Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long hair on boys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
cadensmama2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadensmama2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long hair on boys
    Posted: August 16 2003 at 2:15am
i would like to get an unbiased opinion...my son is 15 mo old with the most beautiful blondish hair that is just starting to get long and thick. so much so that people are starting to mistake him for a girl (no matter what color he wears) it is only hitting the top of his back so its not super long or anything, but i would like to let it grow longer. a woman actually accused me of neglect and abuse for letting his hair grow!! should i cut it so people dont tease him? he can always make his own decisions later...(i would attach pic if i knew how..i'm not very computer literate!!)
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 10:35am
Hi cadensmama (and all):

If your son is safe, clean, healthy, and happy, I fail to see how letting his hair grow could be called neglect and abuse. Ignore her; if she'd worked in the nursing and teaching fields as long as I have, she'd know what true child neglect and abuse looks like. Your child's beautiful hair is simply another way for you to treasure and enjoy him. I'm interested to hear what others here have to say about this!

Uzi-Keep the hair prayers coming; I've been involuntarily transferred to an inner-city middle school. Hey, as long as I keep my sense of humor, the hair will survive! I think I will need to be very good to myself, and buy lots of hair treats!

And on that note, I'm off to enjoy this beautiful Saturday! You guys have a good weekend, too.

Jean
3katz
Tódia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tódia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 11:01am
i think he should make the desicion when he`s older.. it`s not very usual for young boys to have long hair. but it`s you`ve got to make the choice. lol
Annette
Karrinne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrinne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 11:58am
My son had beautiful blonde curls. I didn't cut his hair til he was four. People would think he was a girl because of his beautiful curls.
He is now 22, and has dark hair which he is growing out.
If you like it and keep it nice, grow it out. He'll tell you when he's ready to get it cut!
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 3:47pm
There is nothing wrong with a boy having longer hair. Infact many cultures include boys/men having long hair.
I know a Somoan (spelling) family, and the 2 older girls and 1 boy, from the back you cannot differenate who is who. They all have gorgeous thick wavy long black hair. The other girl is just over a year, and her hair is growing.

IMHO, babies, and even toddlers can look one sex or the other, it just depends on how you dress them. Good luck on keeping the food out of that hair

Grow the hair out, it isn't hurting him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadensmama2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 8:38pm
i think i figured out how to post caden's pic..now you can give me a better idea on if i should cut his hair :(

http://f2.pg.photo.yahoo.com/cadensmama2002
Gollan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 9:36pm
Quote hould i cut it so people dont tease him?
As a young boy I was teased mercilessly and I had *short* hair. Kids will tease other kids. If his hair is short, they will find something else to tease him about. (The thing that got me teased was my grandmother's enjoyment of dressing me in little sailor suits). The best thing you can do for your son as far as teasing goes is to instill in him a strong sense of self-esteem and teach him to completely ignore the taunts of others. As for his hair, if you have the courage to deal with everything a toddler and young boy could do to his long hair I say go for it (and I salute you).
grant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 10:34pm
You should let it grow. Grow it until he is old enough to understand about his hair, and when he is let him do whatever he wants to his hair, but try convincing him to keep the long hair. Let him choose for himself when he is older and then he will be happy either way, short or long hair.

When he is older, people will be able to tell that he's a boy. Its just the age that he's at. Often people asume that if a baby has long hair than its a girl. Kids get teased about everything. Kids can be teased for having a funny looking short hair style. So don't worry, he will get used to it.

Good Luck.
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2003 at 4:20am
Cadensmama

The correct link is
http://photos.yahoo.com/cadensmama2002

That will get people into there.

He is a cutie!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadensmama2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2003 at 7:31pm
thanks Laine..I'm still pretty new @ this computer thing!! after all the input, I think I will let it grow a little longer.. at least till his dad throws a fit...thanks to all!!!!
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 7:39am
Cadensmama,

Your son is a cutie pie. I agree with Gollan - kids will tease other kids for just about anything. So I wouldn't let other kids potential teasing be the only factor in your decision. As far as that woman accusing you of abuse and neglect, well, if she was pointing a finger at you she should realize that there were 3 fingers pointing back at her. Next time someone says something ignorant like that to you just say "bag it" and walk away.

Let us know what you decide!
Caramia
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 8:23am
What a beautiful baby...he looks like such a sweetheart...you're very blessed. As for the hair? IMO let it continue to grow, adds to those eyes and precious baby charm.

Keep us posted!!
Mylissa
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 9:40am
Thank you for asking this question and
for wanting the best for your son. I will
answer it on two levels.

1) The first part of my answer is very
straightforward: it is my adamant opinion
that CADEN should make the final choice
about HIS hair. Thus, if he wants to keep
it long as you have let it grow, and
tolerate teasing, let him. That is kudos
for his character - he can stand up to it.
On the other hand, if he is one day upset
because kids tease him about it, or if he
wants it cut for another reason, it's his
hair again and you should allow it. By
all means, suggest he sleep on it, plainly
make him aware of the consequences
(if he cuts it and doesn't like it, it'll take a
long time to grow back) but do not be
obsessive about trying to get him to (or
making him) keep it. This is posessive
and wholly unnecessary. At his age, I
don't think he'll be asking to cut it, but
he may not like you cutting his hair, so
allow him to make his own decision
about it.

2) As for growing it longer, this is a
tougher one. Again, what he wants
(yes, at his age he may well be able
to express a preference) should be
paramount, but I don't know if it would
be a good idea to cut it (if he doesn't
mind) or not let it grow longer if it
would spare him being teased. On one
hand, I am against conformism and
have respect for guys with long hair.
On the other hand, your son shouldn't
be forced to change the world, so
some conformity to what his peers are
like (I repeat if he doesn't mind
conforming) may be helpful. Kids are
likely to tease for anything, but
especially for anything "weird" (even
if I liked sailor suits, and I think they're
ridiculous, I'd never put one on a son
of mine. Too "weird"). Does that mean
parents should never do anything
unusual to their childrens' dress? Maybe
but not necessarily - it's a difficult
question. I will therefore not advise you
to cut his hair, but consider not letting
it grow much longer (unless he wants
to, again) and keeping it tied back. And
if you do decide to cut it, I would advise
you not to cut it too short. He doesn't
need a "short back and sides" (tapered
short classic male haircut) to look like a
boy, indeed I find such a haircut makes
a little boy look forlorn. A longer,
relatively short haircut would probably
be the best answer if you do decide to
cut it. But before deciding to do so, use
your good judgement and don't let what
you want get in the way of what would
make him happy.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 10:30am
Ho hum....Is society still regarding long hair as a female trait.
Well, that's fundamentally wrong as Nature proves.

I would ignore the wishes of anyone other than the person of whom the hair is a part.

Beauty expresses itself in many forms and is a comfort in this hard world. Lets not remove our own beauty in order to conform to false social ideas and the uglification of the world.

Duke - I agree with you.

Jean - Sending you more prayers and wishing you success in your life.
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 9:12pm
Wake up and smell the expresso! This is the year 2003! Men or women should be able in a free society to wear their hair as long or short as they want! Geeeeeeezzzzz! Give me a break! And if someone is so stupid they can't tell the difference between a guy and a gal, regardless of their hair length, then they are an idiot!

People should just wear their hair how they want,.......... and if someone doesn't like your son's long hair,..... well train your kid in karate so he can kick the friggin daylights out of the creep who is giving him a bad time about it!

Zap! Pow! Make your kid a tough guy so he can be as mean as the creeps who bother him are!
tina
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 3:17pm
I see no harm in it since he's probably too young to care either way. When he is old enough to start having opinions, I think you should ask him yourself if he'd like to have his hair cut. He's just a kid so it's not that serious. :)
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2003 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Jenna Jenna wrote:

He's just a kid so it's not that serious. :)

AGEISM ALERT!
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 7:25am
Something to remember. He is only 14 months old. DO what you want to do as a parent.

My personal opinion is that very young children should have shorter hair untill they are old enough to know the difference and prefer one way to another. Even then very long hair on a younger kid can be too much if they are not tidy about it. i wouldnt want to be the parent who has to constantly tie their hair up.

Anyways, I think as a young boy it should be short untill hes old enough to tell that hes a boy even with long hair and only then if he wants it long.

As a man, I prefer men with long hair...i wish my boyfriend had long hair. But unless the kid wants it long, keep it short untill hes more manly and do always let him know how hansome he will look when it is long, when he is older. I think middleschool is a good age for a boy to have long hair and still look male.

In highschool and beyond he shouldnt get teased at all really unless he is efeminate. Then its normal for guys to have longer hair.

Just whatever you do dont go for the rat tail look!!! Even if you think you can see how long his hair could have been if your keeping it short still dont do the rat tail! Thats far worse than being called a girl every once in a while...in my opinion...

but of course I AM a girl...so maybe my opinion is off about that =)
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 7:25am
Something to remember. He is only 14 months old. DO what you want to do as a parent.

My personal opinion is that very young children should have shorter hair untill they are old enough to know the difference and prefer one way to another. Even then very long hair on a younger kid can be too much if they are not tidy about it. i wouldnt want to be the parent who has to constantly tie their hair up.

Anyways, I think as a young boy it should be short untill hes old enough to tell that hes a boy even with long hair and only then if he wants it long.

As a man, I prefer men with long hair...i wish my boyfriend had long hair. But unless the kid wants it long, keep it short untill hes more manly and do always let him know how hansome he will look when it is long, when he is older. I think middleschool is a good age for a boy to have long hair and still look male.

In highschool and beyond he shouldnt get teased at all really unless he is efeminate. Then its normal for guys to have longer hair.

Just whatever you do dont go for the rat tail look!!! Even if you think you can see how long his hair could have been if your keeping it short still dont do the rat tail! Thats far worse than being called a girl every once in a while...in my opinion...

but of course I AM a girl...so maybe my opinion is off about that =)
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Tódia Tódia wrote:

i think he should make the desicion when he's older.. it's not very usual for young boys to have long hair. but it's you've got to make the choice. lol

No, it's his choice, a 15 year old is perfectly Sentient and Self aware most of the time, they can make immature decisions but so can adults, the only difference is that they are better at covering it up.

What's usual doesn't matter, unusual things are better. Who wants to see yet another 1" haircut walking down the street... if you like short hair there's plenty already.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic