Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Loss and Hair Extensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brownie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Loss and Hair Extensions
    Posted: December 21 2000 at 6:32am
Reply to message: 8.304.1
I have been putting my own perms in for almost ten years now. It just so happens that the last perm I put in produce two tiny bald patches about the size of a pea. Each day that I combed my hair, the bald area would get larger. I almost lost my mind. What was I going to do? After about 3 weeks, these two bald patches where as big as half dollars. And what did I do? I shaved all of my hair off. It was difficult for me but it was something that I felt I had to do. And as far as going out in public, well, I just throw on a hat or wrap some African fabric around my bean. No big deal.
janetsimba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetsimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2000 at 12:40pm
To Rhonda,
Please could you tell me what an intergration system is? Also my hair has stopped falling out but is still very visible I really want hair extensions but dont know whether to or not. I live in Engand in Solihull near Birmingham and I wondered if you knew any places which did the extensions. Please help
Thanx Sarah
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2000 at 9:35am
Rhonda, What is an integration system and where do you go to get it. I am interested. thanks, Laurie
harris2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harris2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2000 at 8:56pm
Hello, I am a student at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tn. I have been currently wearing a corn row method of weaving. Everyone loves my hair but I hate it because of the limited styling options. I wanted to know if you knew about other weaving methods and hairstylists in the Nashville or Memphis area in Tennessee.
ashe2501 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashe2501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2000 at 1:14pm
My hair has been slowly falling out for the past 7 years, since I was 19-20. Right now, I have very thin, fine hair, and am balding around my bangs-area. For years, I was told by my friend/stylist that the only way I could wear my hair is a bob, with my bangs trying to camoflauge my scalp. However, I thought that there had to be a better way, but I didn't want to hurt her feelings, and everytime I would ask her for something different, she would pooh-pooh the idea. After all, she was doing it for free, what right did I have to have what I wanted??

So, on Friday, I finally found the style I wanted, and I made myself an appt at the best, most expensive salon in town. I had my long, mousy-brown hair highlighted and cut into a layered bob, which is about 3-inches on top, and only jaw-length. I love it. I can brush the hair forward, where it kind of thickens up the thinness in the front. Also, the blonde highlights really do make a difference. With my dark hair, my scalp was very obvious, but with the highlights, you really don't notice my scalp now.

I think that this particular style would be flattering to most facial shapes, I have an oval shape, but it tends to be a little rounder than I like (ha ha), but certainly not "round". However, it's a very versatile 'do, I can sweep it forward (which I don't like, but could be done for a round face), puff it up (which I like, but it sounds like you wouldn't!), it even looks pretty good flat! I can picture, too, that if I wanted to get extensions (which I have heard that I should never do, it makes your hair fall out worse. But this was also the woman who told me I should never get layers), I imagine that it would look pretty good, too.

My point is, a good stylist should be able to work with your concerns. Find a cut that you think you will be comfortable with, and ask him or her if it will work with your situation. They deal with this stuff everyday, as hard as it seems.

I am so excited about my experience, that I am going to school and getting my license, so that I can help others.

If my description isn't good, I can direct you to a picture that I was inspired by. I hope this helps!
STUDIO36TH View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STUDIO36TH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2000 at 1:39am
HI LISA,

I HAVE BEEN AN EXTENSIONIST FOR 12 YEARS AND BASED ON WHAT YOU HAVE DESCRIBED, I PROBABLY WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND EXTENSIONS FOR YOU AT THIS TIME. WHEN YOUR HAIRLOSS SETTLES DOWN THEN IT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO CONSIDER. IF YOU GET THEM WHILE YOUR HAIR IS FALLING OUT THEN THE EXTENSIONS AREN'T GOING TO LAST AND THEY COULD EVEN PULL MORE HAIR OUT IF THEY ARE APPLIED BUT BECAUSE OF SHEDDING ARE NO LONGER ATTACHED TO THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF HAIR. WHAT I WOULD PROBABLY DO IS GET AN INTEGRATION SYSTEM. YOU CAN PULL YOUR OWN HAIR THROUGH IT AND IT WON'T PULL ANY ADDITIONAL HAIR OUT. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GOOD ONE THAT HAS HUMAN HAIR YOU MAY HAVE TO HAVE IT CUSTOM MADE. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING ONE OR IF YOU WANT A CUSTOM ONE. I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT.

LOTS OF LUCK,
RHONDA
Saiki View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2000 at 5:43am
I recently had surgery and one of the possible post-op side effects is hair loss. Normally it starts around the 3-4 month post-op mark and has been known to carry on till the 6-8 month mark. Problem is that it has started for me and in a BIG way. When I wash my hair I get totally depressed because it looks like I am losing absolute handfuls and already I have noticed thinning at the crown and along my natural part. (Scary!!)

I (normally) have thick shoulder length dark auburn/brown hair and really don't know what to do about the hair loss. I have considered a short short cut as well as having my hair lightened so as the hair loss continues the scalp beneath won't be SO noticeable but honestly, I don't want short short hair. I have a very round face so short hair on me makes my face/head look like a bowling ball. (But then, short is better than having almost bald patches all over the place!)

The only other thing I can think of is hair extensions. But if I am losing hair, I am guessing that if I had hair extensions then I would just lose both my hair and the extension too.

Can anyone help? Advice? Ideas? I'm at a loss and need some help.

Lisa
Saiki@cheerful.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic