Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yuck!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The other Dawn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The other Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yuck!
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
My boyfriend is a manager at a retail store. One of the employees he is supervising has really bad dandruff, and is grossing out the customers. My boyfriend wants advice about how to handle this. He thinks this guy may have a genuine medical problem, but at the same time the dandruff is really repulsive to those who come in the store and want assistance. Any ideas on how to handle this?DawnRelated Link:Dawn's Secret Garden
Kym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
> My boyfriend is a manager at a retail store. One of> the employees he is supervising has really bad> dandruff, and is grossing out the customers. My> boyfriend wants advice about how to handle this. He> thinks this guy may have a genuine medical problem,> but at the same time the dandruff is really repulsive> to those who come in the store and want assistance.> Any ideas on how to handle this?> DawnTelling other people about their physical problems is always a touchy thing. Your boyfriend, as the manager, should find a time to take the guy into an office, close the door and politely discuss the problem. Your guy should face the problem with as much sensitivity as he can muster.The employee can take it one of two ways really, angrily, and with scene causing, job losing implications, or with an explanation/apology/confessional reaction.Dandruff can be caused by lots of things, including some ingredients in shampoo, stress, poor diet...but not taking care of it is the real problem here.Your boyfriend should give the guy an opportunity to straighten it out and "clean" up his act.
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
> My boyfriend is a manager at a retail store. One of> the employees he is supervising has really bad> dandruff, and is grossing out the customers. My> boyfriend wants advice about how to handle this. He> thinks this guy may have a genuine medical problem,> but at the same time the dandruff is really repulsive> to those who come in the store and want assistance.> Any ideas on how to handle this?I am not a lawyer, but from close experience I can tell you: go slowly and easily on this guy, if you piss him off it could be a lawsuit!He can easily file a discrimination suit based on medical condition, all he would need is some crack doctor to say that he has really bad dandruf from a medical condition, then BOOM he has a claim under the ADA!I don't know, but this may be a real sticky situation.Zorak
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
First off, there is no precedent for successful ADA claims based on hygiene issues. The courts support an employer's right to demand that workers look clean and neat. Many disgruntled workers have attempted to sue over matters like bad teeth and long hair--and failed. Besides, Dawn's boyfriend would have to take negative employment action against this clerk for the ADA to kick in. Simply approaching him about the problem does not place her boyfriend at risk.I don't know a lot about dandruff. Most people who have it take care of the problem with medicated shampoo. Is it possible this guy's case is so bad there's nothing he can do? What is your boyfriend's assessment of the clerk's personality? Is it likely that he just /lets/ it get that way and doesn't care?If he's just neglectful or a slob, the issue needs to addressed--the same way a problem with body odor would have to be addressed. I think Dawn's boyfriend should look up the chain for guidance on this one.Ally
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
Dawn,I do agree with Kym here. Your boyfriend needs to be sensitive, quiet, calm, direct and practical with this man. Definitely take the matter behind closed doors. I also think that maybe your boyfriend could really stress the positive if this man is a good worker. You know like, "You are a wonderful employee, hardworking, diligent, courteous, but I want to talk to you about a matter of personal hygiene. Some of the customers have been uncomfortable with the flakes and have indicated this to me. Is this something of which you are aware?" "Is this something which can be treated or controlled?" Genuine concern which does not make this man feel that his employment is being threatened is crucial.The fear of a lawsuit is legitimate, but if handled correctly, remote.It's too bad one of his co-workers can't solve the problem, rather than your boyfriend, the manager having to do it. I can remember working with a man who smelled very badly and there was some proposal that we share an office. He and I were friends, but I could not face dealing with the odor during working hours. I remember we were laughing about the stuff we were going to have to dump to share the office. We were both "packrats." I told him that he was going to have to get rid of the body odor before we moved into common space. He was honestly oblivious to it. Other employees would whisper, but never told him please take a bath now and again or something. I probably would not have either if we weren't going to have to share the space:)Bye for now,JadeMy boyfriend is a manager at a retail store. One of> the employees he is supervising has really bad> dandruff, and is grossing out the customers. My> boyfriend wants advice about how to handle this. He> thinks this guy may have a genuine medical problem,> but at the same time the dandruff is really repulsive> to those who come in the store and want assistance.> Any ideas on how to handle this?> Dawn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic