Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big Decision?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
observer View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> I agree. This is "almost" exactly like a> story on the "original board".> Don't try to pull this on us. Neither did I believe> the other story.This is "almost" exactly like a story posted yesterday on longhairlovers.com now gone.Mary and Christy are the same person, some guy. Its a troll
jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
I agree. This is "almost" exactly like a story on the "original board".Don't try to pull this on us. Neither did I believe the other story.> Go ahead an yell at me if you like, but I'm calling> b.s. on this one.> JF
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
There is always pressure for long haired ladies to cut their hair. I noticed it usually comes form people that don't know me real well, and usually in groups. They say, have you ever thought about cutting you hair? Being a very shy person, I try to say as little as possible. I don't gonear salons, because when they ask that awful question, theyare armed with shears, as what happend to Christy. Christy, don't go for a short cut, you survived this episode and still had long hair left. I say keep it long.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Hello:I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the stylist. If you are considering a shorter style maybe you could play with some wigs and see if you prefer having it short or not. Maybe the lenght you have right now will be fun for you. From my own experience most women that had very long hair and cut it short really miss their ponytail. Maybe in the long hair you will prefer your down the middle of your back or waist length.>
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Go ahead an yell at me if you like, but I'm calling b.s. on this one.JFRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Hi Cristy,A couple of years ago I was in the same predicament as you were.I had just graduated and got a new job.I too was a hippie chick with hair to there, longer than yours was.I hadn't had been in a salon or had a real haircut in 15years,since I was 8 years old.It was knee lenght and I loved it!That all changed when I got a new job.I also had to wear my hair up in the office.During a very importantmeeting my hair clip popped out and my hair came down everywhere.It was very embarassing and I got an incredible amount of pressure at work to do something with my hair.Basically,the words were cut it off!I was so distraut.I talked about getting a haircut with my friends and relatives and the majority of them thought I was crazy to cut such long hair.Then it happened again,my hairclip came off at work and I knew I had to do something. Living in a small town, there were only 4 salons in town.I had never been to any of them.Just before I was leaving work for the day,I called all 4 of them,but I was out of luck.3 were closed and the other couldn't get me in.Luckily,a co-worker overheard me calling the salons to no avail,and suggested I go to her stylist,it was open late.One problem,it was a barber shop,and she didn't know if they cut long hair.I told her maybe I'd check it out.The barber shop was on my way home,so I pulled into the lot.I sat in the car for about 1/2 hour before I got the courage to go in.I walked inand asked the stylist if I could get a haircut and if she cuts long hair.She looked at me with an odd grin and saidyes,but it would be about 30 minutes,so she could finish her customer.I sat downed and waited and paged through the hair sytle magazines.As I was looking in the magazines,it dawned on me,they were all super short styles.Then I was next.I was sooo nervous.I walked to the chair with the magazine in my hand and sat down.The young stylist was very friendly.She unpinned my hair and it flowed down all around me almost to the floor.She jumped back and almost couldn't believe what she was seeing.I told her I'd been thinking about a trim or a cut to waist length.As she began combing out my hair I told her about my job and my hair coming down all the time.She saw the magazine in my lap and jokingly asked me if there were any styles in there that I liked.She kind of caught me off guard and I said sure.She paged through showing me pictures,saying that clippercuts were her specialty andthey were all the rage.She knew she had my attention and started telling me how easy care they were,how liberatingthey are,perfect for my job and about all of the long haired people going short.Then she told me I had the perfect features for it,that most people use super long hair as a security blanket,and that it changes your wholepersonality and outlook on life.She asked me what I thought about trying one and I thought for a moment and said maybe.I couldn't believe I said that.Then the phone rang.She came back and asked me if I ever woke up one morning and thought about chopping off all my hair andnot having to deal with it..I was so engrossed thinking about what she said,I just blurted out o.k let's do it,without even thinking about it.I thought to myself,are you nuts!She put the sheet around me,startedcombing out my hair,and exclaimed it will be so much fun trying something totally different,I know the perfect cut for you!She said how about Josie Bissett?At first I didn't understand,and she said Melrose Place.I couldn't even speak.My mouth went dry and my heart jumped into my throat.All I could do was nod my head yes.She turned me around to face the mirror,parted my hair in the middle,did one last combing,and reassured me or tried to settle me down.Looking directly into the mirror to see my long hair for the last time,my head was in such a fog that I didn't even hear the clippers at first.I kind of jumped when she combed out a huge handful of hair about an inch from my scaip on the side and plowed the clippers over the comb.Hair was raining down every where!All I could think of was the first cut is the deepest-no turning back now.The stylist was amazingly fast and skilled.As my hair was coming off in big chunks all over,I was actually seeing a new me emerge.My nervousness was fading as fastas my hair and excitement was taking over.I couldn't believe it,I was really enjoying this!Before I knew it, the bulk of my hair was off,a pile you wouldn't believe laying in my lap. A little more cutting and I was done.I had a huge smile on my face.I didn't recognize the new face in the mirror,but I loved it!It felt so neat and light,I was liberated!So,Christy,I would say go for it.Chop it all off!Take it from someone whose been there.I know you won't regret it.Good Luck!
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Christy,The only advice I would give you is that almost every woman I know that cut her hair short (usually a bob) when entering the business world, eventually grew it back out after realizing that it didn't really make any difference. So, if you've decided that you really want short hair, then go ahead, but don't do it simply due to peer pressure and/or some misguided interpretation of "professional hair".JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
The fact that you wear your hair up all the time would indicate maybe a short style would be the right move. I agree with Emma, just go do it. If you are waering you hair up, but would perfer to wear it down maybe a chin length of shorter bob would be in order. The bottom line is if you are thinking short go short you only live once
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> I know this must sound trivial to some,but I have a> major change to consider.I'm a recent college> graduate,and just entered the business world.My> problem is the pressure from others to conform to> their standards.Ever since I can remember,I've been a> fan of the 60's.I guess I was born in the wrong> era.Since I was a young girl,I let my hair grow> long,wore little or no makeup and worn basically> T-shirts and jeans.So far it's been quite an> adjustment to wear business suits,nylons,heels and> makeup!The big problem is my hair.I've always had very> long hair and usually wear it the same way,in a long> braid,down loose, pull the sides up with barrettes, or> for special occasions set or curl it.Now for work,> I've been trying various up-do's.After wearing it down> and braiding it for so many years,it's been quite a> change wearing it up.The problem I have wearing it up,> is it comes down quite a bit,and can be embarassing> and a big pain.Right now my hair is very healthy,> thick and straight,one lenght and down about 5-6"> above my waist.Last week,for the first time in 6 years> I went to a salon for a trim.I arrived at the salon> afer work in my business attire with my hair pulled> back in a French Twist held in place with a hairclip> and pins.When I got in the chair, and let my hair down> ,the stylist seemed pretty amazed by the length of my> hair.My hair then was dowm below my butt,to the middle> of my thighs.We made some small talk and I told her of> my new job and the adjustment from college to> work.Right away she assumed I wanted a new look and> pulled up my hair and held it out and said I'd look> good in a nice short cut.> She went on and on about how someone like me needed a> conservative,low maintenance haircut,and how cute I> would look in it.I tried to be polite and told her I> just> wanted a trim.I could tell she was disappointed when I> told her that.I probably should have left right> then.She shampooed my hair and I told her I only> wanted a few inches trimmed on the bottom and the side> edges rounded up or layered a bit.She combed out my> hair and said I had some considerable splitend> damage,and that I needed to have a few more inches cut> off.I relunctantly agreed.Big mistake!She then> proceeded to chop straight across about 5-6"> above my waist.At first I didn't realize how much> she had cut until I turned around after the first cut> and looked at the floor.I was in shock when I saw> about 18-20" cut off!I screamed,but it was too> late.I protested and was very upset,but there was> nothing I could do.She finished the cut,I paid her and> stormed out of the salon.I cried alot that night.Why> are stylists so "scissor happy"?Since the> haircut,I've noticed that friends and relatives are> trying to persuade me to cut my hair shorter.The> pressure is even on at work.A secretary at work whose> hair was as long as mine is, just got a supershort> clippercut.She and another short-haired co-worker went> so far as to buy me a Short Styles magazine and> recommending their salon.I'm seriously considering> getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should> take the plunge and go all the way to a super short> clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of> intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care> of.Getting the haircut sounds pretty scary to me.I'd> probably freak out in the middle of it and regret it.A> month ago I would never have thought about cutting my> hair.Back then I didn't even know what a clippercut> was.What should I do?Any help would be greatly> appreciated.Thanks!> Christyhisounds like you have one heck of a decision to make. My only question is are you givng into peer presure or is this something that you want to do. Whatever you decide remember that you are stuck with it. A short style can be very attractive on some ladies and not on others. I would reccomend going to a good stylist for a consultation before you cutyour hair. As far as the stylist who cut your hair last just remember one thing, if they dont cut your hair the way you wanted it, they have to fix it(couldn't doit)or you dont have to pay them. Works this way in most states.Whatever your decision I hope it works out for you just make sure it is for you. john
Emma View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> Christy,sure you're scared...hair is scary, that's a simple fact, and i can very much relate with you on the whole 'scissor happy' hairdressers bit...but after having hair so extremely long there would be nothing more fun than just chopping it off! in one go... none of this slowly adjusting buisness...CHOP IT OFF!! I promise you, your head will literally float off...it's so easy to look after...shampoo will last 10 times as long! not only that, it will be something different, daring, exciting, what is the worst that can happen? Live for the MOMENT!! DO IT!Of course if you are a groovy hippy chic with a thing about endless locks then make your statement and keep them, but decide what you want. Do you keep your hair out of defiance or fear??Are you standing up for what you believe or just afraid of cbange.....
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
Christy,Why not go for it?I know this would be a big step for you, and I'm loath to give advice one way or the other. However, the fact that:1 You are even condsidering it2 People, who have seen your 'shorter' hair, reckon you would look good with short hair and3 You admit to having 'control' issues with the longsuggests to me that it might be worth trying.At the end of the day there is no one, 'correct' look - you have to discover what suits you. But I reckon, for what it's worth, that you should at least experiment. I knew one woman who grew her hair to just past her shoulders, wore it like that and played with styles, then chopped it to a short crop again, on a regular cycle. She just liked to change how she looked.If you decide to cut it off, perhaps go short in stages. That way fleeing the salon in shock is less likely to happpen. Ultimately of course, this is your descision, but I reckon if you listen to people whose adivice you trust and have no axe to grind, and follow your own instincts you can't go far wrong. Even if you decide to start growing it again as soon as you leave the salon, you at least then know that you tried it and know you didn't like it.This is not a recomendation to cut or not cut, I have no idea of your face shape, personality, hair or anything else about you. At the end of the day it's your hair and you can do what you like with it.andy
Christy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
I know this must sound trivial to some,but I have a major change to consider.I'm a recent college graduate,and just entered the business world.My problem is the pressure from others to conform to their standards.Ever since I can remember,I've been a fan of the 60's.I guess I was born in the wrong era.Since I was a young girl,I let my hair grow long,wore little or no makeup and worn basically T-shirts and jeans.So far it's been quite an adjustment to wear business suits,nylons,heels and makeup!The big problem is my hair.I've always had very long hair and usually wear it the same way,in a long braid,down loose, pull the sides up with barrettes, or for special occasions set or curl it.Now for work, I've been trying various up-do's.After wearing it down and braiding it for so many years,it's been quite a change wearing it up.The problem I have wearing it up, is it comes down quite a bit,and can be embarassing and a big pain.Right now my hair is very healthy, thick and straight,one lenght and down about 5-6" above my waist.Last week,for the first time in 6 years I went to a salon for a trim.I arrived at the salon afer work in my business attire with my hair pulled back in a French Twist held in place with a hairclip and pins.When I got in the chair, and let my hair down ,the stylist seemed pretty amazed by the length of my hair.My hair then was dowm below my butt,to the middle of my thighs.We made some small talk and I told her of my new job and the adjustment from college to work.Right away she assumed I wanted a new look and pulled up my hair and held it out and said I'd look good in a nice short cut.She went on and on about how someone like me needed a conservative,low maintenance haircut,and how cute I would look in it.I tried to be polite and told her I justwanted a trim.I could tell she was disappointed when I told her that.I probably should have left right then.She shampooed my hair and I told her I only wanted a few inches trimmed on the bottom and the side edges rounded up or layered a bit.She combed out my hair and said I had some considerable splitend damage,and that I needed to have a few more inches cut off.I relunctantly agreed.Big mistake!She then proceeded to chop straight across about 5-6" above my waist.At first I didn't realize how muchshe had cut until I turned around after the first cut and looked at the floor.I was in shock when I saw about 18-20" cut off!I screamed,but it was too late.I protested and was very upset,but there was nothing I could do.She finished the cut,I paid her and stormed out of the salon.I cried alot that night.Why are stylists so "scissor happy"?Since the haircut,I've noticed that friends and relatives are trying to persuade me to cut my hair shorter.The pressure is even on at work.A secretary at work whose hair was as long as mine is, just got a supershort clippercut.She and another short-haired co-worker went so far as to buy me a Short Styles magazine and recommending their salon.I'm seriously considering getting a below the shoulder bob,or maybe I should take the plunge and go all the way to a super short clippercut.The thought of getting a clippercut kind of intrigues me because it would be so easy to take care of.Getting the haircut sounds pretty scary to me.I'd probably freak out in the middle of it and regret it.A month ago I would never have thought about cutting my hair.Back then I didn't even know what a clippercut was.What should I do?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!Christy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic