Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jerry Hall - 6 inches of hair chopped off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
>Hello Jena:I am going to use that in who pissed in your cheerio when I find someone around me in a bad mood. lolI just wanted to say something.A while back Ally made a comment about Alanis Morissette and I wrote and said that most Canadian love her the way she is and then Ally wrote back and said something about not wanted to start war war three with Canada. lol We ended up making a joke with the whole thing and I think Dave is suppose to start a long hair village or something lolThe point is at times we are fans and might come across very protective of of certain celebrities. Maybe Dawn really likes Jerry the way she looks. Jerry is an attractive woman and looks great the way she is .>Personally I never felt she needed to change anything about her looks.Have a nice hair day. Lets not allow this to get hairy okay.>>>>
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Hi Holly,> Hi Dave,> Well, I think for the most part we finally found some> common ground!:)> Fair enough.> Actually, I never thought of that one (for a reason> why Jerry may have cut her hair). If it were so (I> know it's only speculation) I think it would be one of> the dumbest moves ever made for ones self. I've read> of women cutting their hair when their relationships> go sour because their men liked it long-but if YOU> (the woman) likes it long, then where does that leave> you?Exactly! I've always wondered why some women in this position "sabotage"themselves (deny themselves their preference). Sure the man is gone butso is their hair that they themselves loved!> I don't understand women that do that-unless of> course they want the change for themselves, for other> reasons than spiting their former boyfriend/husband.And if they do that is their prerogative.> I'm not sure if you mean this is negative or not.Very perceptive of you Holly :-) It could be taken either way.> When> you think about it, this very site is dependent partly> on fashion (and therefore "change")because> there's always new people being interested in surfing> to it for different hair ideas. If that weren't so,> there wouldn't be different hairstyle pictures to> view-short AND long.That is really only one of many possible reasons to want to visit HB. HairCare is a BIG thing, and along those lines are the product reviews... and ofcourse discussion boards on a range of hair-related topics...> I just don't think> it's such a different look on Jerry that it really> makes that much difference. You seem to agree because> of your statement in your post that she should try> something really different. Nothing wrong with trying> something differentJust want to clarify... I agree that it isn't a big difference. I hopeI didn't give the impression that I think she should try something reallydifferent! (maybe that's not what you meant to say?). And of course, ifshe wants to try something different, it's her prerogative to do so.> except I just agree with Jena that> she needs to keep her hair on the long side-I don't> think she would look as nice with short hair.Yes, long hair becomes her.> Even though this question wasn't directed at me,> respectfuly I'd like to address it. Correct me if I'm> wrong, but I think this is a feeling among some here> because of certain posts in the past where topics such> as make-overs have been accussed of coercing people> into shorter styles, and some did not agree, and were> told by others that there seems to be a conspiracy to> make short haired person out of everyone. I'm not> trying to start (or stop) a new thread on make-overs,> and I don't think that this was the ONLY topic that> has made people feel as if many long hair fans think> the only reason people cut their hair is because of> coercion. However,these shows have been on such a long> time now (UNFORTUNATELY!!) that people ought to know> what they are getting into when they want to have a> make-over on those programs. That's not really the> point here though. Yes, I myself have thought that> many times they should have left the hair long and> maybe just style it different. There does seem to be> an obvious dislike (or what it really is in most> cases, in my opinion, is a fear, due to obvious> business reasons)among SOME stylists, but certainly> not all. Also, some stylists just like to show off> their artistic talent. If the client is willing-why> not? Yes, on these shows they have put people on the> spot, but I'm now talking real day-to-day life. No one> is forcing anyone to cut their hair-unless it's a poor> unfortunate child like the one written about in> another post.This seems a good time for me to clarify my opinion on this topic.Coercion and other societal pressures ARE AMONG a number of reasons whypeople cut their long hair. I realize that it's not the only reason!When I have spoken against those situations, it is a criticism againstthese demonstrations of personal incivility, and not a slam againstevery instance of a haircut!Of course, even in the situation of a TV makeover show with willingcandidates, some stylists or TV show hosts are very inconsiderate, andthis lack of consideration is also despicable (especially Montel Williams).Even though I hadn't particpated in the discussion about haircuts imposed onchildren, I'm aware of many instances of parents rending their children withunwanted and severe haircuts.> Maybe I'm out of it living away from the States, but I> always thought the pressure was on for women (in order> to please men's tastes)to have LONG hair?A potentially interesting topic of discussion. I'm not aware of the existenceof this pressure. Perhaps if some people are they would like to share theirthoughts on the topic?> I thought> the short hair pressure mainly only happenned in> business settings?Well, not only. That doesn't make it justifiable, though.Dave
David M Squires
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
> - And finally, for Dave a simple observation and not> an attempt at starting an argument, as I've had my> fill of those for a while. You wondered why Zorak and> Jena always assume that you think that if someone with> long hair cuts it, it is due to some coercive pressure> and not simply their decision. You're response is that> you don't think that, but do believe it may happen> sometimes.> Just something that I've noticed is that though you> may not think that it happens everytime, you tend to> interject that opinion into that vast majority of your> posts on this topic. In the very post I'm responding> to, for example, you said:> Again, I understand that you don't believe this is> true in all cases, but if you make this type of> statement in most reponses on this subject, can you> see how it could foster that impression? Like I said,> not trying to start and argument, just an observation> of how what you intended to say could have been> misconstrued.JerkyFlea,Not to be defensive about my having mentioned it in this particular post,but it was in response to what Karen had written. I hear you, though,and I do understand your message.Dave
David M Squires
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Karen,You know, when I separated from my first husband, I told my hairdresser to cut my hair too! I let him cut 7 inches off. I just was in a stage where I wanted things to different and desired a change. It was a large chunk of my hair that was cut off, but it did look good. I was just like "Do what you want!" I was really ready for something else. It had nothing to do with his opinion of my hair length (he really didn't care one way or another). I think a lot of women go through "something" (can't really define!) that prompts them to make changes in their lives, including their hair when they separate or divorce, not to mention some other of life's changes.(Wishing I had taken more than Psychology 101)
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
It> had nothing to do with his opinion of my hair length> (he really didn't care one way or another).I was referring to my ex-husband here, not my hairdresser.
Dave View Drop Down

Jena,Dawn said: "As far as her hair being thin or just lying against her head, geez, what is hair supposed to do? Stand on end?"Jena said:> Thin hair often looks better shorter. It's unfortunate> that some people have thin hair, but if I did, I'd> certainly want to make it look as healthy and thick as> possible. Long, thin hair adds a lot of age to a> person. There are many ways to add body to hair, from> a simple fluffing out with the fingers to using> styling gel and a hair dryer. Having "body"> in the hair is not the same as having "big"> hair.I'm with Dawn on this for the very reason that long hair is apt to do what it will. The question is does the possessor of their hair (whatever length you have) accept it for what it is, or try to fight its natural tendencies? Maybe "fight" is a strong word ("encourage" might be more gentle) but if all a person finds in their hair is disappointment then what does that say about their expectations? (a somewhat rhetorical question).> Some of us have open minds and like> listening to suggestions on how to better ourselves,> whether it be physically or psychologically.Some people better themselves through introspection. Some people combine both.Dawn said: "It seems exceedingly hypercritical to me. Just makes me wonder, if the critics were to be judged by their own standards, how would they rate?"Jena said:> Hey, no one gave me those little cards with numbers to> hold up! {grin} Is it really that threatening to you> that we're discussing someone's hair? I don't recall> anyone saying that Jerry looked terrible. If we aren't> to offer opinions, then why is this forum here?Dawn has a very good point. I've noticed that quite a few so-called style "experts" would probably not hold up so well to the judgment they pass on others.I think the "offering of opinions of celebrities" might be more appropriate for the Celebrity Hair Spray forum than Hair Politics. Unless of course it's a hair-political issue :-)Dawn said: "Is everyone in the world obligated to follow some mandated code of external beauty so as not to offend others who might be forced to look at them?"Jena said:> So, as my subject line stated, "who pissed in> your Cheerios? (sorry, but I about died laughing the> very first time I heard that a week or so ago...) Come> on, we were offering suggestions and opinions on her> hair. *That's it*.> No one said he was offended by her look at all. You> are so uptight and take the subject of hair so> seriously -- lighten up!I see both points here. But let's take the hypothetical case ofa celebrity who has no bangs, and who has what is considered ahigh forehead. She may love the way she looks without bangs,yet if she hears enough (one-sided) criticism about how othersdisapprove of her high forehead, she may feel compelled to cutbangs to satisfy the critics. (This general type of scenariohas happened).Dawn's question seems to be "why should the person who likes theirappearance just as it is be made to feel badly about it?" Sure,this is "just" a talk board not intended as a means of feedbackto celebrities, and people are free to express their opinionshere as they wish. But Dawn has made a good point. The mindsetin our culture seems to be "conform (to the beauty norm) or becast out."> Okay, I mean no disrespect, but here's what I honestly> think. You've stated before that you'll *never* cut> your hair, so whenever you hear that someone has cut> her hair, you fly off the handle and immediately think> she was hogtied and forced into it!Gee, Jena, where did you come up with this?> I can't help but> wonder if you are very happy in life with the extreme> defensiveness you display anytime someone talks about> cutting hair, as if it were castrating a person!I don't sense this of Dawn. I would guess that she is against people dissenting of other's choices.> Dawn, some people *want* to cut their hair.True. And some people *don't* want to cut their hair.> And some people look better with shorter hair.And some people look better with longer hair.> People will wear their hair the way they like it. But it doesn't mean they look good in it.According to whose opinion? The wearer or the bystander?> And it doesn't mean others won't have an opinion about it.Sure. We all have opinions. The question is "what do we do about our opinions?"I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to point out that other opinions exists that are just as legitimate as yours.> Dawn, you will never have to cut your hair if you> don't want. Please repeat that 100 times and try to> calm down whenever you hear the words "hair"> and "cut" in the same sentence. They simply> aren't feared by everyone.Hmm... I seriously doubt that Dawn fears a haircut. How does a firm and resolute choice to have long hair equate to a fear of a haircut? Do people who have a firm and resolute choice to have short hair fear their hair growing long? Of course not!Dave
David M Squires
Susie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
My former boyfriend made a big deal from day one that we met that he was wildly attracted to my waist length thick chestnut hair.After three years together when I found out he was cheating on me with a mutual friend I went home and took a scissors and hacked it off to my ears. He was horrified and I felt vindicated.It felt good and it helped me start my life over. From then on I never let a man's obvious interest in my hair be a major factor in forming a relationship.My husband has never known me with anything but bra length hair and he doesn't care.It is my opinion that Jerry cut her hair because she was cutting Mick out of her life. I know of other women who have done what I did, what JM did and what I believe Jerry did.Good for her. If it helps her get on with her life.> Hi Holly,> Exactly! I've always wondered why some women in this> position "sabotage"> themselves (deny themselves their preference). Sure> the man is gone but> so is their hair that they themselves loved!> And if they do that is their prerogative.> Very perceptive of you Holly :-) It could be taken> either way.> That is really only one of many possible reasons to> want to visit HB. Hair> Care is a BIG thing, and along those lines are the> product reviews... and of> course discussion boards on a range of hair-related> topics...> Just want to clarify... I agree that it isn't a big> difference. I hope> I didn't give the impression that I think she should> try something really> different! (maybe that's not what you meant to say?).> And of course, if> she wants to try something different, it's her> prerogative to do so.> Yes, long hair becomes her.> This seems a good time for me to clarify my opinion on> this topic.> Coercion and other societal pressures ARE AMONG a> number of reasons why> people cut their long hair. I realize that it's not> the only reason!> When I have spoken against those situations, it is a> criticism against> these demonstrations of personal incivility, and not a> slam against> every instance of a haircut!> Of course, even in the situation of a TV makeover show> with willing> candidates, some stylists or TV show hosts are very> inconsiderate, and> this lack of consideration is also despicable> (especially Montel Williams).> Even though I hadn't particpated in the discussion> about haircuts imposed on> children, I'm aware of many instances of parents> rending their children with> unwanted and severe haircuts.> A potentially interesting topic of discussion. I'm not> aware of the existence> of this pressure. Perhaps if some people are they> would like to share their> thoughts on the topic?> Well, not only. That doesn't make it justifiable,> though.> Dave
Kayak cutie
The other Dawn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The other Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Don't you guys think you are making a bit too much out of a 6 inch haircut? Jerry still has plenty of hair left, its not like she got a pixie cut or something! People don't always have to have some type of trauma to trigger a haircut; sometimes they just happen to be in the mood for a change. I have short hair at the moment which I am growing longer. When I got my hair cut, it was a fairly drastic change. However, nothing traumatic sparked this. I was simply in the mood for a change, and needed a break from dealing w/ long hair, which I put a great deal of effort into caring for (my short hair requires effort, but in different areas). Now I'm in the mood to have long hair, but its not ruining my life to have tried something different! Why is there an assumption that people always put a huge amount of thought into getting a haircut? It is *hair*, not some kind of psychological chain that binds you that you must constantly analyze. Must a person always have a reason for cutting/not cutting their hair?DawnRelated Link:Dawn's Secret Garden
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
Hi Dawn,Well, I agree, anyhow. That was the gist of what I originally posted, and tha I hope i made clear. It didn't even look like that much was cut off of Jerry's hair. Furthermore, it's not always a big reason to want to cut your hair, no matter how short you go. The person just simply wants something different-not revenge-not "will it make my life better?". Karen didn't mention if this article was an actual interview with Jerry Hall so it's not for sure why she trimmed her hair. In the context of how important it is it demands a "who cares?" but for a topic for this board it's interesting to talk about.Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
Hi Dave,> Exactly! I've always wondered why some women in this> position "sabotage"> themselves (deny themselves their preference). Sure> the man is gone but> so is their hair that they themselves loved!> And if they do that is their prerogative.I agree.> Very perceptive of you Holly :-) It could be taken> either way.So, what's the verdict? (to the statement you made "The fashion industry thrives itself on change").> That is really only one of many possible reasons to> want to visit HB. Hair> Care is a BIG thing, and along those lines are the> product reviews... and of> course discussion boards on a range of hair-related> topics...Of course, and all of these reasons are what drew me here to begin with. Most of them are fashion subjects-what shampoos make your hair do what you want it to do, what balm makes it straight (the fashion now is straight). See what I mean? So, I think if you removed these articles of interest, there would be a decline in visitors here. Hence,the dependency on fashion. So I guess my question to you "what's the verdict?" remains.> Just want to clarify... I agree that it isn't a big> difference. I hope> I didn't give the impression that I think she should> try something really> different! (maybe that's not what you meant to say?).No, I didn't take it that way that at all. I was acknowledging your agreement to my staement-she looks best with longer hair. We are both agreed that she shouldn't have short hair(in our humble opinions!).> And of course, if> she wants to try something different, it's her> prerogative to do so.Yes, agreed.>This seems a good time for me to clarify my opinion on >this topic.>Coercion and other societal pressures ARE AMONG a number >of reasons why>people cut their long hair. I realize that it's not the >only reason!>When I have spoken against those situations, it is a >criticism against>these demonstrations of personal incivility, and not a >slam against>every instance of a haircut!Alrighty! Guess this was covered anyway in your post to JerkyFlea, so I'll leave it at that.O.K., now help me out here. Is it the new tidal wave subject for every talk show now buzz cuts? It seems from what I'm hearing from a person who writes from the states that all these shows have "buzz cut" episodes. Why is this popular? No thanks, none for me thank you!:)Holly
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
Hi Holly,> So, what's the verdict? (to the statement you made> "The fashion industry thrives on change").> Of course, and all of these reasons are what drew me> here to begin with. Most of them are fashion> subjects-what shampoos make your hair do what you want> it to do, what balm makes it straight (the fashion now> is straight). See what I mean? So, I think if you> removed these articles of interest, there would be a> decline in visitors here. Hence,> the dependency on fashion. So I guess my question to> you "what's the verdict?" remains.There are separate issues (concern for the health of hair, and also concern for making it look "stylish") and the line between them may be blurred for some people. I see posts on HB from various people covering all bases.The fashion industry is (as is any industry) primarily driven by its own interests, which, for the fashion industry, are best served when people demand and consume their product. Individual consumers' "demands" for their product runs the gamut. Let's face it, if people were satisfied wearing the same gunny sacks year in and year out, the industry as we know it would fade into oblivion. I'm not advocating that happening, though. On the other hand, some people so live for fashion and trends that it seems they would feel somehow devoid of life itself if the industry failed to dazzle every season with exciting new fashions -- a perspective on life which I find curious, to put it mildly.> O.K., now help me out here. Is it the new tidal wave> subject for every talk show now buzz cuts? It seems> from what I'm hearing from a person who writes from> the states that all these shows have "buzz> cut" episodes. Why is this popular? No thanks,> none for me thank you!:)I'm not aware of this type of show happening these days. Although I do remember a couple years ago (1997) there was a bit of this. I remember some show on MTV whereby a group of guys all had their heads buzzed. Anyway, I don't think it's such a big deal anymore (i.e. "there's another guy who has a buzz cut -- ho hum").Dave
David M Squires
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
> Thin hair often looks better shorter. It's unfortunate> that some people have thin hair, but if I did, I'd> certainly want to make it look as healthy and thick as> possible. Long, thin hair adds a lot of age to a> person. There are many ways to add body to hair, from> a simple fluffing out with the fingers to using> styling gel and a hair dryer. Having "body"> in the hair is not the same as having "big"> hair.> Dawn, sweetheart, we're talking about *hair*, not her> personality. Some of us have open minds and like> listening to suggestions on how to better ourselves,> whether it be physically or psychologically. People> who don't grow stagnate and often become bitter and> defensive when they grow older and see change around> them. Jerry did not personally ask us for our> opinions, yet since she's a public figure with whom> most of us are familiar, it's beneficial to discuss> her hair, so if someone else has hair very similar to> hers, then she may garner some suggestions.> It seems exceedingly> Hey, no one gave me those little cards with numbers to> hold up! {grin} Is it really that threatening to you> that we're discussing someone's hair? I don't recall> anyone saying that Jerry looked terrible. If we aren't> to offer opinions, then why is this forum here?> So, as my subject line stated, "who pissed in> your Cheerios? (sorry, but I about died laughing the> very first time I heard that a week or so ago...) Come> on, we were offering suggestions and opinions on her> hair. *That's it*.> No one said he was offended by her look at all. You> are so uptight and take the subject of hair so> seriously -- lighten up!> Okay, I mean no disrespect, but here's what I honestly> think. You've stated before that you'll *never* cut> your hair, so whenever you hear that someone has cut> her hair, you fly off the handle and immediately think> she was hogtied and forced into it! I can't help but> wonder if you are very happy in life with the extreme> defensiveness you display anytime someone talks about> cutting hair, as if it were castrating a person!> Dawn, some people *want* to cut their hair. And some> people look better with shorter hair. People will wear> their hair the way they like it. But it doesn't mean> they look good in it. And it doesn't mean others won't> have an opinion about it.> There's a time and place for everything. I seriously> doubt any of us here would walk up to Miss Hall and> offer our opinions on her hair if we met her! But in> the context of a forum board about hair politics, the> discussion is highly appropriate.> Dawn, you will never have to cut your hair if you> don't want. Please repeat that 100 times and try to> calm down whenever you hear the words "hair"> and "cut" in the same sentence. They simply> aren't feared by everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic