lately of how you can have great hair that really should be on someone else's head.

- Christie Paul (CNN): Has had the same style since...well...I'm not sure she's ever had a different style.  Sure she could change it up and add bangs or something, but it works for her and there's really nothing wrong with a look that works consistently.  I mean, there's no reason for Cindy Crawford to go short, is there?

- Jenna Lee (Fox News): Jenna's got the best red hair in TV news. Sure, that's somewhat akin to saying that Cleveland has the best pro football team in Ohio, but it typically looks great on a daily basis.  It did look better daily when she was on Fox Business before Fox News, but that could be because all the cameras are tuned to best film blonde hair...

- Robin Meade (CNN): Had to throw my requisite Robin comment in here.  Looks like her ill-fated short bangs experiment has finally grown out enough for her to push them to the side and have them blend well into her style.  The three or four days where she went with the straight curled bangs across her forehead was a quick reminder of why you rarely see that with long hair anymore because it can looks so disconnected. 

Case in point: A friend had hair to mid-back and got her hubby to "trim" her bangs which were about to the bottom of her nose.  Unfortunately, they ended up about an inch north of her eyebrows.  By the time she got to me, I had to take about 3-4 inches off the length to get her to a "Bettie Page" type style and away from a "4 yo found the scissors" look. Smile

- Natalie Morales (NBC): Has let her hair grow quite a bit of late and gone with a very layered, almost feathered look.  It sounds dated, but actually comes off more stylish and retro (e.g., like Katie Holmes' ode to Jaclyn Smith).  Check her out when she shows up on Today again soon - if she hasn't cut/changed it.  It's really somewhat of a surprising style, especially in how well it works for her.  One of those, "Oh, that looks a lot better than I thought it would from how you described it" 'dos.

- Savannah Guthrie (NBC): Currently sporting a center-parted Rachel.  Her look could be improved in two simple ways: 1) Move the part to the side. 2) Cut it in any other style.  At all.  First time in a while I've seen someone this loyal to a style that is really doesn't work at all for her.  I mean, even Katie Couric realized that her most recent pass at a pixie was...uh...let's say unflattering.  Nah, it actually made her look like she was contemplating becoming Karl Couric.

As usual,
JF

-------------

Date Posted: December 26 2010 at 8:38pm

Date Posted: December 26 2010 at 8:44pm
Ann Coulter - The long blonde hair does nothing at all for her! It's time she see a hairstylist and get a major makeover and lose a great deal of that mop she calls hair. The length of her hair makes her face look longer then it is to start with. Not sure how it should be cut but it needs to be cut. She is so over due for a new hairstyle it isn't funny. I a say chop, chop ASAP.

Posted By: makeitshort
Date Posted: December 26 2010 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by DMB61 DMB61 wrote:

Ann Coulter - The long blonde hair does nothing at all for her! It's time she see a hairstylist and get a major makeover and lose a great deal of that mop she calls hair. The length of her hair makes her face look longer then it is to start with. Not sure how it should be cut but it needs to be cut. She is so over due for a new hairstyle it isn't funny. I a say chop, chop ASAP.

I agree it needs to be cut.  It is definitely too long for a guy. Wink

Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 2:39pm
A few more ramblings

Christie Paul looking better than ever lately. Actually she did get quite a bit cut a few years ago, but kept the same style.

Christine Romans Letting her hair grow some. Looks great on her.

Samantha Mohr Weather Channel Another great very short hair lady.

Bonnie Schnieder Needs a style. Hair seems very tight.

-------------
ACE

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: December 31 2010 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by DMB61 DMB61 wrote:

Funny, every time I see her, I wish she'd grow it longer. Long, silky blonde hair. even bottle blonde, looks ultra-sensuous on women. Clap Bob

Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 11:40am
A couple more thoughts

Alex Witt  Sure wish she would get rid of the curley look. It looks unkempt to me.

Megan Kelly Looks great
Brooke Anderson Looks ok but sometimes looks very flat on top. 

Ansley Erhart looks ok but needs a style.

Kyra Phillips love the red but is way to dark

Erica Hill has has a minor trim going into the new show.

Kate bolduan Hairdtyle needs a little pick me up.

Seems like we have had a few years of great hair growth.
Are we in for major changes (Long to shorter) this year.
I remember when a few years ago almost all had very short haircuts and the execption to the rule really stood out.

-------------
ACE

Posted By: xxxzvp
Date Posted: January 16 2011 at 1:34pm
Did I miss something? I really don't remember a few years ago when almost all of these ladies had very short haircuts.

Date Posted: January 18 2011 at 4:54am

I agree with Ace1308, Alex Witt, does need to lose the curls. She looks her best with straight one length hair. I would also style her hair different ways, ponytail, up, sides pulled back and maybe a headband. I might even cut in some bangs for her.Wink

Posted By: serro1
Date Posted: January 26 2011 at 6:15pm
she has so beautiful curl if it's straight it will be not look as good.
http://www.sackaynakpro.com -

-------------

Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 3:50pm
Alex is looking great! Which way do you perfer her hair styled?
1) Curly
2) Straight
http://www.imagebam.com/image/a091b3131564791">   http://www.imagebam.com/image/851c4f131564803">

The two pictures are from this past weekend, Saturday - Curly and Sunday - Straight

Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 6:14pm
Straight for me.

-------------

Date Posted: May 11 2011 at 1:37pm
Curly for me.

Print Page | Close Window