Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An article on hair growing tips - good or bad???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An article on hair growing tips - good or bad???

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: June 05 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 12
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An article on hair growing tips - good or bad???
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
I thought others might be interested in the following link which I came across today which was entitled "6 Secrets to Long Hair".The introduction to the article states:"It used to be common "style wisdom" that long hair was strictly for kids -- kids under 30, anyway. But that's changed. Now that grown-up celebrities from Jane Seymour to Helen Hunt are tossing their luxuriant manes on screens large and small, a lot of us noncelebs are reliving our long-hair fantasies: It looks so easy and sexy and carefree, we tell ourselves. And husbands love it.But once you've passed your twenties, long hair (top-of-shoulder length and beyond) has the potential to drag your face down, and it may make some women look heavier. Then there's the texture problem: After 30, your hair may be thinner, or drabber, or drier, or grayer. But all is not lost -- not by a long shot. Long hair can still be a stunning option for over-30 women, say the experts. You just have to be willing to play by a few unbreakable rules." The link to the article is as follows:http://homearts.com/rb/beauty/09longf1.htmThe following are the article sub-titles. I have transcribed the six main sub-headings here and given two quotes about being flexible about length and knowing your hairs limitations. Perhaps others may have comments on these "tips".1. Get a superb cut2. Be flexible about lengthQuote:"Every woman has her own quirky definition of "long." But you may need to rethink yours and sacrifice a little length for a more flattering look. Even if you've always believed your hair isn't long unless you can touch it when you reach behind your back, you can in fact opt for a shoulder-brushing cut and still look long-haired. "Going just an inch or two shorter can make all the difference between a cut that doesn't work and one that does," says Kim LÚpine of New York City's Kim LÚpine Hair Salon."3. Be prepared to spend time on stylingQuote: "The more layers you have, the easier it is to achieve a style."4. Be willing to color itQuote: "The longer your hair, the more you need good color. "5. Maintain it6. Know your hair's limitationsQuote:"Even if you lust after length, you may be one of those people who simply can't wear long hair. Consider:Your height -- Long hair can make you look shorter and heavier. This is something you can live with if you've got height to spare, but if you're under five feet tall, below-shoulder hair is not for you, says Maria Perrotti, senior designer at Minardi Salon.Your hair's texture -- Some hair just doesn't want to be long. If your coarse, curly hair grows outward instead of downward, it's going to take a lot of fussing to make it look well-groomed, and you may wind up just tying it back every day. The opposite texture, straight, superfine hair, can look wispy, lusterless, and stringy as it gets longer.In both cases, a medium-length cut is the better alternative: Sometimes being a grown-up means being able to bite the bullet and cut it"These article seems to cover a number of areas which have been debated in the past few months on Hair Politics - including long hair and age; how long is too long; whether long hair is okay for everyone and also I think covers what I thought were some taboos for long hair growing including coloring, cutting in layers etc etc.... I found this interesting and thought provoking.Paul
Back to Top
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
Hello Paul:Very interesting article you found. So many opinions of what one should do with their hair . Everytime we turn around there is something diffirent.It will be interesting which route people will take in year 2000 as you probably remember that article on CNN that said the shorter the better.I already see that trend more and more.>>>
Back to Top
Kim,the not-so-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim,the not-so-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
Hi Paul. Thanks for pointing out this article; I must confess, I have mixed opinions about the advice it gives.I tend to be very skeptical about fashion rules (which are always changing, anyway); I tend to wear white shoes, for instance, when they go with my outfit, regardless of whether it's after Labor Day or not! I also tend to get defensive about the whole "cut your hair after thirty debate" (especially as my big 30 is only months away); it seems to me that we are all living longer these days, and looking young for longer---thirty nowadays is like 25 was decades ago. This article doesn't advocate haircuts at thirty, but it does treat long hair after thirty as an unusual thing.I like some of these suggestions---about the necessity for a good cut and maintenance, for example (although those don't really seem very age-related to me---keeping your hair healthy is as important at 16 as 60!), and it seems to me if you have noticed the problems she mentions (thinner hair, or coarseness), maybe some of the suggestions (colouring your hair, or cutting layers) would help. It seems a very conventional article, even though it claims to counter traditional wisdom, falling back on ideas such as long hair making you look shorter, and dragging your face down. In my opinion, the main requirement for looking good with long hair no matter your age or gender (warning: I'm going to get corny now)is looking happy with it; this will be reflected in the care you take of it, and in my mind, negativity is a far worse culprit than hair length is "dragging the face down." So what do the rest of you think?Kim
Back to Top
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
>.....article on CNN> that said the shorter the better.Why did they say shorter was better? I'll have to admit that the one thing I like about shorter hair is it's much easier when engaged in a lot of physical athletics, like running or white water rafting or camping. I know that long hair can always be pinned back, but I have to admit that it's easier when there isn't so much hair.However...I'll put up with that inconvenience for the wonderful look and feel of long hair!
Back to Top
Dave View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: February 28 2001
Location: home
Status: Offline
Points: 11
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> I thought others might be interested in the following> link which I came across today which was entitled> "6 Secrets to Long Hair".Interesting article, Paul.I found the article to be full of contradictions, plus the usualoxymoronic "conventional wisdoms," plus some new oxymoronic "wisdom."It's isn't so much "6 Secrets to Long Hair" as it is "6 RulesHairstylists would love for you to abide by," as they say "Youjust have to be willing to play by a few unbreakable rules."(Notice the phrasing: "unbreakable rules")My comments on their 6 Tips:> 1. Get a superb cutI prefer trimmed hair over untrimmed hair. But I realize andaccept that some people may prefer the look of untrimmed hair.How do they define "superb?" Precise? For growing long hair,it's probably good advice. If they define "superb" in any otherway (trendy, perhaps?) then it may not necessarily help the readerachieve long hair.> 2. Be flexible about length> Quote:> "Every woman has her own quirky definition of> "long." But you may need to rethink yours> and sacrifice a little length for a more flattering> look. Even if you've always believed your hair isn't> long unless you can touch it when you reach behind> your back, you can in fact opt for a shoulder-brushing> cut and still look long-haired. "Going just an> inch or two shorter can make all the difference> between a cut that doesn't work and one that> does," says Kim LÚpine of New York City's Kim> LÚpine Hair Salon."Sounds like they're trying to convince and persuade the reader to not onlyshorten their perception of "long," but shorten their hair as well. Andthe title of the article was "6 Secrets to Long Hair?" Hmmm...> 3. Be prepared to spend time on styling> Quote: "The more layers you have, the easier it> is to achieve a style."Depends on the definition of "a style." There are both long and shortstyles that can be done quickly, and that can take some time to do.> 4. Be willing to color it> Quote: "The longer your hair, the more you need> good color. "Oh really? The "need" for haircolor is purely subjective. Of course,the ends of longer hair may be more susceptible to the damaging effectsof some types of hair coloring... which wouldn't permit the part of thehair that is long to remain very healthy.> 5. Maintain itAgreed.> 6. Know your hair's limitations> Quote:> "Even if you lust after length, you may be one of> those people who simply can't wear long hair.> Consider:> Your height -- Long hair can make you look shorter and> heavier. This is something you can live with if you've> got height to spare, but if you're under five feet> tall, below-shoulder hair is not for you, says Maria> Perrotti, senior designer at Minardi Salon.> Your hair's texture -- Some hair just doesn't want to> be long. If your coarse, curly hair grows outward> instead of downward, it's going to take a lot of> fussing to make it look well-groomed, and you may wind> up just tying it back every day. The opposite texture,> straight, superfine hair, can look wispy, lusterless,> and stringy as it gets longer.> In both cases, a medium-length cut is the better> alternative: Sometimes being a grown-up means being> able to bite the bullet and cut it"Wow. Was this article entitled "6 Secrets to Long Hair," or "How to know ifyou're being a 'grown-up'?" Was the purpose of their last statement to crushthe desire of those who might want long hair?Ms. Perrotti's advice is ridiculous. A woman who is under five feet tall isgoing to appear to be short (to most adults) whether or not her hair is shortor long. I also fail to understand the basis of the notion that long hairmakes you look shorter or heavier. It sounds like a ploy to appeal to thedesire of some women to look taller and thinner.Dave
David M Squires
Back to Top
Dave View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: February 28 2001
Location: home
Status: Offline
Points: 11
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> In my opinion, the main requirement for looking> good with long hair no matter your age or gender> (warning: I'm going to get corny now)is looking happy> with it; this will be reflected in the care you take> of it, and in my mind, negativity is a far worse> culprit than hair length is "dragging the face> down." So what do the rest of you think?> KimHi Kim,I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's not corny, it's true.Happy people are perceived as being more attractive than unhappypeople, all other factors being the same (I read a sociologicalstudy about this).Dave
David M Squires
Back to Top
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> Why did they say shorter was better? I'll have to> admit that the one thing I like about shorter hair is> it's much easier when engaged in a lot of physical> athletics, like running or white water rafting or> camping. I know that long hair can always be pinned> back, but I have to admit that it's easier when there> isn't so much hair.> However...I'll put up with that inconvenience for the> wonderful look and feel of long hair!Dear Jena:It was an article of what will be hot in the hair industry for the year 2000. I didn't keep the article but maybe if you are interested I can ask around to get the article and send it to you.
Back to Top
mel View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: July 03 2003
Status: Offline
Points: 3
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
I loved the sugg. I'l have to try them out
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down


Copyright 1997-2021, hairboutique.com,
All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Service,
Privacy Statement,
Advertise,
Contact Us,
Press,
Disclaimer