Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gender vs Hair length

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jaimee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaimee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gender vs Hair length
    Posted: February 09 2000 at 3:04pm
I am curious as to how hair length got to be an indicator of gender. If you look back in history, you see hair length on both sexes go up and down. As I look through these message boards, I notice that there is a lot of put downs being issued against those who want to explore or wear their hair in the length or style of the opposite sex. My question is, how did we arrive at the status quo? Our hair length and styles weren't always at what many perceive as "normal".
Who says that if you have long hair, you are a woman or if you have short hair, you are a man? Does hair make you either man or woman? I think the trends we see today is a part of the normal evolution of fashion. It is an indicator that we as a society, are desiring change just like the changes that occurred to get us where we are today. I think that The Wahl Clipper Manufacturer and other companies like them, make to convenient for people to tell a man to "Get a Haircut". Why don't we all relax and enjoy a natural part of our bodies and quit imposing our restrictive standards on others, which by the way was established by the military.
renaissanceman View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renaissanceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2000 at 7:06pm
I just now stumbled upon this website because as an artist
and as a man, I consider lengthy hair on women to be one of
the most glorious things on earth. Yours is the first
posting I've read and I too am intriqued by the question.
I've wondered, am I entirely subjective about this,
culturally indoctrinated, or is there something universal,
even spiritual about this? In the Bible, Paul talks about
long hair on a woman as being glorious-- and in terms that
indicate he means this as a universal, non-subjective truth.
I tend to agree, but then, one could say, "That's just
because you're a Christian." (Or "That's just because you're
a man.") And one might have a point there. But I do know
that considering long hair on a woman helps me understand
the very word, "glory" and, I think, God, who made man and
woman
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2000 at 8:00pm
Hi Jaimee,

Very interesting post. Lotsa good questions, too.

(Among other things), you asked, "Why don't we all relax and enjoy a natural part of our bodies and quit imposing our restrictive standards on others?"

I like your thinking. I have very long hair and you wouldn't believe the grief I get about it. Sure, I get compliments on it too, which are very nice, but I sometimes get criticism -- and I never ask for opinions. Plus, there are oftentimes people trying to pressure me to cut it. What's interesting is that when my hair was short, nobody ever pressured me to grow my hair long, or criticized my choice to wear my hair short.

So, "why don't we all relax... and quit imposing restrictive standards on others?" The answer is contained within one word: control. Prospective employers want to hire "clean"-cut clones. Parents want "respectable" dolls for children, of whom they can be proud. The salon industry wants customers to frequent salons for the latest, high-maintenance fashions. And the military wants its inductees to be stripped of their individuality.

Dave
hre View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2000 at 12:33am
You ask some really excellent questions. While I have thought about some of them as well I have not come up with the answers. Personally I suspect that the Wahl company merely made a product that followed the status quo for short hair on men but I don't really know much about the company or its history.

I do suspect the teachings of Paul where he says something similar to (I'm probably mutilating this) long hair is a glory on women but shameful on men played a role in this idea becoming doctrine but I have no idea why this did not seem to be significant to earlier Christian societies. That and short hair in the military for practical and uniformity reasons played a role. Was long hair on men more socially acceptable before WW I perhaps? I think it funny how short hair on men seems to be a "conservative" value while this country was founded by men wearing wigs with pony tails.

Regardless of how we got to the current status quo, it is my belief that there are many many unimaginative people in the world and that the most unimaginative people are somehow threatened by what they perceive unusual. It is precisely these people that seem to think it is their right and duty to impose their puny view of the world onto others. Very sad that we seem to pay attention to them.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2000 at 7:16pm
Okay I won't be popular among you guys here but I think it will be one hell of a sad day when everything is so blended.
dianefromcanada
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2000 at 8:41pm
Women's hairstyles have been widely varied for some time, whereas men's hairstyles have tended to be more uniform (though that's changing).

Would you be willing to elaborate on your concern ("it will be one hell of a sad day...")? Do you mean to say that you wished that "men looked like men?" (i.e., with short hair?) And if so do you have the same lament about women, that they "looked like women?" (i.e., with long hair?) Just curious. Thanks!

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2000 at 10:34pm
Hello Dave:

Perms, a bit of curls doesn't bother me nor means anything but being conservative if some male would come out having a spiral would really bother me. ( being honest)
I don't want it come to the point that it is unisex all the way. The industry is starting to go that way with the market because they can make more money like eyeframes, clothing but at the same time I sense we as women are slowly losing our identity with that attitude.
My personal preference is short hair on men but it doesn't mean that I don't respect someone that cares for longer hair.
I feel that both sexes are losing out with this unisex attitude.

YOu will have your own opinion Dave on the subject base on the fact you have long hair but you have to understand that I also have my own preferences just like you.
Diane
dianefromcanada
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2000 at 9:29am
Hi Diane,

Please understand that I'm not disagreeing with you.

I'm just curious if you can explain how you feel that both sexes "lose out with a unisex attitude." How does this trend make you feel? What is lost? And how do women "lose their identity" with a unisex attitude?

I'm just honestly curious. Thanks Diane!

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2000 at 6:42pm
Hello Dave:

I'm just curious if you can explain how you feel that both sexes "lose out with a unisex attitude."

I am going after the woman's hairstyles. There is trend to look more masculine. AT times I really have to study someone to know if that person is a female or male and that person can easily be attractive. In my opinion if I have to really study a female because her hairstyle than I find it is not a style that compliments her as a whole person. I sense that she lost out being the person that she can be. There are many others short styles that are way more flattering.
I can't say that I seen a hairstyle on a man that isn't flattering. I have seem men with perms but still have a masculine look to it and that is very attractive. They look like models in many ways. I feel it is very important to keep the diffirence in sexes about to show the beauty of each sex.
Now I am not saying that long hair on men isn't attractive because I certainly have a thing for Fabio lol.
And remember that guy that I told you once that had your lenght of hair and I told you that he was the most gorgeous man? lol
But I really fear this unisex attitude because already I see
the tragedy that it creates in some ways. ( watch it now someone will complain about this now lol)
What about showing all the beauty that each sex can be? AT times I see how we are cheated when we go shopping and can't find something for example that is very feminine in eyeframe, or clothing at times.
I look at all that stuff and it seems to me that it so blended to the point that we can't be feminine or masculine at times and that is a tragedy.
Does that makes any sense to you DAve?

dianefromcanada
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2000 at 2:15am
For the most part, I agree with Diane. I certainly don't want all men to be cookie cutter images of each other, nor do I want women to be the same. But the fact is that men and women are different, and not just in "plumbing"! I'm not threatened by androgyny, but I find it sad that we're trying so hard to equalize everyone out to where sex (meaning gender) doesn't matter. If we're not careful, women will forget how to be feminine and men will forget how to be masculine! BTW, I don't like spiky short haircuts on women any better than I like long, luxurious hair on men! I absolutely respect the right and wish of each individual to wear his hair how he wishes but usually find that a man looks most masculine with shorter hair and a woman most feminine with longer hair. I just find it boring when men and women try to look all the same. I personally prefer to celebrate the differences between men and women, not try to close the gap.

But trying to "equalize" the sexes is wrong and has proved to be a disaster, but I'm speaking outside the realm of hair, at this point.

Jennifer
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2000 at 9:06pm
This discussion seems headed beyond the realm of hair, but the question you both seem to be asking is "to what extent is masculinity/femininity inherent in our genetics (as manifested in our hormones and our bodies), and to what extent is it a result of acculturation?" Clearly the physical characteristics remain distinct, but the behavioral have become more blurred. While (for whatever reasons) women may have "taken the lead" in breaking down gender-defined appearances, men have, to a lesser degree, also chosen to do the same. When you come right down to it, hair -- as it grows from the scalp -- is a *physical* characteristic that is essentially identical in both men and women. Why we do what we do with the hair that grows from our heads is the reflection of societally accultured behavior.

The question you might want to ask yourselves is "who is shaping societal attitudes towards hair, and why (what are their motivations)?" As hre said, when you're a guy, "no one tells you to do something different with your style because you look outdated, and there is no pressure to change the color of my hair." Salons do considerable business feeding off of the insecurities of women, and steer them toward behavior that keeps them coming back for more.

Dave
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2000 at 10:50am
I think that these millions of men with short haircuts that conform are weak and insecure about themselves. The same goes for the women out there who conform and think that they have to have long hair to be feminine and those who have to have the latest style because it is "in".
Someone here spoke about things being blended. Well look at the guys around you and you will most likely find that they all blend because they have very similar short cuts and therfore look very much alike.
From the Biblical point, all of the pictures that we see of Jesus show him as having nice long flowing hair. Was he not following God's guidelines and disrespecting him? Is that why he was crucifide? I don't think so. So why crucify men whom for whatever reason like and/or want longer hair?
Another thing that gets me is that women get to choose lengths and styles based on what looks good on them and what fits their God given features no matter whether it be super short or super long or anything in between. Yet men do not have that as an option (usually) because of all of these stereotypes, rules, and roles that are not based on anything other than one persons opinion who decided that long hair was for women and short hair for men. Then that person gained conformist followers and the trend began.
I personally think that each person has different features which are best shown off with a hair length/style that fits those features. Some women with short hair are aweful sexy to me but so are some women with medium length hair and some with long hair. Also, some women with curly hair are very attractive but so are some with stick straight hair. Now in the same context some men look better with short hair, some better with medium hair, and some better with long hair.
Each is entitled to his/her opinion but you should not try to manipulate or ridicule a person (male or female)for making a personal choice to express their freedom of expression and freedom from conforming. If you want to be the same as others do it but let those of us that don't have that freedom.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2000 at 1:01pm
Why we do what we do with the hair that grows from our heads is the reflection of societally accultured behavior.

I agree with this Dave and it is upsetting when the norm is not followed. ( Diane)

As hre said, when you're a guy, "no one tells you to do something different with your style because you look outdated, and there is no pressure to change the color of my hair."
That isn't true! You guys haven't been shopping lately , watching TV or reading magazines because men have lots of updated hairstyles to choose from and the fashion industry itself sends messages to change with the times and always have men with great new hairstyles wearing exciting new clothes etc. Plus tons of men dye their hair to look much younger ( Diane)

Salons do considerable business feeding off of the insecurities of women, and steer them toward behavior that keeps them coming back for more.

Where do you get this stuff??? lol Firstly salons do not feed off women's insecurities. It is our nature to want to be sexy , younger, exciting etc. It is not an insecurity. That wants makes us feminine by nature. ( Diane)

The question you might want to ask yourselves is "who is shaping societal attitudes towards hair, and why (what are their motivations)?"
Well Dave it is not the fashion industry that shapes our attitudes but years and years of history and attitudes within generations, cultures, nationalities . There is no motivation but an attitude to be exciting, sexy etc. Just the normal stuffs since the beginning of life on earth lol ( Diane)
dianefromcanada
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2000 at 3:20pm
Where do I get this stuff? Observation!

Women want to be feel and be seen as "sexy, young and exciting." Salons cut, color and perm hair. So then how do they appeal to that desire? They tell women that the key to being and feeling "sexy, young and exciting" is to purchase the products and services that they sell. Women are told that long hair "drags down their face" and "makes them look older," so the prescription to "correcting" that "problem" is a haircut resulting in shorter hair. Women are told that their hair is limp and flat, so the prescription to "correcting" this "problem" is short layers on top for height and volume. Women are told that their haircolor is "mousy" or "dull," so the prescription for this "problem" is haircolor that will make their hair "vibrant" and "rich."

It is generally accepted that hair is a beauty asset, so removing healthy length is not a beauty-enhancing step. Cutting short layers into the crown results in a choppy appearance, destroying the clean lines of flowing hair. And one's own haircolor is naturally rich, whereby the strands are comprised of many similar shades of the overall color, but artificial haircoloring has a tendency to minimize, if not eliminate, the range of colors of the individual strands.

The products and services offered by most salons are designed to facilitate such changes, but they do not necessarily enhance a woman's beauty.

Dave
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2000 at 6:15pm
Hi Dave,

>>Women are told that long hair "drags down their face" and "makes them look older," so the prescription to "correcting" that "problem" is a haircut resulting in shorter hair. Women are told that their hair is limp and flat, so the prescription to "correcting" this "problem" is short layers on top for height and volume.

I have to say that a good haircut can make a HUGE difference in a person's appearance. First of all the word "layering" with regard to hair still scares the daylights out of me because I remember those horrid little "wings" of bangs and severe layering of the 70s. You'll be pleased to know that I never partook in such a barbaric activity (!) but in all honesty, there really aren't that many people who look great in hair that is all one-length. Karen from the Hair Boutique is a pleasant exception! If I ever find a before and after photo of a woman whose hair has been gently layered, I will definitely send it to you.

When I finally let my stylist cut just a tiny bit of hair in the front, I looked totally different. The hair looked thicker and fuller and was much softer around my face. I actually have small facial features, so you can imagine how it would look on someone with more prominent features! Also, with the "dragging down of the face" (I know we've discussed this before) maybe a good way to really see how it works is to look at a photo of a woman that is cropped just below her chin, so you can't see the length of her hair. All you'll see is some straight hair on the side of her face. Hmmm....you know, I think we have some kind of a photo manipulation program around here. When I have a moment, I might try to find a face of someone and show you what I mean!

>>It is generally accepted that hair is a beauty asset, so removing healthy length is not a beauty-enhancing step. Cutting short layers into the crown results in a choppy appearance, destroying the clean lines of flowing hair.

Into the crown? I could not agree more! Hair that has been layered well doesn't "look" layered. Although hair is a beauty asset, I think adding style adds style to the person as a whole. A short, overweight woman is most likely going to look overbalanced with extremely long hair. Her hair may be extremely beautiful! But it may not suit her body type. Now....I've got the height (almost 6') but not the genes for extremely long hair! {grin} Conversely, though, an extremely short haircut on someone very thin or very fat is only going to accentuate her size.

>>The products and services offered by most salons are designed to facilitate such changes, but they do not necessarily enhance a woman's beauty.

Definitely agreed. To me personally, too much is too much when attention is drawn directly to the "procedure." In other words, when you look at someone and instead of noticing her beauty as a whole, you notice her make-up job (which means she's either used too much or has used colors not flattering to her) or her hair color. Some magazines are especially guilty of telling young girls about all the expensive products they'll need to look cool, sophisticated, and with-it. Having said that, I'm also a little girl at heart who just loves playing "dress-up" with new clothes, make-up, and hairstyles! {grin}

Jennifer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2000 at 11:20pm
Where do I get this stuff? Observation!

You have to remember Dave that you already have an opinion and might be blinded to what is best for women. ( diane)

They tell women that the key to being and feeling "sexy, young and exciting" is to purchase the products and services that they sell.

that is too vague Dave. Firstly there is nothing wrong with the services they offer. Many women love it and some don't so what is the problem? ( Diane)

Women are told that long hair "drags down their face" and "makes them look older," so the prescription to "correcting" that "problem" is a haircut resulting in shorter hair.

to be perfectly honest Dave long hair isn't for everyone and at times long hair does make someone look a lot older and at times short hair makes a person look a lot older. I agree that long hair can drag down someone face at times. ( Diane)

Women are told that their hair is limp and flat, so the prescription to "correcting" this "problem" is short layers on top for height and volume.
No Dave women themselves feel that they own hair at times is limp and flat and yes layers do help. ( Diane)

Women are told that their haircolor is "mousy" or "dull," so the prescription for this "problem" is haircolor that will make their hair "vibrant" and "rich."

Women themselves feel that they want a diffirent color for a change and yes haircoloring does make hair seem more vibrant at times. ( Diane)

It is generally accepted that hair is a beauty asset, so removing healthy length is not a beauty-enhancing step.

Based on what????? Heck that is your male opinion only. YOu are not a female and have no idea how a female feels. ( Diane)

The bottom line I have no idea what is your problem with salons. They are not the enemy. They do serve the client as the clients wants it that way. ( Diane)
dianefromcanada
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2000 at 6:26pm
Diane said, "You have to remember Dave that you already have an opinion and might be blinded to what is best for women."

I don't profess to know what is "best" for women. The only thing I've done here is to document my observations about the way "beauty" products and services are "marketed."

Diane said, "that is too vague Dave. Firstly there is nothing wrong with the services they offer. Many women love it and some don't so what is the problem?"

I'm not saying that there is anything "wrong" with the services that they offer. I'm merely reflecting on the way in which these services are "marketed."

Diane said, "to be perfectly honest Dave long hair isn't for everyone and at times long hair does make someone look a lot older and at times short hair makes a person look a lot older. I agree that long hair can drag down someone face at times."

Everybody's got an opinion, sure. Why is it, though, that you never hear or read in the media similarly unkind comments about short hairstyles? (not that I wish to see them, mind you).

Diane said, "No Dave women themselves feel that they own hair at times is limp and flat and yes layers do help."

It's a shame that women feel badly about having hair that would be described by some as "limp" or "flat." Not that my opinion should necessarily matter, but some hairstyles I've seen criticized by others as being "flat" look good to me.

Diane said, "Women themselves feel that they want a diffirent color for a change and yes haircoloring does make hair seem more vibrant at times."

Just curious... why the desire for a different haircolor? I myself have never felt any motivation to change my own God-given haircolor, so this is something I don't understand. Enlighten me.

Diane said, "Based on what????? Heck that is your male opinion only. YOu are not a female and have no
idea how a female feels."

Sure, it's my opinion. Everybody has their own opinion, and I've expressed mine. Why do you have a problem with my expressing my opinion?

Diane said, "The bottom line I have no idea what is your problem with salons. They are not the enemy. They do serve the client as the clients wants it that way."

Who called salons "the enemy?" Surely, not I...

Yes, they do serve their clients, but certain "celebrity" hairstylists within the industry have "helped" to shape attitudes towards acceptability of certain choices, to the general betterment of the industry (and not necessarily that of the individual).

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2000 at 9:39pm
Diane said, "Women themselves feel that they want a diffirent color for a change and yes haircoloring does make hair seem more vibrant at times.
and Dave said "Just curious... why the desire for a different haircolor? I myself have never felt any motivation to change my own God-given haircolor, so this is something I don't

Because it is exciting to be a diffirent color! ( Diane)

Why do you have a problem with my expressing my opinion?

I wasn'td aware I had a problem with your opinion only your attitude. YOu are not fair in seeing equaling the value of what everything can bring. ( Diane)

Who called salons "the enemy?" Surely, not I...

Let me refresh you that salons feed on the insecurity of woman. Wow we women must be shallow ( Diane)
dianefromcanada
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic