Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How long would you grow it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 6:54am
Uzma - I have yet to find a "long hair" afficionado in person here where I live...I mean, I have friends who wear their hair long...a few inches past shoulder if that is considered long. But I think it is just the style they happen to be wearing now. They all blowdry and color it and don't really seem to have the same reverence we have for it.
It would be awesome to have a live person to hang out with and braid my hair!

I will celebrate with you on Aug 13!

Jacqui
andi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 7:00am
Years ago a magazine ( I think it was New Scientist or Omni) asked the question 'how do you weigh your head?' The issue being, without decapitating yourself how do you only weigh the head and not any part of the body - if you put your head on the scales of course your body is adding to the total mass weighed.

'How do you weigh your hair?' as a much harder question :-) Lets say you are not allowed to cut it all off and put it on the scales...

As another 'hair maths' question - we know that hair appears shorter when plaited as it weaves rather than is straight. There ought to be a direct relationship between hair thickness and length 'lost'......
''A single open mind
can open any door'
Sonia Rutstein
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 10:27am
Thanks for the invitation, Uzi! I wish I could go. I'd love to visit England someday. I'm so pathetic. I'm 24 and I don't even have a passport yet!
Gunther wouldn't be so excited about coming, however. That's a long plane ride to endure without a litter box!

Ahem, anyway...
I agree. It would be great to have a local friend to hang out with and play with hair. Share conditioner. :)

As for weighing hair... couldn't you just get a basket-like scale? Like they have in the produce section? If you stood very near to the scale, or stood with your head hovering just above it, and put all your hair in the basket, I think you'd get a pretty accurate reading.
I don't however recommend trying this at your local grocery store. No THAT would gross out your fellow customers and probably attract some store employees real fast.
But in theory... :)

And I should think you could weigh your head this way, if you wanted. You'd have to lie down on a bed, with your head sticking off the head of the bed. Then put the scale right there, and relax and let the scale hold your head. You'd have to have your shoulders and neck supported by the bed.

Traci
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 1:16pm
Hey Jacqui

My new hair-buddies are way out of my league. One has tailbone length hair at age 21, and the other is at thigh length at age 24.
I'm the oldie of 38, at just past shoulder-length learning from these young lasses .

I hope you find some chums that you can "talk hair" with in RL. But if not, you still have all of us here .

SuperGrover

you kill me, honey.

If I see anyone furtively weighing their hair in the fruit section at the supermarket, I'll know who is responsible for that crazy act...YOU, ya mad gal...tee hee
Uzi

uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 1:20pm
ooo forgot to say:

Great braids, Dave and Amanda.

Can you imagine if the two triads tried walking around with the braids in place..........the amaxing 3-bodied braid monster..........what a riot .

Uzi

3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 2:00pm
ooooh, those braids are so beautiful! I love the contrasting colors and symbolism of them! So very warm and chummy!

Jean
3katz
Girl Tia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Girl Tia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 6:44pm
I love my long hair.

How long would I grow it???
Well it is nearly mid-back now.
Would I want it longer???Maybe a little past my wiast would be long enough.
I keep it trimmed at my current length however, just haven''''t gotten around to growing it longer.
Girl Tia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Girl Tia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 6:47pm
I should add, I love my hair in rollers!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 8:02pm
Thanks, Amanda Panda!
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 11:45am
count me in for tailbone length but who knows the more it grows the more i love it i keep moving the length. the longer it grows the longer i want it lol. as for now tailbone
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 1:44pm
So here is what our length aspirations look like:

Waist-length = 5 SuperGrover, CrazyGirl, Laine, Jacqui and Girl Tia

Tailbone-length = 1 Monica

Ankle-length = 2 AmandaPanda and Karrinne

Full potential length = 6 Jean, papillion_purple, Kintaro, Grenwich, Dave and myself

Anything beyond waist-length in my city (London) is atypical.
I spot tailbone-length maybe 4 times a year.
Anything beyone tailbone is very rare.

So, we’re all quite a dedicated bunch of looooong hair growers.
So pleased to know you all and to be in such good company.

Looooooooooooooooooooong may we all grow
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 9:03pm
Well, here in scorching hot Florida, waist length is a rarity. I spot thigh length maybe once a year....It is definitely important to become well practiced in the art of braiding during the torturous months of summer!

I am so looking to feeling my hair at my elbows and waist!! Sometime next year my hair will reflect my soul. (hopefully, if it is still on the 1/2" track.

jacqui
Benji the Sausage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benji the Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 4:18pm
My goal is waist length as I'm in High School and really would have issues with EXTREMELY long hair (which I dye as of now because my natural color is ugly) when in school and stuff. in te long run id grw it as ong as t would go.
BSL/Blonde/Chemically Treated (abused)
1b/cMii
I swear by Redken Extreme and Shea Butter.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by hairalways hairalways wrote:

Well, here in scorching hot Florida, waist length is a rarity. I spot thigh length maybe once a year....It is definitely important to become well practiced in the art of braiding during the torturous months of summer!

I am so looking to feeling my hair at my elbows and waist!! Sometime next year my hair will reflect my soul. (hopefully, if it is still on the 1/2" track.

jacqui

Jacqui!

You don't see much long hair in Florida? Whereabouts do you live, if I may ask? Here in the greater Tampa Bay region I see LOTS of long hair. I've been noticing that an increasingly large number of girls and women have waist-length hair. I see "classic" length hair on others about once every few weeks.

I do agree with you that braids here are a must during the tortuous 7 months of summer!

Here's hoping your hair continues to grow at 6 inches per year. If it helps, that's how fast my hair grows.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 9:08pm
DAve - No WAY do you live in Tampa. So do I!!

I live in South Tampa, Westshore area....."The Land of the BMW SUV driving soccer moms" (me and my Mazda just don't fit in). Everyone over here sports a shag cut or some modification of it......you see a lot of bobs too. I guess I was referring more to women in their 30's. There are young girls who wear their hair long, bsl to be the most common. I guess I am just not hanging out in the right places.

What a coincidence!! So where do you like to pay Golf round here? Pebble Creek, Hunters Green, Westchase? USF?

Jacqui
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2003 at 6:51pm
LOL! Jacqui... it's a small world, indeed!

I have played golf at all the courses you've mentioned, and more. The area is a sanctuary for golf lovers.

Yes, I guess those in their 20s generally seem to be have the longest hair, while those in their 30s are more prone to bobs... though they, too, are growing them out some (I know quite a few who are).

Another Tampaite... Tampanian... Tampan? (nah, sounds too much like something else) What do you call someone who lives in Tampa? I know, I know... a resident of Tampa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 5:53am
Very cool! My husband loves the newer courses. Doesn't get to play much lately tho.

Yes! Bring on the new wave of women in their 30's with longer hair!

I will be the pioneer who will inspire the masses (feeling rather full of it this AM)

I have seen Tampanians written on plaques at the Library and such...so I think that's what the folks here like to be called...I was going with Tampans for a while before someone corrected me (embarrassing story involving too much wine and people who my husband works with and didn't want to be embarrassed in front of)

jacqui
RedJen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedJen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 7:31am
Hi there (off-and-on poster here.)

I'm going for full potential. I'm between tailbone and classic-length right now, hoping to hit classic by Christmas (it grows SLOOOOW!) My ultimate goal, though, is to see how long it can get.
20/42/as long as it will get
2b/Red
Nez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 11:05am
Hmm maybe to my waist, I don't think I would go any longer. Probably a good 6 inches short of that though.
galadriel~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galadriel~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 6:34pm
Right now my goal is 38" but I bet when I reach that goal I'll want classic length. After all when I started my goal was waist lenght.
23/34/38 2c iii
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic