Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - long hair at age 50
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

long hair at age 50

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: September 18 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 2511
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2004 at 6:22am
I disagree that a long face will never look nice with long hair. I have a long face and the only way I look good is with long hair. And yes, I tried short hair recently, and I felt bad and like I looked horrible for months.

Ya know, this whole face shape thing is just meant to disguise. They say if you have a square face, you should wear your hair short or up. Why? To make your face look less square. Likewise, long hair does not make a long face look less long. Why should we disguise our features to try to get everyone to look the same? There's nothing wrong with a square face or a long face, why are we supposed to hide it as if it's bad? One of the reasons I look best with long hair is because enhancing my unusual long face actually makes me look unique, and this works with my features.



Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Back to Top
HD_EU View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 17 2004
Location: Europe
Status: Offline
Points: 124
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 5:08am
Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Amaaaazzzing. If you keep telling yourself that your hormones aren't decreasing, HD, maybe you'll start to believe it.


Sing Hallelujaaah! eKatherine has found the way to beat biology! Don't ever take a medecine - your doc is wrong, eKatherine is right! Mind over matter!

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

You may feel that older women are worthless hags who should shave their heads in order to be subservient to the wishes of Mother Nature as you are channeling them.


Well eKatherine, is that how you feel of older women "worthless hags"? Then shouting the opposite to try to get that thought to go away?
Because it CERTAINLY is not the way I look at older women. And should you read my post instead of beginning to fulminate if you read something that differs from your point of view!

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

I just know that when I let my hair down at the end of a workday.
A bad hair day is when the ends pop out of my bun and it looks like I did it on purpose.


Oh my God, could it be that eKatherine does something to look more attractive (as I've suggested too?) ... could she be human after all?

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

... perhaps you remember the pop psychology book I'm OK, You're OK. I just think this is a situation of "I'm OK, you need to mind your own business".


Well that's our eKatherine again: she's OK, knows it all and the rest needs to keep their mouth, if they don't agree with her that is. Praise her and your OK, otherwise beware... Here she prooves one thing is not accurate all the time: the older, the wiser. Yep - eKatherine beats the facts of life, yet again!

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Maybe I'm intimidating?


Wishfull thinking??? The words stuborn and closed-minded seem to pop to my mind. Try to respect someone elses opinion for once ... could be refreshing!


Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

Ya know, this whole face shape thing is just meant to disguise. ... Why? To make your face look less square. Likewise, long hair does not make a long face look less long. Why should we disguise our features to try to get everyone to look the same?


Dear Susan, check out some research on that area: people that have a regular symmetrical oval face (3x1/3 in length - forehead, nose, lips and chin- and 2x1/3 in width) are generally regarded as 'beautiful'. I can't change that. As you might know (how unfair it is), 'beautiful' people get a better salary than more capable persons that don't conform to this ideal. The 'beautiful' people get more things done than others. Just a general fact of life. That's why hairdressers advice to make your look more balanced. Not because they are maniacs (exceptions always possible in both directions - read eKatherine's post as a good example), but because a better looking person (according to the general idea) gets more done.

As hairdressers should give advice (without pushing you), you are always free to do what you like. When you don't like yourself with shorter hair, then have it long! Even the best looking persons will look bad when they're unhappy. So in your case - you'll look better (because happier) with long hair than short.
Back to Top
AnnaT View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: December 21 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 11:28pm
A long face will never look nice with long hair, no matter what age. ?

I knew it ! All those people - they were doing nothing but paying false compliments towards me on this exact subject (face shape and long hair) all this time. It's a conspiracy I tell you !

From talking to SOME older women - I've found that they believe that short hair is easier to take care of than long hair. Hence the short hair.

Though I'm a couple decades from the big 50 - I put my long hair up quite often. Why - you may ask ? Well, it's not "sagging jowls" "the effects of gravity" or anything like that. I'm an engineer that doesn't want to risk being scalped by various machinery ! Well - even when I'm not at work - I put my hair up. I love how elegant the hair looks in various updo's. There are so many beautiful variations

I have heard that there is a correlation between "good looks" and higher pay. Even though it is cute, trendy etc - I wouldn't be happy with short hair. Sad looking people of any length of hair are probably not as attractive as people who are happy with themselves and with what they consider beautiful. Thankfully, I work in an industry in which we are judged on the results that we produce - not on some abstract concept of what beauty is.

I remember reading on another board that the idea that older women "should" cut their long hair is just a way to try to deny their sexuality. Food for thought.

Peace !

Back to Top
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 28 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by AnnaT AnnaT wrote:

A long face will never look nice with long hair, no matter what age. ?

I knew it ! All those people - they were doing nothing but paying false compliments towards me on this exact subject (face shape and long hair) all this time. It's a conspiracy I tell you !

From talking to SOME older women - I've found that they believe that short hair is easier to take care of than long hair. Hence the short hair.

Though I'm a couple decades from the big 50 - I put my long hair up quite often. Why - you may ask ? Well, it's not "sagging jowls" "the effects of gravity" or anything like that. I'm an engineer that doesn't want to risk being scalped by various machinery ! Well - even when I'm not at work - I put my hair up. I love how elegant the hair looks in various updo's. There are so many beautiful variations

I have heard that there is a correlation between "good looks" and higher pay. Even though it is cute, trendy etc - I wouldn't be happy with short hair. Sad looking people of any length of hair are probably not as attractive as people who are happy with themselves and with what they consider beautiful. Thankfully, I work in an industry in which we are judged on the results that we produce - not on some abstract concept of what beauty is.

I remember reading on another board that the idea that older women "should" cut their long hair is just a way to try to deny their sexuality. Food for thought.

Peace !


true dat
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down


Copyright 1997-2021, hairboutique.com,
All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Service,
Privacy Statement,
Advertise,
Contact Us,
Press,
Disclaimer