Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long hair on boys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 2:06pm
Sorry read that wrong =P I really should register so I can edit.

Just leave it alone and don't say anything about it to him, if he wants it cut he'll decide himself.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 5:34pm
In your photos he didn't look like a girl, and that is at an age where there is a certain degree of androgyny. If he likes his hair, and doesn't get too much food, mud or insects stuck in it then there is no need to change it. I think he's gorgeous, a sweet little cherub. Let him stay like that at least until he's a spotty, moody teenager!.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2003 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by enfys enfys wrote:

Let him stay like that at least until he's a spotty, moody teenager!.

Hey I take offence at that.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2003 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Vineman Vineman wrote:

Hey I take offence at that.

Don't worry Vineman. We know you are a very wise and mature young man. We would never confuse you with someone who is spotty or moody.

Oh, and welcome to membership!
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2003 at 7:00am
But I am spotty and moody =( That doesn't make me a bad person or any less Unique compared to others. And I am unique, I've always been the odd guy out since I was young.
This is my signature. It's not a very
good signature, but it's a signature
nonetheless.
Mom from Colorado View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mom from Colorado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 12:54pm
My son is 30 months with long curly blond hair. We have if shorter in the front and shaved on the sides above the ears (almost mullet like) and he seems to love the attention. Occassionally he is mistaken for a girl, but he quickly lets them know that he is a boy. I don't think that all little boys should have to have politician hair. They are young and full of energy...why should we be so judgemental and make our children look like adults? It's their worth really that they exist, not the length of their hair? If he seems to not like it or gets offended that he is called a girl from time to time, cut it. If he doesn't mind, let it go if you want.
KingVyse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingVyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2004 at 10:53pm
Omg,who cares,he is just a little kid still,i had curly long hair at that age and looked like a girl(until i got a little older),im a hell of alot older now and i could cair less about back then.I kinda like it too because now i got an idea of how my hair looked long.so i say just keep the kids hair long.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 6:55am
Becasue this topic filtered up again:

At the easter parade there was a chubby 10 year old "girl" sitting behind us blowing bubbles. "She" looked very female. Someone asked my friend where the bubbles were comeing form and she replied "They are from this lady behind us". The "lady behind us" countered "I am a boy". Ooops! sorry!

He really looked feminine. Especialy blowing bubbles like that...
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2004 at 4:05pm
Oops! Oh well. The nature of humans seems to be to need to immediately identify the gender of others...
Esther View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 10:49am
Boy oh Boy, I'm so confused, My grandson is 3 1/2 and has the most beautiful curly locks that would put Shirley temple to shame. After reading everyones comments I feel guilty for pressuring my daughter into cutting his hair. It's not that I don't like it long, I braid it to keep it off his face, but I guess my opinion was more to please society, maybe she should wait!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2004 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Esther Esther wrote:

Boy oh Boy, I'm so confused, My grandson is 3 1/2 and has the most beautiful curly locks that would put Shirley temple to shame. After reading everyones comments I feel guilty for pressuring my daughter into cutting his hair. It's not that I don't like it long, I braid it to keep it off his face, but I guess my opinion was more to please society, maybe she should wait!

For her son of 3 1/2, she should do what she sees fit. A good and decent society is made up of all the people in it, including those who decide that their very young children will have long hair.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2004 at 6:06am
I was thinking about this whole subject again and thought of the kids of my families friends whom each had long hair untill they choose to cut it in highschool. They are the children of hippies...and their long locks had some style to them too...kindof a shaggy 60s look. A

nyways they were teased some but if I recall the same people who teased them teased my sister for being slightly chubby when she was a child (Ironicaly now my sister is gorgeous and fit, and they put on weight), and teased me about my long hair and when was I going to ever cut it...even my shorter lenghts were still very long to them, thye wanted it styled and cut to shoulderlenght.
Bearnup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bearnup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2004 at 9:08am
I seem to remember the origins of this thread when it came up way back when. Anywho....

Hair length should be ALL about CHOICE, and that choice should be for the person whose head is wearing the hair....

With that said our 11 yr old daughter Ellen just had her waist length hair cut to just below her shoulders. She asked to get it cut in about March -- because it was to much trouble to brush herself and she didn't like using detanglers or having someone else brush it for her. The ONLY reason it wasn't cut THEN was at our (her parent's) request. Ellen was going to be junior bridesmaid in a May wedding and we asked her to keep her hair long so it could be put in a bun for the wedding. Ellen said that would be fine. Had she objected and asked to cut her hair we would have taken for a cut back in March.

The wedding was Saturday that MONDAY ellen made a donation of hair to locks of love. She looks pretty with the shorter hair...just like she looked pretty with her long hair..but I am her dad so she always looks pretty to me.

My wife and I are both still growing our hair long and beautiful.

As I said at the start -- We need to remember that kids are people too -- They have feelings, opinions and ideas that are just as important as the grown-ups responsible for their care.

Peace
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 5:46am
I second that, Bearnup. Haven't seen you in quite awhile. Glad you're around.

In fact, there was an update to this long and old post. The boy's grandmother was apparently embarrased at his long hair and took him for a forced haircut without the mother's knowing it! It was a traumatic experience for both the mother and the boy. I of course joined the discussion condemning this action. But the wider issue began to be debated on the forum, big time. I argued vehemently with a person who didn't see things the way I did - and essentially wanted to shut me up. That person insulted me for some of my views and then this continued on other threads. Then that person and one or two others I think began attacking other posters for their opinions on other subjects. As if we don't have a right to disagree. Finally, HairTalk was shut down for awhile, offending posters banned, and I think at least one very constructive poster apparently scared off the boards!
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 12:36pm
Just plain wrong.

My two cents.
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by arch94 arch94 wrote:

Just plain wrong.

My two cents.

What's "just plain wrong?"
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 1:32pm
Hint...read the topic of the message thread.

Again...my two cents.
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2004 at 9:25am
Why is it just plain wrong? It's been done for hundreds of years, only the last century or so has seen widespread short hair.
This is my signature. It's not a very
good signature, but it's a signature
nonetheless.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2004 at 10:51am
Originally posted by arch94 arch94 wrote:

Hint...read the topic of the message thread.

Again...my two cents.

Thanks for clarifying your meaning.

That said, I don't think your comment is appreciated here. Ask yourself, how do you think a "short hair on boys is just plain wrong" (or "short hair on girls is just plain wrong") message on the short hair board would be received? Do you think the people there would gladly say, "Oh yes, you are so right, short hair is just plain wrong, and thank you for enlightening us!"

Why don't you elaborate on why you think long hair on boys is "just plain wrong?" I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

(And BTW, what is the significance of the TCB and lightning bolt in your sig avatar?)
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2004 at 3:03pm
Hmmmm......where to start? If you notice, for quite a long time now, i've ended every one of my posts with "my two cents". I just don't think guys should have long hair. Funny though, I'm a short haired fan on girls too. Wow, never thought of it that way. Maybe someday society will say long hair was supposed to be mainly on guys, and the short hair was for the ladies....now that's a plan i like.

Of course my "opinion" is not popular on the long hair support board. I didn't expect it to be. Again though, it's my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...and I have both.

The "TCB and bolt" are purely Elvis. Ask any Elvis fan worth their salt, and they should know. He had jewelry made with that design, a wall in his house painted with it, and the symbol was on the tailwings of his airplanes. It stands for takin care of business in a flash.

My two cents.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic