Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alexis View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair loss
    Posted: December 08 2002 at 10:33pm
Hello all!

I started taking anti depressants and my hair started falling out really badly. I stop taking them and its still falling out in handfuls. Has anyone experienced this? What should I do? I am seeing my dr next week.
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2002 at 2:36am
I never experienced anything like this while on a medication. It sounds like you had some kind of reaction to it. You should wait and see what your doctor says. And of course don`t take it anymore.
:)
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2002 at 6:48am
Hi Alexis! I`m so sorry to hear this is happening to you-unfortunately, this is a fairly common side effect of anti-depressants. What a crummy situation, huh? You take something to try to help yourself and make things better, and then a new problem comes out of it...:( Anyway, there are some things you can do to fight it;
1) Definitely talk with your doc about it- it sounds like you`re having a very extreme reaction to this stuff & it might be causing you other health problems as well
2)Take a daily mutlivitamin- I know it sounds weird, but Centrum Silver (which is usually for age 60+) actually works & there`s nothing wrong with a younger person taking it.
3)Avoid potentially damaging styles/products (i.e. heat styling, etc.), at least until you`ve talked to your doc- the additional stress on your hair can make it worse.

Altho I`ve never had such an extreme reaction to A-D`s, I have experienced some hair loss because of them (Thank God the one I take now doesn`t do this). When I was 11, I started taking them, and the first one that they put me on caused spotted hair loss (patches falling out)- I had a bald spot for a while...it was nothing short of traumatic. Just so you know, you`re not the only one who`s had this problem.
All the best & God Bless you.
Lotsa Love,
Ingrid :)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
alexis View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2002 at 5:44pm
Thank You so much for your replys. I see my dr tomorrow.

I had my thyroid tested about 3 months ago so I don`t think that could be the problem, my blood test came back fine. we shall wait to see. Im going to go buy the vitamins I should be taking these anyways, it never hurts to have more healthy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic