Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some of you AREN'T going to like this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:54pm
> Longhair4ever!>Also, will I give in to pressure to> "act my age" and get one of those styles> that Holly mentioned?Oh dear-that might read like I advocate those styles. I don't! "Smile".Holly
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:54pm
Hi Deanna! What a nice message! thanks! I know what you mean about wondering just what the future holds for our hair. I have decided that for right now I want to have longer hair and I am going for it. It makes me happy and I feel I look better with long hair. I do cover a couple of gray streaks but since I am a natural blonde it's not hard to do and I don't have to have it touched up all the time. I do worry that my hair might be thinning and getting finer. I am taking vitamins that different people recommended on this board. I think they are helping but I have only been taking them for about 4 months so only time will tell. I try to use the best products I can afford and am religious about conditioning. Happily for me I have found a new stylist who has done exactly what I have asked her to do. I asked for a 1/2" trim and got one! My previous stylist was trimming off at least 2" when I was asking for a scant 1". Needless to say my hair was getting shorter instead of longer and I think this was her ultimate goal. She told me she had never had long hair and always went on and on about how few clients there were with hair like mine, which at the time was mid-back! My new stylist is in her 20's , has burgundy hair and wears all black. I was a little aprehensive when I met her but she had come highly recommended by another confirmed longhair friend. She immediatly put me at ease by telling me she had had long hair for most of her life and loved it.Just take the best care of your hair that you can. All the info I find here is great. If you get the urge to "act your age" don't give in to it. I got some great advice when I was thinking of getting my hair cut short last April. Wait at least 3 months before making a major change. I am SO glad I followed that advice! I think I was going thru a period of being frustrated in other areas of my life and I was thinking a drastic hair change might get me out of a rut. Thankfully I waited and things are better and my hair growing and finally feeling like "long" hair again.longhair4ever!Carolyn
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:54pm
thanks for the comments guys! I plan to keep on growing. I don't know if I will get back to waist length hair but for now my goal is very healthy mid-back or a little longer hair. No one is going to influence me to do otherwise.Mark, we are sort of neighbors. I live in NW IA. There must be something special going on west of the Missouri if there are so many women with waist length hair in NE! I know I can count on one hand the number of women in my area over 35 who still have longer than just below shoulder length hair.My husband does like my hair the way it is but he would be OK with whatever made me happy. Fortunately for me I have never had a job where hair length mattered. I have mostly been in the retail field in some way or another. I did work in a tent and awning place where they wanted the 2 of us who had longer hair to just tie it back. I had a sort of Charlies Angels 'do at the time and so it was no problem. I can't think of any jobs in this area that would require a woman to cut her hair short. I think there probably is that pressure to conform to the idea of what is "professional" in business or law careers for example. I can't imagine why some sort of a neat and tidy up-do wouldn't be ok for those careers. Right now for me it is the occasional comment or overheard remark about my hair that I think of as social pressure. I have no intention of letting anything deter me in attaining my goal.longhair4ever!Carolyn
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:54pm
> Missouri if there are so many women with waist length> hair in NE! I know I can count on one hand the number> of women in my area over 35 who still have longer than> just below shoulder length hair.I sincerely have no vendetta against Mark, but I'd take what he says with a grain (maybe 1/100th of a grain) of salt. His biography constantly changes, and one of his first messages warned that cutting the hair *damaged* the end of the hair!!Jena
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:54pm
> Carylon, Many ladies do fold and wrap,their long hairtightly the the top of the head,when they are working.You do not see many ladies with their long hair worn down,when they are at many work sites. So if you go arounda lot of businesses,many ladies will have their long hairfold and wrapped at the work site.,so if you come toNortheast Nebraska,there will appear to be many ladieswith short hair,but many ladies will have long hair folded and wrapped.Yes many long hair ladies face intense pressure from societyin the United States,and from businesses in the UnitedStates to get a short haircut. As you know it takes a longtime and a lot patience to grow middle of the back longhair. Pressure from jealous short haired women,for a longhaired lady to get a very short haircut, can set a longhair lady back several years,if she gets a very short haircut.I have a lady,friend RENE who is 42 years old with waistlength hair,who has had her hair tightly folded andwrapped,with one those big hair sticks. She has beenvery worried,that if she wore waist length hair,she wouldbe told by the office manager to get a short haircut.Helen,the office manager at my office loves very shorthair. The office manager,with her very short black hair,said to me when Rene was out to lunch "that lady withwaist length hair,really needs a good short clipper cut,taken down to 2 inches all over" "I hope this businesswill require very short hair on all ladies" I told Rene,what the office manager said,and she said she will standfirm and grow her hair longer,and keep it folded and wrapped.
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Jena,I've observed the same things in Mark's posts. I have wondered if he's for real or just has a thing for talking about women with long hair. I've decided to take him at face value, or should I say word value as we are not really face to face. I hope he is for real and just has a different style of writing. I'm sure in real life no one would repeat the same phrase over and over. I have lurked here for quite a while before posting the first time. And from what I've seen here I decided to take everyone as they represent themselves and try not to be too doubtful just because a particular style of writing seems peculiar to me. For example, Mark constantly uses the word LADY or LADIES. To me that's sort of an antiquated word. To me LADIES implies not only females but a type of behavior. I prefer to use the word WOMEN but that's just my opinion. Ladylike behavior is not something that has ever been a big goal in my life. My mom used to always bitch at me to be more quiet and sedate. I was just not born to be that way! I have always been a little (ok maybe a lot ) rebellious and pretty mouthy. I'd rather be a good WOMAN than an uptight prim and proper LADY. Well, I've certainly gotten off the subject of hair. Sorry 'bout that! Anyways, Jena for the time being I am taking what Mark says with a grain of salt. If he isn't for real he will show it sooner or later.Carolyn B
Carolyn B View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Mark,Would you mind telling us what kind of an office you work in? What type of business is it? I'm just having a very hard time trying to imagine what type of business would or could require women to have short hair. Are you talking about an office situation that involves computers, typing, telephones, filing and paperwork? Why would short hair ever be a requirement? I can see the arguement of company appearance but I'm still having a hard time figuring out what kind of business here in the midwest would be so strict and regimented in their policies.I could understand the police or fire department requiring short hair but that would be on all employees not just women. Construction work might be safer with short hair but I see men in ponytails all the time working in various construction jobs. I see nurses and restaurant/food workers wearing their hair up and often covered with a cap or hairnet. It's been that way ever since I can remember. That's just a matter of cleanliness and is usually required of all workers in those fields.So could you give us a further explanation of what type of company you work for? Could the office manager just been joking? Maybe she was just trying to see what your reaction would be. Do you make your love of long hair known to your co-workers? Just a thought.Carolyn B
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:55pm
> I do not agree. All women look better in long hair.> DAVID, EsquireI think that's a bit rigid. I think long hair looks great if its in good condition and it suits the person's face and body size/shape. I think it looks really overpowering when a tiny petite woman has waist length superthick hair! But hey, its their choice.Now, to all the men...don't any of you think a cool, 60s style geometric angled bob looks good on women? I am 28, with very thick hair that's to the top of my bra strap. I am SO sick of it...it just hangs there. Its also kinda damaged, so I am thinking of getting one of those vidal sasson 6ties bobs (without bangs). I think they are cool, but I am scared to do it.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:55pm
>I work in an electronic plant at a sales officeThe short hair cut rules for ladies have been proposed,but the short rules for a ladies IS NOT a requirement,at this time. I usuaully visit with all departmentsin this electronics plant. As far as the woman officemanager,remarks about very short hair on ladies it is possible she was kidding me. She does know I like long hair on ladies. She might have been joking,about very short haircuts,but there are several ladies,allwith very long hair that have anxiety,about getting a very short haircut. They ladies told me about their concernabout getting a forced haircut.I do know that this woman office manager,wants all longhair ladies to get a supershort clippercut like shehas on herself. She has talked to all of the long hair ladies in the plant,about suggesting they get a very short haircut like her. As of this time,she can NOT enforce any very short haircut standards,for ladies to remain employed.The lady office manager told me she was very jealousof ladies with long hair. She told me this directly tome. She wants her very short hairstyle,to be appliedto all ladies in the plant. She is certainly entitledto her opionion,but she SHOULD NOT FORCE a short haircuton a very long haired lady. This office manager wantedto use company funds,to hire a barber,to give all theladies with long hair, a very short haircut,right onthe company sight. The plant manager,who is man,rejectedthe plan.Some ladies who have very long hair at electronics planthave expressed concern to me,about the office managerstrongly recommending a super short clipper cut.IF the sales office and electronics plant decides to makevery short hair a requirement, I do not know if it willhappen. Carolyn,this lady might have been joking,but there are some ladies who do not think it is a joke.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:55pm
> I sincerely have no vendetta against Mark, but I'd> take what he says with a grain (maybe 1/100th of a> grain) of salt. His biography constantly changes, and> one of his first messages warned that cutting the hair> *damaged* the end of the hair!!> JenaJena who cares if he beleives that cutting the hair can damaged the end of the hair.Beleive it or not that was one of the debates we had on a long hair list. Some people felt that a person should trim and some people felt strongly that they shouldn't.Mark wants to participate on this board and we just allow him. As long we are not insulted by someone who cares about it. AFterall we might learn something. IN life we learn from each other and when we have totally learn everything we die etc.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:55pm
>> You're 29? I didn't know that.No I am 38 and will be 39 on October 19. I am assuming that you seen my message to you below saying I made a mistake when I wrote . ( Diane)> I'll warn you: I really am a runner!Ya but I will have a huge advantage over you Jena! You see you are younger than me so more likely you will probably have a ponytail at the time and when I am running behide you I will yank that ponytail lol I never said I would play fair. lol ( Diane)> Exactly my point. For whatever reason, some women are> incapable of growing their hair long. The longest mine> has ever reached is just above the waist, but it would> never grow longer.My mother choose to have short hair all her life ( Diane)>Okay what else can we play with now Jena lol ( Diane)
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:55pm
> I think that's a bit rigid. I think long hair looks> great if its in good condition and it suits the> person's face and body size/shape. I think it looks> really overpowering when a tiny petite woman has waist> length superthick hair! But hey, its their choice.> Now, to all the men...don't any of you think a cool,> 60s style geometric angled bob looks good on women? I> am 28, with very thick hair that's to the top of my> bra strap. I am SO sick of it...it just hangs there.> Its also kinda damaged, so I am thinking of getting> one of those vidal sasson 6ties bobs (without bangs).> I think they are cool, but I am scared to do it.Dawn,Yes a geometric bob does look good on some women. I am for diversity in hairstyles, why should all women wear the same styles? Short, medium, long are irrelvant. What is relevant is that the woman feels her hairstyle looks good on her, and is confident that she knows others feel the same. I would no more encourage a woman to cut her long hair than I would encourage a woman to grow her short hair out. All that said, I do encourage long haired women to think before leaping. It takes minutes to cut and years to grow out, so do not make a spurious decision on hairstyle. If you are afraid to make the cut, then you have not defintely decided that you want to make the cut. Before getting a geometric bob, go to the clairol site (www.clairol.com) and follow directions for making a picture of yourself. Import the picture and see what you would look like in a shorter hairstyle. This would give you some idea and maybe change your mind-defintiely no or yes let's go for it. Whatever you decide make sure it is your decision. Split end damage can be improved by a good salon, so don't let that enter into your decision. Good luck on your decision and keep us informed.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
> Ya but I will have a huge advantage over you Jena! You> see you are younger than me so more likely you will> probably have a ponytail at the time and when I am> running behide you I will yank that ponytail lol I> never said I would play fair. lol ( Diane)Diane, if you beat me, you may cut my ponytail off! And no, I'm not kidding. :-)> My mother choose to have short hair all her life (> Diane)Well, at least with thick hair, it still probably looks beautiful. :-)Jena
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
> Mark,> Just a couple of weeks ago in an e-mail, you told me> you were single.> Jenajena, you are sooo right about him saying that!
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
This office manager who wants all women to be shorthaired needs to be brought down. The workers should increase her stress level so that she goes crazy and quits. She is evil, evil, evil and deserves the worst life has to offer.DAVID> The short hair cut rules for ladies have been> proposed,> but the short rules for a ladies IS NOT a requirement,> at this time. I usuaully visit with all departments> in this electronics plant. As far as the woman office> manager,remarks about very short hair on ladies it is> possible she was kidding me. She does know I like long> hair on ladies. She might have been joking,> about very short haircuts,but there are several> ladies,all> with very long hair that have anxiety,about getting a> very short haircut. They ladies told me about their> concern> about getting a forced haircut.> I do know that this woman office manager,wants all> long> hair ladies to get a supershort clippercut like she> has on herself. She has talked to all of the long hair> ladies in the plant,about suggesting they get a very> short haircut like her. As of this time,she can NOT> enforce any very short haircut standards,for ladies to> remain employed.> The lady office manager told me she was very jealous> of ladies with long hair. She told me this directly to> me. She wants her very short hairstyle,to be applied> to all ladies in the plant. She is certainly entitled> to her opionion,but she SHOULD NOT FORCE a short> haircut> on a very long haired lady. This office manager wanted> to use company funds,to hire a barber,to give all the> ladies with long hair, a very short haircut,right on> the company sight. The plant manager,who is> man,rejected> the plan.> Some ladies who have very long hair at electronics> plant> have expressed concern to me,about the office manager> strongly recommending a super short clipper cut.> IF the sales office and electronics plant decides to> make> very short hair a requirement, I do not know if it> will> happen. Carolyn,this lady might have been joking,> but there are some ladies who do not think it is a> joke.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
> DAVID, TEN MEN IN MY PLANT,HAVE SIGNED A PETETION FORFOR THE OFFICE MANAGER TO BE DISMISSED. I DO BELIEVETHE OFFICE MANAGER CAN BE DISSMISSED. THESE LADIES ATTHE PLANT REALLY HAVE VERY PRETTY LONG HAIR. THEY WANTTO KEEP THEIR LONG HAIR. I THINK THE TEN OF US MEN GETGET THE OFFICE MANAGER FIRED. ABOUT TEN LADIES WITH LONGHAIR PROTESTED ANY HAIR CUT. I THINK THE PLANT MANAGERUNDERSTANDS THE OFFICE MANAGER WILL NEED TO BE TERMINATED.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
>JENA, I have right to express my own thoughts and feelingsand ideas on the hairboard. You have been very arrogant,snotty are sarcastic. I hold different opionions on thehairboard than you,but your personal comments about meare NOT warranted. You keep trying to pick on me,withsome type of negative comments about my ideas. It is gettingold. You are resorting to smear tactics,which is not calledfor.
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
> Now, to all the men...don't any of you think a cool,> 60s style geometric angled bob looks good on women? I> am 28, with very thick hair that's to the top of my> bra strap. I am SO sick of it...it just hangs there.> Its also kinda damaged, so I am thinking of getting> one of those vidal sasson 6ties bobs (without bangs).> I think they are cool, but I am scared to do it.My wife did *exactly* this in the summer of 1998. We were on a trip to Atlanta, and she made an appointment at the Vidal Sassoon hair salon there. She got her hair cut in the 60's wedge-bob, and it looked GREAT! Best haircut she had in a decade, first real haircut in 5 years in fact.She went from bra-strap length to geometric bob. Yeah, she was nervous a little on the "big day", but she went throught with it, and later was glad that she did. We had champaigne in our hotel room later that day.I got to watch the whole haircut from beginning to end. It was a BIG DEAL to get that much hair cut at once, but the stylist was a real pro: very gentile and talented. The most amazing moment in the haircut came when he had finished one side of the geometric cut, then let the other side down to section it off to finish the cut. The contrast was quite amazing: long wavy hair on one side, short (half-way up her ear and wedged about halfway around the back) on the other.She was very happy with the result and so was I!My suggestion to you: go for the change, but find a really talented stylist to do the job. Going short from long is a big deal, so make sure that you get exactly what you want.Zorak
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:56pm
> jena, you are sooo right about him saying that!So what! So he said he was single and now he is saying he just got married. So what?`Gee I tend to take the side of the underdog.I really don't care if someone is single or married or divorce etc as long they participate nicely on the baord.So he has some strong views that were leaning toward one side of the fence and so what!Some people have views that are on the opposite side of the fence and some people views are about the middle of the fence.Lets not forget what the hair boutique warned us if we don't behave.
Mark View Drop Down

>CaroylnI am a very polite,and formal man. I have been raised tobe polite and use clean and formal language. I am forreal and I do exist. Jena has twisted my image in verynegative way. I like to do amateur paintings are I dostudy art. I like to talk about long hair on ladies.This Hairboard Site is for discussion about long hair,Jena has certainly not been polite,but has been negativeand arrogant about my personality. It is true,there arevery few ladies left in the United States.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic